The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
I thought I'd paste this here, too:

Dale Earnhardt Jr. talks for 90 minutes with John Prather and Frosty StClair about iRacing and sim racing in general on the latest episode of the PSR Radio show The OpinionNation. Really cool in-depth discussion by three smart sim racing enthusiasts. The archived show can be streamed or downloaded from http://radio.psrtv.com/.
I love how Dale pronounces Greger Huttu (Greger Huddaeh) ;D

Seems like a good discussion going on between them anyway, although I haven't listened to all of it yet, and although I don't know him, Dale Jr seems like a very nice guy; also in the one rare race that I was in with him. The previous shows also seem to have some nice topics, so I might have to check those out as well, some day
Gets a bit long, though.. 90 minutes of interview is a lot. But I listened to some of it, and it was pretty interesting stuff. Especially when he compared the behaviour of the iRacing cars to their real-world counterparts. That is insight which few people can provide, and he sounded honest about it too
Quote from StableX :My answer to that is because this is actually trying to be like a SIM rather than what I call an arcade-sim.

Pfffffft!! Whats that smell?
Finally, I tried iRacing. Thought that, compared to other games, 20 Dollars for one month of gameplay is actually quite a good value, most games cost more than twice for half a day.

Now here's my verdict:
For me, iRacing feels like a mixture of LfS and the Simbin-Sims. Now that could be a good thing, but it isn't, because to me, it has the weak points of both, with not much things that it does better than any of the two fomer.

The driving physics, often described as superior in here, don't cut it for me. Now I've only driven the Solstice, as I haven't bought a single seater, but it drives very much like a non racing tin top in GTR-Evo: lot's of tyre squeal on almost every steering or breaking input, which makes finding the limit very hard, and it feels slippy and somehow detached from the road. Force Feedback is despite a resitance to turn the wheel, almost nonexistant, which doesn't help either.
Soundwise, it's also right between LfS and Simbin: it does sound nice, but the sounds are canned, much like Evo, but it lacks the spectrum. All you got is engine, gearwhine, wind and tyre squeal, much like LfS, but without the depth of information you get out of it.
The damage system almost looks exactly like LfS, allthough your tyres and suspension are very easily pushed away from their original positions, which, somehow doesn't affect the driving much, at least with the solstice.
The graphics look good, bit for some reason, even without limiter, i'm stuck at 30-40 fps when alone and 20 fps when more than two cars are visible, which makes racing quite a gamble in the first few corners. I can't find the graphic setting that would solve this problem.

Now I also don't think that iRacing is a LfS Killer. It wouldn't even be, if it did perfectly, for one single reason: because of it's pricing and system, it's aimed at experienced racers, it's definately no game somebody who isn't into sim racing would buy. So to me, it's rather a follow up for current simulations than a competitor, for people who long for the quite elaborated system behind iRacing and are not satisfied with what common on-line racing and leagues have to offer, rather than simply looking for better physics.

Personal Conclusion: SOme nice ideas, at the moment, I'd still rather stick to live for speed.
Quote from ColeusRattus :Finally, I tried iRacing. Thought that, compared to other games, 20 Dollars for one month of gameplay is actually quite a good value, most games cost more than twice for half a day.

Now here's my verdict:
For me, iRacing feels like a mixture of LfS and the Simbin-Sims. Now that could be a good thing, but it isn't, because to me, it has the weak points of both, with not much things that it does better than any of the two fomer.

The driving physics, often described as superior in here, don't cut it for me. Now I've only driven the Solstice, as I haven't bought a single seater, but it drives very much like a non racing tin top in GTR-Evo: lot's of tyre squeal on almost every steering or breaking input, which makes finding the limit very hard, and it feels slippy and somehow detached from the road. Force Feedback is despite a resitance to turn the wheel, almost nonexistant, which doesn't help either.
Soundwise, it's also right between LfS and Simbin: it does sound nice, but the sounds are canned, much like Evo, but it lacks the spectrum. All you got is engine, gearwhine, wind and tyre squeal, much like LfS, but without the depth of information you get out of it.
The damage system almost looks exactly like LfS, allthough your tyres and suspension are very easily pushed away from their original positions, which, somehow doesn't affect the driving much, at least with the solstice.
The graphics look good, bit for some reason, even without limiter, i'm stuck at 30-40 fps when alone and 20 fps when more than two cars are visible, which makes racing quite a gamble in the first few corners. I can't find the graphic setting that would solve this problem.

Now I also don't think that iRacing is a LfS Killer. It wouldn't even be, if it did perfectly, for one single reason: because of it's pricing and system, it's aimed at experienced racers, it's definately no game somebody who isn't into sim racing would buy. So to me, it's rather a follow up for current simulations than a competitor, for people who long for the quite elaborated system behind iRacing and are not satisfied with what common on-line racing and leagues have to offer, rather than simply looking for better physics.

Personal Conclusion: SOme nice ideas, at the moment, I'd still rather stick to live for speed.

Put your tin hat on, you're about to be bombed!
Quote from ColeusRattus :Now here's my verdict:

That was a nice balanced review, and many of the points are things that one must judge subjectively.

About the graphics, however: I've found that iRacing is pretty easy with the system requirements, and my old 6600 GT easily gives me solid v-synced 60 FPS at 1680 x 1050 with the settings toned down, and the game still looks very good. What kills the frame rate is usually the "more shadows" or "advanced shadows" settings, and I guess using too much memory on the memory slider could cause low FPS, too.

I have to say that for me the car physics of iRacing feel better than those of LFS, though not by a huge margin. What sets iRacing apart as far as realism goes, however, are the tracks, which feel very real.

The FFB in the Solstice is not a very good example of the feedback model of iRacing. The car has power steering, which makes it feel very muted compared to the other vehicles. You could try the Legends car on an oval or a road course, and I guarantee you'll see the difference. Otherwise there must be something wrong in your FFB settings.

I agree with you on some of your points in the last paragraph. iRacing is not an LFS killer, and neither is it designed to be, in my opinion. Apart from the pricing I still don't see why iRacing would only be suited for a more experienced racer.
What kind of wheel do you use and what are your ffb settings, Coleus?
Quote from Liff :That was a nice balanced review, and many of the points are things that one must judge subjectively.

About the graphics, however: I've found that iRacing is pretty easy with the system requirements, and my old 6600 GT easily gives me solid v-synced 60 FPS at 1680 x 1050 with the settings toned down, and the game still looks very good. What kills the frame rate is usually the "more shadows" or "advanced shadows" settings, and I guess using too much memory on the memory slider could cause low FPS, too.

I don't have a very fast computer, but I still got 100+ frames per second with everything maxxed out.

Quote from Liff :I have to say that for me the car physics of iRacing feel better than those of LFS, though not by a huge margin. What sets iRacing apart as far as realism goes, however, are the tracks, which feel very real.

I agree. The car feels a little more stable. However, certain cars feel like they're on rails. I can't judge for 100% though, as I have an early version iirc: 1.2.

Quote from Liff :The FFB in the Solstice is not a very good example of the feedback model of iRacing. The car has power steering, which makes it feel very muted compared to the other vehicles. You could try the Legends car on an oval or a road course, and I guarantee you'll see the difference. Otherwise there must be something wrong in your FFB settings.

Wouldn't trying a different car cost another €20? If I recall correctly, for the basic price you only get two cars.

Quote from Liff :I agree with you on some of your points in the last paragraph. iRacing is not an LFS killer, and neither is it designed to be, in my opinion. Apart from the pricing I still don't see why iRacing would only be suited for a more experienced racer.

I do. Two cars and seven tracks for €120/year is far too much for me, and while I'm not the fastest one around (lack of time people ) I still think that's not enough value for money.
Quote from hrtburnout :I agree. The car feels a little more stable. However, certain cars feel like they're on rails. I can't judge for 100% though, as I have an early version iirc: 1.2.

The Formula Mazda and the Radical feel quite a bit different now with the last big update. I wouldn't say that either of them feel like they're on rails, although the Radical with higher wing settings is still understeery.

Quote :Wouldn't trying a different car cost another €20? If I recall correctly, for the basic price you only get two cars.

You get both versions of the Solstice and both versions of the Legends car with the basic subscription.
Because the iRating system is quite harsh, and unless you are already a seasoned simmer, you'd rather jump directly into a race rather than practicing beforehand, which is very bad for your rating. Thus, I deem it more suitable for experienced drivers

Dang, oversaw a few posts.

I use the same FFB settings I use in LfS, so 900°, 111 FFB strength, centering spring 0.
Quote from ColeusRattus :I use the same FFB settings I use in LfS, so 900°, 111 FFB strength, centering spring 0.

I use 101% in the profiler and 14 in-game for the Solstice. It's light, but it does feel pretty good to me, considering that it's supposed to simulate power steering. I get a lot of feedback and the car feels very "weighty".

The skip barber, which does not have power steering, is totally different and feels also really good to me.

Well, not much I can say, really, if you're settings are fine and you don't like it. It's personal preference, I guess. For me personally the cars feel much more connected than in LFS. I don't know how much of that is due to the smooth tracks in LFS as opposed to laser scanned ones in iRacing or due to physics or ffb. The whole sensation just reminds me a lot more of driving a real car in iRacing.
Quote from Linsen :For me personally the cars feel much more connected than in LFS.

This basically sums it up for me as well. When I go back to LFS now I feel like the cars are floating. Not to any degree that would make me want to stop using LFS, but there's definitely a difference. You are much more connected with the road in iRacing... you can feel the weight of the car reacting to the surface.

On that note, Watkins Glen was just released and it...is...fantastic. Perhaps the best sim track I've ever driven.
i just took the plunge, doing the test sessions i was starting to not like it, Just had my first race and i think im hooked!. Gonna be sticking with it for now at least and see how i get on
If some yolly nice chap can hook me up with a aciount and a subcribtion for ect amount of months il try if not il skip it becaus,
this is way outside my comfort zone(price wise) that is.

Not even to menchion unafordable!!
There is still no demo released?

Iracing is just max €30 worth to pay. And not even monthly or every year just the whole stupid game.
Quote from Takumi_lfs :There is still no demo released?

Iracing is just max €30 worth to pay. And not even monthly or every year just the whole stupid game.

I dont know about how the sim feels and how it goes up there but the prices are rediculaous on any level of racing its just insane!!

LOL sended shadow a PM about teh cracksor lets see if he falls for it hihi
-
(Shadowww) DELETED by SamH : Inappropriate discussion
-
(Takumi_lfs) DELETED by SamH : Inappropriate discussion
When I found about iRacing while reading my car and driver magazine I had to check it out. I signed up and its $156.00 a year. I think it is well worth the money.... That is if you have that kind of money to throw around with this poor economy. The people who race online arent't inconsiderate a-holes like some of the people in LFS.
----------
The iracing.com simulation is far and away the most realistic driving simulation I've ever seen. This is definitely not a 'game'. The graphics are stunning, the tracks look virtually identical to the real thing, and the cars move and react in a way that will train you to be a better, smoother driver. I am addicted!
Just purchased a monthly membership of $20. I'm pretty sure I won't stay a member but I just wanted to give this sim a try and see if it's really as magnificent as people say.

I'll report back in a while.
For everybody who's interested and hasn't seen it through the iRacing forums, here's a little taste of what might make it into the next build or is at least heavily being worked on and on the horizon:

http://www.iracingworld.com/_A ... r6/BLOG/146773/57752.html

open practice servers, local yellows on RC's, replays, spotter and crew chief, the Daytona Prototype, the Chevy Impala SS...

Not all of those things will be in the next release, I suppose, but at least none of them seem to be very far off.
Quote from franky500 :i just took the plunge, doing the test sessions i was starting to not like it, Just had my first race and i think im hooked!. Gonna be sticking with it for now at least and see how i get on

How it`s going in iRacing so far Dean?
Tried the Skip Barber yet?
well, everyone already knew the C6-R was coming to iracing, and now there's an official announcement up on the news page. It looks like it'll be the gt1 version? Some time before June, they say... I wont have high enough of a license to race it... i think it's Class A? I will be class C by the time the car is released, i think since i am class D now. I'll still buy it, though
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG