The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
apparently, a ton of us joined iRacing around august, so these deals keep popping up around this time. heh. I have been very busy with other things, i did about 1 race in the past 7 months or so in iracing... I will only get busier, but doing a full season in the Mustang sounds like fun. They havent NJMP yet either :/
So, I emailed support asking if they could re-send me the promo code for the $18 3 month deal. They emailed me a code, and despite it not being May anymore, it's still worked!

Will probably just whore the Solstice for a few days, then move onto something else
Quote from R34GTR :Will probably just whore the Solstice for a few days,

Incidentally, I wonder why there's so much hate against the Solstice. Ok the front looks too much like a Micra (the Opel GT is sexier), but it's a great learning/momentum car and fun to drive on twisty tracks. It sure lacks oomph but makes up with a nice enough growl so you know she's not just mucking around on those straights.

Anybody feels the same?
Anyone following iRacing on facebook may have noticed this,

Attached images
iRacing lol.jpg
Should hope so too, don't pay them $7/month for nothing
Quote from NightShift :Incidentally, I wonder why there's so much hate against the Solstice. Ok the front looks too much like a Micra (the Opel GT is sexier), but it's a great learning/momentum car and fun to drive on twisty tracks. It sure lacks oomph but makes up with a nice enough growl so you know she's not just mucking around on those straights.

Anybody feels the same?

Yes I agree with you 100%. There's some really good close racing to be had in it but it probably is tainted by some of the rookie happenings.

Though I wish it was the GXP/Turbocharged version. I'm wondering if iRacing is nervous about modelling forced induction; that's one thing I'd really like to see them tackle. Really hoping for a GT glass Porche twin turbo to mess with the Corvette one day.
I love the Solstice! And as far as I can remember, last time I was able to run mid 47's around Laguna which isn't too bad if I don't say so myself!
I also raced the Solstice a lot in the beginning, and found it a lot better than most other simcars on offer (in other sims). But once I picked up the Skippy and SRF I never looked back. The power steering really kills the FFB fidelity of the Solstice in my opinion. It handles well and the racing can be good, but the other cars just give me so much more.

Speaking of which.. does anyone know if the Mustang has power steering..?
The Jetta may be a dull car but races are fantastic.

Just had an excelent race with a full grid. Finishing 8th never felt as good as this.

Nice fight Bean0!
Quote from Gnomie :Speaking of which.. does anyone know if the Mustang has power steering..?

EDIT 2:

The answer is: yes it does, never mind the other BS I posted.
haven't tried the solstice since i left it almost 2 years ago but it would be interesting to see if the custom control option helps by turning the FFB up for it, failing that i used to make myself use the trick that the great LJK Setright used to use when road testing cars , such as the series 3 Jaguar XJ6, with overlight power steering, i.e. holding the wheel with finger and thumb tips rather than the whole hand. it has the effect of magnifying the information coming throught the wheel
Quote from Joris :The Jetta may be a dull car but races are fantastic.

Just had an excelent race with a full grid. Finishing 8th never felt as good as this.

Nice fight Bean0!

A most enjoyable race (apart from the 4x from being rear ended by that pink guy).

I think the fact that I recognised you when you said Hello meant that I trusted you more than the usual randoms, and felt comfortable going side-by-side.

Somehow managed a 2.14 in the race, a full 2 secs quicker than my previous best
How do you guys like the Jetta? I've lapped in it somewhat but never an official race. I like the idea of fixed setup races for one, and the car feels pretty decent for a FWD. It actually feels more lively than the Solstice and being FWD the feedback is more obvious.
.. I need to buy a year of iRacing.. if nothing more than something to do.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :How do you guys like the Jetta? I've lapped in it somewhat but never an official race. I like the idea of fixed setup races for one, and the car feels pretty decent for a FWD. It actually feels more lively than the Solstice and being FWD the feedback is more obvious.

Jetta =

In my book, anyway

Edit: Won my first race back last night in the Solstice, mainly because the guy in first boobed up But I'm running mid 1:03's so I'm pleased
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Though I wish it was the GXP/Turbocharged version.

Yup it would be nice having the additional 80 odd HPs. However they're not going to give the Solstice much space to stretch her muscles, just 2 tracks in rotation. It's like they're saying 'move over'.

Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :I'm wondering if iRacing is nervous about modelling forced induction;

Maybe it's just another of those problems they prefer to face later rather than sooner.

Quote from Gnomie :The power steering really kills the FFB fidelity of the Solstice in my opinion.

No arguing about that, it's really sedated. I wonder why they don't just dump the power steering IRL as well?

And in this specific case I wouldn't mind if they were to throw a bit of realism out of the window and just remove it from the virtual version.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :How do you guys like the Jetta?

Possibly the most boring car in any sim, ever.

(I'd rather drive the Solstice... and I despise that)
Quote from The Moose :Possibly the most boring car in any sim, ever.

(I'd rather drive the Solstice... and I despise that)

I wouldn't say that at all. It has some interesting off-throttle oversteer and does require quite a bit of finesse to get a lot of speed out of it. Plus, the races are clean and exciting.
Well by itself I could fall asleep driving it. In a race however it can be quite a bit of fun.
The Solstice is a great drive,Doesn't have the HP to mask errors which is part of the reason why I like it, an honest drive that lets the driver shine.

I love the Skippy but I still prefer the Solstice, vastly underated car, many see it as stepping stone to something better, I think its a lot more than that.

I don't like the Jetta, I would rather race my Fabia estate
Quote from JohnPenn :The Solstice is a great drive,Doesn't have the HP to mask errors which is part of the reason why I like it, an honest drive that lets the driver shine.

BTW yesterday I was doing some offline testing with it, and it came back to me that the thing I like the most about the Solstice is its throttle steer-ability.

Corners are all about being able to induce just so much oversteer at the correct time to exit the turn beautifully. Give a bit more throttle and you're drifting her ass along, a bit less and you risk understeer. I love that!
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG