The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Yeah, that's what i'm thinking I don't really care so much for AI.
I very much doubt AI is a priority given the focus is online competition and driver training.
very much doubt AI will EVER be IN there - htere is NO AI. None.
Nothing. Nada.
Except if you count the oval's pace car.

You can only drive against real drivers. Or test alone.
Endurance races with dynamic weather can't happen soon enough for me! I'm really looking forward to changing conditions and adapting to them. I just hope they'll actually implement weather.
Problem with dynamic weather is that iRacing already requires a decent set of hardware, now add in all the variables that you need to make weather changes actually look realistic.
Quote from Gabkicks :nope, no weather. I am wondering how far iRacing will go with content. It would be nice if we could see some sort of plan on what and when features would be released, but no developer's really done that very well.

Just look at the track list for all planned tracks. It's all very American focused. If they run out of American tracks, I'm sure they'll expand to European tracks for further cash flows.
Quote :The next wave of invitations to join iRacing.com will go out on Wednesday, Aug. 6.

Good luck for those wanting invites I guess
Since there's still people asking for invites, here's some good news for you amongst other stuff.

Quote :August 1, 2008 - New Season...New Series!
New Season
With awards for the Summer 2008 iRacing Season being distributed as you read this, the third iRacing competition season of 2008 is upon us. Starting Saturday, Aug. 2, at 8 p.m. EDT (Midnight GMT), the new season brings with it several significant changes to the iRacing service. Most immediately obvious is the season name.

Out of respect for our members in the southern hemisphere, we're adopting a numeric naming convention. Rather than "Fall 2008," this season will be known as "2008-Season 3" - a bit dry, we know, but we felt it was necessary for our growing global community. Season 3 will run through the end of October and be followed, predictably enough, by 2008-Season 4, starting in early November.

New Series
As previously announced, Season 3 will feature more frequent rookie races and more convenient scheduling of qualifying sessions and races for the higher-level series. The schedule will also include new Class C series, adding the Formula Mazda, Road America and Silverstone to FIRST-sanctioned road racing, and the USAC Silver Crown car, Atlanta, Homestead and Richmond to FIRST-sanctioned oval competition.

We're also pleased to announce a new series based on the success of our 13th Week Fun Races. The SK Modified Weekly Series will feature the same schedule of tracks as the Late Model series, with Practice and Time Trial sessions running every day. But in an effort to maintain full fields, Qualifying and Race sessions will be limited to the period between
8 p.m. EDT, Wednesday and 7:59 p.m. EDT, Thursday. Like the Late Model series, the SK Weekly Series will be open to drivers with Class D or higher oval licenses (or rookies with a Safety Rating of 4.0 or higher).

New members
The next wave of invitations to join iRacing.com will go out on Wednesday, Aug. 6. With several thousand invitations being distributed and a large influx of new members expected, we'd like to remind everyone of our Code of Conduct (section 1.4 of the FIRST Sporting Code).

New members, please remember that your primary focus should be on getting acclimated to the iRacing community and driving cleanly. Above all, always be respectful to your fellow members.

Experienced iRacers, remember to be patient with those new to our community and help them find their bearings. You know how important sportsmanship and courtesy are to all of us. Please lead by example.

Reminder! Please remember the August 29th Annual Subscription Bonus Program. All members with one-year subscriptions in place as of midnight GMT on that date will receive an additional $15 iRacing credit (on top of the $60 iRacing credit that you normally receive with the purchase of an annual subscription). For full information on this Bonus Program, please see the related post in the iRacing.com Announcements section of the member forums.

Source: http://members.iracing.com

Edit: Damn Jertje

Edit2: Nice, there's new patch out aswell, couple bugfixes and tweaks but here's two things that stand out:
Quote :Cars
Updated the 3rd gear ratio in the Solstice from the 2006 model's 1.37 to the 2007-present model's 1.51.
Updated full throttle engine sounds for Formula Mazda.

I hope that fixes my sound issues with Mazda.
Edit: It did! WOOOHOOOO! I can drive Mazda and my ears won't bleed!
$13 a month ? is this kinda joke.
Quote from TURKISHPOWER :$13 a month ? is this kinda joke.

no, its the best, most serious sim racing money can buy at the moment

its so awesome they changed the 3rd gear ratio in the solstice! It'll make limerock a bit different...no more staying in 3rd until the downhill I guess.

Might have to play around with upshifting to 4th before the uphill and then back to 3rd or something before west bend.

(I think I got all the turn names right )
anyone have a decent summit point set for the adv solstice?
I tried the Adv. Solstice around Summit Point briefly, and I'm now finding myself on or close to the redline through T3, T9 and T10. Atm it still seems to be faster for me to stay in 3rd, but that might just be because I'm used to it that way. If I should get just slightly faster overall, I might have to stay in 4th for those turns, or rather shift to 4th for T9, which seems a little awkward. So, maybe it will be 4th for T3 and T10, but 3rd for T9.

Edit: I'm using a setup for LS, but it works for me. And tbh, I don't think it makes that much of a difference in the Solstice. As long as it's decent it's more about comfort, I'd say.
Attached files
Solstice_laguna.zip - 604 B - 178 views
I really hope I get an invite, because I am getting kind of sick of the people online in LFS that just ignore you and take the same lines even if a car is in their way. From what I have read iracing has a very strict safety rating, and people don't want to risk making contact with other cars.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I really hope I get an invite, because I am getting kind of sick of the people online in LFS that just ignore you and take the same lines even if a car is in their way. From what I have read iracing has a very strict safety rating, and people don't want to risk making contact with other cars.

Well, Rookie serie is training ground so you can expect T1 incidents to happen there, but based on my observation it get's better as you move on to a higher level. But the good thing is that there's no wreckers at all and in overall I've only encountered one person who has started shouting and spamming during the race. All other race incident's I've been able to sort out through PMs and everyone has been very polite once the adrenaline has wore off.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I really hope I get an invite, because I am getting kind of sick of the people online in LFS that just ignore you and take the same lines even if a car is in their way. From what I have read iracing has a very strict safety rating, and people don't want to risk making contact with other cars.

August 6th should be
Quote from Linsen :I tried the Adv. Solstice around Summit Point briefly, and I'm now finding myself on or close to the redline through T3, T9 and T10. Atm it still seems to be faster for me to stay in 3rd, but that might just be because I'm used to it that way. If I should get just slightly faster overall, I might have to stay in 4th for those turns, or rather shift to 4th for T9, which seems a little awkward. So, maybe it will be 4th for T3 and T10, but 3rd for T9.

Edit: I'm using a setup for LS, but it works for me. And tbh, I don't think it makes that much of a difference in the Solstice. As long as it's decent it's more about comfort, I'd say.

thanks for the set, I'll have a go later

Things still happen. People are still human. Sometimes there is brain fade. You can't help it.
I can cope with brain fade, its the deliberate wrecking and suicidal blocking that I get sick of, thats why I spend all my LFS time racing on CTRA, because the consequences of deliberate wrecking are high there.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I can cope with brain fade, its the deliberate wrecking and suicidal blocking that I get sick of, thats why I spend all my LFS time racing on CTRA, because the consequences of deliberate wrecking are high there.

thats exaxctly why i've taken to only racing on ctra and why i like iracing, just don't get the time to use either of them at the moment but ive 2 1/2 weeks off work starting 6am friday

one downside of the rules in iracing is that you do find some people slightly intimidated by penalty points and unwilling to try to pass or defend or even push too hard in a race. i know that in my first race i was very nervous of screwing it up, especially when i discovered the nice small field of 8 cars included dale but it was ok, however i'm still too chicken to try an oval race especially with the rolling startbut hopefully i'll take some bravery pills this next week and give it a try

the only problem compared to LFS that i find is the lack of blue flags, you have to watch your mirror and use F3 to work out if your about to be lapped.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I can cope with brain fade, its the deliberate wrecking and suicidal blocking that I get sick of, thats why I spend all my LFS time racing on CTRA, because the consequences of deliberate wrecking are high there.

There is a lot of wrecking on Iracing (for me anyway) this week as well. I guess it is due to the fact that safety ratings aren't being kept up with during the "13th week". Out of my 12 or so races so far, half of those I was wrecked out in the first few laps.

I'm still enjoying the game though. I just wished I would've had time to advance off my rookie status before the new season starts.
Quote from tinvek :...however i'm still too chicken to try an oval race especially with the rolling startbut hopefully i'll take some bravery pills this next week and give it a try

You must try it. Like you, I was apprehensive about trying an oval race but I took the plunge. The tension of a rolling start is fantastic and when you see the pace car peel off and the lights go green..... The sense of responsibility is as intense as hell. I only managed 15 or so laps before crashing out but my fingers had to be broken before I could let go of the wheel!

Quote from tinvek :....the only problem compared to LFS that i find is the lack of blue flags, you have to watch your mirror and use F3 to work out if your about to be lapped.

I've always felt that too much reliance was/is put on blue flags in LFS. One, it makes the lapper think it's his God given right to a clear track (it's not F1!) and it makes the lapee feel obligated to throw themselves in the scenery. You've given the answer yourself, just be aware of your position in the race and keep yourself informed.
Quote from Doorman :I've always felt that too much reliance was/is put on blue flags in LFS. One, it makes the lapper think it's his God given right to a clear track (it's not F1!) and it makes the lapee feel obligated to throw themselves in the scenery. You've given the answer yourself, just be aware of your position in the race and keep yourself informed.

here here!
Quote from Doorman :You must try it. Like you, I was apprehensive about trying an oval race but I took the plunge. The tension of a rolling start is fantastic and when you see the pace car peel off and the lights go green..... The sense of responsibility is as intense as hell. I only managed 15 or so laps before crashing out but my fingers had to be broken before I could let go of the wheel!

I love oval racing, the build up adds to the tension. But what till the legends are back on ovals, the 37 late models race I had last night was to advanced for me.
Woot woot, I'm about to have my 1st rated race. Mah goal is simply not to crash. I shouldnt have qualified so I wouldn't be so far up... 1st corner hell....
I just finished my first rated race a couple of hours ago. I finished 2nd (legends cup)!
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG