The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from DeadWolfBones :It's a great track to drive, tbh. Great elevation changes, really tight and not much runoff. It does have one alternate config, but that just adds a chicane at the top of the hill (albeit a very difficult one).

Its still bloody dull in the Solstice imo,then again i hate that car on any track but it suits the Skippy very well.

I've given in already and will give it a months trial now i know its possible to get past driving the Solstice in a relatively short time. It's mainly to see how it runs on my current crappy machine.

I'll probably leave it for a while after I've done that month until more features that I'd like to see are added. At least when i return to it i will have already progressed beyond that pile of junk vehicle, and will hopefully never have to get behind the wheel of it ever again.
Quote from The Moose :

I've given in already and will give it a months trial now i know its possible to get past driving the Solstice in a relatively short time. It's mainly to see how it runs on my current crappy machine.

I'll probably leave it for a while after I've done that month until more features that I'd like to see are added. At least when i return to it i will have already progressed beyond that pile of junk vehicle, and will hopefully never have to get behind the wheel of it ever again.

that's my thought... give it a try now for a month.... then wait a bit (maybe) and see hows its changed in a few but we will see after the first month after I give it a review!
Quote from The Moose : At least when i return to it i will have already progressed beyond that pile of junk vehicle, and will hopefully never have to get behind the wheel of it ever again.

Would you guys over there be happier if it were something more palatable, perhaps something more... "European"... like a Golf GTI, or or or a, Vauxhall Astra, or or or a, Suzuki Swift Sport, or some such FWD sh*tbox-based hot hatch?
Quote from Mattesa :Would you guys over there be happier if it were something more palatable, perhaps something more... "European"... like a Golf GTI, or or or a, Vauxhall Astra, or or or a, Suzuki Swift Sport, or some such FWD sh*tbox-based hot hatch?

Nope. Straight to the Skippy would be ideal. It is after all a trainer, a beginners race car. I'd like to do my learning in that thanks

I've been driving a road car for years, i have no inclination to race one.

The Solctice also gives the worst impression of the force feedback of all the cars in iRacing. That alone may well give new customers a bad impression of the sim.
Quote from J.B. :
Which sim does it feel closest to in terms of physics? Judging by the videos I'd say Driver's Republic?

For me its a little LFS, a little netkarPro and a little NR2003. Seriously the Legends car in terms of driving feeling could be from LFS. The Open wheelers have a taste like netkarPro and the stockcars obviously closer to NR03.

Quote from The Moose :Nope. Straight to the Skippy would be ideal. It is after all a trainer, a beginners race car. I'd like to do my learning in that thanks

I've been driving a road car for years, i have no inclination to race one.

The Solctice also gives the worst impression of the force feedback of all the cars in iRacing. That alone may well give new customers a bad impression of the sim.

I see it the same way, the Skip Barber would have been the right car for beginners, the Solstice has power steering so the FF doesn really give alot of clues. But it makes for close Racing atleast.
Quote from mikey_G :What about trackIR support? I thought it was supposed to have support, but I've stll haven't read anything concrete about it.

iRacing gaminging ID has been made public. Please just run the games list updater, within the TrackIR software. After the TrackIR software restarts iRacing should be listed in the games list.......

enjoy
I see it in the games list now, thanks
Quote from Mattesa :Would you guys over there be happier if it were something more palatable, perhaps something more... "European"... like a Golf GTI, or or or a, Vauxhall Astra, or or or a, Suzuki Swift Sport, or some such FWD sh*tbox-based hot hatch?

Single Seater trainer please!!!!!! for us Euro's!! Take me back to Formula Ford days
Quote from The Moose :They advertise it as playable with dial up

I have a 2meg connection and the intro stuttered like a *insert non PC comment of your choice*

Must be a problem on your end. On my 2mb connection it was smooth as aston
Quote from The Moose : The system they are running at the moment bears no resemblance to real life racing whatsoever.

For those people that enjoy proper league racing,(one qual, one race, one chance. Like reality ) endurance racing, practising together on a server with team mates, (the social aspect of sim racing is very important to me)all that sort of stuff, iRacing doesn't cut it. Yet. I have no doubt it will, sooner rather than later. ...

True, what iracing seems to offer is just pick up racing with schedules and timetables. To call it a league alike racing would be imho very bad taste or very smooth talking . The current form of racing in iracing is imho just very strange twisted combination of league races and pick up racing.

Imho, it has more bad sides from league racing and pick up racing than good sides. And while doing that the system has totally missed some of the biggest positives of both systems! The easyness and "quicness" of pick up racing and the dedication and rewarding/punishing nature of league racing. It's almost arcade version of leagues . Interesting see how and where it goes

Quote from The Moose :Nope. Straight to the Skippy would be ideal. It is after all a trainer, a beginners race car. I'd like to do my learning in that thanks

Try to say something I can disagree with
Quote from KartRacer :Anybody here smoke? Its 2-3 packs of smokes, a month.
Anybody go to the movies? Its about the cost of an movie and a soda, a month.
........you get my point

It is quite a bit more expensive, if you don't think you can afford it or if you think $0.75/a day is too much, then don't pay. If you're not going to pay and in turn, not going to drive, whats left to discuss? If you cannot afford and/or disagree with the price AND are interested in iRacing e-mail them. Pissing and moaning/writing nonconstructive and repetitive posts is fairly annoying and doesn't add anything to the thread's discussion.

A few positives to the payment system:

Monthly renewals: Forces the iRacing staff to give the customer a reason to return. You buy any other sim and thats it, if the demo or reviews convinced you to purchase it, they have no real reason, from a business standpoint, to do anything extra for you. Obviously if there is no support, the word would get out and new customers would be turned away from purchasing the product.

The price pays for a large staff, which does many things for the customer's side of iRacing. Some of them are:
- Funds to continue research and development on physics, graphics and online code as well as all the other aspects of the software.
- People who are dedicated to specific aspects of the sim (sales,rules,requests,physics,graphics,online code... so on and so forth) make it easier and quicker to fix problems and help the sim racer.
- This software was developed to be a two-function type of product. Made for both the sim racer and also drivers looking for a development tool as well as allowing companies, teams and individuals to use the software and/ or have content created. Because of this, iRacing not only gets feedback continuously from simmers and real-world drivers but also from the teams and companies that design,work on,set-up,own and race the cars and the tracks.
- Theres staff dedicated to the community and competition side of iRacing, something no other sim has.
- Having software that real-drivers use because of the realism, that is NO different from what the regular sim-user has (no notepad "fixes" for grip levels) gives iRacing a very respectable and enticing product for anyone interesting in racing or simming.

No, I don't work for them. Trust me, if you look at it (the driving,racing and community), the price isn't as crazy as some people are saying.

But some people complain about anything new or different, if you don't want iracing then who cares how much it costs...you're not paying for it. After all, the other non-subscription sim's are still around and still going strong, to each their own.

-From another thread

But try it, I dare you, if you like driving and racing....the price becomes justifiable pretty d*** fast
Quote from George Kuyumji :2 laps at Road America

http://blip.tv/file/990652

wow finding a real track that is as smooth and boring as aston must have required a special effort... actually its even more boring being built almost exclusively from 90° turns
hm? last time I check it out it has plenty of sweepers.
Quote from Shotglass :wow finding a real track that is as smooth and boring as aston must have required a special effort...

Wow, even shotglass thinks the tracks are the same quality of lfs now!! I now no longer have a reason to not buy/rent iracing!!

Quote from KartRacer :But try it, I dare you, if you like driving and racing....the price becomes justifiable pretty d*** fast

I'll try to explain one more time...

Many people look at the price of iRacing and at how much fun it will be to play it, then decide that for them it's worth the money. I don't. I look at the pricing scheme, see that it bears little relationship to the cost that they must have made to create their product, and I get the feeling they're trying to swindle me out of my money. Decision: no thanks.

If I could buy iRacing for twice the price of LFS, I probably would. It looks like a very good sim. If it was three times as pricey then perhaps I still would buy it. But you can't buy iRacing. You can only rent it.
It's not renting, it's what they call 'membership'
Quote from Intrepid :It's not renting, it's what they call 'membership'

The result stays the same, no matter what the marketing guy calls it...

When you stop paying for it, you can't use it anymore, no matter how much money you already paid.
Quote from Shotglass :wow finding a real track that is as smooth and boring as aston must have required a special effort... actually its even more boring being built almost exclusively from 90° turns

Jesus Christ, dude.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Jesus Christ, dude.

Sums my thought's up nicely. Most of the regulars here are now just picking any possible hole they can find and laying into it. I WELCOME iRacing. I think it's fantastic that we have finally got some competition, and some real progress in simracing standards and realism. It's about time IMO.
Quote from DaveWS :Sums my thought's up nicely. Most of the regulars here are now just picking any possible hole they can find and laying into it. I WELCOME iRacing. I think it's fantastic that we have finally got some competition, and some real progress in simracing standards and realism. It's about time IMO.

Here here
Yep...I'm not tempted to rent iRacing but I welcome it just for the pressure it will put on the devs! Maybe it will motivate them to change gears...they've been stuck on the rev limiter a bit too long!
iRacing will never be on my hard drive, sry to say, but i have played LFS for 2 years and i dont want to learn another sim...
especially monthly fees for a racing game (racing games are not very popular at all) are more than nonsense.
the last thing: why can an opponent pruduct be advertised here? my opinion: delete this thread pls
Anyone got an invite to spare, please?
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG