The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote :
- Chassis inertia in all 3 axes (roll, pitch, yaw) has been adjusted to match the numbers supplied by the Manufacturer. Very small changes were made to the wheel inertias, again due to additional data from the manufacturer. Engine inertia and the driveline inertias have been modified to more closely match real world behavior.

Corvette C6R

- Chassis inertia in all 3 axes (roll, pitch, yaw) has been adjusted slightly. Rear wheel inertia and engine, clutch and driveline inertias are subtly massaged based on new data.

- Aero forces from body roll are improved.

- Brake bias in car adjustment is now limited to +/- 3%

- A small tweak to the updated tire model on this car has been made that gives more grip loss when sliding at high speed.

Star Mazda

- Chassis inertia in all 3 axes (roll, pitch, yaw) has been adjusted. Engine inertia adjusted to reflect new driveline engineering data.

- A small tweak to the updated tire model on this car has been made that gives more grip loss when sliding at high speed.

Radical SR8

- Chassis inertia in all 3 axes (roll, pitch, yaw) has been adjusted per real-world driver feedback.

Interesting! Looking forward to DaveWS' take on the inertia changes. Less snappiness, more weighty feel perhaps....???

Also, I wonder how the aliens will respond to the brake bias adjustments in the Corvette.
ooh thats quite a substantial change in a few areas even without the transmission etc, love the fact that aero and engine breathing takes into account track altitude, shows nicely what levels of detail they're working up to (be interesting with mixed racing in the future with turbo's and norm aspirated cars being affected differently by altitude). also like how aero forces from body roll are being improved, presumably that'll give a bigger downside to running very soft springs.

the bump stop thing is interesting, presumably it'll close down one area of unrealistic setups with spring rates and runing on the stops from medium speeds upwards (unless of course they're fixed at the other end and we run on them all the time but i can't see that). and yes the brakes may sort out the alien setups / driving style on the corvette but they'll still be faster simply because they are. (edit: i suspect the changes to increase grip loss when sliding at high speed may hamper the aliens more)
Quote :- Drafting now actually reduces your car's downforce, not just drag.

this balances it out & makes them look amateurish though.
imagine the difference this will make for certain classes of oval racing.
I hope the inertia changes are for the better.
Quote from Gnomie :Interesting! Looking forward to DaveWS' take on the inertia changes. Less snappiness, more weighty feel perhaps....???

Also, I wonder how the aliens will respond to the brake bias adjustments in the Corvette.

Yeah, I'm really excited about trying the new build now! :P Sounds promising.
IMO the grip loss on the new tyre model seemed too much already, but they now increase it? Besides, what has speed got to do with it? Surely that loss would be more of an aerodynamic loss than a tyre grip one...

Anyway, I'll postpone judgement until I've tried the new build...
Hopefully you can actually pass people on road courses while drafting now...

It sucks how it is now.
What's all this stuff about cameras? As far as I can remember, I can't recall any camera controls in game other than the basic NASCAR 2003 controls.
Quote from Mp3 Astra :What's all this stuff about cameras? As far as I can remember, I can't recall any camera controls in game other than the basic NASCAR 2003 controls.

Press Ctrl+F12 when you're in the replay/viewing mode and edit away to your heart's content.

I'm pretty happy with the scope of this new build, every 3 months is a solid push in the right direction for iRacing.
Thanks for the info, James. I love camera controls!
Quote from anttt69 :this balances it out & makes them look amateurish though.

the inertia values of the radical based on driver inputs is even more worrying
and this isnt even a car that will give you a hard time collecting the data
Quote from count.bazley :I'm pretty happy with the scope of this new build, every 3 months is a solid push in the right direction for iRacing.

every 3 months is a push in the wrong direction for LFS...until they come out with the new track and car, and physics model
Quote from blakehoo88 :every 3 months is a push in the wrong direction for LFS...until they come out with the new track and car, and physics model

and hopefully remodelled track surfaces for the current tracks to fit with the laser scanned Rockingham..... would be cool Can't see it happening but would be great
anyonne tryed the custom skin thing yet ?
Quote from mblixt :anyonne tryed the custom skin thing yet ?

I decided I wasn't going to bother. Seems a waste of time really, just like nkp and others. If nobody is going to be able to see it, what's the point!
Quote from StableX :I decided I wasn't going to bother. Seems a waste of time really, just like nkp and others. If nobody is going to be able to see it, what's the point!

Agree, I think it should be limited to hosted racing only, I could see it being useful for leagues where you can download the whole set of skins at once. I see no point for it in the normal series, I'm not going to go searching for people's skins to download, just in case I happen to race them.
Quote from UncleBenny :Agree, I think it should be limited to hosted racing only, I could see it being useful for leagues where you can download the whole set of skins at once. I see no point for it in the normal series, I'm not going to go searching for people's skins to download, just in case I happen to race them.

yup... some areas of LFS are just more superior than others... LFS World and skins are two
I can see why iRacing doesn't want to host the skins though, copyrights and stuff. I'm hoping someone comes up with some kind of auto-download system at some point.
agreed , i guess we're lucky that with LFS being uk based they're far less likely to be dragged into court over hosting a copyrighted logo etc in a skin database than a US company is. plus of course the fact that iracing's race servers are hosted by them rather than third parties just adds to the potential liability.

throttle change is nice, dallara feels better now, you can notice the change in engine braking and the turn in is better. bump stops are nice to as you can tell there's actual suspension there now.

re inertia changes, the trouble with so much of a cars feel is it's subjective and it's very hard to quantify exactly how a cars inertia affects its handling, even with measurement you have the problem of ensuring the control input, track grip, speed, wind speed and direction etc etc are all exactly the same every time you measure it and then you have to measure at different fuel loads etc
Finally got iRacing account all set up with the Radical promo code I obtained some months ago. I was having an issue initially with my G25 vibrating wildly for a couple seconds at a time, but that seems to have stopped now. I'm finding major problems in the force-feedback, though.. Steering feels slow, and I'm getting no feeling in the wheel - just the bumps, nothing else. iRacing has no FFB settings in-game, so I don't know what to do?

In the profiler, Effects are at 100% And everything else is off (0%) as per the FAQ on the iR website. What next?
Quote from MAGGOT :Finally got iRacing account all set up with the Radical promo code I obtained some months ago. I was having an issue initially with my G25 vibrating wildly for a couple seconds at a time, but that seems to have stopped now. I'm finding major problems in the force-feedback, though.. Steering feels slow, and I'm getting no feeling in the wheel - just the bumps, nothing else. iRacing has no FFB settings in-game, so I don't know what to do?

In the profiler, Effects are at 100% And everything else is off (0%) as per the FAQ on the iR website. What next?

I had the same problem at first. In the profiler try setting effects a little higher(try like 105%) and in-game turn the FFB down a little in the options(I run mine at 8 I believe). When I did this everything felt much better to me. There was an explanation on the forum at some point explaining why this worked, but I doubt I'd be able to find it.
Thanks Ben, I'll give that a shot tonight. I can see the promise in this one, though I am still disappointed by the graphics. It looks so stale
funny i felt the same but over time i've grown to appreciate them more and now a lot of other sims / games look cartoonish by comparison. think a lot of it comes down to just exactly what detail you have on and what the colour balance on your graphics card / monitor is
Quote from tinvek :funny i felt the same but over time i've grown to appreciate them more and now a lot of other sims / games look cartoonish by comparison. think a lot of it comes down to just exactly what detail you have on and what the colour balance on your graphics card / monitor is

Indeed, I don't find a ton of difference between LFS and iRacing graphic wise other than the fact that iRacing is A LOT more detailed. So much so that LFS looks very amateur these days in comparison. The colors are very similar overall for now though.
The graphics themselves aren't amazing, but the details more than make up for it indeed - particularly the car models. The first time I chased another Skippy up close and saw its suspension handle all the bumps and kerbs I damn near creamed myself.
Interesting. The retooled dyno stuff and the altitude changes gave the Solstice another 2 seconds per lap around Laguna. Used to run high 1:49s now I'm down to 1:47.9. Carrying more speed on straights and shifting sooner - can't ride the 3rd rev limit into 6 any more.

The new throttle map is sex, too. Feels and responds great even with my cruddy microsoft pedals.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG