The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from StableX :after asking the question, what have you spent on makeup

My dear, You have no idea of feminine psychology! All this makeup was to please YOU!!!
Quote from Technique :I think it's worth it. But you will have to use your own judgement.

These vids look awesome:
http://rapidshare.com/files/121475907/sols_seca.avi
http://www.kolumbus.fi/martin. ... e/iso/sols_lime_wreck.avi
http://www.kolumbus.fi/martin.bror/crusse/iso/mazda_lime.avi
http://www.kolumbus.fi/martin. ... russe/iso/mazda_wreck.avi

thanks for the video links... wicked!!!!

Quote from Mille Sabords :My dear, You have no idea of feminine psychology! All this makeup was to please YOU!!!

..... but Dear, I feel after I practise at home, I will be a safer driver when we go out in the car so spending the $160 is a safety issue
I'm going to test this, at least for a month.

The new concept, at least for us simmers, to pay a rent and on top of it pay for new tracks and cars in order to follow a league is going to cost us. The price shows we can forget $50 pay and then play as much as we want. Looks as around 7 - 8 times that yearly is what we gonna have to fork out, IF we want to run high end detail simulations.
iRacing seem to be very good and promising. My guess is that many from LFS and other sims will go over there and start a new era. From what these guys have done earlier, my guess is that hard core sim racers will go over there sooner or later.
What about trackIR support? I thought it was supposed to have support, but I've stll haven't read anything concrete about it.
It's coming very soon, unless it's not already there ...
good, I couldn't imagine myself driving a solstice without it
Quote from mikey_G :good, I couldn't imagine myself driving a solstice

i hope you dont mind me making your post more sensible
lol, I dont mind, they look horrible, but so do certain lfs cars
Wasn't Knight Rider a Pontiac? Why didn't they give us Knight Riders instead?

That would've shifted a few licenses.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Wasn't Knight Rider a Pontiac? Why didn't they give us Knight Riders instead?

That would've shifted a few licenses.

if they also include hasselhoff credit card ownership in germany would jump from close to 0 to 80 million within half an hour after the iracing release
Hahaha, I forgot how popular The Hoff was in Germany. He should've teamed up with Scorpions for a super-manly version of Rock You Like A Hurricane.
are there plans for drag racing?
Quote from Gabkicks :are there plans for drag racing?

No, but cruising is in as soon as they laser-scan more drive-ins.
I don't like ovals...
Quote from Danke :...I agree on the ovals, Stu.... If LFS were to add more "American-ized" content (a few short ovals, maybe a stock car), I probably wouldn't even consider iracing.

Or ARCA?

Quote from srdsprinter :...more oval content would only make LFS more popular.

I've read some people don't want LFS to be more popular, but it seems like ovals would be the easiest thing to add...

All you need is 1 grandstand & 1 pit row with a bunch of cirles around it!

Quote from AMA_King :
I've read some people don't want LFS to be more popular, but it seems like ovals would be the easiest thing to add...

All you need is 1 grandstand & 1 pit row with a bunch of cirles around it!

We have no suitable cars for interesting oval racing though, and TBH short tracks and dirt tracks are where a lot of the more interesting oval racing is found.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Pretty good vid of the Rookie Solstice races at Lime Rock:http://www.vimeo.com/1148387

Crap that looks good.

The Solstice doesn't look like a good match for the track though. There aren't low speed/tight corners or heavy braking zones. Laguna isn't any better for low hp cars either. And those, of course, are the only tracks you get w/o having to pay more. (Yes I'm completely ignoring the ovals)
Solstice is actually quite a handful on that track... lots of low or off-camber corners make it really difficult.

The real problem is that it's not really a racing car... no track really fits it because it just shouldn't be out there. But that does make things interesting sometimes.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :
The real problem is that it's not really a racing car... no track really fits it because it just shouldn't be out there. But that does make things interesting sometimes.

What!? That's not a problem at all. It represents at most, club level spec racing (Spec Miatas, the SCCA and whatnot), and at the very least it represents going out for a track day. Track days are something we can all relate to, whereas an all-out racer, not so much. I still think a shorter twistier track would suit it better.

Are there different configs of Lime Rock?
^ Doesn't look like it. It turns out to be one of my least favourite road courses too, ha figures!
It's "the one which is basically a big right hand oval with the one left turn". How that could be considered an interesting feature I'll never know. I hated watching it on tv as well. They should give us VIR instead. Forget it, I give up on this thing.
It's a great track to drive, tbh. Great elevation changes, really tight and not much runoff. It does have one alternate config, but that just adds a chicane at the top of the hill (albeit a very difficult one).
No time to read the whole thread right now, two questions:

Is offline driving possible or are the races that are organized every two hours the only way to get on the track?

Which sim does it feel closest to in terms of physics? Judging by the videos I'd say Driver's Republic?
Yes, offline test driving is possible, but you have to be connected to the internet to start the game.
You can race by yourself (if that's what you consider "offline"), but you must connect through their online service. And since you do not "own" the game, you cannot play by yourself once you subscription is over.

I have not played the game yet, so I may be wrong.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG