The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
I don't have the radical yet, nor those tracks. Might look into it this weekend
Haven't bought Radical either, but been working on Legends Ford setups for Laguna Seca and Summit Point.
Hahaha, just had a very unfortunate race in a 2956 strength field - Alien city.

Started 7th, ended 7th and spent most of my time just hotlapping relentlessly - it paid off! I dropped my time from 25.5 to 25.4 to 25.2 in the race. I did have some spectacular near-crashes though, but the only driver behind me had jumped the start and he was a lap down due to the penalty, so I decided to just focus on face-ripping white-knuckle laps. Amusing to realise that the top 3 were driving almost a second per lap quicker though, and without breaking a sweat!
Didn't go too well for me either, embarrassing mistake on T1 and my front wing touched rear wheel of a car running ahead of me. Impact wasn't hard but sent him off the track anyways. I thought, "oh well, shit happens when you're racing" and decided to sort it out after racing but the guy got furious and started spamming on the chat. Sent him a PM after the race but apparently I now have protest filed against me.

I understand that it's easy to get upset about stuff like that but really....
I really wouldn't worry about that too much, it sounds like a race-incident, and apparantly some people think that they can file protests for that. That system is only meant to pick out intentional wreckers, and they don't exist in iRacing as far as I know. At least I'd sure as hell not pay a monthly fee to drive backwards through traffic for shits and giggles
Quote from Jertje :I really wouldn't worry about that too much, it sounds like a race-incident, and apparantly some people think that they can file protests for that. That system is only meant to pick out intentional wreckers, and they don't exist in iRacing as far as I know. At least I'd sure as hell not pay a monthly fee to drive backwards through traffic for shits and giggles

I have seen a few driver intentionaly wreck other drivers, mainly in the oval field. A Diplomacy degree is needed sometimes in oval racing, due to the nature some touchs happen, yet people can get really worked up about it, with some going to the extreme length of intentionaly wrecking others. I know the guy I did see (others I've heard about) got banned within 12 hours of the report going in agaisnt him.
Just bought Radical and took it for a spin around Silverstone GP.
That huge rear wing sure is not just for the looks, it adds HUGE amounts of downforce and even small adjustment will have dramatic impact on corner behavior. I loaded baseline setup and took it down by one click and also fiddled around with ARBs to kill some of that understeer. It's still completely different beast than Skippy and you must avoid going on throttle too early or you're going to understeer off the track. But do it right and it's amazing how fast it changes direction and way it flies through Maggotts is just incredible.

Now... off to testdrive Mazda
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :I have seen a few driver intentionaly wreck other drivers, mainly in the oval field. A Diplomacy degree is needed sometimes in oval racing, due to the nature some touchs happen, yet people can get really worked up about it, with some going to the extreme length of intentionaly wrecking others. I know the guy I did see (others I've heard about) got banned within 12 hours of the report going in agaisnt him.

iRacing don't mess around. Be a dick, a troll or wreck people and your out the door. What do they call it...being Zerkled
Quote from Crommi :Just bought Radical and took it for a spin around Silverstone GP.
That huge rear wing sure is not just for the looks, it adds HUGE amounts of downforce and even small adjustment will have dramatic impact on corner behavior. I loaded baseline setup and took it down by one click and also fiddled around with ARBs to kill some of that understeer. It's still completely different beast than Skippy and you must avoid going on throttle too early or you're going to understeer off the track. But do it right and it's amazing how fast it changes direction and way it flies through Maggotts is just incredible.

Now... off to testdrive Mazda

Last night I bought everything I was missing. Daytona, Silverstone, Barber, a bunch of ovals, the SK and Silver crown. I now own everything. Barber is so well done. The elevation is so different then the one we got in rFactor. Amazing track. I really love the SK. Love seeing the suspention arm moving up and down. The sound of it is so cool. I was unimpressed with the Silver Crown. But will be fun running that car on the high banks. Daytona was as expected. Great fun track with the Radical.
That was one short testdrive, could get one full lap done before I had to stop because it felt like my ears were about to bleed. Mazda sounds are just horrible, it's even worse than BF1 in LFS. It sounds really bad quality with all that crackling noise in higher revs.

Edit: Posted the issue on iRacing forums, I hope I find some solution to this.
I also got most of the road stuff I was missing, however I spent more time trying to break into the damn 1.24's. I don't even care how I do it anymore, it's just personal now - if there are people who can almost drive a 1.23 then I should be able to break into the 1.24's, but it's just not happening so far.

Perfect laps suddenly turn out to be 1.26es and horribly poorly driven laps are proper 1.25's. I know it's just me being paranoid, but it feels as if the game doesn't time fairly; I've done laps where I literally knew for sure that it was driven to the best of my ability, with a combination of all my skill and feel, and then it's just crushing to see that it's actually a high 1.25, when during a race I've driven a 1.25.2 when I had a terrible exit to the hairpin, and wasn't even trying to drive fast.

It's not just me overdriving too, I've tried taking it easy; it just makes me slower - it's witchcraft and is going to drive me absolutely nuts.

End of rant, normal service is resumed

Edit: just saw Huttu's 1.24.0xx, he just slides the car around everywhere, whereas I'm neat all the way through except the two snake-corners in the mid-section. I guess I'm just misjudging what the fastest way to drive is?
holy shit O_O

the radical is like...amazing

anyone who wants to know what the lx8 would be like should drive this thing....

I just took it around laguna seca after messing around with it at infineon. I know the turns at infineon, just not how to do a proper lap yet, and I wanted to see what it could do.

I'm blown away.

Make sure if you're gonna drive the radical that you switch over to sequential gear shift mode. It is a sequential box, but the game doesn't automatically switch.

You can practically give it 100% brakes at speed and it won't lock up...you can brake so late into turn 1, from 6th to 2nd ahhhh its amazing haha I want a real one!
My left hand has broken down - I'm out for today :P
just bought the late model and skippy + VIR, sonoma and two oval tracks... Guess I won't be having much fun next week, but I can race the late model and skippy series now (although I am still missing 3 tracks for the late model series)
Well, that race didn't go too well. I just realised that having a fast setup doesn't really do no good if it takes 15 laps to get used to it.
Meh, I'm totally done with the Skippy and Infineon Cup right now. My last 3 races were dreadful, and I can't drive as fast as I did yesterday - and every lap that I don't I become more and more frustrated. I'm not sure if it's the car or the track, but I'm missing 1% performance on my laptimes (when compared by calculating my solstice times vs Luke Mclean)

It's not so much the fact that I don't improve that bothers me, it's just that there is something about the combo that I don't 'get', something inexplicable that just annoys the living hell out of me

Whatever that is, I've been pushing myself too much (8h of practice yesterday, anyone?) and being too hard on myself; my pace is fine. It's probably just my attitude and ego that won't accept the fact that I can't drive a 1.24 yet.

Time to focus a bit on the fun week, I drove the Radical a bit and it seems like a lot of fun; if a bit understeery on power. I wish I could do setups ;D
I know the feeling, I'm constantly placed in +2k rated races where people are lapping way faster times than me. Earlier this week there was races for my level but now it's just alien-nation.

Also noticed that there's barely anyone running Adv. Legends.
Sure, it's not a highspeed oval this week, but it's damn fun and quite challenging compared to other tracks. It's like oval version of Jefferson course.

For Radical, drop rearwing by one click for Silverstone and you should have a good starting point for tweaking.
well i ballsed it up this morning, came home from work at 6.30 and didnt have to take son to karate till 8.45 so thought i'd catch the advanced solstice race on the jefferson course at summit, so entered and then did a comfortable 30 mins of testing, got a new pb of 1.01.2 and didnt go off once and ran no higher than 1.04s.

then the mistake

thought i've got 30 mins to kill and i wonder what the skippy is like here, had a bit of a go, got down to 57s with baseline set after 4 laps and then grabbed a quick coffee before joining the warmup, did a comfortable 1.02.00 and was 2nd fastest so felt pretty good.

oh dear the race, well it started off well, i was last on grid which suited me as i've avoided qualifying to make sure i was out of way till im more confident with the feel of the brakes at t1 on l1 . at the start the car in front jumped and then had to go left onto the grass and stopped at 90 degrees to track so that was one car out of way, another fell off at t3 and i was up to 4th and thinking this would be ok, everyone else has a higher SR so i should score ok but then the doubt started, after driving the skippy i was struggling to be consistent especially at the bend onto the back straight, the skippy slides the rear if your coasting, the solstice doesnt turn in and were as before i was happy with a gently understeer tilll the inner kerb and then accelerating, now i was struggling to have the confidence to push the pedal. on lap 9 (ish) i was passed for 4th after making a hash of this bend. no problem, he can go, and i didnt fight it, but whilst thinking about it i completly messed up my approach to the final set of turns and missed the slight right hander !, slid accross the first part of the left hander and straight into the barrier, tried a lap or so with the damage and gave up

guess thats why you never see an F1 driver jump out of his car 30 mins before a race and have a quick go in a porsche cup car!

still i still managed to improve my SR some how depsite 3 loss of control and a contact
see, I don't get that. how can you have 3 big off's like you had and still improve the SR. I guess not everything is perfect
Could someone explain what the hell does corner weight actually mean?
Raising suspension increases the corner weight on that tire, but I've always thought that if I raise front-end for an example, it moves the center of mass towards the rear and vice versa.
the skippy is very difficult to drive...I haven't quite gotten it yet.

That and every time I sit down I seem to jump in the radical now

It really needs a clutch pack with some preload in there..the lift oversteer is just too much

:/

I just went a 1:26.9

I have no idea where to lose 2 seconds
I had the same problem when switching from the Solstice to the Skippy Daniel. The driving styles for both cars are almost polar opposites; it takes some getting used to, but on the limit the car will feel great just like the Solstice does.

What sort of laps are you guys running on Silverstone btw? I hardly know the track and didn't spend more than a couple of laps trying to get around, but I thought I was doing a 1.50 at the end with some setup; I think I overwrote the original baseline setup, and I don't know how to revert it? Ah well, the Radical seems to control a bit odd under power, but I'll look into all of that tomorrow.
I'm not 100% sure but 1.49 on Silverstone and 1.48.2 on Daytona.
Daytona T1 is kinda scary....
I don't actually have daytona or silverstone...I just got the radical because if you get 3 things at once you get 10% off, and the radical is a badass car.

It has an aweful push at speed though. Its almost like the steering input isn't fast enough. Hand over hand to go through the esses at infineon is pretty terrible.

Comparing how it drives to the radical @ nurburgring video...it does seem a bit wrong in game.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iwtyZosuPNE
Do you have steering in iRacing set to 900 degrees? Any less and it doesn't work in a linear fashion, and you get speed sensitive steering.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG