The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
th84 what's your name in iRacing? And do you race the solstice? I mainly race the Rookie solstice (rookie for now :P) and it's great fun. Unfortunetly I never get matched up with fast racers... My Safety Rating wen back down to 2.3 after I left midrace when it was at 2.8. I got matched up with a bunch that were my speed when I had 2.8 and it was good but I crashed and left and it droped to 2.3 again :S.
W00T! Got my invite finally!
Gongrats guys, see you on the race track
Okay I'm all payed up, just downloading the software, then I will do some practice in the Solstice.
Do they accept Visa Debit?
Yay! I got an invitation!
but i don't need it- i have crappy PC, so only i can play LFS only
Quote from jaws99 :Do they accept Visa Debit?

Yes, thats what my dad had and it worked fine, except now I am called Treva, I will have to contact them to change that!
Now downloading, see you on track guys! I'd better do a bit of reading up on how the game works with the safety rating etc.

If I don't like it well it's hardly a steal at just over £10 for a month :P
Quote from evilpimp :th84 what's your name in iRacing? And do you race the solstice? I mainly race the Rookie solstice (rookie for now :P) and it's great fun. Unfortunetly I never get matched up with fast racers... My Safety Rating wen back down to 2.3 after I left midrace when it was at 2.8. I got matched up with a bunch that were my speed when I had 2.8 and it was good but I crashed and left and it droped to 2.3 again :S.

If you are having a bad race with lots of accidents early on it is best to reset then just drive safely for the rest of the race rather than quitting. Your SR goes up for every 10 (?) clean corners so you can pull it back even if you have a nightmare start
Quote from evilpimp :th84 what's your name in iRacing? And do you race the solstice? I mainly race the Rookie solstice (rookie for now :P) and it's great fun. Unfortunetly I never get matched up with fast racers... My Safety Rating wen back down to 2.3 after I left midrace when it was at 2.8. I got matched up with a bunch that were my speed when I had 2.8 and it was good but I crashed and left and it droped to 2.3 again :S.

Iracing ID is T.Haas

I have ran very little in the solstice. Mainly because I suck at it. :P Im going to start making an effort in getting faster in that thing. Maybe tonight.

I really enjoy the legends on the small ovals. Im trying to get my Oval SR up high enough to run the LM series.
Quote from Jertje :The guy is so fast (Mitja) but I'm not so sure about his race-ethics.

Hehe, He took part in the last nKPro F3 season. Put in awesome quali times but crashed out of nearly every round.

http://www.gpchampionship.com/ ... asonid=23&menu=season

(in his profile he put his driving style as "Agressive" )

I avoid any close racing with people like that.

I respect his speed immensely, but not his race craft.
This week Rookie Solstice is running on Lime Rock Park which can be quite tricky due to all those bumps and camber changes. I really recommend getting used to the car and track before going online, Solstice isn't very easy car to drive because powersteering and all that weight makes it feel very numb. Lime Rock Park is quite fun but as you might already expect, it's very different from generally smooth LFS tracks and you -will- crash out in last corner many many times.

Take your time, don't worry too much about ratings. Just try to get comfortable with the car, SR and speed comes naturally.

th84: No need to wait for 4.0 SR, you'll get on Adv. Legends with +3.0 SR and I'd say those are much more fun than Late Models. LM is bit heavy and underpowered compared to Adv. Legends which offers awesome racing and alot more overtaking. I've been waiting for this new batch of drivers to get on those, most old guys are either on LM or SC.
I do ok in the last corner at LRP, its the first one that gets me everytime. I always mis-judge my braking points and end up in the grass.

I wouldnt dare go online yet. I have only ran 10 or so laps. I will do some offline testing tonight and see if I can get quick enough to feel good about racing online.
Got my invite tonight and bought the month subscription but I'm having the incredibly annoying "Not In Service - Download Software" message. I run Vista with NOD32 and Firefox, which appears to be a bad combination. Hoping there's a solution for this because if not it's a surprisingly effective way for them to piss off potential long term customers.
Quote from th84 :I do ok in the last corner at LRP, its the first one that gets me everytime. I always mis-judge my braking points and end up in the grass.

Braking point for T1 is between 3-2 markers, I'd recommend that you practise braking at "3" and then move little bit forward if it feels good. I tend to turn car little bit towards the apex so I can brake into the corner and have car positioned on the inside banking. Outside edges of this turn are really slippery.

Quote from amp88 :Got my invite tonight and bought the month subscription but I'm having the incredibly annoying "Not In Service - Download Software" message. I run Vista with NOD32 and Firefox, which appears to be a bad combination. Hoping there's a solution for this because if not it's a surprisingly effective way for them to piss off potential long term customers.

You might find a solution here, seems like NOD32 is causing problems. There's someone else having same issue:
http://members.iracing.com/ifo ... hreadID=9812&tstart=0
Quote from Crommi :You might find a solution here, seems like NOD32 is causing problems. There's someone else having same issue:
http://members.iracing.com/ifo ... hreadID=9812&tstart=0

Hehe, I replied in that thread about 5 minutes before I posted here. From what I can see in that thread, the guy Larry uninstalled and reinstalled NOD32 which solved the problem temporarily then it reappeared again. If that's the best 'solution' for this problem then I don't think I'm going to enjoy iRacing...
Quote from amp88 :Hehe, I replied in that thread about 5 minutes before I posted here. From what I can see in that thread, the guy Larry uninstalled and reinstalled NOD32 which solved the problem temporarily then it reappeared again. If that's the best 'solution' for this problem then I don't think I'm going to enjoy iRacing...

Out of cuiroisty, try C:\Program Files\iRacing\updater and then double click on 'iRacingUpdater', assumin you have tried to downlaod and all that happens is nothing.

This is how I got round a simaler problem, but that's caused by my zonealarm rather than anything else.

EDIT: BTW has the schedule for races changed, Rookie legends now has a race every hour?
Just testing the Rookie Solstice at Laguna at the moment, the only lap I have completed so far was a 1:55.58, don't know if thats a good time or not.

Top Tip for anyone using a gamepad like me, when it asks you to hold the wheel at 90 degrees make sure you go full lock, that makes your controls a lot less sensative and you still get plenty of steering lock.

If anyone wants to add me my driver name is Treva Bryant. (I sent a message to support to have it changed to James Bryant)
Quote from amp88 :Hehe, I replied in that thread about 5 minutes before I posted here. From what I can see in that thread, the guy Larry uninstalled and reinstalled NOD32 which solved the problem temporarily then it reappeared again. If that's the best 'solution' for this problem then I don't think I'm going to enjoy iRacing...

I'm pretty sure there's plenty of Vista+FF users without problems and I get a feeling that it could still be NOD32 related. Did you try removing it completely and checking that all registry entries were removed aswell, then installed some other antivirus?

I'm using Comodo firewall with Avast! antivirus on WinXP SP3 and got no issues so far. Both of them are free.

Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Just testing the Rookie Solstice at Laguna at the moment, the only lap I have completed so far was a 1:55.58, don't know if thats a good time or not.

Fast guys run ~1:48 but you'll get to 1:50 range just by driving it smoothly. Throwing it around the corners can really kill your laptime.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Out of cuiroisty, try C:\Program Files\iRacing\updater and then double click on 'iRacingUpdater', assumin you have tried to downlaod and all that happens is nothing.

This is how I got round a simaler problem, but that's caused by my zonealarm rather than anything else.

EDIT: BTW has the schedule for races changed, Rookie legends now has a race every hour?

Manually running the launcher worked (in that it checked for updates), so I tried manually running the iRacingSim.exe file. That launched and ran the auto configure program but then it failed with an error saying it couldn't connect to server (presumably because the iRacing process wasn't running). When I manually start the iRacing service it opens for a second then ends.
Quote from Crommi :I'm pretty sure there's plenty of Vista+FF users without problems and I get a feeling that it could still be NOD32 related. Did you try removing it completely and checking that all registry entries were removed aswell, then installed some other antivirus?

I'm using Comodo firewall with Avast! antivirus on WinXP SP3 and got no issues so far. Both of them are free.

No, not going to install a different antvirus just to see if it'll work. I pay for NOD32 and I'm happy with the way it's set up at the moment. I haven't had any problems with it in other applications.
Did you contact NOD32 tech support if they could help?
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :

If anyone wants to add me my driver name is Treva Bryant. (I sent a message to support to have it changed to James Bryant)

I'll be looking out for you, Treva.

Not sure if that is a good time or not. I havent ran that combo yet.

Quote from Mackie The Staggie :EDIT: BTW has the schedule for races changed, Rookie legends now has a race every hour?

The rookie legend races have been running every hour since the new season started.
Quote from amp88 :Manually running the launcher worked (in that it checked for updates), so I tried manually running the iRacingSim.exe file. That launched and ran the auto configure program but then it failed with an error saying it couldn't connect to server (presumably because the iRacing process wasn't running). When I manually start the iRacing service it opens for a second then ends.

You do have the backround servive running? if so I can only think it's the NOD32.

I would try both NOD32 tech guys, and iRacing support (email is quite quick in replying in my experences, within 15/25 mins)
I haven't tried to contact NOD32 support yet but I have tried contacting iRacing support. The background process isn't running (it stops almost immediately when I load it). I don't think it's a NOD32 problem because it runs fine on my Win XP machine (which also has NOD32..)
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG