The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
OT/LoL?/ cars feel so much more "planted" in 2.0

I've caught some amazing slides where the car was crossed up big time bouncing outta shape where as before I would have lost it for sure. Good fun.
Productive week in week 13 of all times :S Seeing as it was the only time ive had to actually sit down and play. Ive learnt alot moved up and enjoy it Bring on the next season.

The only thing i dont like is that some drivers just hog up the road like its there god given right....i hope that improves in higher classes.
Also what happens to SR in a new season?
Quote from funRacer[83] :that is not an excuse for the broken sr..

I was once at 1800 iRaitings and a high 3.9 D class. After a few days of week 13 i dropped to 900 iR and a 2.1 D class (no joke just as Oscar). I decided that i should probably stop trying to over drive everything at every corner and soon enough, after 2 days I'm 3.2 D and 1500 iR again.

The system isn't broken. It just isn't always fair. But it does balance itself out in the long run. If you are a consistent enough driver, a few incidents that aren't your fault won't really hurt you in the long run

Quote from funRacer[83] :nah it´s not SR it´s just the business model where you feel ****ed over every time you buy some shit from the game and lack of interest in the game.. Buy Cars and tracks I don´t want just to level up? Pretty shitty lol.

It does suck that iRacing costs so much. I'd rather see a monthly fee + $60 for either license and $120 for both. But that's just my own fantasy.

Quote from funRacer[83] :Just get rid of the sr let the people race what ever car and track they want use the irating, qualification or what ever to decide who is racing against who.. No problem with that..

Except that defeats the purpose of an organized licensed system?... Also a person with a high iRaiting doesn't = safe driver A lot of the fast guys are really scary to race with sometimes.

Quote from funRacer[83] :

I kinda like to not post my personal informations on the internet. I know it may sound crazy to you but I also don´t put nude pictures of me on the internet.

Right... because giving us your iRacing (presumably real) name is the same as posting naked pictures of yourself... :rolleyes:
Quote from JasonJ :OT/LoL?/ cars feel so much more "planted" in 2.0

Are you a 2.0 beta tester or something?

Quote from Sueycide_FD :Basically what i want to find out is that if your driving along merely into turn 1, and someone rams you, spins you or in general screws you over, would YOU lose points or a rating thing? Sure it's a neat system, but it just doesn't seem all too smart considering that's how maybe 75% of crashes happen when a driver collides or forces a mistake on another.

Just want to find this out before i remotely give it a look when the update comes. I've raged too many times on insim servers where I've gotten wrecked and my rating goes down.

It's different to LFS' systems which use yellow flags. You get incident points which you collect in official sessions - 1x for off-track, 2x for loss of control, 4x for car contact - which are used to determine a corners per incident number over your last 2600 corners IIRC. Each licence level has a CPI number (rookie will be more lenient than Class A) and your SR will go up/down according to where you are in relation to that. As you can see, sure, your SR may go down a little bit (biggest drop I've had was about 0.30 or something for 20+ inc in a race) but if you keep driving safely you can gain back lost SR easily.
I know what you mean Jason, even though 2.0 isn't out until August. Basically, through an absolute fluke the sim has been improved massively by accident. They were developing new telemetry, which started showing odd results, so they slightly re-worked the laser scan data, which gave us fantastic feeling road cars and a high line on the ovals!
meh, I meant new surface interaction physics in the latest release v2011.04.26.02
I have one promo code 3 months for $10. If anybody is interested pm me. Expires 15.5.2011

The code is for resubscribing.
Quote from Alien_CZ :I have one promo code 3 months for $10. If anybody is interested pm me. Expires 15.5.2011

Is that for already subscribed people? Then i'd take it, unless its not Account-bount.
Only if you let your account lapse. My account runs out today, so I'm going to wait until it cuts out and then try and use a similar code that I got through.
if anyone has another one of those codes lying around, I'll take it
Mine is still available, for resubscribing only.
Chrisuu01 was first grats.
damn missed it
Quote from DeKo :I know what you mean Jason, even though 2.0 isn't out until August. Basically, through an absolute fluke the sim has been improved massively by accident. They were developing new telemetry, which started showing odd results, so they slightly re-worked the laser scan data, which gave us fantastic feeling road cars and a high line on the ovals!

Wait...so you're saying that they found a major bug in the way tracks were created from the laser data, and fixing that issue has caused a major change in the vehicle handling for the better?

That sounds exciting if I'm understanding this correctly.
Well I let my subscription run out in week 13, tried the code that was sent to my old account and it didn't work :|

Still got a code one for a new account if anyone wants it...
They are about as believable as the US Gov't.
Quote from DeKo :They were developing new telemetry, which started showing odd results, so they slightly re-worked the laser scan data, which gave us fantastic feeling road cars and a high line on the ovals!

Does the high line really work now? If so that's amazing.
Quote from Jrod :Wait...so you're saying that they found a major bug in the way tracks were created from the laser data, and fixing that issue has caused a major change in the vehicle handling for the better?

Apart from merging the pointclouds together I can't see how you could mess that up... My theory is that like the issue with the wheelie-ing cars the tyres clipped into the ground at bigger bumps so the force the sim applies to put them right is exaggerated...

I drove the Radical at Sebring - haven't driven it for a bit longer so I can't say for sure if it's this particular update, but in 1.5 hours I had not a single instance of the suspension oscillating more and more until the car was out of control... It still bounced alright, but the car always returned to a stable position...
Quote from bbman :Apart from merging the pointclouds together I can't see how you could mess that up... My theory is that like the issue with the wheelie-ing cars the tyres clipped into the ground at bigger bumps so the force the sim applies to put them right is exaggerated...

I drove the Radical at Sebring - haven't driven it for a bit longer so I can't say for sure if it's this particular update, but in 1.5 hours I had not a single instance of the suspension oscillating more and more until the car was out of control... It still bounced alright, but the car always returned to a stable position...

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

It sounds like people are pretty ecstatic about this change? I'll also echo UncleBenny's question: the high line really works now on the ovals?
Quote from Jrod :Wait...so you're saying that they found a major bug in the way tracks were created from the laser data, and fixing that issue has caused a major change in the vehicle handling for the better?

That sounds exciting if I'm understanding this correctly.

It wasn't really a bug and the cars still drive on the same laser point cloud data. What was changed was the precision of the calculation for the physic engine. They´d thought a simpler calculation would do it (better for slower CPUs) until they saw some telemetry output.

That´s the essence of some dev posts, as I understand it.
Quote from UncleBenny :Does the high line really work now? If so that's amazing.

Yeah, it's immense. I've been racing at Bristol and Michigan in the trucks all week, the high line is easily the fastest way around Michigan, and the high line at Bristol works great for overtaking. It's really given oval racing a new bit of life. Homestead in the Indycar is brilliant aswell, can actually overtake on the outside, which never ever used to happen before.

Obviously there are still tracks where the high line doesn't work, just like there are tracks in RL where it doesn't work, but it is working great at places where it should.
Quote from Klaus T Maus :It wasn't really a bug and the cars still drive on the same laser point cloud data. What was changed was the precision of the calculation for the physic engine. They´d thought a simpler calculation would do it (better for slower CPUs) until they saw some telemetry output.

That´s the essence of some dev posts, as I understand it.

Thanks for the summary, that sounds great.

Quote from DeKo :Yeah, it's immense. I've been racing at Bristol and Michigan in the trucks all week, the high line is easily the fastest way around Michigan, and the high line at Bristol works great for overtaking. It's really given oval racing a new bit of life. Homestead in the Indycar is brilliant aswell, can actually overtake on the outside, which never ever used to happen before.

Obviously there are still tracks where the high line doesn't work, just like there are tracks in RL where it doesn't work, but it is working great at places where it should.

Wow, that does sound immense. I'm not a huge oval guy, but I'll be re-subbing tonight...
Quote from DeKo :Seems like you are incapable of reading, so I'll explain it to you.

nah I can read you just gave me the wrong hint.. A link to this -> http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1466964.page would have helped me more.

There I can see that if I have class B and SR of 4 I can race the F1 Race from class A. So racing the higher A class is also enough to get my needed 2 races for class B to level up to A. Luckily I have already the FW31, to bad just like in LFS the interest in the Formula 1 car dropped very fast (Formula Fun). I hope at least in class A are enough people racing the F1.
Quote from funRacer[83] :nah I can read you just gave me the wrong hint.. A link to this -> http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1466964.page would have helped me more.

There I can see that if I have class B and SR of 4 I can race the F1 Race from class A. So racing the higher A class is also enough to get my needed 2 races for class B to level up to A. Luckily I have already the FW31, to bad just like in LFS the interest in the Formula 1 car dropped very fast (Formula Fun). I hope at least in class A are enough people racing the F1.

It's explained perfectly in the Sporting Code, which is what I told you to read. Just because you're a fucking idiot and can't read the Sporting Code, doesn't mean I should spend my time searching the forums for you.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG