The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Crommi :If you're even remotely insterested in road racing, Skippy is definately worth it. It can be quite handful at start but it's very good for learning tracks.

Which is better out of the Skippy and Mazda?

And which road track?
Quote from Doorman :Just get in the car, slam the door and drive. Stop pussyfooting around. Be brave, it'll make a man out of you.

Rofl

Btw, Doorman doorman... where do I got your name from? Either positive or negative, but know there is something to that name, tell me hmm..
Nervermind, but well, one day I'll maybe use cockpit veiw, one day...
Skip Barber is most fun imo...and Virginia track is awesome..
Quote from StableX :totally agree.... love doing the TT's in this!

The skippy takes a lot to get the control and slide right. I've just got the Mazda and I think that is awesome fun! On Laguna its a real pleasure to drive!

Bollocks. I got the hang of the Skippy after an hour or 2, at Lime Rock no less. Lowe's Road Course is a cake walk by comparison. I'm running low 1:21's in time trials there (high 1:20's in races when I get a draft) and I'm only on my second week in the game.

Quote from richard dk :Skip Barber is most fun imo...and Virginia track is awesome..

I'm going there for the first time on my birthday in April, on the Patriot course, then again in August and September on the North and South courses, on my motorcycle.
I'll see if I can save up for 'em.

Unless anyone wants to be generous? :P
It's hard to say which is more fun, initially I'd say Skip Barber car but that's probably down to the fact that I'm just only starting understand Mazda which seems to be far more difficult car to drive fast. Also on you really need to get into setups with that thing, unlike Skippy that you can run one set for whole season.
The skippy is defintely great. It's easier to drive fast than the Mazda but probably the hardest car in iRacing to drive slowly. The Mazda on the other hand is easy at 7 to 8/10ths but takes a little getting used to to find the limit. Took me a lot of practice till I started to really like it. It felt sort of dead at first, but once you figure out that the limit on that car is way beyond where you initially expected it to be it really starts to come alive.

That said, I still consider myself a noob in the Mazda and am not nearly as competitive as I was in the skippy, where I could get within 102% of the fastest times on most tracks. In the Mazda I'm struggling to get into the 104% range (although I'm telling myself that that's partly due to lack of practice).

Overall I think I still like the skippy most, but I haven't driven it since last season. Real life has not even let me participate in the Mazda series properly and there's definitely no time for a second series currently.
I'm going to have to go with the Skippy since I basically skipped the mazda by just doing 4 TT's at Infineon
Hmm...anyone know if the default set on the Rookie Legends can be changed? I'm running about .4x to 1s off the pace with it
Nope. Only the Advanced cars can be changed.
Quote from Forbin :I'm going there for the first time on my birthday in April, on the Patriot course, then again in August and September on the North and South courses, on my motorcycle.

I`m jealous.. Take some pictures..
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Hmm...anyone know if the default set on the Rookie Legends can be changed? I'm running about .4x to 1s off the pace with it

You're probably too rough on entry and/or not being smooth with throttle. Good entry means you can get back on gas sooner.

Common problem for those cars is overheating or wearing out RF tire which causes bad understeer, but fast guys counter it by using little bit of apron to loosen up the car and turn it that way without having to use plenty of steering. This really helps preserving your tires and getting low like that also does good for laptimes.

Btw, you should try unrestricted Advanced version too, rookie version hits rev limiter right where the fun is just about to start
I agree, get to the Legend advanced as soon as possible. If you get the chance to try the Lowes Legend oval, I love that. but the legend road event is awesome
Quote from Crommi :You're probably too rough on entry and/or not being smooth with throttle. Good entry means you can get back on gas sooner.

Common problem for those cars is overheating or wearing out RF tire which causes bad understeer, but fast guys counter it by using little bit of apron to loosen up the car and turn it that way without having to use plenty of steering. This really helps preserving your tires and getting low like that also does good for laptimes.

Btw, you should try unrestricted Advanced version too, rookie version hits rev limiter right where the fun is just about to start

Been working on that, I'm now smoother into the turns at South Boston, I swing low, hit the apron/yellow line wth the LF, swing back up to the wall

My best? 18.2 at SoBo in the Rookie Legend

EDIT:
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Nope. Only the Advanced cars can be changed.

GTFO the track, I want to race you Dustin
Quote from Doorman :My God! I never in a million years thought I'd see those words written by TVE. Whatever next, Zeugnimod?

Nooo, I won't back down as fast as TVE.
Maybe I'm doing this wrong but the whole only being able to be in one series at a time thing is really annoying. Is it possible to go from a road race one hour to an oval race the next hour without leaving one series and signing up for the other one? And does jumping between series all the time hurt me at all? I don't really get that system, and I'm only going back and forth between the two beginner ones for the most part. Seems like it would annoy me even more if I had more content.

Am I doing something wrong?
I don't think there's a problem with doing multiple series at once. I think they may actually be scheduled so you can.
Nah, all you are doing is "selecting" a different series. It's like selecting a different car in LFS.
it is pretty annoying imo...I hope they streamline is soon. At least you can do the test window so you can drive anything without changing series. It would be nice to have a "road race" and an "oval race" tab...hmmm to the feedback section!
In the race tab they should just have a drop down for what car you want to drive, and then when you pick a car the track drop down is populated with any series running that car. Once you pick your series, you'd be at the session screen, then you're good to go. This would streamline the whole process and eliminate a lot of unnecessary steps for entering a race. Like spanks said, the "test" tab works good, they should model the "race" tab the same way.
Fresh promo video has been released along with official iRacing channel on Youtube. More videos will surely follow as drivers have been submitting race footage for past few weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/user/iRacingTV
Well, they certainly know marketing - I'd even go as far as calling it their strongest point...
Quote from bbman :Well, they certainly know marketing - I'd even go as far as calling it their strongest point...

Simracing community in a whole is quite small and every attempt to get the word out and bring in new people gets "thumbs up" from me. LFS has zero presence outside the community and Simbin products fall into sequel loop where previous game is forgotten soon as new version comes out.

Before someone points it out, yes I know LFS is being by MTV3 (finnish channel that broadcasts F1 races here) for the competition they have going on, but "LFS" or "Live for Speed" are not actually mentioned anywhere on the webpage.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG