The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
a lot of which is completely sanitized
most likely you wont find this in any korean restaurant anywhere in the west
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiJkdOZEjXU
and my ethiopean work colleague always tends to point out how little chili the ethiopian restaurants use here
Well of course it's usually more authentic in the country of origin, but you'd probably be surprised how good food can be over here.
Anyone here tried the Intel GT series. Fixed LMP@Spa

I managed a 2.05.0, but I think I can do a 04. There are guys doing low 2.03s, so the fast guys will defo be in the 02s
(hopefully they dont reach into 01s)
Loving the MX-5 Roadster and Cup. I've been doing some 'ghost' racing at Okayama Short (Cup) but probably won't participate in any proper races until I can get my laptimes into the 1:02s... my best time there is a 1:03:0 something.

Any of you guys using Stephane Turpin's Motion Cockpit view? Thoughts?

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/22806.page

Any advice for the iracing noob?
Quote from Electrik Kar :

Wouldn't be bothered about laptime when you start out, you will need to just drive clean races for SR to rank up because even if you are the fastest guy in the rookie series, you can get wrecked alot and then you'll never get ranked up but if you do a race just watch other drivers, first few races you'll be slow anyway dodging some of the insane rookie drivers.

In the rookie series just be vary wary, alot of them think Schumacher and Senna style moves are acceptable but if you keep your nose clean then you'll get to D class very quickly, and from then on you are pretty much plain sailing.

I would dive straight into racing if you can turn 1.03s and stay on the track you'll probably be top 5 if not winning races in the starting splits. Always do a qualifying session first, even if it's a very slow lap, it will put you ahead of those who can't drive.

If you haven't worked it out yet iRacing has two ratings:

iRating - based solely on finishing positions

Safety rating - you gain it by keeping clean and loose it by having incidents.

Incidents that affect the safety rating are:
x0 - For light contact with another car (you'll only normally get this if the contact is very light, more common on oval). If the other car picks up an incident point immediately after the contact your x0 gets upgraded to whatever they get (ie. if they spin you get x2, if another car collects them you get x4).
x0 - For light contact with the wall - I've only ever had this on the ovals.
x1 - Off track - Some kerbs/tarmac run off triggers this.
x2 - Loss of control - If you bring the car to a controlled stop after a half spin you often don't trigger this.
x2 - Hard contact with a wall.
x4 - Contact with another car.

The safety rating does not aside blame for the incident it just penalises everybody involved. I personally think it's a brilliant, if occasionally frustrating, system. The main things to remember if you're wanting to gain SR is to avoid contact with other cars at all costs, even if it means spinning out and it is better to go off track than to loose control of the car trying to stay on track. In effect the SR system causes sim racers to drive in a realistic manner rather than just hopelessly trying to charge through a wreck.

The fact there are no restarts and the next race is a least an hour away (more for non-rookie series) does drive home the message somewhat.

Regardless of all this it is only natural you are going to crash or be crashed and in the rookie series your car gets repaired quickly in the pits, it is best to keep racing if you can because the safety rating is based on the number of incidents/laps done. As a rookie even if you have contact on the first lap you may still gain SR if you finish the race but you'll loose it if you retire on lap 1.

The grids for popular series (rookie series split 24/7) are split based on your iRating, as a rookie you don't actually see your iRating but it must be there under the covers. What you'll find is that having a few clean races where you get reasonable finishing positions will move you up a split or two and you'll soon be racing with people who run about the same times as you and aren't quite so out of control.

Qualify.

It puts you ahead of all those who don't bother with it, and can keep you out of the inevitable T1 pile up.

In multiclass, if you don't qualify in a faster class, you get gridded behind those slower class cars who did qualify. It can make for an interesting first coupleo f laps to say the least.
Also, watch out for blinking cars, if you go into the their ghost you can get a x4 incident for it. Blinking cars just steer clear of them (but this advice is good for any racing game).
Electrik Kar, are you running Limerock as well? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up racing each other.
Thanks for all the input guys
Quote from Rappa Z :Electrik Kar, are you running Limerock as well? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up racing each other.

Haven't done many laps at Lime Rock yet. What's a decent rookie time there for the MX's?
Quote from Electrik Kar :Haven't done many laps at Lime Rock yet. What's a decent rookie time there for the MX's?

Used to be 59 seconds, but I'd say with the new tyre model a 1minute lap is a decent time.
Quote from BlueFlame :Used to be 59 seconds, but I'd say with the new tyre model a 1minute lap is a decent time.

Challenge accepted...
I've only seen 1 guy go a 59 yet but I'm sure by the end of the week everyone will be down there. Best on the NTM right now is a 1:00.2.

edit: Just won the top split with an average of 1:00.7 and still ad a ten second lead.
After lap 13 I got a 1:00:7, which is pretty good I'd say (are we talking the roadster or cup? This was in the roadster). I'll try and keep consistent laps for awhile and then try my luck online. For now I'll probably do some more ghost racing as I have very little experience with online racing actually, and this should help to get my confidence up.

Might see you soon!

edit: 1:00.379
That's the OTM you twat
Quote from boothy :That's the OTM you twat

The NTM is on MX5 now...? Shows how much I pay attention

Be nice, I took the pic of your avatar for you.
For Okyama I found this video has helpful commentary. It's the old tyre model so pretend it's a different car to the one you're driving and see how to use the track here. Personally I found it very difficult to find my feet at this track, the correct line is not immediately obvious like at Lime Rock.
Is there a LFSers iRacing league or something? I really hate that I have to wait a lot for sessions and stuff
Quote from chanoman315 :Is there a LFSers iRacing league or something? I really hate that I have to wait a lot for sessions and stuff

What series are you running? If it's just rookie then you have 3 cars you can be racing/qualifying/practicing to keep you busy...

And in fact this week you can do the Grand Touring Cup at Summit Point.
Quote from chanoman315 :Is there a LFSers iRacing league or something? I really hate that I have to wait a lot for sessions and stuff

Some of us thought about doing some form of weekly hosted event, and making the LFS guys the target audience obviously.

First the idea was just a hosted race once a week. Would cost $1. Not too bad.

Then Tournaments came out, and thought about possibly BTCC style events with MX5 Cup, Solstice, and Jetta. It would cost about $3 a week.

However, we seemed to have forgot about it.
Attached images
iR_BTCC_Test_Tourny.png
pfft, Im up for any lfs League as long as its not Ovals.
I'm up for anything aslong as I'm not driving the SRF or Skippy
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG