The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from 65D :iRacing Rookie series are naturally dangerous to drive proper racing. Rookies of course are not used to game and thats why there are so much more racing incidents and accidents on the Rookie series. I started my oval career mid-May, got away from Rookie with Street Stocks on the first week of June and starting my season 3 as NASCAR Truck driver with license B.

All I did on the Rookie series was start the race from the pits, drive clean incident-free races without racing with people and then you are out of there.
And obviously on higher class series the races are must more clean.

Usually its just one jackass who ruins it :P
Yeah I agree that sometimes you are like ought to let all pass and start from the back or the pits in case you wanna reach the finish without incidents, but if you have quite a proper SR then u are pretty calm by knowing that u will have a proper race. The start of everything is the hardest thing then over the time - things are gettin' better and you can start racing in the way how you should start (not lettin' all pass you and etc.).
Good news:

Quote from AllanGP :Well I've tried the new FFB settings - a good solid improvement as far as I can tell.

... snappy lift off over steer is virtually gone in the Skippy, a few more laps and I'll be drifting it!

Quote from renard :I just tested the Skippy at Watkins, what an improvement! Now it feels like a race-trainer and not some dangerous little dog that wants to bite you at every opportunity. I might even race it next season! :-D

I've yet to hear something about the NTM Jetta. It would be interesting now to repeat the experiment of putting an iRacer in the real life Jetta series.
I think the Jetta feels good, the only query I have is that it seems to carry alot of speed around corners, though it does have slicks, and I've never driven a road spec car on slicks so I couldn't make a judgement on it outright.
wow Summit Point Raceway - Jefferson Reverse is a challenge in mx5.

random lift off oversteer. meh.

did race started 16th came 2nd but so much contact with lapped cars and cars rejoining.. so many noobs.

not sure if a 56.654 is any good but only .1 off leader
Decided to buy the two years for the price of one, been about 2 years since I last played so should be interesting...2.7gb worth of updates though!
Almost got my first oval win today, until a new guy slid up the racetrack into my car. Salvaged an 8th. At least I led some laps for once. :P

I love Lanier Speedway, it's so fun to drive there.
Quote from carfetish :Good news:

*skippy is better quotes*

Don't agree. Car feels unchanged and definitely still snaps, unlike the real car mind. The FFB is fairly different feeling with the new settings to try, but the physics are the same and the physics are wrong (not totally, but wrong enough).

A huge bout of placebo always follows iRacing updates. Take all analysis with a huge grain of salt. Ideally, stay away from the forums AND the release notes before trying the cars.

I do like the Solstice on the NTM, just not when it's sliding. Pretty much the same story for all the cars.

My sub is going to run out in a month and I'm probably not going to renew until I'm well and done with Project CARS and Asetto Corsa. The physics in iRacing should have progressed pretty well since then. It's getting better with every update but it's still a chore to drive.
I got up to Class D in road racing and I am ready for another promotion already. It seems easier to class up on the road side compared to oval.
Only now do they give us Linear FFB (hidden in an ini file), it's brilliant, **** knows why it's not the default and it's taken what, 4 years?

On iR I was pretty much putting up with the driving so I could race against other people, but now with proper FFB the cars actually don't feel terrible to drive. Of course, cold tyres are still faster (still can't believe it's been like this for a year) but the FFB makes some difference.
Quote from DeKo :Only now do they give us Linear FFB (hidden in an ini file), it's brilliant, **** knows why it's not the default and it's taken what, 4 years?

It's made a major difference. I'm enjoying driving iRacing again at last.

I completely agree, it shouldn't be hidden away in an .ini file, it should be the default setting, tweakable in game.
Jumped straight into an MX5 race last night at Summit Point and only came 12th, managed a 56.8 though so slowly getting faster
Quote from The Moose :It's made a major difference. I'm enjoying driving iRacing again at last.

I completely agree, it shouldn't be hidden away in an .ini file, it should be the default setting, tweakable in game.

Guess I need to fire it up again too then, thanks for the heads up guys.
Won my first oval race, only the Legends Rookie but it's a start
NTM model updates were not mentioned in the build notes (that's the PR strategy of the last few builds, a countermeasure to the unconstructive feedback received before). Here's a good summary:

Quote from Bakkster :While it wasn't explicitly called out in the build notes, the NTM got a nice handling update this season. While the compound optimal temp issues haven't been resolved, the feel has greatly. Many drivers are reporting between the NTM update and the linear FFB that many previous problems have been fixed (inability to drift, too hard to catch slides via countersteering, car feels connected instead of floating on the road).

Quite the improvement to drivability, heard very few drivers who aren't happy with it.

http://www.virtualr.net/iracin ... ailable#comment-601640510
Quote from R34GTR :Won my first oval race, only the Legends Rookie but it's a start

one of the hardest series to win a race I think good job ...
Quote from StableX :one of the hardest series to win a race I think good job ...

Starting on pole helped Got a good start and pulled away a big enough gap I was able to just take it easy

Looked through my race history last night, and never even realised that I once raced Shane Van Gisbergen in the Solstice back in 2010...I'm sure you can guess who won the race I did some 2nd though by only seven seconds
Quote from Franky.S :rookie sucks ass.

ppl divebomb from fking 3 miles back. and one tap and steering damage ? wtf

this
Quote from R34GTR :Won my first oval race, only the Legends Rookie but it's a start

I've raced in about 15 of them Legends Rookie races in week 13 and this is the only one that I've been able to win so far..

http://members.iracing.com/mem ... =6116397&custid=99708

Can I link you guys to that or does it not work?

Also, I fast track promoted Saturday to D class.. can I race 4 races today and still get my C class promotion tonight at midnight, or was I supposed to promote last night at midnight? I'm a little confused... my races required MPR isn't dropping from 4 no matter how many races I race today..
Quote from Cornys :I've raced in about 15 of them Legends Rookie races in week 13 and this is the only one that I've been able to win so far..

http://members.iracing.com/mem ... =6116397&custid=99708

Can I link you guys to that or does it not work?

Also, I fast track promoted Saturday to D class.. can I race 4 races today and still get my C class promotion tonight at midnight, or was I supposed to promote last night at midnight? I'm a little confused... my races required MPR isn't dropping from 4 no matter how many races I race today..

You need to race In D class races to get your MPR down, I think, and I can see the link fine.

Here is my only win.

http://members.iracing.com/mem ... =6129675&custid=99814

I'm suprised I got it starting so far back. Not the strongest field.
Quote from FalconBridge :You need to race In D class races to get your MPR down, I think, and I can see the link fine.

I'll have to get my SR up to 4.00 and race in the C Class Street Stock series this week to get my license up then :/

I'm not going to buy anything on iRacing I don't think since I'll only have it for 6 months probably..
Quote from carfetish :NTM model updates were not mentioned in the build notes (that's the PR strategy of the last few builds, a countermeasure to the unconstructive feedback received before). Here's a good summary:

http://www.virtualr.net/iracin ... ailable#comment-601640510

iPlacebo. I remember not too long ago, people started loving the SRF. They said it was easier to drive, closer races, etc, etc, etc. and called attention to a "secret update". iRacing responded that it wasn't changed and everything went back to normal. People do this with every update.

Until there is actual evidence it's hearsay. I didn't notice a difference. Admittedly, I don't drive it much any more.
So there is an absolute need to make another purchase(s) in order to continue getting up in classes after rookie?
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG