The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from AndroidXP :Wait, so you have to for example buy the Skip Barber car to be able to at some later point buy (and actually race) the Formula Mazda?

Better than that from what I understand you have to buy the extra tracks that the higher cars race on in order to progress so from my understanding if I wanted to race the Radical at Silverstone I would have to buy all the road course cars and nearly all the road courses to progress my license to the correct level, and presumably there are no races on the tracks used at higher levels in the starter series?

Also on there website they've got a sprint car and spec racer 'coming soon' does this mean people will have to buy yet more cars to get to race the ones they want?
I can't really be bothered to read all the thread, is this worth it? I've seen it's NOT cheap..
I don't think you would have to buy all of them, just enough to compete in. You don't need to participate in every race either. Alternatively, you might be able to just purchase one track, and do time trials to earn the license points - but I'm not certain. As far as a higher level license using tracks from previous series I have no idea.
Quote from diablo21 :I can't really be bothered to read all the thread, is this worth it? I've seen it's NOT cheap..

such a critical consumer.
Quote from diablo21 :I can't really be bothered to read all the thread, is this worth it? I've seen it's NOT cheap..

I think it's worth it. But you will have to use your own judgement.

These vids look awesome:
http://rapidshare.com/files/121475907/sols_seca.avi
http://www.kolumbus.fi/martin. ... e/iso/sols_lime_wreck.avi
http://www.kolumbus.fi/martin.bror/crusse/iso/mazda_lime.avi
http://www.kolumbus.fi/martin. ... russe/iso/mazda_wreck.avi

The LFS devs really need to update the interiors of some of the base cars. The Solstice interior is really nicely detailed (see the sols_lime_wreck video). The sound is also very good. Both of those combined definitely add to the immersion factor. The XRG interior on the other hand looks very amateurish. Considering it's the first thing people see when they jump into LFS, I think it should be one of the devs top priorities.
thanks for posting those videos.

the amount of detail in that sim is just amazing
Quote from thisnameistaken :Which Flash designers never deliver, because Flash-requesting clients want Flash because they want the associated high-impact, bloated intro movies and animations on everything whether it would would work better without animations or not.

Which isn't the fault of the designer. The clients want it, you can give your input, and behind the curtains optimize as much as you can, but at the end of the day it's the client's website.

Have you guys looked at CSS remix lately (as much as I love and admire the stuff there)? It's all the same sh*t with different backgrounds. You just don't have much options for visual impact and cool effects when your hands are tied by all the nerds and their ideas about the utopian internet.
Or IE neglecting to support shit properly.
is it just me or does the cockpit judder really look extremely fake and not tied into the physics?
oh and yay their single seater damage model is every bit as bad as lfs'
Quote from Shotglass :oh and yay their single seater damage model is every bit as bad as lfs'

http://www.vimeo.com/1153763

In this vid, one driver is from Switzerland and the other from Slovenia. Damage/collision model looks pretty impressive.
Quote from Shotglass :is it just me or does the cockpit judder really look extremely fake and not tied into the physics?
oh and yay their single seater damage model is every bit as bad as lfs'

Can you see anything positive at all about iRacing?
Quote from Technique :http://www.vimeo.com/1153763

In this vid, one driver is from Switzerland and the other from Slovenia. Damage/collision model looks pretty impressive.

the wing might be okis... possibly made from metal on these pseudo formulas
the way the suspension just gets shorter is completely unrealistic and every bit as bad as in lfs though (its even worse on the mazda video)

Quote from dontsimon :Can you see anything positive at all about iRacing?

id like to but they arent exactly trying hard to be impressive... especially 150$/a impressive
when was it 1st announced that new interiors were coming to the LFS cars? over a year ago?:sadbanana

does damage to the wings affect aerodynamics?

I have to side with Shotglass on this issue. I was hoping for a very impressive damage model, and we got the same ersatz as in other sims. At the same time, stupid GRID has body panels flying off, etc (not saying it's realistic, but a damage model with a proper visual manifestaion is long overdue in sims).
Quote from Ahriman4891 :I have to side with Shotglass on this issue. I was hoping for a very impressive damage model, and we got the same ersatz as in other sims. At the same time, stupid GRID has body panels flying off, etc (not saying it's realistic, but a damage model with a proper visual manifestaion is long overdue in sims).

I think it is pretty nice:

http://www.vimeo.com/1153763

I think what people needs to understand about iRacing is that it is never going to be a finished Sim, all the features that you see in other Sims are going to be implemented. That is the benefit of supporting it monthly, I'm happy to support Sim Racing like that, they will be able to continue improving the Sim.
The concept of continueing development for years is the same concept that is in LFS. The difference is there are not 3 persons working on improving it, there are 40.
Quote from AndroidXP :@Fischfix:
Not saying that the devs don't plan to at some point make more attractive content for the American market (ovals of all kinds and sizes, basically), but I think that right now the simulation aspect is simply not complete enough to warrant pushes in that direction. It would be like implementing banger racing without damage modelling, or rally without a detailed surface simulation.

What you do right now on the oval might be fun and might take skill in its own way, but from my knowledge about oval racing (which is arguably very little), it has not much to do with actual oval racing techniques, mainly due to the simplified aero model. For an oval you could probably get away with a worse tyre simulation than now, but the aero is absolutely crucial.

So what I'm saying is, concentrate on fixing the basics, and do it well. Then implement stuff, and implement it properly. Having everything simulated half-assed will always leave you in second place.

Then again, it's not like our ramblings have any influence on the devs' plan anyway, so whatever.

true, drafting at the moment has not much to do what drafting should be like. (aero-push/drag) also what i miss, and this is imo the most important thing: when you have a damaged front wing, you should not be able to go the same speed as someone without damage. and of course there are tons of improvements to suggest and make/implement into the game before we really need another BIG oval.
but what could be implemented with the actual "aero model" (which is none) would be a short-track like bristol or martinsville as drafting does not play a big role there if at all... but... thats off topic and suggested a quadrizillion times and flamed a quadrizillion times
Quote from Fischfix :true, drafting at the moment has not much to do what drafting should be like. (aero-push/drag) also what i miss, and this is imo the most important thing: when you have a damaged front wing, you should not be able to go the same speed as someone without damage. and of course there are tons of improvements to suggest and make/implement into the game before we really need another BIG oval.
but what could be implemented with the actual "aero model" (which is none) would be a short-track like bristol or martinsville as drafting does not play a big role there if at all... but... thats off topic and suggested a quadrizillion times and flamed a quadrizillion times

Agreed, Legends cars, and late-models a la irental are not as aero dependant as typical Stock cars.

Legends cars are race on ovals 1/4mile up to maybe 3/4miles (also in road racing events including 25 hours of thunderhill). Late models probably rarely go onto oval tracks 1 mile or more. Either way, aero is important, but there is not the kind of drafting or speeds we see on our huge oval.

So yes, similar cars would be a nice addition, but it would need to include some small ovals. And as hard as content is to come by here at LFS, ovals and oval cars would start a huge poo-storm within the community (although Scawen's recent language packs have been atempts to broaden the market appeal of LFS :eek: )

[/ramble]

So what truely justifies the price of iracing? What is communications with the dev team like? How will the progress take place (ie seperate test patch testers?).

The initial content does seem really low to justify the pricing.

That and never having ownership/control of the software really is making it hard for me to warm up to it.
Quote from srdsprinter :What is communications with the dev team like?

Can't speak to the rest, but in beta at least John Henry & Kaemmer posted regularly & dialogued with the drivers.
Quote from mikey_G :thanks for posting those videos.

the amount of detail in that sim is just amazing

Some of the track environments look a bit rudimentary, but the cars are going to look great when you're used to LFS.

I can say one positive thing about iRacing. NO FWD CARS (yet...). Finally, everyone will be forced to drive a real car I won't join a race full of 30 cars and be the sole RWD car on the field...
Quote from srdsprinter :...

I'll try not to turn this into the improvement suggestions thread...

I agree on the ovals, Stu. One of the complaints voiced in this thread about iracing content is that it's targeted at the American market. I don't mind.

If LFS were to add more "American-ized" content (a few short ovals, maybe a stock car), I probably wouldn't even consider iracing.
Quote from Danke :I'll try not to turn this into the improvement suggestions thread...

I agree on the ovals, Stu. One of the complaints voiced in this thread about iracing content is that it's targeted at the American market. I don't mind.

If LFS were to add more "American-ized" content (a few short ovals, maybe a stock car), I probably wouldn't even consider iracing.

This thread has survived some extended OT's, so one more will be fine.

Lol, I agree, I'm not complaining about the targeting at all, and more oval content would only make LFS more popular.

That said, without some big gaps in the current content offering filled(think LMP, MR GTR, Classics, tracks, interiors, etc), I'd be disappointed if LFS went after that market.

I'm the same way, if it weren't for the off-line grip, Legends car, and the SR8 Radical, I would have no desire for iracing either.

If it weren't for just a few unique features, i think the appeal of iracing (to our LFS audience) would be very limited.
Quote from JJ72 :i don't think anyone is going to sue you because you changed the grass texture honestly, and technically i don't think they would go through all the trouble encripting everything.

I don't know if the files are encrypted (I imagine they would be, to try and prevent people ripping their tracks to other sims), but they're packed in a single file and are checked before you drive online. So if you did change one to modify a texture, you wouldn't be able to race.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG