The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
to be fair to intrepid, yes he did bang on about his problems but he was right about loosing time especially witht he season end saturday.

BUT have you seen his post on the iracing thread in the off topic section? he's very positive about it and defending it !! and i agree with him they should work some system of being able to try a car before you buy, even if it was in the form of say a £2 cost which was enabled it for 24 hrs and if you then went for the full use of the car the £2 was allocated against the full price.
Yep there are 2 things iRacing can do to get a load more signups. One is a demo, and the other is to alow a non credit card method of payment.

Even a timed demo, say 1 hours free use of iRacing, then you have to buy a subscription to continue racing.
OK, a bit late but I have now had some time to play on my fixed iRacing. The support I actually recieved once I kicked up a little storm was second to none. When you kick up a storm people take note and take action

It was fantastic. Thanks Susan who ever you are. There was problem with the iRacing software (as I knew), and a patch was installed promply once they figured it out.

If your interested in my thoughts about iRacing as a sim package here's what I wrote on another thread

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=965102#post965102
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=965106#post965106
I swear that Susan broad is their only support staff, she was the one that fixed my iRacing account (incorrect name).
I'll reply in this thread to keep things contained. Nothing big, but just an opinion that I have to put out there

Quote from Intrepid :In my opinion LFS will teach a driver as much about driving as iRacing.

I agree on this entirely since the statement itself is absolutely true. However the way in which the sim teaches you is entirely different. I spent some very good time in LFS and it really introduced me to different racing techniques and some basic racecraft: I learned the gist of trailbraking and defensive driving and the really basic stuff like driving line was already known to me through watching races/playing lesser sims etc. This gave me a good boost in my early iRacing days and I had very little trouble getting out of that 'rookie' zone.

The only true difference is that iRacing encourages safe driving over fast driving at all times, and for me it meant moving away from training like this:

Overdriving from lap 1 -> adjust down to the limit

To the proper way of doing it:

Finding the line -> find marks -> find limit

This is just a bad habit that seems to develop naturally for simracers without real-life experience. iRacing does a good job of forcing their drivers to drive reasonably, which is I think the only part where it's significantly different from LFS or any other sim. At least I feel that it has made me a better (sim)racer anyway.
a real life trackday would sort that out actually.
Quote from Jertje :I'll reply in this thread to keep things contained. Nothing big, but just an opinion that I have to put out there

I agree on this entirely since the statement itself is absolutely true. However the way in which the sim teaches you is entirely different. I spent some very good time in LFS and it really introduced me to different racing techniques and some basic racecraft: I learned the gist of trailbraking and defensive driving and the really basic stuff like driving line was already known to me through watching races/playing lesser sims etc. This gave me a good boost in my early iRacing days and I had very little trouble getting out of that 'rookie' zone.

The only true difference is that iRacing encourages safe driving over fast driving at all times, and for me it meant moving away from training like this:

Overdriving from lap 1 -> adjust down to the limit

To the proper way of doing it:

Finding the line -> find marks -> find limit

This is just a bad habit that seems to develop naturally for simracers without real-life experience. iRacing does a good job of forcing their drivers to drive reasonably, which is I think the only part where it's significantly different from LFS or any other sim. At least I feel that it has made me a better (sim)racer anyway.

really well put. I couldn't agree more. LFS has been brilliant up to a point but misses out as it doesn't reflect the safety aspect. That's where iRacing makes you a better driver. Hard but fair approaches to sim racing wont cut the mustard in iRacing.
I am a bit torn between the good and bad points of the sr. First of all it doesn't imho tell anything about how "safe" a driver is and secondly it is really easy to keep it high enough to get to the highest lisences. Thirdly imho an sr type of gamish feature doesn't work very well in sim environment as the sr itself is not enough at all to teach what is wrong and what is correct, it isn't even imho systematic enough for giving out similar penalties in similar incidents. And as for positives I really like that people do less thoroughly idiotic things but you still se people stopping on racing line to be able to "esc out" or keep moving when they spin making it impossible to the people behind him to take avoidance. And there is nothing telling them that they could have avoided that, all that is done is that they get few incident points. Nothing learned
The only solution I see to this problem (whatever the sim) is experience and maturity.
There are ways to acquire experience faster, but maturity... My wife would say especially difficult for people driving their computers
So iracing selects a supposedly (and apparently that works) more "mature" crew by a grown-up affordable pricing policy, whereas in LFS it is left to the server admins to find a way to attract the correct crowd.
Quote from Intrepid :OK, a bit late but I have now had some time to play on my fixed iRacing. The support I actually recieved once I kicked up a little storm was second to none. When you kick up a storm people take note and take action

It was fantastic. Thanks Susan who ever you are. There was problem with the iRacing software (as I knew), and a patch was installed promply once they figured it out.

If your interested in my thoughts about iRacing as a sim package here's what I wrote on another thread

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=965102#post965102
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=965106#post965106

In some places that might work. But at iRacing kicking up a storm so people notice you isn't needed. Susan is awesome as is the hole staff. I have had a few problem and they are dealt with in a timely manner. I haven't read your thoughts yet but by your tone it sounds like you like it. If so then I am glad.
Quote from A.Ulleri :Susan is awesome as is the hole staff.

Sorry, could not resist...
Even better out of context
Quote from Hyperactive :I am a bit torn between the good and bad points of the sr. First of all it doesn't imho tell anything about how "safe" a driver is and secondly it is really easy to keep it high enough to get to the highest lisences. Thirdly imho an sr type of gamish feature doesn't work very well in sim environment as the sr itself is not enough at all to teach what is wrong and what is correct, it isn't even imho systematic enough for giving out similar penalties in similar incidents. And as for positives I really like that people do less thoroughly idiotic things but you still se people stopping on racing line to be able to "esc out" or keep moving when they spin making it impossible to the people behind him to take avoidance. And there is nothing telling them that they could have avoided that, all that is done is that they get few incident points. Nothing learned

I used to be somewhat critical of the SR, or at least the 1x off track part.

I support it 100% after my first unofficial race last night in the radical. It was just an absolute joke. The SR is an invaluable part of iracing. Without it the quality of races and the realism of the on track behavior would go down the drain.
althoug i still haven't had the oportunity to really do anything above the minimum in iracing over the last 3 months i must admit i do like the SR purely because it inhibits some of the other drivers.

i've always tried to drive on lfs as if it was real and i could get hurt, hurt someone and most importantly end up with a large overdraft and a garage of scrap parts. because of this ive always found myself suffering at the hands of those who arent afraid of touching wheels, forcing their way through etc which is why i tend to use the ctra servers, with iracing everyone is in the same boat.

the only alternative to the sr that i can think of would be for every driver to be issued with a "repair fund" each season and for their "repairs" to be funded out of it, if your fund runs out then you either can't race or you have to contribute some real $s to get a new "repair fund" issued. obviously then the bone of contention would be when you have a load of damage after some other driver has trashed your car through their stupidity though i supose if we had a good recording system protests and claims against other drivers funds could be accomadated.
Yep the guys post that goes with it is funny as well, below

It has come to the attention of the Skip Barber Liberation Front that the Skip Barber has been held captive by iRacing during this season's week 13. This is clearly intolerable, and we have taken one of your vehicles hostage in exchange.

If you want it back in one piece (albeit slightly roughed up and looking a bit sorry for itself), you must release the Skip Barber. If you do not, we will be forced to start mailing bits of our captive back to you via UPS, starting with the grease nipples.

You have been warned. Our pliers are ready, the arc welder is lit, and we have Reservoir Dogs looping on the VCR to get us in the mood. If you doubt what we say, you have only to watch the following evidence...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=k4fs2PyqBgc&fmt=18
or
http://rs20.rapidshare.com/files/159379455/iCrash.wmv (113MB)

Andrew McP... on behalf of the SBLF

PS Both the above links were very slow when I just tried them. Apologies if that stays the case.

PS I started out genuinely annoyed that I couldn't race the Skip Barber this week... I really dislike racing the Solstice. It's a claustrophobic little monster, which behaves like a stubborn oil tanker in my talent-less hands. But I have to admit that during this week's 'experiments' I've started to see the metal monstrosity in slightly different light. I still hate racing in it, and find the it deeply, unsatisfying to lap in. But it's useful for demonstrating the incredible physics under the iRacing hood. I may take it out for a spin again. Be afraid, very afraid. :->
what was pole for skippy at infineon long last season? I honestly can't remember whats a fast lap there lol. I know the fastest guys were in the 47's..but how far?

I just did a few laps and ran a 1:48.15. I was a bit shocked as I normally suck at Infineon. I can be quick in each turn, but doing it all in one lap hasn't ever really happened before.

On another note, I forced myself to do some oval races today...

I was going in with my rookie 2.5 something license woooo lol. I think I had only done one or two oval races previously. I wanted to get my promotion since it is so easy to get to 3.0. Anyways, I actually wound up having some fun. I'm pretty decent at it too. I'm actually contemplating grabbing the late model and running some next season instead of getting all the road course tracks I'm missing. I know I'd have more fun running the late model than the legends. All this started because of the appeal of the trucks...I know I'd enjoy something like that way more than the legend cars with their stupid 15 second laps and no horsepower.

I'd need the LM + 5 tracks = $90 + $50 for Road America and Silverstone for the mazda...and I really wanted to get Sebring too. So that'd bring the tally up toooo 165 before getting 20% off..ouch

I am forgetting however that as soon as the Lotus and the Daytona Prototype come out I'm selling a kidney and some blood to get whatever I need...maybe I should hold off on some stuff
That video was absolutely epic!
Quote from spanks :what was pole for skippy at infineon long last season? I honestly can't remember whats a fast lap there lol. I know the fastest guys were in the 47's..but how far?

I just did a few laps and ran a 1:48.15. I was a bit shocked as I normally suck at Infineon. I can be quick in each turn, but doing it all in one lap hasn't ever really happened before.

On another note, I forced myself to do some oval races today...

I was going in with my rookie 2.5 something license woooo lol. I think I had only done one or two oval races previously. I wanted to get my promotion since it is so easy to get to 3.0. Anyways, I actually wound up having some fun. I'm pretty decent at it too. I'm actually contemplating grabbing the late model and running some next season instead of getting all the road course tracks I'm missing. I know I'd have more fun running the late model than the legends. All this started because of the appeal of the trucks...I know I'd enjoy something like that way more than the legend cars with their stupid 15 second laps and no horsepower.

I'd need the LM + 5 tracks = $90 + $50 for Road America and Silverstone for the mazda...and I really wanted to get Sebring too. So that'd bring the tally up toooo 165 before getting 20% off..ouch

I am forgetting however that as soon as the Lotus and the Daytona Prototype come out I'm selling a kidney and some blood to get whatever I need...maybe I should hold off on some stuff

Well i laughed at your post spanks....I've just sold my left kidney in order to buy the Silverado truck...... whaha what a good deal I got I have two kidneys but theres only one truck....those iRacing fools I've got one over on them.

Oh and I can only manage a 1:49
Quote from AlienT. :Well i laughed at your post spanks....I've just sold my left kidney in order to buy the Silverado truck...... whaha what a good deal I got I have two kidneys but theres only one truck....those iRacing fools I've got one over on them.

don't forget there's always dialysis so you could get rid of the other one, they could hook you up to the machine and you'd have the perfect excuse to sit there playing all day.
I have watched it so many times and I just keep laughing my ass off. My fav shot is in the credits at 4:36.
we've got 44 people in the north east chatroom, all waiting for the 1st race
Yay for the promotions! I must say... the B-Class green is absolutely ghastly

I'll have to reluctantly change some of my colours now, yellow just doesn't look that great in comparison to orange.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG