The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
I am going to buy three months of membership of iracing. Now I can fill in a reffere, so... anyone wants to earn $10 Iracing credit?
Please reply fast
Quote from magux :I am going to buy three months of membership of iracing. Now I can fill in a reffere, so... anyone wants to earn $10 Iracing credit?
Please reply fast

tokihun [at] gmail.com
I wouldn't say no to some iracing cred but Roland got there first far and square!
Am I the only one who thinks collision boxes in iRacing are unacceptably large?
I haven't noticed that at this point... Maybe it was a lag issues? Although I am in Canada, I've run into a few situations where I thought for sure it was a collision and yet it wasn't (nothing more than anal puckering happened); OR I just rubbed mine & their's paint off a bit. Therefore I thought it was pretty decent that way; YMMV.
Quote from NightShift :Am I the only one who thinks collision boxes in iRacing are unacceptably large?

iRacing still has issues with their netcode - the extrapolation still causes quite a few wtf-moments, but it's far better than a year ago... I still think extrapolation is the wrong way to go, but the fans are too hung up on not seeing cars lagging to ask for having accurate positioning...
Quote from NightShift :Am I the only one who thinks collision boxes in iRacing are unacceptably large?

I definitely don't think they are right... but I think to be able to have so many drivers from all over the World at one time, is bound to have some sort of issues with lag etc....
you're always going to have some issue or other with drivers from all over the world racing against each other, even with 2 drivers with a ping of 99 then you're talking a total of 198 between one moving and the other seeing it, if it's for example 2 uk drivers on an australian server, you can have a combined lag of 3/4 of a second even with reasonable connections. i tried an experiment with another member who lives 5 miles form me where on an australian practice server we talked to each other via voice chat whilst being on the phone as well and the delay was very noticable. by making the collision boxes abit large, we hopefully learn to give each other a bit more room to help with those times were the prediction code ends up having to correct itself regarding a cars position, if the boxes were smaller then those little corrections would be more noticable. the only alternative would be to make the collision boxes smaller tha the actual models so you had a margin when your eyes told you there was no space but people would start trying to push into that space and you'd get complaints about cars apssing through each other.
Granted my ping is not that great, it's an average of 180 for the US farm, but that's not iRacing specific: I race against people from other continents in the other sims as well, because I tend to race at late hours for Europeans.

Quote from tinvek :by making the collision boxes abit large, we hopefully learn to give each other a bit more room

Yeah I supposed you could look at it that way but it still stinks.

It's extremely penalizing in close racing situations, when more than 2 cars are battling. And I'm not even concerned by the SR, rather the interaction between large collision boxes and the damage model.

I can live with getting a 4x but getting my suspension's arms wrecked? that's bound to ruin a race for no valid reason.

And I'm just racing tin tops, net even single seaters with fancy shapes.

Quote from tinvek :but people would start trying to push into that space and you'd get complaints about cars apssing through each other.

Actually I've seen that already, I assumed it was their solution to the LFS 'flying up to the stars' issue with collisions.

PS: yesterday I dug up this video, my jaw dropped:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chBYKa_P9YU
IDK I had some very very good close racing in the solstice without experiencing any unreasonable collisions.

Going into T1 at Lime rock park I went there 3 wide and none of us came out of it with a collision (granted someone spun out from going to fast and too low but that was from the kerbs more than a collision)
The video above, the front guy also spins because of the kerbs.
Then there is the invisible collision when the front car is out of control and the rear car passes close.
The kerb in that corner is killer.
Yeah the point of the video is the car in front being moved around by the one that's overtaking.

BTW is there an official explanation why you can't see the inputs of other players in the replays?

I also noticed you can't get telemetry out of your own replays, which sucks.
That video induce in error because IMO its not the invisible collision that sets the front car out of control. The invisible collision happens later when the cars are closer.

That said, its not good this weird bugs, but I hope they get better in the future. I once saw a car driving the watkins glen parabolic on 2 wheels because of lag. It was hilarious (I was having lag issues, so its not entirely their fault:razz

I don't know why they don't show the wheel moving from other players.
We cant get the correct inputs, like LFS (the other players inputs are lagged as well, its not the real inputs ) but the fixed wheel is not good.
The other players car wheels move and steer, but the driving wheel is fixed but its not really important for me.
As in LFS you cant get any true telemetry data from multiplayer replays.

edit: Oops, you cant get telemetry from offline own replays? That's bad :S
Agreed the video could be more explicit but there should be no doubt as to what is causing a 4x.

Actually I meant from online replays cos the local data is not affected by lag and other maladies. And with the replay files being so big I would expect to be a lot of high resolution data inside.

I checked out iSpeed but the lap analyzer looks more like an afterthought in a program that is meant to fit another bill.
2010 Season 2 Schedule posted:

http://members.iracing.com/ifo ... readID=80279&tstart=0

I hate complaining, but seriously, absolutely no changes to the oval schedule and 1-2 changes on most of the road ones? That's the best you could do iRacing? It honestly seems to me like they forgot and just said "oh well we'll just give them the exact same schedule again". LFS leagues came up with better schedules from season to season with a smaller amount of tracks to choose from than iRacing has, its a joke if you ask me.
+1, i have the feeling they aren't even driving some tracks from the schedule, before they released it to public. Jetta has still two or three full-throttle tracks and the good, more suitable ones are ditched. No shorter combos used, as some people asked. Just "drive what we gave you" style. I am not amused.
Quote from UncleBenny :2010 Season 2 Schedule posted:

I hate complaining, but seriously, absolutely no changes to the oval schedule and 1-2 changes on most of the road ones? That's the best you could do iRacing? It honestly seems to me like they forgot and just "oh well we'll just give them the exact same schedule again". LFS leagues came up with better schedules from season to season with a smaller amount of tracks to choose from than iRacing has, its a joke if you ask me.

What? Multi-class racing for the first time in iRacing and a new series? I'm sorry, but I personally can't complain about that...
Quote from Wilko868 :What? Multi-class racing for the first time in iRacing and a new series? I'm sorry, but I personally can't complain about that...

DP vs Radical is not multi-class racing to me. Aren't they almost the exact same speed at most tracks? When they get something lower horsepower out like the Mustang, and put that up against a HP-monster like the C6R, maybe I'd get more excited about it. Two distinct classes, racing for their own championships, that's multi-class racing.

And the V8 Supercar is cool, I actually can't wait to try it out, but that has nothing to do with the fact that they made little to no changes to the rest of the schedule. The fact that the Impala B and truck schedule have their 3 flat tracks 3 consecutive weeks was pointed out LAST season and they did nothing about it. The least they could do was re-arrange them for us. But again, nothing.
Wilko you're just a spacker though, you jizz over anything iRacing-related. :|

For me with a 3 month offer thingy, while I have an alright choice with the rookie cars and tracks to keep me amused for a bit - though I want to try Solstice @ Summit Point, and I want a Leg ends road series - moving up the classes I'm going to have to spend $100 or something to do a say, Skippy series...

And the hosted sessions are a rip off. There's a bunch of us, some of us have the licence to race the SRF and some who don't but to have a race or practice together it'll cost us $3 - and even then we can't just restart races like on LFS can we?
There are too many track/car combos IMO, Yes new tracks and cars deliver more income in the short term but I dont think in the long term this is the way to go. I think its spreading the userbase too thin as it is and thats bad news.

Look at how many good and empty LFS servers there are?.

Less is more .
This collision box glitch just happened to me (red/black car):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... p;feature=player_embedded

:\

I'm gonna get back into iRacing because I'm going to Skip Barber in August so I'll be wanting to get into the F2000 in the sim.
This guy was lagging pretty bad I think...from an obscure country

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2Wkp9DCv4Y

Happened a long time ago. Really the only time its happened to me this badly. I made the video to send him because he was NOT happy lol.

It was a 0x and then I got a 2x because he crashed iirc.
Quote from UncleBenny :2010 Season 2 Schedule posted:

I hate complaining, but seriously, absolutely no changes to the oval schedule and 1-2 changes on most of the road ones? That's the best you could do iRacing? It honestly seems to me like they forgot and just said "oh well we'll just give them the exact same schedule again".

You gotta be used to that now, they always make it a copy&paste job from the previous season (only seen one time they really overhauled the schedule)... I understand they want to bring a bit of stability to it (so a new member doesn't need to buy content every season), but a bit more variation should be possible, at least make it another layout of the same track...

Quote from UncleBenny :DP vs Radical is not multi-class racing to me. Aren't they almost the exact same speed at most tracks? When they get something lower horsepower out like the Mustang, and put that up against a HP-monster like the C6R, maybe I'd get more excited about it. Two distinct classes, racing for their own championships, that's multi-class racing.

Totally agree - I don't think they really grasp the concept of classes... That matchup could be epic though - like the BTCC of yesteryear (which too was only one class)...
whilst it's not multiclass as a lot of us wanted it should be pretty good and help keep the participation high for those cars, pity they didn't chuck the corvette in as well and run the races 7 days a week.

if you're going for another fairly balanced mulitclass i'd love to see the lotus and indycar together in a road circuit, lap times can be very close between them on some circuits but achieved in totally different ways.

must admit the schedule has me seriously wondering what to run next season, i was going to do the lotus as i like the tracks but the radical / DP intrigues me and of course there's the V8 aswell
are they still forcing you to purchase DP & Rad if u want to run in that series?
also have they given you split times yet?
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG