The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
iRacing has great details in the graphics, I think the color/saturation ruins the look right now though. They said they're working on it, I'm looking forward to see what it looks like after they tweak some things in that area. I think with a couple minor changes it would look amazing.
Quote from Jertje :The graphics themselves aren't amazing, but the details more than make up for it indeed - particularly the car models. The first time I chased another Skippy up close and saw its suspension handle all the bumps and kerbs I damn near creamed myself.

Heh, watching the rear suspension view on the skippy with 3D Vision is incredible
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Heh, watching the rear suspension view on the skippy with 3D Vision is incredible

3D vision? where can i find that?!
As soon as I graduate and get a job...
I still can't get much feeling from the FFB =/ Not sure what else to do.
Sucks, I don't know what else to suggest unfortunately, feels great to me.
Just got my first win at Laguna in the Solstice. Took me 32 starts to get it... first pole too. 2nd was glued to my ass the whole race, and rear-ended me in the last corner, but I held it barely and won by half a second.
skippy suspension is real nice, there's a nice slow mo vid on you tube that has the skippy in it and you can see the spring coils compressing

found it, check out the suspension at 4:00

oh and the real lenses on the radical at 1:15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI9dUeNpBV0
Quote from MadCat360 :Just got my first win at Laguna in the Solstice. Took me 32 starts to get it... first pole too. 2nd was glued to my ass the whole race, and rear-ended me in the last corner, but I held it barely and won by half a second.

that sounds like a hectic race. Well done mate, especially on Laguna! Makes the win even more sweet!!!!
Grant Reeve posted a nice explanation on the throttle response changes:
http://members.iracing.com/ifo ... amp;start=50&tstart=0
Quote :The old throttle response curve was a simple y = x^2, which was done like a million billion years ago, way before I ever arrived at Papyrus in 98 and no one has ever thought to go back and look at it. We would know for all those cars we've modelled for the last 15-20 years what the full throttle dyno curve looks like, and what the off throttle engine braking looks like, but how the engine responds in between those two extremes I guess was never realized to be quite an important driving characteristic.

I believe the original logic was that y=x^2 approximates the shape of a 1-cosine curve from 0 to 90 degrees which was supposed to vaguely model the opening of the butterfly valve in the throttle body (but in my mind I'd expect that the butterfly valve opening would be better modelled with a sine curve than 1-cosine, and that would have been a far better match to the actual response)

The new throttle response curves are based on several sets of real vehicle data. One of the cars we model even has dyno information for full rpm pulls at every 10% of throttle position. By comparing how the engine power at any given rpm varies with throttle application I came up with an approximating function that sort of looks like the average of all the data we have.

At very small throttle openings, the airflow is pretty much choked to a fixed amount, so regardless of engine rpm it's only getting a fixed amount of air to burn for power output. Thus the initial (first 10-15% or so) throttle response regardless of rpm is kind of proportional to power output.

But at full throttle, the power output is limited by how much air the engine can pump. At low rpms the engine can't flow much air so it very quickly saturates it's power output, which is why at low rpm you feel like you're getting 80-90% of engine power by 40-50% of throttle, and the rest of the throttle travel feels very unresponsive. But at high rpm the motor can pump a whole lot of air, so the power output keeps increasing the further you get into the throttle.

Eventually you start running into limitations of how much air the throttle body can flow when wide open, and into limitations of the engine's volumetric efficiency at pumping air at very high rpm, which causes the throttle response to still flatten off as you get towards 80-90% even at max rpm.

It's quite likely that every engine in existance has subtley difference throttle response based on various build characteristics, but we're just giving them all the same response curve for now based on what their rev limit is.

First time I tried the new curves - like most of you guys have noticed - it immediately felt incredibly more natural - even the Spec Racer (which I like to call a Death Trap) was suddenly a whole lot more controllable and drivable. So, yeah, it does seem that it's pretty important to model what happens in between 0% and 100%

Quote from StableX :that sounds like a hectic race. Well done mate, especially on Laguna! Makes the win even more sweet!!!!

Thanks.

I've been doing a couple Legends races... holy crap, those things are crazy. Seems like every race either I get taken out, or I take someone out on accident, and that combined with guys that don't know how to get lapped it seems like the whole race is hardly controlled chaos.
One little update and oval racing just got a whole lot more exciting on Dallara.
With the aero-changes, car handles very differently in different kinds of traffic and you can't just grab setup from forums and drive to finish. This also means that races have bit too many cautions right now, it probably gets better once drivers adapt to the changes and learn how to use in-car tools to make adjustments on the fly. Nevertheless, it makes racing much more dynamic and fun, at least for me.

But it's not all good, two races, two laps completed. It's always a bad sign when driver starting infront of you asks how much fuel you need and sure enough, we're barely into T1 and his car starts wiggling left and right, before going sideways and taking out a whole bunch of cars.
Skip Barber race Brands Hatch Grand Prix tuesday 26/1-2010
Skip Barber race Brands Hatch Grand Prix tuesday 26/1-2010 at 20.45 CET

All times are Central European Times. This is a fun race, you must be VERY clean and fair when racing.
Car:
Skip Barber
Track:
Brands Hatch Grand Prix
Laps:
Date:
Tuesday 26/1-2010.
Time:
Qualifying at 20.45 (30 minutes)
Race at 21.15

Server name:
www.iracingdanmark.dk

You must login via www.iracingdanmark.dk and then visiting this link
http://www.iracingdanmark.dk/showthread.php?t=306
Write your iRacing name in the thread and you will get a password in a PM on raceday.

2 Fast Tows is allowed
Full course cautions - off
Starting type - standing
Max. racers - 30

Server donation:
Frank Sonne

The server will open at 19.30 for practise, but it`s ok to skip that and just do Qualifying.

Startlist so far:
Kim Vedel Østerby
Guido Muddeman
Kim Christiansen
Frank Sonne
Jimmy Larsen
Richard Torp Jensen
Timothy Hopper
Simon Hulbert
Martin Dyrlund
David Scott2
John Borgbjerg
Henrik Nielsen
I will host Daytona Prototype race on Watkins Boot Classic on Thursday.

Start of practice will be 20:00 CET and will last (only) 90 minutes (so we are not racing to eternity), followed by 15 minute Q and 20 laps long race with one fast tow.

Session will be public, so feel free to invite your friends.

Hope to see you there.
Startlist on tuesday evening:

Kim Vedel Østerby
Guido Muddeman
Kim Christiansen
Frank Sonne
Jimmy Larsen
Richard Torp Jensen
Timothy Hopper
Simon Hulbert
Martin Dyrlund
David Scott2
John Borgbjerg
Henrik Nielsen
Ralf Soebbe
Jan Sikula
Verner Blindheim
Down for maintenance
Just a website update, supposed to be around 25 minutes if you didn't see the note before it went down.
Didn't see it I clicked to join a session and it was down before I could join lol.
Well, this week 13 business is not really going over well with me. I don't really like it. Why are we still running the exact same configurations in the rookie cars? Why isn't the Solstice being put on Summit Point or Charlotte? Why isn't the Legends getting a turn on the road courses? Mix it up a little, it's fun week!

I also think 13th week would be a great opportunity to get the basic content guys (IE, me) wanting to pay for new content by allowing us to test out a new track/car combo. The 2.4 hours of Daytona would be a prime example of a DP test drive. Get us hooked on the car with some real competition, and we'll be more likely to buy it.
Quote from MadCat360 :I also think 13th week would be a great opportunity to get the basic content guys (IE, me) wanting to pay for new content by allowing us to test out a new track/car combo. The 2.4 hours of Daytona would be a prime example of a DP test drive. Get us hooked on the car with some real competition, and we'll be more likely to buy it.

Sadly, that's their exact thought. This week they have given anyone, irrespective of license to be able to take part in the A licensed DP race at Daytona and week long practice. Alas, it's not a test drive and people have to buy the content. I do say though, it's bloody good fun!
Any LFS-ers taking part in the Rolex 2.4 Hours of Daytona tomorrow besides myself, StableX and DaveWS? I would imagine there may be 200+ drivers entering the race with 40 cars per field, it could turn out to provide some great racing throughout all the grids.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG