The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from anttt69 :If i remember correctly iRacing barriers are far from perfect & if you hit the wrong spot at Barber, the track will launch you into outerspace.
Both sims are work in progress.

Even better are the walls in iRacing where you hit them and immediately get stuck in them and don't even have the option of driving away.
just had a good fight, but a bad race overall, because my shifter became unplugged a little over halfway through with the SRF and laguna seca I thought i'd miss shifted so i kept trying until i realized it was the shifter and fell all the way back to 5th from 1st place. won the next race, though
I like the new changes, I'm just still utterly crap with them.
It's alright Wilko, even Greger Huttu caused a massive pile-up because he got stuck in neutral at the start!
lol at least we know he is human, does SR count in these races?
Quote from count.bazley :It's alright Wilko, even Greger Huttu caused a massive pile-up because he got stuck in neutral at the start!

That's a little comforting.

I read through all the patch notes yesterday and my head imploded and exploded at the same time. The amount of detail they went into to explain the new transmissions was insane. I have no idea what's changed! But, I only really drive the VW, Solstice and Skippy so maybe things aren't so different on that front.
Quote from Mp3 Astra :

I read through all the patch notes yesterday and my head imploded and exploded at the same time. The amount of detail they went into to explain the new transmissions was insane. I have no idea what's changed! But, I only really drive the VW, Solstice and Skippy so maybe things aren't so different on that front.

The Lotus 79 is extremely temperamental. Over rev it and it will blow, flat shift and it will blow in fact you have to work pretty hard to not to blow the engine. It’s so much fun but I’m having to work hard to change my style to suit it.
Yeah, I think I might purposefully spectate the first Lotus race next week just to see how many drivers blow up the engine before the lights turn green. :eclipsee_
The Lotus is superb now, and I have no idea how so many people are blowing engines.

Did 40 laps at Mid Ohio yesterday. Blew my engine once, first time leaving the pits. After that I didn't miss a gear or blow my engine once.

Turn off auto cluch/auto blip, lift and shift at 11,000rpm, blip on downshifts. Simple.

Love the transmission model. Love the fact that so many previously fast guys are having problems with it as well
I really like the new transmissions... I got the downshifts without clutch down pretty much straight away, but the synchroed cars take soooo long to engage the higher gear without a clutch...

Once wear and damage is implemented (from the different crunching sounds I heard that shouldn't be that hard to implement), it'll make for great (strategic) racing...

Only thing I'm missing: currently the gearbox sounds are cockpit-only... We all heard crunching gears sometime in our life on the road - we know that's quite loud... In addition, I know from personal experience that the gearboxes on race cars are very loud - so loud in fact that you can hear a shift over the engine sound at the stands...
Quote from The Moose :The Lotus is superb now, and I have no idea how so many people are blowing engines.

Did 40 laps at Mid Ohio yesterday. Blew my engine once, first time leaving the pits. After that I didn't miss a gear or blow my engine once.

Turn off auto cluch/auto blip, lift and shift at 11,000rpm, blip on downshifts. Simple.

Love the transmission model. Love the fact that so many previously fast guys are having problems with it as well

LOL.... yeah, the Lotus is SO much better now. I wonder how many people wouldn't have finished that Silverstone race with a blown engine :0
Quote from spanks :Full release notes posted, haven't read them yet. A lot added it looks like.

To paraphrase the notes on the transmission...."do it realistically."
How can I add people to the myracers friend list? It was easy before the update, but I can't see through this new system. The mouse-over version worked fine before the update, but now I have no idea.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :How can I add people to the myracers friend list? It was easy before the update, but I can't see through this new system. The mouse-over version worked fine before the update, but now I have no idea.

You still mouse over the driver's helmet and click 'add friend'.
Attached images
roland.JPG
Quote from Mp3 Astra :You still mouse over the driver's helmet and click 'add friend'.

Ahhh, the helmet, not the name. Thanks!
Quote from The Moose :The Lotus is superb now, and I have no idea how so many people are blowing engines.

Just fyi, the guy that coded the Lotus (Eric Hudec) said the power runs out at about 10,500. But yeah, much over 11k and it will "explodify" itself...

At any rate, yeah, this car is great with the new trans model.
Quote from titanLS :Just fyi, the guy that coded the Lotus (Eric Hudec) said the power runs out at about 10,500.

Aha, thanks for the info. I was never sure about this car. 11,000 just felt right for shifting, and still does, though I might try a little earlier now and see if I gain a few 10ths.
Anyone else having their H-shifter configured to dog-leg layout for the Lotus?

May take some getting used to but I love it.
it seems like all of my miss shifts are from 2nd to 3rd gear, so dog would prlly help. i dont think i will bother though.

the spectator mode is pretty cool. you dont have to switch from drive to drive manually, you can select "most exciting" or leader or incident, and it will switch automatically.
Quote from titanLS :Just fyi, the guy that coded the Lotus (Eric Hudec) said the power runs out at about 10,500. But yeah, much over 11k and it will "explodify" itself...

At any rate, yeah, this car is great with the new trans model.

Grant Reeve said 10.5 for shifts and anything over 11.2 risks blowing the engine.

I like doing sessions with Grant. He is always willing to chat
yeah i'm loving the whole new transmission model and especially the lotus, just wish they hadn't took away the limiter as it's not very realistic. i know why they've done it, to stop people flat shifting, and i'm all for it, but a better solution would have been to make the limiter switchable and set at a lower rpm than the safe max, that way people would have had the choice between max engine performance and safe engine.

actually what really peeves me is when i posted about how the real one did have a limiter, a member of the staff posted that they thought it hadn't and weren't able to look for "obscure" information off the net, maybe they should have bothered to ask divina, read mario's autobiography or even just asked the owner of the car they scanned, after all they did put the rev limiter switch in the cockpit model !!!
After speaking and hearing from a number of people I really want to try the Lotus 79, but would it be best to wait for the next season to buy the content for it?

Will the track schedule be the same?
Quote from adamlfs :After speaking and hearing from a number of people I really want to try the Lotus 79, but would it be best to wait for the next season to buy the content for it?

Many of the track schedules seem to have settled, so it's usually only a track or two that get switched around when something new is released. You're probably safe buying most of the tracks now.
Quote from adamlfs :After speaking and hearing from a number of people I really want to try the Lotus 79, but would it be best to wait for the next season to buy the content for it?

if you go to the top list in the iRacing forums (announcements): look there for season 3 schedule. You'll see what te full calender will be starting next week.
I'm amazed no-one has brought up the fact there is video footage of the the Williams F1 car in the latest episode of iRacing TV...

I'm also mentioned in the Road America race from around 38 minutes in :O
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG