The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
They did one like 2 months ago. I was not willing to rape the bank account at the time (even though I have the same money in my account now that I did then).
I've got the Mazda with my participation credits. So far I don't really like it. To drive this thing properly is completely different than the drivers in real life, if you watch onboard footage. The real car can be driven up on the wheel with lots of input. In the sim car if you try to correct the slide it just snaps. I've never seen a Star Mazda or Pro Formula Mazda car do that.

I mean, if you can correct the car in T1 at Sebring like this guy... I'll eat my socks. Final turn, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0O1Ex0axGo
MadCat: What monitor setup are you using? With a proper field of view small slides are MUCH easier to detect. Also, in a car like the Mazda things happen VERY quicky, and driving without seat-of-the-pants on an awkward screen setup is bound to fail. I'm amazed at the people who CAN hold the car on the road, seeing their setups. That is some serious conditioning right there.
i usually find the mazda pretty easy to catch slides in. as long as you react fairly quickly you can either get it back in line or hold a long slide, it's just the initial correction to stop it developing into a spin that's got to be done quickly
Quote from atledreier :MadCat: What monitor setup are you using? With a proper field of view small slides are MUCH easier to detect. Also, in a car like the Mazda things happen VERY quicky, and driving without seat-of-the-pants on an awkward screen setup is bound to fail. I'm amazed at the people who CAN hold the car on the road, seeing their setups. That is some serious conditioning right there.

I use a 16:10 monitor (22 inch) with I think an 85 field of view. Wide, I know, but I need to see passing cars.
From iRacing Facebook page:
Check out our new lower prices! A one month membership now costs $12.00 (instead of $14.00). A three month membership now costs $30.00 (instead of $36). You asked for a more affordable membership: We listened. See you on the track!
http://www.iracing.com/membership/
Make the 1 year cheaper! xD

It seems all they care about is enticing new customers rather than caring about keeping the existing ones.
yeah give us $60 for year subscription
They shouldn't have to fondle your balls to get you to stay. If you're happy with the service, you stay. Unhappy people leave. The last update was massive. If that isn't enough take a break and come back later. They aren't going to give it away for free...you will be less disappointed if your expectations weren't so ridiculous. I highly doubt they're getting rich off the membership.

That mazda video actually looked very similar to my experiences with it. I haven't raced it much since the last big updates to it, so it may be different now. Big gnarly drifts definitely are possible. In my experience you need to breathe the gas a little bit or you will go for a ride.
Quote from spanks :They shouldn't have to fondle your balls to get you to stay. If you're happy with the service, you stay. Unhappy people leave. The last update was massive. If that isn't enough take a break and come back later. They aren't going to give it away for free...you will be less disappointed if your expectations weren't so ridiculous. I highly doubt they're getting rich off the membership.

Who asked for it to be free? Who's expectations were ridiculous?
Ha! They've put the rev limiter back into the Lotus...
Quote from Gabkicks : yeah give us $60 for year subscription

they actually did that in June..... (sort of!). You buy the year and they gave you back $30 in iracing credit
no rev limiter ftw
Let me guess, too much whining on the forums?

"Its toooo hard!!! meh!!!!!!!!"
Bah, I loved racing against others blowing up their engines.. in other words no more "Poof!"
Bad call by iRacing. However it should be turned into a opportunity.

The rev limiter should be optional. Choose to use the rev limiter and sacrifice some power from the engine but safe in the knowledge of an engine that's not going to blow (unless you shift from 5th to 1st) Or chose to disable the rev limiter and use the full grunt of that engine, but run the risk of having a grey cloud follow you at some stage.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :

The rev limiter should be optional. Choose to use the rev limiter and sacrifice some power from the engine but safe in the knowledge of an engine that's not going to blow (unless you shift from 5th to 1st) Or chose to disable the rev limiter and use the full grunt of that engine, but run the risk of having a grey cloud follow you at some stage.

thank you staggie, i've got tired of posting that on iracing. having said that it appears after a practice session that no auto clutch / blip and H shifter is still the fastest way to go

personally i feel it's not a bad call as it's there on the real car, no matter if it makes it easier or not, iracing push the realism factor so it has to be there
Bah, really pathetic, almost nobody was driving it and still that majority of nobody (probably) gets enough voice to make iR staff to take a step back...

Also over 9000!
I heard they were introducing traction control for the FW31 when it comes out
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Bad call by iRacing. However it should be turned into a opportunity.

This would have been nice...if the limiter came in at 10,000 or something. It definitely makes strong power until 10,500 and noticeably less when you short shift.
Quote from boothy :I heard they were introducing traction control for the FW31 when it comes out

You should be glad that LFS Meet has already passed or you'd be dead when you got there.

I sure hope you are joking.
Weird love hate relation with daytona in the nationwide. Had a pretty rollercoaster week so far. Went up to 2.4x A class after promotions then an absolute spiral to 1.04 Sr.

So...I decided today I would race the daytona combo again.... LOL most intense session I've ever had in sim racing period. Had wrecks happening literally behind my bumper as if god was teasing me

So after literally getting collected in every single daytona and legends race. Today I turned it around and went from 1.04 to 1.7x

I can't imagine what will happen at watkins glen LOL. I'm actually surprised to see ppl there that are 10x more impatient than me. Once at a race I saw a guy try to pass on the apron. Ofc the entire field wrecked becase of that and that pretty much sums up my experiences at daytona in the imp b
wow the vette is a blast, i can just slam the gas pedal to the floor and just powerslide out of the corner
Site down, again. 'emergency maintenance' this time.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG