The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from UncleBenny :This is how I feel too. I got over the initial shock of the subscription, I don't really have a problem paying every month. I still think the content is overpriced, especially when you lose it all when you stop subscribing. Also the fact that if my internet goes out for whatever reason, I can't even practice offline.

Quote from UncleBenny :You keep them as long as you keep subscribing. If you stop you can't play, therefore you have no cars and tracks. If you start subscribing again, then you still have any content you bought previously.

Oh god can you see how I got the wrong end of the stick there. Oops .
That makes it a very different proposition, I can take a break from iracing & come back at any time & still have access to all the content I previously purchased.

Glad we got that cleared up .
I'd say the best thing they could do would be to allow the continued use of owned content offline after your subscription to online racing ends. They could bring in a sensible condition for this, i.e. a minimum subscription initially of 6 months in order to keep access to the service for offline use if you stop paying. I can't see how they would lose money from this, as I can't see many continuing their subscription just to drive offline. It would attract more members though I'm sure, making many more of us consider it.
+1 to that dave.

The content should be available on or off line especially as your having to pay extra for it.
I paid for the year subscription last July, and am happy with the way iRacing is progressing. However when I paid for iRacing in the middle of last year the exchange rate was just over 2 dollars to the pound. At the moment it is $1.47 to the pound.

Thats quite a hefty mark-up on an $170 subscription! Just over £30, to be exact... Whether I will be able to justify spending that much extra cash compared to last year on a new subscription is anyones guess....
Only thing I can think of is it was the only way they could think of to make sure no one pirates the game. And with a game that costs that much to play, you know people would.
Quote from UncleBenny :Only thing I can think of is it was the only way they could think of to make sure no one pirates the game. And with a game that costs that much to play, you know people would.

.....but it was still pirated in no time at all. Obviously you couldn't drive online, but the pirate copy enabled you to drive all the cars and tracks offline.

That was an older version though. I doubt it will be long before a version of the updated sim comes out.

You can't beat pirates.
I'm nearing the end of my month trial too (that was fast.) My thoughts completely echo you guys above me regarding pricing, content, and offline driving.

The shock of "paying a subscription" has been somewhat blunted after giving it the 1 month trial. However the subscription is only 10% of the game and I object full force to paying additionally in order to access the other 90%.

I love the software, I hate the business model. It really is a very high quality product. The tracks, the modeling, the physics are all top notch.
Quote from The Moose :.....but it was still pirated in no time at all. Obviously you couldn't drive online, but the pirate copy enabled you to drive all the cars and tracks offline.

You can't beat pirates.

It's funny, but I just can't find the motivation to drive the pirate version. I did give it some time in December, and came away generally unimpressed. It took the month trial for things to really grow on me.

I'm not staying, but it was a good move for them to offer the trial.
Quote from Mattesa :It's funny, but I just can't find the motivation to drive the pirate version .

Neither can i. I prefer to support sim makers.

But if i subscribed for a while and bought a load of content then stopped for a bit i wouldn't hesitate to download it. (well, if there was an updated version.)
If I've paid for content i would feel no guilt whatsoever in driving the pirate version.
One thing I do like about iRacing is that everyone that takes part is contributing to the cost of running game servers and websites for leagues etc.... Something that a lot of people forget costs money for in other games like LFS, rFactor etc!
Quote from The Moose :
If I've paid for content i would feel no guilt whatsoever in driving the pirate version.

But you would be missing out on the best part of iRacing, the online competition.
Quote from anttt69 :But you would be missing out on the best part of iRacing, the online competition.

You obviously missed the part where i said "if i stopped subscribing for a while"
Quote from Origamiboy :I paid for the year subscription last July, and am happy with the way iRacing is progressing. However when I paid for iRacing in the middle of last year the exchange rate was just over 2 dollars to the pound. At the moment it is $1.47 to the pound.

Thats quite a hefty mark-up on an $170 subscription! Just over £30, to be exact... Whether I will be able to justify spending that much extra cash compared to last year on a new subscription is anyones guess....

Yeah, I was thinking that too.... massive hike!
I see iRacing a wee bit different then some. I see it as a long term investment, one that some might think cost alot, but in the long run it really doesn't. I paid for a year right after I got done with beta, and anything less then the one year would have been a bad idea. I know for some it's tough money wise, but I have stopped going out a couple times a month (one or 2 times is like 30 bucks combined minimum IMO). Those 2 times a month, for 4 to 5 months will have me a year of iRacing, and all the other months out of the year I am saving that extra bit of cash on content (that the iR dollars from a year Sub hasn't already paid for).

One thing I wish they would do though is pack each series into a price package. So when you go into D on road and want to drive the skippy, you can get a discounted priced package that pays for the skippy, and all the tracks that are in that series (like 10-20% offEdit: already do this, sorry.). Once you get into higher series, you have most of the tracks already. So then you shouldn't be allowed to get the same discount on those series as when you first entered the skippy series. Catch my drift?

Edit: I forgot that when you buy 3 things at a time it's 10% off, and 6 is 20%. So what I said above can basically be thrown out the window.
20% discount is actually for 6 items or more
Its the racing equivalent of WoW

like ZOMFFFGGG!!
Quote from whitey6272 :Its the racing equivalent of WoW

like ZOMFFFGGG!!

Does that mean I'm getting double doze of that heroin being subscribed to both?
Quote from whitey6272 :Its the racing equivalent of WoW

like ZOMFFFGGG!!

WHAT WHAT WHAT>.. you kidding me? All I have to do is get a heavy weight for the accelerator pedal and then go away for 30 minutes while my car goes forward
Wrong again! that is LFS oval cruise server
Quote :We are sorry to see that you have elected not to renew your iRacing.com subscription. Your account has expired and you will no longer be able to access the iRacing service or use the simulation software. If, however, you decide to renew your subscription in the future, you can reactivate your account by visiting the My Account section of the iRacing.com member site. We hope to see you on track again soon!

Nooooooooo, I wanted to get one last race in tonight.
Quote from UncleBenny :Nooooooooo, I wanted to get one last race in tonight.

go on, just one months subscription, it wouldn't mean you had to do another would it ? after all, it's just a recreational thing and it's not like you couldn't stop whenever you want to, you can control it and you wont get hooked and end up spending more and more on just another month, another track or another car

will you ?
Quote from tinvek :go on, just one months subscription, it wouldn't mean you had to do another would it ? after all, it's just a recreational thing and it's not like you couldn't stop whenever you want to, you can control it and you wont get hooked and end up spending more and more on just another month, another track or another car

will you ?

Sure one month couldn't hurt, I'm just doing this for fun anyway. I could walk away right now if I really wanted to...just not yet. I just need to get up to the next license to see what the racing is like up there, I'm not going to buy all the content for the series though, nope not me. I'm not hooked at all, I'm just giving it a try. The first month was free anyway...so what could it hurt to spend a little money on it.

Seriously though I'm going on vacation next week so I'll be gone for two weeks, no reason to pay for iRacing when I won't be around my computer. When I get back I'll probably sign up for a year though, unless LFS comes out with some awesome patch while I'm gone.
There are only two industries that refer to their customers as users, technology and the drug trade.
Quote from UncleBenny :Sure one month couldn't hurt, I'm just doing this for fun anyway. I could walk away right now if I really wanted to...just not yet. I just need to get up to the next license to see what the racing is like up there, I'm not going to buy all the content for the series though, nope not me. I'm not hooked at all, I'm just giving it a try. The first month was free anyway...so what could it hurt to spend a little money on it.

Seriously though I'm going on vacation next week so I'll be gone for two weeks, no reason to pay for iRacing when I won't be around my computer. When I get back I'll probably sign up for a year though, unless LFS comes out with some awesome patch while I'm gone.

Guess you'll be paying for iRacing then.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG