The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Jertje :The SR system doesn't put blame on anyone;[...]

Everyone stop that nonsense with "anyone" and "it's a no-blame-system"... You even said it yourself in the second part, it's the complete opposite: it's everyone and a blame-all-system! If it would be no-blame, nobody would get incident points...

I find the SR system so very wrong, it actually prevents good, close racing because you always have to fear a 4x contact if you slightly bump into each other... It would have been perfect to have the SR only in Gran Turismo-like licence tests - pass those and you are allowed to race the car in the season... If someone misbehaves, there's still protests...
Quote from bbman :I find the SR system so very wrong, it actually prevents good, close racing because you always have to fear a 4x contact if you slightly bump into each other...

SR will never stop me from racing people, fear of being put out of the race maybe, but SR I couldn't care less about. I know that in normal conditions I won't lose SR due to personal incidents, so everything else is just part of racing

If you're terrified of racing hard because you might lose SR, then you should rethink your strategy
Quote from Jertje :Safety Rating and iRating are not connected in any way. If you finish first and have 1000 incidents you'll still gain iRating...

Well if you ask me thats just asking for trouble.

Quote from brt900 :hi i just got the free trail from radical and just saw the 3 month for £17 so i might get that after my trail has run out but i want to know is the riley prototype any good

Uh oh i'm pretty sure its new accounts only so it would be wise to go with the 3 month deal if u still can. (i wish i had known this offer was coming up )

Not only do you get 3 months for £17 you also get some free 'I' dollars to help with purchasing content.
what people seem to do is get the role of sr and ir mixed up. the sr decided your licence level so where as the ir refers to how strong a racer you are based on how you place in races and how strong the field is. in this case winning would increase your ir and get you into stronger field races if a scheduled session has enough entries for more than 1 race whilst the 1000 incident points would mean that your sr crashed through the floor and youd probably end up with a rookie licence again and restricted to those cars

in past seasons due to a lack of racing time etc i've concentrated on sr to the detriment of my ir. now im up to b class im intending to enjoy my races more , aslong as my sr stays high enough to keep my licence that will do me
Quote from anttt69 :Well if you ask me thats just asking for trouble.

It's just a theoretical statement: try winning a race with more than 1 spin
I just made that statement to make it clear to some people that iRating and SR are not related - you can't lose iRating for crashing, and you can't lose safety rating for finishing in a poor position.
Quote from bbman :I find the SR system so very wrong, it actually prevents good, close racing because you always have to fear a 4x contact if you slightly bump into each other... It would have been perfect to have the SR only in Gran Turismo-like licence tests - pass those and you are allowed to race the car in the season... If someone misbehaves, there's still protests...

Wrong? Its great. I think you are looking too much at your SR points. Forget about the SR and race! All you need is above 3.0 at the season end to get the next license. Not many ACTIVE racers has not got their new license at the season end. Most of the guys who dont get promoted is guys who is not racing very often..
I has had many CLOSE battles with other people, and I`m above 4.99 in oval and in road..

Status RIGHT now for License B drivers in ROAD who should be promoted on tuesday to license A:

39 in total is NOT above 3.0. Some has stopped in iRacing, others can still gain SR up until monday evening. The guys who are between 2.0 - 2.99 in SR will still be at their licence level next season.
People BELOW 2.0 wil be demoted to a lower license.
Only 1 who has license B is below 2.0 in SR..

License C in ROAD:

124 who is BELOW 3.0 i SR at this point.
I have watched some of them randomly and most of guys I looked at has not driven in a very long time...There could be other reasons..but still only 124 who will NOT get promoted. Most of these guys could earn their missing SR in two or three races before monday evening..
Only 5 will be demoted to license D...

License D in Road is a bit more difficult because a lot of guys who gave up on iRacing after almost their rookie season are there. If Rookies did their required 4 TT or 2 races and was above 2.99 (they could had earned ALL those SR in TT) they got the D license and after a short period they quit iRacing, taking a break or they never ran in D license:

690 are between 2.0 - 2.99 and will NOT get promoted.
28 are BELOW 2.0 and will loose their license..

In Rookie ROAD license it`s a lot more who will not get their promotion. There is about 2700 Rookie drivers.
1550 are above 3.0 in SR and will get their D license.
1150 of 2700 drivers are between 2.0 and 2.99
About 70 of 2700 drivers are below 2.0 and can`t loose anything..
In Rookie a lot of them below 3.0 has only done very FEW races, many only one or two..

There are 8085 racers in Road on the status page..

How many has a A license? 175

B license 528

C license? 1458

D license? 3146

Rookie? 2778

On monday there will be 1550+ Rookies who will get their D license.

I just made this for fun and maybe there are something wrong in places...but I hope not...

Race and forget about those SR....

BTW. You are gonna start with a SR on 2.5 when you are joining iRacing at first. So MOST are gaining SR point throughout their career. So the SR does work very well imo..
Quote from Jertje :It's just a theoretical statement: try winning a race with more than 1 spin
I just made that statement to make it clear to some people that iRating and SR are not related - you can't lose iRating for crashing, and you can't lose safety rating for finishing in a poor position.

Thanks for making that clear. But the system can be exploited. You could drive a race pushing people off the track with a well placed nudge & win by effectively cheating. You only stand to loose SR & reputation.

@Krane - Yearly members are only paying $13 per month but then iRacing must make just as much selling the extra content as they do from memberships. The cost to scan one track runs into hundreds of thousands of dollars apparently.
You could do a lot of things, but at $156/yr. not many people are willing to destroy their reputation (given we all have to use our real names, no hiding behind some crazy screen name) and run the risk of being shut out from the higher levels due to SR loss.

For the first few months I raced I spent most of my time being angry at the SR system, but I got over it. My SR is pinned at 4.99 now, and I still run door to door with a lot of guys, and have never been stereotypically wrecked in T1 like I have in every other sim out there... The system is doing it's job by keeping people in check, and the result has been the cleanest sim racing ever. No complaints.
Quote from anttt69 :You could drive a race pushing people off the track with a well placed nudge & win by effectively cheating. You only stand to loose SR & reputation.

I don`t think you would survive very long in iRacing if you did that very often. You could loose EVERYTHING you payed for..

I have a friend who swear on the server calling out names and so on - one protested him for breaking the Sporting Code and he got a warning and if he did it again within these three months he would be excluded from iRacing...lesson learned..
Quote from anttt69 :Thanks for making that clear. But the system can be exploited. You could drive a race pushing people off the track with a well placed nudge & win by effectively cheating. You only stand to loose SR & reputation.

There are very harsh consequences for systematically cheating like this though

One protest you might survive, but when you start making a name for yourself with such actions you'll get the banstick quite quickly, so it's not really an option.

Also, if you're able to get close enough to the leader to nudge them off, you should be more than capable of overtaking them, or not?
ok ive had the trial for 5 days and im dissapointed , its nothing compared to lfs

lfs just feels better
better comunity
cheaper price !!
Quote from jwardy :ok ive had the trial for 5 days and im dissapointed , its nothing compared to lfs

lfs just feels better
better comunity
cheaper price !!

Well at least you gave it a try.

Be sure to try the Spec Racer before you leave for good, though.. with Ian Lake's setup (attached) it feels GREAT. Best feeling car I've ever tried in any sim. Period. Official races start again on Tuesday, and it seems like this series will be very well populated. I'm looking forward to it!

He's been sharing this set publically on the iRacing forums BTW, so he won't mind that I pass it on.
Attached files
IL_SpecRacer3.rar - 757 B - 213 views
Quote from jwardy :ok ive had the trial for 5 days and im dissapointed , its nothing compared to lfs

lfs just feels better
better comunity
cheaper price !!

After 5 days you can judge the community... wauww thats fast...

Go to iRacing forum, ask questions, find some friends in the races and the community is like other communitys including LFS`s... I have found some really great guys in iRacing like in LFS. It`s up to you to be part of the iRacing community as in LFS..

Whats your name in iRacing..I would love to read your posts in the iRacing forum. It`s also easier to get "friends" in iRacing because there are the VOICE chat build in. No need for Team Speak etc.. Just plug in your headphones and microphone and you will soon get friends.. Just remember not to had VOICE chat on in the races..
Quote from Gnomie :Well at least you gave it a try.

Be sure to try the Spec Racer before you leave for good, though.. with Ian Lake's setup (attached) it feels GREAT. Best feeling car I've ever tried in any sim. Period. Official races start again on Tuesday, and it seems like this series will be very well populated. I'm looking forward to it!

He's been sharing this set publically on the iRacing forums BTW, so he won't mind that I pass it on.

thanks mate... I do think the Spec Racer will be massively popular...
Quote from richard dk :After 5 days you can judge the community... wauww thats fast...

To be brutally honest, the negative athmosphere in the forums is pretty obvious to see, you don't even need one day to experience that... Throw in quite chaotic rookie races with tempers rising and you can imagine how he got to this conclusion...

Five days isn't really enough time to judge it by. Maybe run a few weeks in the SRF & see what you think of it then.
True it doesn't compare to LFS in many ways but iRacing is different & does have its merits. In the last week they have given the membership a free car to play with & a whole host of updates.
I like the way you get to have your say & the improvements just keep on coming.
Gave iRacing a try today at my friends house... wow it felt "wierd".. After a few hours I was getting used to it.. details where nice, sounds were pretty good.

I loved the laser scanned tracks and the general feeling you get, but for the price I couldn't justify it. It's just not worth it IMO.

If it was say, £30-£50 per year for everything, then I would probably get it.. but it's cos my mate some £40 and he's had it for 3 days..
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Gave iRacing a try today at my friends house... wow it felt "wierd".. After a few hours I was getting used to it.. details where nice, sounds were pretty good.

I loved the laser scanned tracks and the general feeling you get, but for the price I couldn't justify it. It's just not worth it IMO.

If it was say, £30-£50 per year for everything, then I would probably get it.. but it's cos my mate some £40 and he's had it for 3 days..

That's exactly how I feel about it too. It's very good and I would love to own it, but sadly you never really own it because you have to pay to keep hold of it.
Run the SRF at watkins if you don't think close racing is possible. You can bump and rub and get really aggressive really close in these things and get nothing more than 0x contact. I slam drafted one guy pretty good down the back straight and it worked really well until he lifed for the guy in front of him I was goin about 4 mph quicker and really didn't want to lift

The biggest fear for close racing in iracing is the damage. It is so easy to damage your car to the point of being way out of control. The SRF finally gives you the ability to bump a little.

That being said...I've been a few inches away lap after lap in the skippy and the mazda. It just takes confidence in yourself AND the other person you're racing with.
Quote from bbman :To be brutally honest, the negative athmosphere in the forums is pretty obvious to see, you don't even need one day to experience that... .

And everything is just fine here? The negative athmosphere from some users has nothing to do with the community..there are also some here who is spreading a negative athmosphere...day after day..
Most of the iRacing community is very helpfull, like they are here.
But ok you don`t like it after one day, but imo you can`t judge it after only one or five days...

Throw in quite chaotic rookie races with tempers rising and you can imagine how he got to this conclusion

Nothing I saw when I joined....But yes Rookie races can be chaotic from time to time (but they are still driven under the Sporting Code) like they can on the open servers in LFS. Rookie is called Rookie..because there is Rookies there...many has to learn the cars and so on. But strange so many can get a higher license from the Rookie class from these chaotic races *LOL*... Tempers rising? *LOL*...
Quote from anttt69 :Damn it (or great). Ive just found this. http://www-water4gas-com.blogs ... -special-3-months-of.html

This is an awesome deal. If only I had resisted iRacing a little longer I could of had three months for $25/£17 instead of the free one month trial via Radical sport cars.

If anyone is still thinking ... "i'm gona try iRacing when the prices come down"
this looks like a very good deal. It is only the standard content but with the SRF being free! the only extra content you may be tempted to buy would be a few extra tracks.

I've just tried to do this but it doesn't seem to work? I enter the promotion code at the box at the top, click apply and nothing happens to the prices down below.

Am I just being a silly git or doesn't it work anymore?
well i have the trial will the end of may so i will keep racin till then , but unless something WOWs me like a giant Pink duck running on track or something a lil more realistic then a duck . i wont be renewing my membership .
Quote from S14 DRIFT :

Quote from Gills4life :That's exactly how I feel about it too. It's very good and I would love to own it, but sadly you never really own it because you have to pay to keep hold of it.

Those were my initial thoughts also. If you can create a new account then the 3 month special offer is not to be sniffed at. (£17 for 3 months)
It really depends on how much sim racing you do & whether you need a change from old fashioned (what scirroco?) LFS.

Its a different environment & a breath of fresh air in sim racing.
(the offer is also available via Indycars website check this thread for the code, new accounts only)
LFS isn't the only sim that I play, so I do not get bored with it at all. LFS still has the best overall package and I believe it is still the king of sims. £17 for 3 months is not something I would really be interested in since you can own games for less than that price and keep them forever without having to pay up over and over to keep hold of it. If I could afford to just chuck money at it and was able to spend money needlessly, then I would get iRacing, but now I just can't justify paying so much for a sim when there are other sims out there that keep me very entertained which allows me to save money for much more important things.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG