The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
^^ sounds good to me

Now they only have to make a page on their site saying: Buy here

edit: only sucky thing is that there is no Sebring yet
Quote from mikey_G :edit: only sucky thing is that there is no Sebring yet

cos it's so darn bumpy the laser scanner went on a strike.
Quote from Technique :So, for a road racer with a year subscription, you would ideally get the following for your $156 USD:
[snip]

And at the end of the year, what have you got?
S2 final.
You'll probably have a headache after explaining to your significant other where those 160 dollars went
Quote from mikey_G :You'll probably have a headache after explaining to your significant other where those 160 dollars went

after asking the question, what have you spent on makeup
Quote from durbster :Based on that comment I'll assume you don't know anything about Actionscript 3 so it's not really worth explaining it. All I will say is that a web developer that ignores Flash these days is extremely unwise.

Based on that comment - and the fact that I am farming out or turning down contracts daily because I am so busy - I'll assume you've really no idea what proportion of real-world web work actually involves Flash. It's useful for occasional interactive applications and I will happily concede that, but it's almost never suitable as a replacement for text-based pages.

Of all the work that's gone through my office in the past year, I can confidently tell you that less than 2% of it has required Flash. I can tell you this by looking at my accounts for last year and looking at the amount I paid to the Flash developer I occasionally subcontract. I think it's perfectly safe for me to continue to ignore Flash, given that it has made no more impact on the commercial web than it had five years ago.
Quote from StableX :after asking the question, what have you spent on makeup

Through experence, that question almost always ends in an argument, in which the bloke will never win. Avoid at all cost.
way too expensive... i will never pay monthly fees for a game unless i can earn money with it

13$ a month is just ridiculous... although i hope lfs will need to improve to keep up to date like get some of similar content like: late model cars, sprint cars and stuff like that

but that has been discussed for ages now
Indeed, trying to piss her off is definitely not gonna work in your favour
Quote from thisnameistaken :Based on that comment - and the fact that I am farming out or turning down contracts daily because I am so busy - I'll assume you've really no idea what proportion of real-world web work actually involves Flash.

That is purely your client base and the type of products you offer, it's got bugger all to do with the web as a whole. Our company does loads of Flash stuff - probably around 40% of our output - and we're not short of clients either.

Quote from thisnameistaken :It's useful for occasional interactive applications and I will happily concede that, but it's almost never suitable as a replacement for text-based pages.

I'm glad you finally agree with what I've been saying all along.
Quote from Fischfix :13$ a month is just ridiculous... although i hope lfs will need to improve to keep up to date like get some of similar content like: late model cars, sprint cars and stuff like that

Tbh, adding a late model would probably do the least to "keep up" with iRacing, considering how LFS is not really targeting the American market. New cars in general (would now) do IMO very little as long as they're based on the same physics, unless maybe if they fill out a huge gap.

Better tyre physics, better damage- and aero modelling (especially important for oval racing), more- and more characteristic tracks (heck, maybe a more interesting oval for you roundabout nuts )... that is what would help LFS push forward.
Tracks for longevity, physics for showing who's the boss
Quote from Technique :
So, for a road racer with a year subscription, you would ideally get the following for your $156 USD:
Cars:
Pontiac Solstice
Legends
Skip Barber Formula 2000

From what I understand there is no way to race with the Legends car and as you see the system is cleverly designed, using your free credit to buy cars and tracks you don't want without an option to race a proper single seater or sports racing car without paying extra.
Yes I believe the online series for legends only features ovals. From what I've read and understand you basically choose your career path (ovals vs road tracks) and that dictates what car/track combos you race online with. I think offline you can race whatever track/car combos you want with whatever you've purchased.

And of course you can do both oval racing and road racing - you don't need to stick with one.

They don't use your "free credit" to buy anything. You make the decision what content you want. The game comes with everything on this page in its base form:

http://www.iracing.com/membership/subscriptions.php
Quote from ajp71 :From what I understand there is no way to race with the Legends car and as you see the system is cleverly designed, using your free credit to buy cars and tracks you don't want without an option to race a proper single seater or sports racing car without paying extra.

Sounds like to me they are trying to imitate the level of elitism found in real racing. Which is exactly the reason why I am playing games in the first place...
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :Sounds like to me they are trying to imitate the level of elitism found in real racing. Which is exactly the reason why I am playing games in the first place...

How did you deduce that from ajp's post? The game comes with a few ovals and a few road courses. It comes with one oval car and one road car. If you buy a year subscription you get $60 credit to buy whatever you want. It's as simple as that. What does that have to do with elitism?

A smart person would use the credit to purchase cars/tracks needed to compete in the next level series (but you're not required). See this post:

http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=321307

Every year you renew, you get another $60. So, if you're patient, you never need to purchase additional cars and tracks with your own money if you use the free credit every year. (I doubt many people will do this).
Quote from AndroidXP :Tbh, adding a late model would probably do the least to "keep up" with iRacing, considering how LFS is not really targeting the American market. New cars in general (would now) do IMO very little as long as they're based on the same physics, unless maybe if they fill out a huge gap.

Better tyre physics, better damage- and aero modelling (especially important for oval racing), more- and more characteristic tracks (heck, maybe a more interesting oval for you roundabout nuts )... that is what would help LFS push forward.
Tracks for longevity, physics for showing who's the boss

agree 100% with you but why not targeting the american market?
Quote from chunkyracer :I agree with you, but I´m not so sure that IRacing will open their system that way. After all, if they do it, in what are they diferent of what you we have now, and how can they justify the price they´re asking??

You mean that if they make the sim more versatile, then people will think it's too expensive?? Weird...
Quote from JJ72 :i don't think anyone is going to sue you because you changed the grass texture honestly, and technically i don't think they would go through all the trouble encripting everything.

No, but they might go into the trouble of revoking your license. And you won't have any grounds to complain, since you've violated the EULA.
@Fischfix:
Not saying that the devs don't plan to at some point make more attractive content for the American market (ovals of all kinds and sizes, basically), but I think that right now the simulation aspect is simply not complete enough to warrant pushes in that direction. It would be like implementing banger racing without damage modelling, or rally without a detailed surface simulation.

What you do right now on the oval might be fun and might take skill in its own way, but from my knowledge about oval racing (which is arguably very little), it has not much to do with actual oval racing techniques, mainly due to the simplified aero model. For an oval you could probably get away with a worse tyre simulation than now, but the aero is absolutely crucial.

So what I'm saying is, concentrate on fixing the basics, and do it well. Then implement stuff, and implement it properly. Having everything simulated half-assed will always leave you in second place.

Then again, it's not like our ramblings have any influence on the devs' plan anyway, so whatever.
Quote from SamH :clearly what they wanted to deliver was a multimedia presentation intro.

do you have an mba in marketing ?

Quote from The Moose :For those people that aren't in a team and just want pickup racing iRacing is absolutely ideal at the moment.

im one of those and i can tell you it absolutely isnt

Quote from thisnameistaken :Flash designers don't achieve anything in 75kb. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying it never, ever happens.

anthing more than 64k and youre bloating things

Quote from durbster :since the whole iRacing interface is web based, Flash is the only option.

no it isnt
and judging from the srt preview it worked just fine without flash... or rather it worked better without flash

Quote from JJ72 :http://www.janholoubek.com

barf coloured has an intro takes several seconds to load and has a nvaigation that you have to figure out and explore before you can do anything with it... next

Quote :http://www.kindnessandhumility.com (i especially like this one)

hard to read thanks to the lack of spaces and way to visually busy for such a minimalistic page... horrible

Quote :http://www.leoburnett.ca/FLASH/

incredibly annoying and absolutely impossible to decypher the links unless you point your mouse over them

Quote from Technique :They don't use your "free credit" to buy anything. You make the decision what content you want.

no you dont since they force you to buy some horrible single seater before they let you get anywhere close to any of the cars you want to drive
Quote from Shotglass :no you dont since they force you to buy some horrible single seater before they let you get anywhere close to any of the cars you want to drive

hey you're right. You can't skip vehicles to progress to higher licenses. So yeah you need to buy each car up to the one you want to race with online... (you could always race it offline without the license). Oh well. I would be doing this anyway, but I can see why some may not want to.
Wait, so you have to for example buy the Skip Barber car to be able to at some later point buy (and actually race) the Formula Mazda?
I thought you'd be able to grind the car classes you already have to get an high enough safety rating to directly go to any car class you wanted. I guess it makes sense though that you have to "prove your skill" with a certain car class before getting the more powerful versions, but since you have to pay for everything it puts the whole thing into a new perspective.
Yeah check out the posts from #33 on here:

http://forum.racesimcentral.co ... d.php?t=321307&page=2

It kind of sucks especially since as the last poster says the F2000 car is more difficult to drive than the Formula Mazda. Yet you have to purchase it anyway in order to obtain a high enough license to race the Mazda online.
you can of course buy the mazda... but i suppose that lapping it on your own will grow old rather quickly... and youll never have the opportunity to drive a 60 min long race every 2 hours with people youve never met before and will probably never meet again
no idea if you can actually grind the solstice that much (from that perspective the skip barber doesnt seem all that bad) but even if you can it would probably be a lot like the wow south park episode

Quote from Technique :Yeah check out the posts from #33 on here:

http://forum.racesimcentral.co ... d.php?t=321307&page=2

hang on they want me to pay 15$ for the skip barber which ill probably only ever use for 4 time trials lapping on my own?
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG