iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
European tracks and cars?..

From Scott McKee in the email press release of the Vette...

And, of course, there is no more iconic brand than Corvette. Admittedly, it is quintessentially American, but, hey, we’re a U.S.-based company. We started our track library with North American properties, too, but Silverstone soon followed; cars will be no different. Our car- and track-building teams are already warming up their passports for 2009. I’d love to tell you more – but this secret needs to be kept for a bit longer …
It would be not a bad idea if they were going to offer a different 'starter pack' for Europeans. The Legends might be a fun car but certainly it doesn't light up my fire...
Quote from NightShift :It would be not a bad idea if they were going to offer a different 'starter pack' for Europeans. The Legends might be a fun car but certainly it doesn't light up my fire...

the user base isn't nearly big enough to split it up so heavily yet.

If the track they're gonna scan is Spa then its not a very good secret lol.
Quote from spanks :the user base isn't nearly big enough to split it up so heavily yet.

If the track they're gonna scan is Spa then its not a very good secret lol.

I really want Knockhill tbh, but I will wait until rain has been perfected until I start asking a lot about Knockhill......can't have Knockhill without serious amount of rain
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :I really want Knockhill tbh, but I will wait until rain has been perfected until I start asking a lot about Knockhill......can't have Knockhill without serious amount of rain

Knockhill would be just epic good. I must admit, I really like the smaller british tracks, they just have great corners with good amount of elevation changes. But then, I think with the american tracks iracing has, I really don't miss any european tracks because the american tracks are just so good and fun drive. Virginia, infineon and road america are just pure awesomeness imho . Can't wait for mosport and road atlanta. Too bad it seems that mid-ohio is not coming (it was removed from the tracks page on iracing.com)

---
Had a good race today too:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UPyyfOccICM&fmt=18
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9i24VqXQom4&fmt=18

Too bad you can't watch full replays after the races, just the last 5 laps :/. I really hope the replays would come sooner...
I reckon that they won't go to europe and scan just one track. They did it for Silverstone, but that had to do with the Radical, iirc. So, Spa will probably not be the only european track coming. I'm crossing my fingers for Sachsenring (unlikely as it may be).
I'm surprised no one has talked about the C6.R that was announced. Seems like a great addition to the sim. From that little pic that came with the email it seems beautiful too.
Quote from ColeusRattus :
The driving physics, often described as superior in here, don't cut it for me. Now I've only driven the Solstice, as I haven't bought a single seater, but it drives very much like a non racing tin top in GTR-Evo: lot's of tyre squeal on almost every steering or breaking input, which makes finding the limit very hard, and it feels slippy and somehow detached from the road. Force Feedback is despite a resitance to turn the wheel, almost nonexistant, which doesn't help either.

Completely ignore the Solstice, being a really standard bloated modern road car it can't really be compared to any other sim. Get straight in the Legend car change the setup (it has RC setups on the default picking list) and go and see what you think
I just reported an incident which was perfectly similar to the one spanky caught on video earlier. The response was that it is not malicious act so they are not proceeding with the protest. Basically they said the sr is there to take care of these...

I don't know about you but I'd guess you'd get shouted pretty heavily at any track days or racing events if did something like this (going across the track bacwards when there are cars coming at you, collecting few other cars in the process):
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=J6YqvCzcwRY&fmt=18

However, in iracing it seems to be just fine
Quote from Hyperactive :I just reported an incident which was perfectly similar to the one spanky caught on video earlier. The response was that it is not malicious act so they are not proceeding with the protest. Basically they said the sr is there to take care of these...

I don't know about you but I'd guess you'd get shouted pretty heavily at any track days or racing events if did something like this (going across the track bacwards when there are cars coming at you, collecting few other cars in the process):
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=J6YqvCzcwRY&fmt=18

However, in iracing it seems to be just fine

I think that was called 'spinning out'. It happens. It's not as if he popped it in reverse is it?
Quote from Doorman :I think that was called 'spinning out'. It happens. It's not as if he popped it in reverse is it?

Spinning out was what happened at first. Then the car suddenly regains grip and shoots across the track. Imho that is extremely stupid thing to do. If he had put reverse on and accelerated 100% he would have probably gone across the track slower
Only going by that vid, i'd say, he couldn't have done much about it once he lost the back end.

I can understand why you'd be a bit miffed, but, to play the devils advocate, i suppose you can say perhaps you should have seen him spinning and eased off the gas. But that's an unfair statement without seeing any in-car footage or any telemetry.

If this was on "The Blame Game" i'd say, racing incident. Unfortunate, but no-ones fault, and nothing malicious. Be happy, it's nearly Christmas ...oh shit, it's nearly Christmas
Shit happens..
Quote from Hyperactive :Spinning out was what happened at first. Then the car suddenly regains grip and shoots across the track. Imho that is extremely stupid thing to do. If he had put reverse on and accelerated 100% he would have probably gone across the track slower

The netcode seems to make that one look worse than it might be from the perspective of the driver in question. In the video it looks like the car suddenly starts to slide to the right after already coming to a standstill, when in reality it was likely just a normal spin after a careless re-entry to the track.
No, the guy was simply careless/clueless. It's one thing to be stupid and try to re-enter the track that way, but it's a whole different level of idiocy to not immediately lock the brakes in a spin to prevent the car from taking an unpredictable route. Had he done that he'd just have made a pirouette on the outside of the track and would've probably been able to continue the race.

Now I don't think there should be punishment because it was clearly a newbie mistake, but some message to educate him on what he should do in such a situation would've been mandatory, IMO.
Unfortunately, for many, iracing is their first racing sim, so mistakes will be made in the rookie class and D as well. I feel so embarrassed any time i go off the track or spin out in iRacing.
Quote from Gabkicks : I feel so embarrassed any time i go off the track or spin out in iRacing.

Aye, i managed to throw it into a wall right in front of Dale jnr on Saturday night. I felt a right chump

Still, good to see him enjoying some pick up racing with the plebs. The Mazda's at Pheonix was bloody brilliant, and the quality of driving was pretty damn good for pick up racing. 24 hours just wasn't enough.

They need a full time Mazda Oval championship running imo.
Quote from The Moose :Aye, i managed to throw it into a wall right in front of Dale jnr on Saturday night. I felt a right chump

Still, good to see him enjoying some pick up racing with the plebs. The Mazda's at Pheonix was bloody brilliant, and the quality of driving was pretty damn good for pick up racing. 24 hours just wasn't enough.

They need a full time Mazda Oval championship running imo.

you have to jump on our vent sometime Moosey before you go iRacing. Would love to go do the skippy together sometime

At least you crashed in front of him and not IN TO him
Apparently in iracing the brakes slow the cars down even if you are sliding on your roof/side

Probably one of the few bits of the nascar2k3 physics code bits that was taken aboard in iracing...
Quote from Hyperactive :Probably one of the few bits of the nascar2k3 physics code bits that was taken aboard in iracing...

hm you should try what that swedish pirate site has to say about iracing
Quote from StableX :you have to jump on our vent sometime Moosey before you go iRacing. Would love to go do the skippy together sometime

At least you crashed in front of him and not IN TO him

Last week at Watkins (Radicals) I got this crazy jump on the lights from third and forced Dale Jr. wide going into T1 lap 1. He spun on the curb. Race over. Whatever! No contact, I got in there and took it. Wouldn't have dared if it was an official race, but the rest of the lap I couldn't help but smile knowing what I had just done and to whom I had done it...

Someone who joined but didn't race ended up taking a screen of it happening too..
resubscribed for 3 months and bought the radical.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :resubscribed for 3 months and bought the radical.

I'm hoping the week 13 will be using the radical again. Brilliant car!
It's hella fun at Summit Point.
Quote from Gabkicks :well, everyone already knew the C6-R was coming to iracing, and now there's an official announcement up on the news page. It looks like it'll be the gt1 version? Some time before June, they say...

"Virtual Version of Le Mans & ALMS-Winning C6.R Available in New Year"

That's kinda smartly written, reading only the title and not realizing it's also Le Mans winner, one might understand that also La Sarthe is coming... I already shit my pants but obviously it doesn't mean that. And finally rest of the story clears that up.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG