The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Aulden Slow :
One thing I do have issues with is the cadres who are anti-iRacing simply because they had to resort to legal avenues to protect their interests, and it seems to me Moose is probably one of those.

AFAIK Moose is much newer to sim racing than that and was never part of the N2003 community. Very few here even know what happened and TBH that has barely crossed my mind, I think very few people still hold that as there abiding memory of DK/Papy.
There's a bad Papy/DK history? Pray tell..
I think you are forgetting a bit that it might be that Moose did indeed have a conversation with said beta tester and the beta tester said it was ok to leak information. The information would get to the public and it would be harder to trace....

Saying that the simulator could be made of gold but like Sam pointed out most of the community here will not touch it with a ten foot barge pole because of the simple fact of how they are running the rental system congruent with a service payment. I want my money to mean something, not pissed away into the wind. I don't care how amazing the services are. There are other ways to earn money to support services like the event system iRacing is running.

Personally I also don't like the fact that the sim developers have the say in who races in leagues and who doesn't. For obvious reasons I feel there is a strong conflict of interest. Which is another reason why I won't look at the sim.

Third reason I won't touch the sim, there is no demo that is free. Why would I want to pay $20 to find out IF I like something, something seems wrong there to me.

The simulator itself is not the major problem. The problem starts with these above said points which has nothing to do with the actual game engine and physics and the unwillingness to look at the game stems from the shear amount of money needed to support sim racing. I race online because it's cheap, not because I want to.
Quote from paddy_racer :Hehe my good friend Sean Edwards!

If you aiming that at sean edwards he doesn't play or hold a license in lfs, NOOB

Nah, just trying to make a joke that if he was doing that in iracing, his irating would suffer, relegating him to race with other course-cutters and ne'er-do-wells. Or so we believe.

I can see I failed.
@Aulden Slow
Maybe said beta tester just doesn't care and is ok with him leaking the info? Has that thought ever crossed your mind? I can kinda understand where you come from seeing that you're a loyal Kaemmer fan, and I'd probably have similar thoughts if someone leaked out some LFS secrets, but you realise that not necessarily everyone gives a turd about iRental's NDA.
Quote from Aulden Slow :Firstly, I am not defending iRacings product. Very hard to do seeing as though I am not claiming I have seen it or driven it. That is a product of your fertile imagination.

So you spontaneously materialising here to refute the slightly negative comments from someone who I fully believe has played the sim like he says and generally knows what he's talking about; that is you not defending iRacing? I see, my mistake.
Quote from Shotglass :i seem to remember that there are rather a few corners in f1 (or at least were) that have exits as wide as the old blackwood after the backstraight where everyone had all 4 wheels way outside the white lines

And that makes it right?

Quote from DarrenMarsh :Show me a league where drivers can drive whatever track they want each round instead of what is determined by the league schedule.

Damn commie league admins, robbing everyone of their freedoms! :thumbsdow

You are either retarded or ignorant, your pick...

First, I don't take part in a league that doesn't fit me. Second, if I choose not to take part in one league, I can always find another or start my own. And third, I certainly don't pay for something dictating how I should spend my time!

Quote from Aulden Slow :Respected?? Why? A person is entrusted with confidential information who cannot resist boasting about it in a forum is not a person I would respect. I suspect there is a beta tester out there who feels the same way, if one did in fact allow him to see it.(Which i seriously doubt)

The fact that his post matches the things we already know from iRacing's own EULA and knowledge base very closely doesn't make you suspicious... Come to think of it, there is no new information in his post, just confirmation (sadly) of our worst expectations...
Quote from Aulden Slow :My interest is simple. I have been reading around the most forums to see what I could find out about others views on iRacing. I have always been a Papy fan and have been sim racing since Indy500 was released in 1989, so I follow everything Kaemmer does very closely, as I know that every time he releases a title, it is light years ahead of the pack. I think it would have been great to be a beta tester, but sadly, we are not all that priveleged.

Popcorn anywone? Ill charge a small amount of 1 EUR per 10 posts to anyone who wants it form me.

If this will be ligth years ahead of the pack we shall see. 1 thing is certain. It will most probably be light years ahead in their service, as nobody uptodate has charged so much money for a league participating. Other than that, we are yet to see how far ahead it is in terms of physics and track behaviour and "nature" dynamics aka. wind, weather and temperature.
Now if you are hard core league enthusiast, allways unhappy of the services and racing code other leagues in any other sim give you, your spot on with iRacing as it will deffo have never before seen league admiing. As for all the stuff that trully count (at least to me) in a simulator, IF however they will be included, then i will have no more to say but to somehow accept it and purchase it. If they will not be included, then all i can say is have a nice play in a best league there is.
Quote from SamH :There's a bad Papy/DK history? Pray tell..

Proves my point nicely

Basically a number of very good mods were in development that would have extended the lifespan of N2003, which DK and his team lost the rights to when they left the publisher to work on their own product. The flash point came with the GTP mod, within hours of its release DK and the iRacing team (then called First) issued threats and got it pulled. It was supposedly because it contained unlicensed content (which is true but rF's business model relies on this) and that they could be held responsible for allowing it to be released (a load of bollocks because they didn't have the rights or any ownership of N2003 anyway). This was widely seen as an attempt to kill the N2003 community because they saw it as a threat to their future product, that it was speculated would be released much sooner with much fewer major modifications to the engine. Most community members complied and the GTP mod was allowed to be re-released with all branding removed but all other mods that changed the physics (which required reverse engineering of the executable) were banned.

One guy (Tim McArthur) refused to comply and didn't pull a relatively minor mod from his website, First took him to court and both sides made a song and dance about it on their websites. Both sides went quiet and I think there was a presumption that some kind of agreement had been met, it was all very nasty anyway and left a bitter taste in the N2003 community and there was a large 'Boycott Fir$t' campaign that RSC failed to suppress. First then went quiet for a number of years renamed themselves (although they're still using the First name for part of their ranking system) and then reappeared.

They may have renamed themselves to get rid of the Fir$t image but they've just gone and got iRental for a different reason, some people never change

Quote from Aulden Slow :That is beside the point. If I were the beta tester Moose claims to have visited, I would cross him off my Christmas card list immediately. Put yourself in his place. The person he has confided in and given the privilege of an early look to goes and runs his mouth about it in a public forum. My guess is someone in iRacing probably reads most of the forums. Ouch. Now the tester must be worrying a bit, don't you think?? Maybe he will be busted because a friend couldn't be trusted. Moose is British, right?? How many Brit tester do you think there are?? I guess by now this tester is REALLY nervous.....

Maybe the beta tester doesn't mind Moose posting? What's the worst that might happen for breaking an NDA? Possibly getting thrown off the beta program and having to wait a few weeks for public release, assuming of course the beta tester has decided it's worth paying for.
Quote from Linsen :A maximum of 12 or 14 racers is an appalingly low number, I must say. Very disappointing.

On, I don't know; lets say CTRA Race1, you may start the race with 20-25 people. But how many actually finish? 12 or 14 MAX . If you start with less, hopefully(HOPEFULLY!!!!) more than 50% of the field will finish.
Quote from The Radness :On, I don't know; lets say CTRA Race1, you may start the race with 20-25 people. But how many actually finish? 12 or 14 MAX . If you start with less, hopefully(HOPEFULLY!!!!) more than 50% of the field will finish.

Hehe
LOL!

Finishing stats in CTRA aren't THAT bad! We consider <80% races finished to be a bad number.
Quote from SamH :LOL!

Finishing stats in CTRA aren't THAT bad! We consider <80% races finished to be a bad number.

uhoh..... "erases my own license"

With this thread Sam, you thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?

:edit: read TS window too Sam please =)
Right now, the only thing I'm thinking is "black forest gateaux with fresh cream", but that's just a personal affliction

I've only completed 78% of my races.. but that's just sod's law, cos when I go on using the SamH account, I constantly get asked questions while I'm trying to race
Quote from SamH :Right now, the only thing I'm thinking is "black forest gateaux with fresh cream", but that's just a personal affliction

I've only completed 78% of my races.. but that's just sod's law, cos when I go on using the SamH account, I constantly get asked questions while I'm trying to race

At least you have an excuss, best I can do is Aimee calls me to do something or the phone rings...

It's Ben and Jerrys Cherry Garcia for me, they used to make it as icecream, but brought it back as frozen yougert, tastes the same, with something like 90% less fat which means I will now be 90% less fat than I would have been normally. That and thier Chunky Monkey... 'drool'
Quote from SamH :LOL!

Well I'm glad you gents found the humor in my post there.

But in all seriousness, alot of people complain of T1 pileups, but with half as many cars, that guy/girl that forgot to install his brake pedal is going to have to be a litlle more accurate with his/her bump-stop

women drivers.....am I right?
Quote from The Radness :women drivers.....am I right?

According to our (prolly faulty) stats, a total of 543 women have raced in the CTRA this year so far! That would explain EVERYTHING!!!
Quote from The Radness :Well I'm glad you gents found the humor in my post there.

But in all seriousness, alot of people complain of T1 pileups, but with half as many cars, that guy/girl that forgot to install his brake pedal is going to have to be a litlle more accurate with his/her bump-stop

women drivers.....am I right?

LOL all 2% of them =)

We hear the complaints, it's a challenge to tackle with limited manpower to be sure. We know there is an issue with 'noob' drivers crashing people, we do have some concepts drawn up, have had for a good 6 months at least, but we cannot 'put the pen to paper' without some more manpower to shove at it. Reports alone can only do so much and they do a great job, but...
Quote from The Radness :On, I don't know; lets say CTRA Race1, you may start the race with 20-25 people. But how many actually finish? 12 or 14 MAX . If you start with less, hopefully(HOPEFULLY!!!!) more than 50% of the field will finish.

With the running costs of iRacing being far higher than LFS', iRacing should attract less people who don't take the time to learn the ropes. This (in theory..) should mean that larger grids are 'more viable' due to greater overall driver competence / risk involved. Having said that, take the Pinnacle of Motorsport as an example. The worlds 'best' drivers and in how many races has there not been an incident on the first lap Add to that the virtuality factor of a sim and hobbyists who've never touched a race car etc. Expecting completely incident free racing no matter what the price model isn't realistic imo. Not that anyone was claiming it is. /rant.
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :LOL all 2% of them =)

We hear the complaints, it's a challenge to tackle with limited manpower to be sure. We know there is an issue with 'noob' drivers crashing people, we do have some concepts drawn up, have had for a good 6 months at least, but we cannot 'put the pen to paper' without some more manpower to shove at it. Reports alone can only do so much and they do a great job, but...

Oh I completely understand, I say the more the merrier, but If I'm paying 13,15,20 bucks a month, I sure don't want to be punted into the kitty litter 30% of the time so I understand where they are coming from with the smaller grids.

OT: I do most of my racing at CTRA and it has drastically improved my door-to-door racing.
Quote from The Radness :

OT: I do most of my racing at CTRA and it has drastically improved my door-to-door racing.

Thanks! Thats our goal =) We have plenty more ideas for you guys on the blocks, just to get this degree out of the way first... and the baby... and the car... ohh and the house...
Quote from Aulden Slow :Yeah right. Some beta tester is idiot enough break his NDA and let some guy who is going to blab all over the forums use his beta account.........

You know nothing.

I have absolutely no interest in coming here making things up for the sake of it.

I cant be bothered to go into details tbh. What's the point? it's one persons opinion. It means nothing.
I don't want to sit here giving away stuff about it either. I do respect the Devs wishes that info isn't leaked, that's why I've made some very general comments and nothing else.

I'm certainly not in any way anti iRacing. I'm just stating that for me there is not enough to it for it to be worth the asking price.

I can see it in 12 months time being worth it if there is a decent sized community and more content.

Quote from Aulden Slow :Moose is British, right?? How many Brit tester do you think there are?? I guess by now this tester is REALLY nervous.....

Who says i was in Britain at the time?
Why should we have respect towards Iracing devs about the NDA after what they did to the modding community?

It isn t our business...

The NDA is only here to cover the fake sim-revolution hyped by Iracing since years.
Quote from GHOSTRACER1 :Why should we have respect towards Iracing devs about the NDA after what they did to the modding community?

It isn t our business...

The NDA is only here to cover the fake sim-revolution hyped by Iracing since years.

Get over it. go outside, enjoy the fresh air, realise what matters in life and move on.
Quote from Aulden Slow :Join date was December, almost 6 months ago. I hope you are not a "spontaneous" person.

I have been lurking and reading comments for a while, but I guess the fact that I hardly ever post means I just joined yesterday. Go figure

You obviously created your account and have been viewing this forum for some reason, you haven't shown any interest at all in LFS though and only pop up in a rather aggressive manner in this thread and still haven't explained as to what has led you to be here in the first place.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG