The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Boing boing:

http://blip.tv/file/1148270/

It's finally done uploading. I pretty much know where I lose time, but there's a difference between knowing where to gain it and doing it

Oh, and in case it's hard to read: first lap (very hairy at the double-apexed turn ) was 48.8xx and the second lap was a 48.4xx.

I originally only intended on uploading the faster lap, but I had a big chunk of fraps material from ~6 laps and forgot to edit all of it out
didnt you guys always go on and on about how great it was that the tracks were really bumpy how fun it is that the bumps really change the driving and the general amazingness of these vicious curbs?
I couldn't drive it like that irl

I also couldn't imagine thats how they actually drive them Thats about the farthest thing from smooth I've seen lol, but its fast.

Normally momentum cars need you to be smooth and carry speed...this thing you just wrestle around the track.

My problem is that I start doing the flick thing on turn in where you're a little on the brakes and you pitch it sideways and stomp the gas...and then some point through the corner I countersteer without thinking, and then I go head first into a wall

edit - shotglass, infineon is a really smooth track. The pavement is really flat and smooth, but you're going up and down over hills, on and off camber etc. Limerock, now thats got bumps and shit everywhere.

Also, driving the skippy around infineon like that is scary as shit (at least for me ) If there were bumps and curbs that sent you off the track too...well, I'd never make it out of the pits.
Jerte sure beats the crap out of Skippy, but your setup is bit different than the one I'm using and I don't think I could toss it around like that without flying into a wall and that's not really good when you need to stay on track more than one lap. I tried to be little bit more aggressive in last race but it ended up badly, that bump inside T4 didn't like my sliding and threw me off the track.

I'll try your set tomorrow and see how it works. Here's the set I'm currently using, it's made for Cup layout but since it's mostly the same, I suppose it works just fine.
Attached files
GH_Skip_Sears-Cup.rar - 452 B - 168 views
Quote from Shotglass :didnt you guys always go on and on about how great it was that the tracks were really bumpy how fun it is that the bumps really change the driving and the general amazingness of these vicious curbs?

Not sure what you're trying to say, but did you watch the videos? There sure are lots of bumps, even if it might be one of the smoother circuits. If you look at how the suspension is moving it's quite obvious really. And you can feel it through the steering wheel, too. The left sweeper after start/finish shows it very well.

It doesn't show everywhere, though. For example, the braking zone before the double apex hair pin is very bumpy, you have to be quite careful with the brakes or you'll lock up.

So, yes, the tracks are bumpy and it does change the way you have to drive them, or, depending on the type of bump and corner, you can make use of them. But maybe you were trying to say something completely different?
Quote from spanks :infineon is a really smooth track. The pavement is really flat and smooth, but you're going up and down over hills, on and off camber etc. Limerock, now thats got bumps and shit everywhere.

you must have missed all the jumping across gigantic crubs without upsetting the car even the slightest bit... especially on that one corner exit in the huttu video which no one would ever attempt in real life
not on purpose anyway sutil did something similar in hungary
Quote from Shotglass :you must have missed all the jumping across gigantic crubs without upsetting the car even the slightest bit... especially on that one corner exit in the huttu video which no one would ever attempt in real life
not on purpose anyway sutil did something similar in hungary

True, there doesn't seem to be real suspension damage in iRacing, yet. That's a problem and why you can get away with jumping curbs. I usually can't however. I would simply crash.
theres more to it than damage... on curbs such as this the car should show some reaction to the bump
and if you can just jump across really high curbs without any correction whats the point of a bumpy track anyway?
Quote from Shotglass :theres more to it than damage... on curbs such as this the car should show some reaction to the bump
and if you can just jump across really high curbs without any correction whats the point of a bumpy track anyway?

Well, the kind of reaction and the needed correction really depends on all kinds of things. I don't know if I would have been able to take the curb the way Huttu did there (I assume you're talking about the curb where he just goes all the way over it), probably not. But than again, Huttu is not really a benchmark. What he can do in a sim is rather special.

So, I can only talk from my personal experience and I have to take bumps, curbs, camber etc. into account when driving. Very much so, actually.
Greger Huttu is not human anyway. The only person I could think of that could be anywhere near his speed is Biggie, the LFS WR machine, but I've never seen anyone like Huttu. The guy does a qualification lap which is unbelievably fast, and then he goes into a 20 lap race and drives off into the sunset from pole-position doing that exact same lap over and over and over again without error until he reaches the finish line.

Sims will always allow for driving that is not possible in real life. As for the high kerb jumping: the car reacts fine to them - the way I violently took the kerb at the double apex hairpin in my video (which was a mistake, not the norm) has caused me a lot of grief already, because more often than not I've spun right into the wall.

Here's a perfect example of the Sim-style phenomenon:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nNTLkS4FhqE

At 43 seconds; do you think any F1 driver would ever take a turn like that at those speeds, going that hard over the kerbs near those tyres?

LFS has excellent physics, so it has nothing to do with that - it's the people being able to find the absolute limits without compromise that causes such driving, not the physics.

Edit: I must admit, watching that Biggie lap made me want to fire up LFS and go for a couple of laps, because by god I still love LFS for hotlapping
I just wish Biggie would step up and beat Huttu, even if only for once!
That video made me remember one more of those clever things in LFS: The way the driver moves adds so much to the video. I'm always finding it rather odd, watching a replay in iRacing with those dummies in the cockpit which don't even move their arms. I hope this will change sometime in the future. It's certainly not a priority, though. Just a working replay function would be just fine for starters -- and all those other things missing, that are even more important...
Quote from Crommi :Jerte sure beats the crap out of Skippy, but your setup is bit different than the one I'm using and I don't think I could toss it around like that without flying into a wall and that's not really good when you need to stay on track more than one lap. I tried to be little bit more aggressive in last race but it ended up badly, that bump inside T4 didn't like my sliding and threw me off the track.

I'll try your set tomorrow and see how it works. Here's the set I'm currently using, it's made for Cup layout but since it's mostly the same, I suppose it works just fine.

A Huttu-set? do you use that for that awesomely neat driving style - or did you modify it?
Yeah, It's Huttu's set with no modifications, I use it exactly like that for Cup layout aswell. Although I'm currently testing with moving brake bias more to back since his current set has 57% balance, this one is older with 62%. I don't really plan to go that far and 60% seems to be pretty good for hairpin, but it gets me into trouble elsewhere.

Huttu's sets have reputation of being very oversteery and slippery, but to me that feels really grippy and much easier to drive than few other sets I've tried.
Crommi,

I think the guy in front of me at the start of the race seriously outqualified himself; he braked like 10m before the cones at the hairpin, so I had to go hard on the brakes. I was cussing a bit when I saw you having to evade me

We would have had a good battle otherwise :\
Perhaps I should be more assertive and go on the inside next time, since I had the extra brake-space... but that would feel a bit like divebombing.

What happened aroudn the middle of the race though? big pile-up after the double-apex hairpin?
Quote from Jertje :What happened aroudn the middle of the race though? big pile-up after the double-apex hairpin?

Something like that, two guys ahead went side-by-side into second apex, had a contact and spun sideways on the track, I was following close and ran into them. I tried to continue but car was way too damaged, had to reset and by then I was already lap down. So, I just decided to entertain myself for rest of the race by hotlapping and collecting incident points after pushing too far.

It happens, I'm not really worried about SR. I'm sure it's going to be high enough for C licence by the end of this season.
The season end is still a long way to go, I wouldn't worry about SR at all, but I do want to drive the Mazda next week at Silverstone
Thanks Crommi and Jason for your thoughts, I am signed up for a year now

I've been practicing in the Skippy at Infineon Long and amd slowly improving, though it will be a while before I get the sort of times you guys seem to be achieving. I'm just hoping to be fast and consistent enough to have a race before the track changes!

Those videos (particularly Crommi's) look very useful too, will be interesting to see if I can cut my lap times down a bit tonight. Up till now I've been having terrible problem getting round the sharp dipping right hander (turn 4?) at any speed, hopefully once I've got that sorted I won't be too far off. I was surprised that I actually seem to drive very similarly to Crommi, despite his lap times being about 7s faster than mine
Soooo close to a 1.47. If I can just get a little bit more control to make my exits cleaner!

Actually... I wish I did those laps in a time trial session
Attached images
soclose.jpg
I think I'm done for tonight, frustration kicking in. Yesterday was great but today has been just horrible, on that last race I even had to retire because I spun on grass and got stuck in a ditch. I think only positive thing was that I managed to run 48.2 just before I repositioned my left-rear on top of rear wing using Mr. Bonca's nosecone.
Quote from Crommi :I think I'm done for tonight, frustration kicking in. Yesterday was great but today has been just horrible, on that last race I even had to retire because I spun on grass and got stuck in a ditch. I think only positive thing was that I managed to run 48.2 just before I repositioned my left-rear on top of rear wing using Mr. Bonca's nosecone.

Yeah, I noticed that display of idiocy.

You were having a good battle with Paul (we're having a debrief in skype right now actually ;d) and I was enjoying myself behind you guys, waiting to strike out of the shadows, and all I know then was that at some point Mitja was somewhere on the track derping out and he wrecked Paul's suspension, I narrowly avoided him and then I think I saw you driving into him.

The guy is so fast (Mitja) but I'm not so sure about his race-ethics.
Is there any word on whether more invitations went out today? I thought I read that another wave of invites was due today.
Yes, they are being sent out now (I just got one!)
Quote from Nick A :Yes, they are being sent out now (I just got one!)

Me to...yay...
Well, come on!! I need more noobs around. Maybe that way I wont look so bad....

I still havent mustered up enough balls to do a road race yet. But Im doing allright in the legends!
I will be there as soon as I can find a credit card to pay with, shame they don't accept Maestro cards because they have really secure online banking. I will ask my dad if I can use his card, if I can't do that then I'm not sure how I will pay for it!
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG