The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Finally got my 4.0 so I can race the modifieds online, things seem pretty clean there so far. Ran out of gas with like 20 to go though. Didn't realize the setup I downloaded didn't have the right amount of fuel and I've never refueled during a race before, I was all the way up to 3rd at that point too. If I end up going with the full year subscription I'll probably spend alot of time in this division, so much fun to drive.
Quote from UncleBenny :Finally got my 4.0 so I can race the modifieds online, things seem pretty clean there so far. Ran out of gas with like 20 to go though. Didn't realize the setup I downloaded didn't have the right amount of fuel and I've never refueled during a race before, I was all the way up to 3rd at that point too. If I end up going with the full year subscription I'll probably spend alot of time in this division, so much fun to drive.

I'd like to try the Impala SS though I think I have a long way to go in Oval racing first. The Chevy Silverado is hard enough for me!
I'm pretty thankful that Radical has the free promotion deal going on right now, I was able to obtain a code. A little miffed that I need to give a credit card number to try it still, but oh well. Hopefully soon I'll be able to give the sim a whirl and see how it stacks up. It sounds great to me, although I doubt I'll be getting a subscription; it's too much for the amount of free time I have, unfortunately.
w00T! I think I might be up to a 5.00 before the end of the week. Already up to a 4.5!
Quote from Rappa Z :w00T! I think I might be up to a 5.00 before the end of the week. Already up to a 4.5!

If you reach 5.00 I will personally fly over to the states with a bottle of champagne for you. You'll need to show me a screenshot though
I got .5 in a race once, had two off road incident things that was all.
Quote from AlienT. :If you reach 5.00 I will personally fly over to the states with a bottle of champagne for you. You'll need to show me a screenshot though

lol
Quote from AlienT. :If you reach 5.00 I will personally fly over to the states with a bottle of champagne for you. You'll need to show me a screenshot though

can't we just pay for his flight to meet us in the dam?
Quote from MAGGOT :I'm pretty thankful that Radical has the free promotion deal going on right now, I was able to obtain a code. A little miffed that I need to give a credit card number to try it still, but oh well. Hopefully soon I'll be able to give the sim a whirl and see how it stacks up. It sounds great to me, although I doubt I'll be getting a subscription; it's too much for the amount of free time I have, unfortunately.

Note that the credit card is being used for a "rolling subscription", which will automatically start billing you unless you take action to cancel the subscription. There was a complaint about this on the RAS newsgroup.
Quote from JeffR :Note that the credit card is being used for a "rolling subscription", which will automatically start billing you unless you take action to cancel the subscription. There was a complaint about this on the RAS newsgroup.

If that's the only complaint then that's not bad
so is evryone paying the ridiculous $170 to play this game now then..?

Is it worth it?
Quote from whitey6272 :so is evryone paying the ridiculous $170 to play this game now then..?

No, I don't.
Quote from whitey6272 :so is evryone paying the ridiculous $170 to play this game now then..?

Nope, my brother lives next door to me so i use his account if i feel the urge

I still don't think its worth the money, but they are definitely improving things at quite a rate.
When we see how the private leagues is going to work then i might finally be tempted, but i feel even that is going to be restricted in some way...Only time will tell.

The subscription charges are fine. I still have major issues with the fact that you can spend hundreds of pounds on additional content and not have anything to show for it if you decide to stop subscribing for a while. That the major stumbling block for me.
If, after you subs ran out, you could still log onto the main page and just have the option to select to drive offline then it would be great.

Is it worth it?

Ridiculos?

Is it worth it? I don`t know if it is for you, but it`s for me! I think it`s cheap because I consider it as a hobby. All my other hobbies is also costing me money and far more than iRacing....
Quote from whitey6272 :Is it worth it?

Since they now have a sort of free demo (which is the Radical 1 month offer), you can find out about that yourself.
Quote from The Moose :The subscription charges are fine. I still have major issues with the fact that you can spend hundreds of pounds on additional content and not have anything to show for it if you decide to stop subscribing for a while. That the major stumbling block for me.
If, after you subs ran out, you could still log onto the main page and just have the option to select to drive offline then it would be great.

This is how I feel too. I got over the initial shock of the subscription, I don't really have a problem paying every month. I still think the content is overpriced, especially when you lose it all when you stop subscribing. Also the fact that if my internet goes out for whatever reason, I can't even practice offline.

Quote from richard dk :Ridiculos?

Is it worth it? I don`t know if it is for you, but it`s for me! I think it`s cheap because I consider it as a hobby. All my other hobbies is also costing me money and far more than iRacing....

Yeah that's pretty much how I feel. My other main hobby would be going out to the bars on weekends, which is not exactly cheap over the course of a year. I figure if I stay in just one night a month, then that right there saves me enough money to cover the cost of iRacing.
Quote from UncleBenny : My other main hobby would be going out to the bars on weekends, which is not exactly cheap over the course of a year.

Good argument..
The cost of iRacing
I've also been considering the cost of iRacing. I'm currently in my third week of my free trial & i have admit i'm really getting sucked in, mostly by the content & possibilities that lie ahead. Problem is the Slowstice is not gona keep me entertained for long & after doing a bit of research I realy want to try a full season in the skipy.
I have read so many good stories about the quality of racing in the skip barber.

So to the cost. My trial runs out soon so i decided to go for the 3 months membership & all of the content required to race a full season of the skipy.
After deductions this works out @ a whopping $91 or £63! & all i am getting is one car & two tracks (above what i have aleady).

I know that if you compare it to going out or other hobbies it's not really that much but if you compare it like for like i.e. other sims, I could go & buy myself Rfactor, NKpro, & LFS for that much. Thats three entire sims that will last me years compared to some good iRacing for only three months. Added to which if I decide i've had enough skipy racing when my membership runs out & i dont wish to renew i will lose the expensive content that i have just shelled out for .

I could almost justify the cost, but loosing the content that you have already bought (if you do not continue your subscription) is just not acceptable. If I have paid to race the skip barber & i have paid for a track to race it on then I should get to keep those items indefinately. Thats like someone saying "if you dont continue using your Car we're going to reposess it, even if you have already paid for it!"

You cant just take things back from people that they already own. Thats plain robbery!. Imo the iRacing system is to strict & places far to much emphasis on milking us poor sim racers for every dollar they can get out of us. It's to much about the money to them & I find their terms completely unreasonable.

Your thoughts.
Quote from anttt69 :Your thoughts.

My thoughts are I agree with most of what you say but at the end of the day I still find myself trying to justify the cost.

You know going into iRacing that at the end of it, you own nothing, so you can't say they're taking anything away from you. It sucks and I wish they wouldn't do it that way, but that's life. Its not for everyone and I wouldn't really blame anyone for not going past a one month trial of iRacing. You also have to consider that this system is what millions of people have been dealing with playing World of Warcraft for years now. They don't pay for content, but they did pay for the game and expansions, and if they stop subscribing they have nothing as well.

I guess I just look at iRacing as a long term thing. I wouldn't go for 3 months and a couple tracks and then want to have to decide if I want to sign up again or else I lose my stuff. I'm considering signing up for a year when my trial is up soon, and if I do, I'll be planning on playing iRacing not just for a year but for a couple years at least, so you have to ask yourself if you think the game is going to keep progressing the way you want it to over that time period. In my opinion I would say paying for content for 3 months is not worth it, but if you buy content and plan on playing for a long period, then the cost relative to the time you played the game goes down, so as a long term investment its not as bad.
I thought you do get to keep or cars and tracks? Or do you just lose them in the promotion?
Quote from Rappa Z :I thought you do get to keep or cars and tracks? Or do you just lose them in the promotion?

You keep them as long as you keep subscribing. If you stop you can't play, therefore you have no cars and tracks. If you start subscribing again, then you still have any content you bought previously.
Quote from anttt69 :You cant just take things back from people that they already own. Thats plain robbery!

They don't take it back. They keep it safe for you in their "garage" for free, until you decide to renew your subscription.
You will keep any content that you buy, you just won't be able to use the service without active subscription.

About the cost, yes it's much more cheaper to play rFactor but you'll really have to find exactly the right league if you want compete seriously. Even after that, content you're getting is completely based on volunteer work and most of it is just not that good or work-in-progress.

As for NKPro and LFS comparison, you have much more options to go for and I don't really know why you say that you can only run Skippy for 3 moths. Being able to run faster cars doesn't mean you have to, some LFS racers have been just happy running XFG on BLGP for more than 3 years.
Quote from anttt69 :Your thoughts.

IMO they will have to tone down the price down along the road. You see they are doing this already with the Radical free trial. The pricing model as of now, is simply insane, but they are using price as a marketing tool, which is quite a common practice for innovative products in their inception period.

(Now I'm sure someone will stand out and say it's a gift from Radical, that iRacing has nothing to do with it etc, but seriously if you think about it for a net time of 2 seconds you'll realize who's getting the most benefit out of the trial - there are likely more simmers online on LFS on average than Radical badged cars out there.)
There are a lot of things I think iRacing could do to get more people. One is a cheaper first month trial, maybe $10? Then after that a month can go up to $20. And they need better cars to come with it. Include the Skippy and the Late Model, which I consider the next step up from the base cars. The Solstice isn't terrible, but the power steering does not do the the FFB model justice. If I hadn't gotten the Radical for free I would not have the same opinion about iRacing. They need to include a faster car with it to show people what the game is capable of.

The problem is, its hard to change things now and not make long time customers feel like they got screwed for buying into the system early.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG