The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from henrico-20- :
Good news for the Iracers! in this way you don't have to buy tracks/cars you earn the money by winning.

I have to pay for the cars/tracks, because I will never win..
Quote from Hyperactive :40 out of 960
(I think that's the way the tracks, I mean configs, are calculated nowadays. After all, 1 out of 6 sounds kinda "less" )

But you don`t race many tracks IRL reversed - do you..
Although Virginia is wonderfull reversed..
I am finding iRacing to be the worse standard of online racing I have ever played. It just seems to get worse and worse as I go along. I stay out of trouble and BAM! You get penalised for trying to win, and when you take it easy you get binned anyway,

I am trying my hardest to like iRacing. The physics are so good, and the track are great but waiting an hour to race, and then for it to be over, and to get penalised all in the space of 5 minutes is just annoying.

Worth the 1 month trial, but that's all it's worth. The amount of time and money to find decent races isn't worth it when I can find them in netKar and LFS without any cost!
Quote from Intrepid :I am finding iRacing to be the worse standard of online racing I have ever played. It just seems to get worse and worse as I go along. I stay out of trouble and BAM! You get penalised for trying to win, and when you take it easy you get binned anyway,

I am trying my hardest to like iRacing. The physics are so good, and the track are great but waiting an hour to race, and then for it to be over, and to get penalised all in the space of 5 minutes is just annoying.

Worth the 1 month trial, but that's all it's worth. The amount of time and money to find decent races isn't worth it when I can find them in netKar and LFS without any cost!

Trying not to sound like an ass here, but if you have 8.3 incidents average per race, the people you're racing against aren't the only ones you ought to critisize.

Granted, you are entered into very 'rookie-filled' fields, but 8.3 is just too much. The thing is, the worse you race, the worse fields you're going to be put in, and the worse your experience will be. (hence it's getting worse now as you're going along, you're in a bit of a downward spiral)

When I started with iRacing I protected my SR with my life for the first few races; I was scared to race hard and rightfully so in those fields, so I practiced a lot before heading out into a race, and if for whatever reason it went wrong on my side due to spins or off-track adventures, I'd head straight back to practice to iron out my difficulties with the track/car. Trust me, it's a different ball-game when you're racing peers in a 3k strength field, the standard is much, much higher there than most leagues in any other racing sim.

Bad stuff always happens though, some time back the leader was driving his broken car into the grass because he couldn't keep it under control, and no matter how much I hawked his movements and slowed down for the next corner to give him space to avoid an accident, I worked towards the accident beautifully and he eventually spun uncontrollably on the grass and slided right into me. So, I threw a hissy fit and got over it. It'll happen less in higher-rated fields, but it still happens.

Remember though, at the start you're thrown in with the rookies to prove your worth, and to prove that you can race with the cleaner drivers in higher quality fields. It's not entirely reasonable to expect solid racing in 1000 strength fields, that's like 600 below the starting iRating!
I couldn't give s sh1t about iRating or SR. That's all bollox imo. The whole system is SO unrealistic, and arcade like. I don't even know what my ratings are! It's so gimmicky! I go wide a tad trying to push and some stupid rubbish comes up about off track incident WTF? I am not breaking the rules in reality! I should be punished by a lack of speed doing this, or if I clearly have breached the rule book. Instead it's neither!

With a proper league system, and proper officials it would be MUCH better. Instead you get people cutting the corkscrew and slamming on the brakes coz of the slowdown command!

If you can be bothered to get through the boredom of rookie races than obviously the standard will rise, but I dont have the patience, nor money to do this. It has made me appreciate the work that private leagues do like the GPC, OWRL etc... SO MUCH more because if LFS had the same system as iRacing...

There's so much right about iRacing but it's let down by it's system. I would prefer proper leagues, with proper points, and proper officiating!
Quote from Intrepid :I couldn't give s sh1t about iRating or SR. That's all bollox imo. The whole system is SO unrealistic, and arcade like. I don't even know what my ratings are! It's so gimmicky! I go wide a tad trying to push and some stupid rubbish comes up about off track incident WTF? I am not breaking the rules in reality! I should be punished by a lack of speed doing this, or if I clearly have breached the rule book. Instead it's neither!

With a proper league system, and proper officials it would be MUCH better. Instead you get people cutting the corkscrew and slamming on the brakes coz of the slowdown command!

If you can be bothered to get through the boredom of rookie races than obviously the standard will rise, but I dont have the patience, nor money to do this. It has made me appreciate the work that private leagues do like the GPC, OWRL etc... SO MUCH more because if LFS had the same system as iRacing...

There's so much right about iRacing but it's let down by it's system. I would prefer proper leagues, with proper points, and proper officiating!

You've not been around it long enough to see its worth, or you maybe never will, but the system works and its not going anywhere.

I'm not trying to argue. I'm just saying if you do give it the time it will come back to reward you in spades.
Quote from Intrepid :I couldn't give s sh1t about iRating or SR. That's all bollox imo. The whole system is SO unrealistic, and arcade like. I don't even know what my ratings are! It's so gimmicky! I go wide a tad trying to push and some stupid rubbish comes up about off track incident WTF? I am not breaking the rules in reality! I should be punished by a lack of speed doing this, or if I clearly have breached the rule book. Instead it's neither!

I think that's your view... Mine is very different and I really enjoy most things about the system. Thats why I like lfs AND iRacing! I guess iRacing isn't for you..... I honestly think in your brief time with iRacing, you don't fully appreciate the system or have really treated it for what it is. Instead you just want it be like others. As the post above said, I think you haven't had enough time to like it.

The reason I say the last comment is that for the first 3-4 weeks I had the same thought as you.... then I started to understand all the little nuances of it and how it worked to be able to gauge what I thought fully. As I said, now, I think it's great!

If you are looking for pickup races, go race on LFS for that moment

nicely put Jertje
Quote from StableX :I think that's your view... Mine is very different and I really enjoy most things about the system. Thats why I like lfs AND iRacing! I guess iRacing isn't for you..... I honestly think in your brief time with iRacing, you don't fully appreciate the system or have really treated it for what it is. Instead you just want it be like others. As the post above said, I think you haven't had enough time to like it.

The reason I say the last comment is that for the first 3-4 weeks I had the same thought as you.... then I started to understand all the little nuances of it and how it worked to be able to gauge what I thought fully. As I said, now, I think it's great!

If you are looking for pickup races, go race on LFS for that moment

nicely put Jertje

Well I don't think I will ever like the system. I fully understand why they use this system, but for me it's just wrong.

I have never been so dissatisfied with a sim. The only reason I am so annoyed because the actual physics/tracks are FANTASTIC (I would prefer original tracks but understand the laser scanning already existing ones short cuts putting in the little 'details'). iRacing is seriously good, well could be!

However, NetKar 1.0.3, KartSim, and LFS of course will be my 3 sims for the future so I am not too disheartened.
I have to smile when the pro iRacers come on like Born Again Christians. (with apologies to BACs) If you don't like it you haven't tried it long enough! We have seen the light! To each his own. The only ones that can justifiably be shot at are the ones that criticise yet HAVEN'T tried it and that goes for anything, be it games, cars, cakes, and those awful Swedish salt covered liquorice 'sweets'.
Oh, and I draw the line at homosexual practices, I know I wouldn't like that without trying it!
who's winning the radical championship?
Quote from Doorman :I have to smile when the pro iRacers come on like Born Again Christians. (with apologies to BACs) If you don't like it you haven't tried it long enough!

Yup, makes me smile too It's a load of bollocks statement. I'm aware of people there since beta that have all the content and are licensed to drive in all available "leagues" that are getting very bored of the whole thing.

I absolutely love hotlapping in it, but I'm not paying $xxx per year for a hotlapping sim. However much i like the physics and tracks the system just isnt for me. I'll see whats changed in 6 months time, though i fear it will never be the sim for me unfortunately.

@Gentlefoot. The only thing to do is bite the bullet and sign up. I'd recommend a 3 month package. That gives you enough time to asess it properly.
If you only go for 1 month you might get over excited by the newness of certain stuff, pay up for a year and end up regreting it. If you go for 3 months you can really see if the system is for you and if you still enjoy it then you know your probably ok to go for the year.

Gotta say, Radicals at Barber is bloody great. Doing mid 1.20s now. Only drawback? Only two races a day and one of them is at 2.00am
Stu, why do you enjoy hotlapping some sims?
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Stu, why do you enjoy hotlapping some sims?

I don't in any sims but iRacing actually. I'd rather be racing. Hotlapping the Radical is great, but with only one race a day in the UK timezone it's a waste of time racing, especially when you get punted off in 50% of races. I'd rather just test my skills against the clock, at least you only have yourself to blame when you f**k it up, and you aren't punished for it by the iPolice
I honestly hate the mazda. I've given it so many fair chances that I just don't want to drive it anymore.

I guess I'll do a few time trial sessions this season and gratefully accept my promotion...and hopefully the daytona prototype is going to be everything I want it to be.

If not, heres hoping we get a real car soon. I love open wheel cars (I thought) but pounding around the track in a full sized car is a really different experience.

I also hope the lotus will drive nothing like the mazda...

I'm not convinced I'm driving the same car I see in the videos tbh.

I get zero feedback from the wheel...and when I do countersteer I just shoot off the other direction into the wall. I turn in and I spin out, I counter steer and I impale the wall.

I can slide the skippy and the solstice and the radical...and the late model for days. The late model was a drift car in its second life I think...it just hangs the rear out as long as you want. The mazda...it bites your head off.

(I figured we needed a bit more on topic discussion then the same old argument)
I just compared the 1st page to the 140th page. It seemed like you guys hate iRacing less now.

What changed since page 1? Is it still $150+ per year?
Quote from spanks :I get zero feedback from the wheel...and when I do countersteer I just shoot off the other direction into the wall. I turn in and I spin out, I counter steer and I impale the wall.

I can slide the skippy and the solstice and the radical...and the late model for days. The late model was a drift car in its second life I think...it just hangs the rear out as long as you want. The mazda...it bites your head off.

For me it's the opposite. Sort of...

I'm horribly slow in the skippy, but don't have any problems countersteering it. The whole partial throttle mid corner all the time thing took a little while, but I'm getting quicker, both in lap times and in keeping the rear in check. The Mazda I don't feel like I ever have to countersteer... I just make sure I've got a good exit angle and punch it. I love the thing!

What set are you using? Defualts or baseline?
i'm the same, the mazda feels like my fbm or fox setups do in lfs, unless i'm really stupid i can catch a slide and even provoke one if i need some extra turn in after over doing it and it almost never spins on me unless i'm silly enough to run over a kerb lor grass on full throttle. it also sems to be remarkably forgiving when your learning a circuit ( by that i mean when you have no idea which way next, not when your relearning one with a new car), you can miss your braking point and still manage to stay away from the scenary.
Quote from Doorman :I have to smile when the pro iRacers come on like Born Again Christians. (with apologies to BACs) If you don't like it you haven't tried it long enough! We have seen the light! To each his own. The only ones that can justifiably be shot at are the ones that criticise yet HAVEN'T tried it and that goes for anything, be it games, cars, cakes, and those awful Swedish salt covered liquorice 'sweets'.
Oh, and I draw the line at homosexual practices, I know I wouldn't like that without trying it!

Forums, to me, are for two things: gaining some kind of knowledge, and arguing with people on the internet!

It's not meant as an "I'm right and you're wrong" thing when I start replying to people, but I can't help myself and I love to chat with people about their ideas and arguments, I don't see it as particularly destructive or defensive.

I've said plenty of times that the sim isn't for everyone, and that it has its flaws, but I still reserve the right to argue with people on their points

Quote from spanks :I honestly hate the mazda. I've given it so many fair chances that I just don't want to drive it anymore.

I thought it was alright for Road America and Silverstone, but I'll see a cold day in hell before I race that thing around Limerock in a full grid. It's a bit like telling a group of kids to go play in a minefield. I honestly can't see why they put that track on the calendar for such a fast car, I'd want to start off pole for any race there, and I'm just not fast enough in the Mazda to pull that off reliably.
Quote from Jertje :Forums, to me, are for two things: gaining some kind of knowledge, and arguing with people on the internet!

It's not meant as an "I'm right and you're wrong" thing when I start replying to people, but I can't help myself and I love to chat with people about their ideas and arguments, I don't see it as particularly destructive or defensive.

I've said plenty of times that the sim isn't for everyone, and that it has its flaws, but I still reserve the right to argue with people on their points

And you're quite right, but there are contributors that cannot seem to accept when someone says 'I don't like it'. Intrepid has stated quite categorically that he doesn't like iRacing but he's regaled with 'Keep trying it until you DO like it' I've only come across this 'evangelical zeal' in regard to iRacing.
At least here is one LFS forum thread that hasn't resorted to flaming.

@The Moose: Wise words.
Quote from Quint999 :You've seriously got to be kidding with that statement.

Doorman never kids... he just has them (sorry Ron )
Quote from BullHorn :I just compared the 1st page to the 140th page. It seemed like you guys hate iRacing less now.

What changed since page 1?

I think since then most of us who've tried it and didn't like it have said so and buggered off to do something else.
Quote from Quint999 :riddiculas

:insane:

Guess that's the brother of Legolas played by Vin Diesel.
I've dropped out of pretty much all sim racing so I'm not biased. LFS is a dead fish and same goes for iRacing too - it's going nowhere in my eyes.

Boring yet expensive content, non-existing social community with faceless and nameless opponents with forced schedules kill it for me. The SR system is a good innovation nevertheless and hopefully future sims integrate such a feature too.

I'd probably give iRacing another go if I'd be given an option to customize my starting package.

For instance, oval tracks are waste of time for me, so why can't I exchange the oval for a different track in my starting package? Or if I'm not into Skippy racing, why can't I exchange it for a Radical when I purchase my yearly subscription?

Would it be too much to ask if there was two schedules running paraller (what's the correct word?) with a 15 or 30 minutes between them?
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG