The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Except you don't get that for another 2 weeks.. I expected it sooner, but sadly it never happened.. I'll probably bag 2 tracks, as cars are cheap.
Quote from Shotglass :imho a projector is always better
that said its probably one of the worst choice for competitive play

I was just thinking of overall image quality... The general consensus seems to be that they look fine, I guess it's not the same thing as running a native 720P display that just happens to be 6 feet wide (or whatever) it's different, and quite immersive.

Quote :however nvidias triple head solution is clearly a late addition (ati did a stellar job of keeping eyefinity under the rug until the release of their latest chips) that iirc isnt even supported by the current drivers yet (or wasnt until very recently) so im not a big fan of their method or any form of multi card setup for that matter due to microstuttering

I tried the ATi eyefinity setup with three 24" monitors with COD4, it was pretty good... nVidia took a while because they were making it work in 3D - the 3D Vision Surround. Indeed I think the drivers are being updated to officially support it, altough "leaked" drivers are available which support it. Though rendering 6 frames at once is insane so you'd need two rather top end cards to do it.[/quote]

Quote :also you should keep in mind that any form of 3d and (especially in racing games where nearly everything on screen is far away) should be done using a screen at least several metres (6+ would be ideal iirc) from your eyes so the lens is focused to infinity thus limiting the chance of headaches and fatigue (and several other problems some definite some speculative that come with 3d) due to the eyes lens being focused at a distance matching the perceived depth

I know we sort of had this conversation before... but although I was expecting all sorts of maladies when I switch to 3D gaming, it appears to actually be easier on my eyes for some reason. I find my eyes get much more tired at work doing 2D crap then they do gaming in 3D. I don't have a good hypothesis for why that is, but I feel a lot less eye strain with the 3D. I've never gotten a headache or anything from it either.

I can say that iRacing and LFS work really well with it though. I always thought LFS' mirrors were screwed up but they're definitely in the right place in 3D space..
I love big oval racing.

There's just something about doing 140 with a guy 2 inches to your left and a guy 1 inch to your right.

Race was going well, I was mid pack around 9th or so, a wreck infront of me ensured that I had at least some damage on my first race. Was catching back up to the pack when the pits opened, I panicked and jumped in to repair (not possible I guess?) As I was coming out the pack JUST passed me and I ended up a lap down and in last. Bit of a stupid move but I didn't really have any idea what was going on at this point - finished a reasonably respectable 12th. Out of 12 finishers.
nice solstice race i think nightfly was racing. until a backmarker hit me -0.06 sr for me great
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :I was just thinking of overall image quality... The general consensus seems to be that they look fine, I guess it's not the same thing as running a native 720P display that just happens to be 6 feet wide (or whatever) it's different, and quite immersive.

first of all id always go full hd
secondly yeah its a lot different for some reason filling a lot of your field of vision isnt the same as achieving that same fov with a much larger screen

Quote :nVidia took a while because they were making it work in 3D - the 3D Vision Surround.

nvidia had 3d figured out years ago
they took so long simply because the werent ready for it... anand has a very goot article about the latest ati generation and how they kept eyefinity secret until the very last second
you can tell that nvidia wasnt at all prepared by their cards physically not supporting more than 2 outputs

Quote :Though rendering 6 frames at once is insane so you'd need two rather top end cards to do it.

actually its just 2 frames which are 3 times as large
and while ati is already busy releasing cards with 12 ouputs and perfecting bezel correction nvidia is still struggling to come up with releaseoworthy drivers

Quote :I know we sort of had this conversation before... but although I was expecting all sorts of maladies when I switch to 3D gaming, it appears to actually be easier on my eyes for some reason. I find my eyes get much more tired at work doing 2D crap then they do gaming in 3D. I don't have a good hypothesis for why that is, but I feel a lot less eye strain with the 3D. I've never gotten a headache or anything from it either.

as with anything your mileage will vary
but according to ct (the best german technology magazine) the chief reason for people having problems with 3d is that focus distance and cross eyed distance dont match which for can be fixed by having the screen far enough away from the viewer for the eyes to focus at infinity and placing all 3d effects behind the screen
second problem is badly adjusted 3d with images at extremely close and extremely far distance requiring either too much crossed eyedness or making your eyes more than parallel
Quote from brt900 :nice solstice race i think nightfly was racing. until a backmarker hit me -0.06 sr for me great

yep, loads of iVirgins were online (including me), i managed to finish on 2nd place afterall with damaged car.
Quote from -NightFly- :yep, loads of iVirgins were online (including me), i managed to finish on 2nd place afterall with damaged car.

i was first after you made it hard for me to get past.then i span and towed rejoined 5th was catching then i was hit by a backmarker and had a car that wouldnt turn right for 6 laps
Quote from brt900 : and had a car that wouldnt turn right for 6 laps

unlucky, there were only one left turn , my car didn't turn left
Still have my free month promo code.

Nobody interested?

EDIT : Code sent dont PM anymore plz
I did couple of races today and i must say that i felt worse than racing in LFS with demoers.. So much stupid wreckers, this is horrible
But physics and rest are great, from other side i've never played so good simulator before.
Really? I spent the last week doing rookie races, and had only 1 race where I really had poor competition.. and it was 1 guy that was just rather useless.
Yeah, really. Most of people i raced with was very poor and some of them were crashing, stopping in the middle of the track etc.
I've experienced the same, but im lucky to have finished on the podium on both of the races ive done now
Quote from Shotglass :first of all id always go full hd
secondly yeah its a lot different for some reason filling a lot of your field of vision isnt the same as achieving that same fov with a much larger screen

Main issue is that no 3D capable projector supports full HD at the moment. I'm aiming for end of year to convert my air hockey & music room to a man cave of 3D proportions; so if a full HD projector is available by then then I might just do that. Problem is I hate submerging myself in the basement with no good reason... but a wall full of 3D imagery probably justifies that :P.

Quote :
actually its just 2 frames which are 3 times as large
and while ati is already busy releasing cards with 12 ouputs and perfecting bezel correction nvidia is still struggling to come up with releaseoworthy drivers

Could be my non-german-engineering brain again but isn't 2x3=6? Rendering 2 frames that are 3 times as large seems like as much work as 6 individual frames to my slightly above peon rated brain; please explain if that's not true. My point was that rendering a game in regular 2D on one screen is somewhat lazy compared to rendering the same game on 3 screens in 3D: 6 frames compared to 1. Whilst I'm not a big fan of nVidia's PR, work ethic, sales ethos or in fact product output the last few years; I still fail to see a 3D solution from ATi - which is disappointing since the tech isn't rocket science.

Quote :or making your eyes more than parallel

Well that should not be able to happen mathematically... Otherwise there's an issue there. I've seen bugs where this is the case and I have to look away, but only in one loading screen and that's a rare bug. Otherwise it should be straightfoward geometry.
I'm trying to find anagraph glasses, to play with the crappy 3d effect that the nV drivers have.
Anaglyph I assume you mean...

I can't imagine that working too well; although it uses the same z buffer info so it may give you a rough idea what 3D Vision does; albeit with bollocks for colours.
I'm just bored, and wanting to screw around with stuff like that.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Main issue is that no 3D capable projector supports full HD at the moment.

thats some nvidia validation bs again istn it? considering there are no dolby 3d projectors out there yet (or at least none that are even remotely affordable) id say the only proper option to go 3d with projectors is to use 2 of them and polarisers

Quote :Could be my non-german-engineering brain again but isn't 2x3=6? Rendering 2 frames that are 3 times as large seems like as much work as 6 individual frames to my slightly above peon rated brain

well yes and no
rendering 6 or rather 3 individual frames to me would imply rendering them to different framebuffers or at least allowing them to be rendered with different camera angles (like lfs supports since (in lfs time) very recently) which would require quite a bit more work to be done but would allow for a much better multihead experience through a more cylindrical projection (flat projection on more than one screen is by far the biggest flaw and makes multihead near usless imho)
i wouldnt be surprised if lfs' multi perspective rendering and 3d drivers would fail spectacularly in combination

Quote :I still fail to see a 3D solution from ATi - which is disappointing since the tech isn't rocket science.

dunno maybe they consider it to be gimmicky
and its not like there arent 3rd party 3d drivers out there which dont come with artificial restrictions on what hardware youre allowed to use
Quote from Shotglass :thats some nvidia validation bs again istn it? considering there are no dolby 3d projectors out there yet (or at least none that are even remotely affordable) id say the only proper option to go 3d with projectors is to use 2 of them and polarisers

No the validation issues have to do with bs reasons why current "3d capable" projectors are not really supported; although they used to be (Optoma). Somehow nVidia expects the general public to believe that there's a real reason for it which is insane. Regardless, none of the supported or not projectors will do 1080 in 3D right now. I suspect that's about to change though. Driver hacks may or may not be available get around the EDID limitations though for said "unsupported" projectors however.

I don't think I could get the 3D Vision drivers to work with two individual projectors & polarization; nor would I have the propensity to get glasses that work for that either... that whole methodology seems like voodoo to me.

Quote :
rendering 6 or rather 3 individual frames to me would imply rendering them to different framebuffers or at least allowing them to be rendered with different camera angles

I think I missed something; or else you're intentionally talking over my short head... the whole point of 3D rendering is rendering the same scene from two (slightly) different angles.

No matter how you look at it, each frame has to be drawn twice mathematically which generally cuts frame rates roughly in half. Makes me feel like running SLi is just a necessity and not a cool luxury now :P

Quote :dunno maybe they consider it to be gimmicky
and its not like there arent 3rd party 3d drivers out there which dont come with artificial restrictions on what hardware youre allowed to use

I don't find it gimmicky that it transforms the gaming experience so dramatically - whether it be in WoW or iRacing or Metro 2033; it's not in the same category any more even with the inherent flaws (using LCD in my case). iz3D and others don't have the support to make it worth while; hell nVidia barely does and it's their own product. Issues notwithstanding, my personal experience is that if I couldn't run 3D i'd just play Wii at this point instead.

Watching the suspension move on other Skip Barber cars around me is amazing, and running up to the corkscrew at Laguna can really put a pit in your stomach when there's a sensation of depth involved.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :nor would I have the propensity to get glasses that work for that either... that whole methodology seems like voodoo to me.

its much simpler than any shutter nonsense if you ask me
infitec or dolby 3d now thats optical voodoo (and german so its awesome by default)

Quote :I think I missed something; or else you're intentionally talking over my short head... the whole point of 3D rendering is rendering the same scene from two (slightly) different angles.

yes but the whole point of multihead as its done today is rendering a scene from only one angle
rendering the same scene from say 3 angles for 3 monitors and 2 slightly different positions for each angle and getting everything to line up in the final rendering (both in 2d and 3d) now that would be an achievement and infinitely more complicated

however if a game renders the scene from multiple angles by itself and combines them i would expect things to go terribly wrong
eg are the mirrors in lfs 3d? or alternatively if you go to options=>view=>multiple-screen-layout and add a few screens to the left and right does 3d still work properly?

Quote :Makes me feel like running SLi is just a necessity and not a cool luxury now :P

considering how well single car options semm to handle eyefinity i doubt that
plus with any multicard method you always get microstuttering which just adds more problems on top of all the other ones

Quote :I don't find it gimmicky that it transforms the gaming experience so dramatically - whether it be in WoW or iRacing or Metro 2033; it's not in the same category any more even with the inherent flaws (using LCD in my case).

matter of taste i guess
personally im not particularly impressed by 3d at any level below imax and even that has serious flaws due to polarisers killing gamut and white levels (something i care a whole deal more about than 3d)
Quote :personally im not particularly impressed by anything ever unless it doesn't exist; but when it does exist I'll cease to be impressed by it due to the nature of it's existence

Fixed your quote!!

I'll try the LFS thing and let you know how it handles it tomorrow evening, it's sleep time now... I'll try the same thing in iRacing actually as well.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Fixed your quote!!

while you might have point the technology is still flawed in lots of key areas

Quote :I'll try the LFS thing and let you know how it handles it tomorrow evening, it's sleep time now... I'll try the same thing in iRacing actually as well.

i dont think iracing supports this
rfactor does iirc but im not sure if it works at normal resolutions like it does in lfs
major factor in triple head acceptance if you ask me as especially fps look pretty horrid on the side screens without cylindrical projection or at least pseudo cylindrical
Quote from mcintyrej :I love big oval racing.

There's just something about doing 140 with a guy 2 inches to your left and a guy 1 inch to your right.

Oval racing is great....
Quote from richard dk :Oval racing is great....

It is, I've not really got the hang of New Hampshire though. Just done 40 or so practice laps in the silverado with little setup tweaks here and there, running around 31.2 constant, really needs to be down towards 30.5 until I'm happy.

Anyone got a good setup grid/website? I can't seem to find a thing.
Does iracing have rolling starts on road courses? If so, where do they start at Mid Ohio?

In real life they do rolling starts on the back straight. I always sit in the esses, and that's an awesome corner complex to see at the start of a race.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG