The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Mosport near completion
Greg Hill, iRacing developer:

Quote :The track is nearing surface texture completion (grasses, asphalts, etc). The driving surface is done. We still have yet to model the buildings and track side objects but they're coming up in a couple of weeks. This track will be top priority in our production queue very... soon

It will not be out in August. October is more likely.

Great news for the Canucks who have eagerly awaiting this new track.
Attached images
mosport1.jpg
I've walked and road my bike on that turn. I race on the kart track next door to the car track. Excited for it to come to iRacing When they came to scan the car track, they also scanned the kart track. That assures us that karts will be coming...eventually.
Quote from racer hero :I've walked and road my bike on that turn. I race on the kart track next door to the car track. Excited for it to come to iRacing When they came to scan the car track, they also scanned the kart track. That assures us that karts will be coming...eventually.

Would love to see the SR's of those drivers involved.
Quote from PMD9409 :Would love to see the SR's of those drivers involved.

There must be some kind of other SR license for karting or something.
heh, maybe.

Off/Ontopic: With leagues not far away, anyone organizing one? I would fork over some money but college is stealing all me moolah!
Quote from PMD9409 :heh, maybe.

Off/Ontopic: With leagues not far away, anyone organizing one? I would fork over some money but college is stealing all me moolah!

If only I had money, and only if several other in NDR had money.

Sooooooo,how does it compare to LFS in terms of driving precision,simulation and blah blah?
Is there anyone here who plays both LFS and Iracing the same amount of time?
Im starting my free month now,what to expect?
Quote from IlGuercio :Im starting my free month now,what to expect?

First of all, take your time and figure out how the web interface works. It's not complicated but very different to other sims. You sign up for events instead of joining servers.

On road side, you'll start off with a Pontiac Solstice which is not the most exciting car to drive. Like someone said on the forums, "Point of the Solstice is to get out of the Solstice". You can jump into Spec Racer once you get SR over 3.0, that's bit more like a racecar but still quite low on power. For me, D-licence is where the racing really begins with two awesome cars; Skip Barber RT2000 and VW Jetta TDI.

On oval side, rookie Legends is still one of my favorite cars and there's some great competition if you can get into race with high rated drivers. Lower splits are usually filled with complete rookies in their first races and they tend to get messy.
Wow.. reading the first two pages and the last two pages of this thread is... just...

*breaks down*
Had the Radical SR8 free month's trial. I think I played the game three times. The trial has now run out and I'm not in the slightest bit interested in stumping up the silly amounts of money to subscribe.
Quote from Minimaxman :Had the Radical SR8 free month's trial. I think I played the game three times. The trial has now run out and I'm not in the slightest bit interested in stumping up the silly amounts of money to subscribe.

only play something 3 times, what do you expect, honestly! I played historX mod in rFactor 3 times and hated it and thought it was crap. After someone spent a little time to help me set it up right, I played some more and loved it. Give it a proper go before not liking it!
The fact that all you could do in the trial version was do practice laps rather than actually race probably didn't help.

Maybe only three goes was a slight exaggeration, I played it a handful of times and spent quite a time trying pretty much all the different combinations of car / track available to me. The Radical seemed like the best car out of the bunch but I still didn't particularly like the way it felt.

And I don't think I'd ever be prepared to spend the amount of money needed to unlock most of the content, maybe if I became a millionare because then I could afford it.

I just don't like the way it feels compared to LFS. If I preferred iRacing I'd probably be posting on the iRacing forum right now.
You can race in trial. Just join a race session. The things I like most is the tracks, they are a bit expensive but of great quality.
Quote from anttt69 :Greg Hill, iRacing developer:

Great news for the Canucks who have eagerly awaiting this new track.

If I can do any mosport trackdays next year, I'll consider giving them a month sub just to see first hand their real-lifeness... On the otherhand... Do I really want to pay $50 to satisfy my curiosity? Maybe not.
Quote from Minimaxman :The fact that all you could do in the trial version was do practice laps rather than actually race probably didn't help.

you can race in the solstice, Spec Racer if you got your safety racing up, legend rookie and legend advanced. You just didn't read the sporting code or you'd know that or took the time to give it a full go as I said above.

Quote from Minimaxman : The Radical seemed like the best car out of the bunch but I still didn't particularly like the way it felt.

I'm surprised you didn't like the way it felt. It's truly amazing in the radical for close to real life compared to the majority of other sims.

Quote from Minimaxman :I just don't like the way it feels compared to LFS.

That's fair enough. It just depends what you look for in a game. Some prefer different things other than real life feeling.

Quote from Minimaxman :If I preferred iRacing I'd probably be posting on the iRacing forum right now.

Thats why so many of us that are LFS fans post here that like iRacing too, right?
Quote from Mattesa :If I can do any mosport trackdays next year, I'll consider giving them a month sub just to see first hand their real-lifeness... On the otherhand... Do I really want to pay $50 to satisfy my curiosity? Maybe not.

The cheapest you could do it would be via the Radical trial i.e a free month with the Radical included + $25 for Mosport. If you have already used that offer then there is month for $5 offer via inracing.com.
Im playing it with the promo code from radical sportscar site.
Well,it is damn hard...
It took me ten laps on Laguna Seca to do a clean one.
The fastest i could do was 1.25.025 and i assure you it was bloody hard to make the car go wherever i wanted.
Now im trying Silverstone,and im starting to drive differently from lfs.
I feel the weight shift but i cant really tell whats happening to the tires.
It's a good game,no doubt,but the subscription thing is frustrating.
DFP is already unappropriate for iracing,FFB is good but the dfp is too jerky and not fluid in response.
This game is not for me,i appreciate the free month but i won't be able to continue playing once the month expires
Quote from anttt69 :The cheapest you could do it would be via the Radical trial i.e a free month with the Radical included + $25 for Mosport. If you have already used that offer then there is month for $5 offer via inracing.com.

Thanks for the tip about the other offer. I've done the radical trial already.
Quote from IlGuercio :
It took me ten laps on Laguna Seca to do a clean one.
The fastest i could do was 1.25.025 and i assure you it was bloody hard to make the car go wherever i wanted.

have you tried one of shawn purdey's setups off the forum ? radical can seem like a bitch till you find a setup or setup developer that suits your style. shawn's can be a bit loose but it's not too hard if you're used to lfs to figure what to alter to change that without ruining the setup. i used to really dislike laguna with the solstice, and the radical everywhere but now laguna and radical is one of my favourite track & car combos
There's just something about Radical that doesn't quite feel right, it's fine on flat tracks like Laguna Seca but it doesn't like bumps at all. Even if setup options are limited to mimic the real car, with little tweaking you can make it bounce around in completely unrealistic manner.
Quote from tinvek :have you tried one of shawn purdey's setups off the forum ? radical can seem like a bitch till you find a setup or setup developer that suits your style. shawn's can be a bit loose but it's not too hard if you're used to lfs to figure what to alter to change that without ruining the setup. i used to really dislike laguna with the solstice, and the radical everywhere but now laguna and radical is one of my favourite track & car combos

Where can i find one of those setups?
Im not so good at tweaking the car
I was watching one of shawn's video at Laguna and i was surprised by how hard he was turning inside corners,i can't do that.
It is surely me
Quote from Crommi :Even if setup options are limited to mimic the real car, with little tweaking you can make it bounce around in completely unrealistic manner.

In my experience it takes a lot of tweaking to get it to STOP bouncing around no matter what. There's something odd going on between the RF/LR and vice versa, in that once movement across the chassis starts, it's virtually unstoppable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3QHIICcvTw

Granted, that video is at Sebring over one of the worst bumps ever, but it happens at other tracks as well. It's been brought up in the forums a million times but iRacing doesn't seem to want to touch the issue at all... or even acknowledge that there is an issue.
Does anyone else think Jefferson is a bit mickey mouse? Pile up central, they should at least run smaller grids there.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG