iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
I just started playing with the iRacing trial.

Are there any replays? Where can I find the top lap times for car track combos?

And finally how do I get into some kind of race?
to go to replays you have to click the gray bar where it says "events" then below it, you'll see replays. click that.

You have to save a replay in the first place, though. or download one.
Hosted racing kicks ass

The only thing that kind of sucks right now is it is heavily weighted towards ovals whenever I check...but lots of people are active and there are many really awesome combos to just hop onto and race with other people.

Overall a huge improvement to the service.

Also sorry Ant not quite sure how I didn't make the connection the first time
Quote from Gabkicks :it was a vid of dave losing it, right?

Correct. I decided to remove my videos regarding physics complaints etc since they've been up long enough, and are now out of date. Plus I look like a spoil sport who crashes all the time.

Man I can't wait for the corvette, I just hope it's as good to drive as it looks and hopefully will sound!
Quote from somasleep :I just started playing with the iRacing trial.

Are there any replays? Where can I find the top lap times for car track combos?

And finally how do I get into some kind of race?

Go into the stats and you can see the WR's. As for replays, you can save your own or people post them, just check out the forums.

It's week 13 at the moment, inbetween seasons. You can race the Spec Racer Ford and the Legends in an official race, I would suggest you do this pronto so you can get promoted to D before the start of the new season. You only need to compete in two official races for both the oval and Road, or four time trials. Try to be as clean as posssible to try and gain safety rating as well.

Being week 13 you can race for fun in all the other servers without it affecting your iRating or safety rating. If you have the content anyway.

Also hosted racing has just started so you can jump in any of those servers for fun races not affecting your Safety rating.

It's worthwhile reading the user guide and the Sporting code in the refernce section for more info.

Did you get the Radical trial? Just wondering if it's still useable?
Quote from AlienT. :

Did you get the Radical trial? Just wondering if it's still useable?

Yes, I have the Radica SR8. But I think I got this Oct 16th. I'm just now starting to try it.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VFGTB9VX

ROLLING STARTS IN ROAD CARS IN HOSTED RACING!

So awesome

I can't believe it has been possible this whole time and they haven't implemented it into the official series. Wtf
I'm really terrible at racing.

I put up a 2.00.xx using the Solstice Rookie car at Leguna after about 40 minutes of trying.

I'm going to have to find a replay to deal with the corckscrew. I have to slow to a crawl to manage it.
you'll get a feel for the car eventually. you may like the spec racer better since it has better force feedback than the solstice.
Quote from spanks :http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VFGTB9VX

ROLLING STARTS IN ROAD CARS IN HOSTED RACING!

So awesome

I can't believe it has been possible this whole time and they haven't implemented it into the official series. Wtf

spanks can you or any other american explain to me why rolling starts are so prevelant in road racing on your side of the pond? not being critical, just wondering why when most of the motoring world uses standing starts for most of it's racing
Quote from tinvek :explain to me why rolling starts are so prevelant in road racing on your side of the pond?

Perhaps to reduce incidents, and reduce the strain on the car parts. I assume the days of drivers doing a standing start sprint to their cars, strapping in and taking off for the start of a race are gone also. I think USA motorcycle races are still done using standing starts.
The Germans hosted a really great 45 minute Skip Barber race at Road America last night. 26 cars started, I eventually finished 11th but had got up to 5th by the half-way point. Pulled a great move all the way round the outside of the carousel but bit the dust Katherine Legge style entering the following flat-out corner side-by-side still on the outside.
Quote from JeffR :Perhaps to reduce incidents, and reduce the strain on the car parts. I assume the days of drivers doing a standing start sprint to their cars, strapping in and taking off for the start of a race are gone also. I think USA motorcycle races are still done using standing starts.

I would of just said for fun.

Quote from count.bazley :The Germans hosted a really great 45 minute Skip Barber race at Road America last night. 26 cars started, I eventually finished 11th but had got up to 5th by the half-way point. Pulled a great move all the way round the outside of the carousel but bit the dust Katherine Legge style entering the following flat-out corner side-by-side still on the outside.

Besides the "ouch" it sounded like alot of fun.
Funnily enough Star Mazda went back to standings starts last year, think it was to reduce T1 incidents (slower speeds), better startline spectacle and also training for standing starts maybe.
Quote from boothy :Funnily enough Star Mazda went back to standings starts last year, think it was to reduce T1 incidents (slower speeds), better startline spectacle and also training for standing starts maybe.

Is a standing start really that much of a spectacle to see? I would think rolling starts would be cooler, its a big pack of cars closer together at a much higher speed. I've never seen a standing start in person though, so its hard to tell without witnessing both.
Quote from DaveWS :I think once you've gotten used to the difference in or lack of feedback that a sim provides compared to real life the excuse of "real drivers can feel everything" no longer applies. I know for me that I feel as connected with the car in a sim as I do IRL.

When I started doing motorcycle trackdays last year and through this year in preparation for my first season of motorcycle roadracing at the club level, I found the amount of sensory feedback fairly overwhelming. I rode motorcycles on the street for 5 years and sim-raced for 5.5 years, and it was still something that took a lot of getting used to.

After being very close all year (control issues), I finally made it into my trackday club's advanced group this month, and I find I am able to push like I can in a sim without experiencing sensory overload. My physical endurance is a huge limiting factor, though. I've always been skin and bone. At 5'7" and 130 lbs, I obviously have a nice weight advantage, but I've never been athletic and I get tired very quickly.

I think a lot of the feel in simracing comes from memorization of the vehicle's behavior, for me at least. I'll go out and brake as deep as I want into the first corner and take it as fast as I want. If that ends up being too fast and I run off track or crash, I just restart. Eventually I back it off a little for each corner and, by virtue of taking every corner at the limit of grip, the line basically sorts itself out. If the vehicle gets out of shape, I'll probably lose it and restart at least a few times before I arrive at a movement that corrects the problem.

Obviously, this approach does not really work in real life. I can kind of determine the line by taking a corner at a slow constant speed and constant lean angle, but that doesn't really account for delays in actually getting the bike leaned over. It also does not account for the changes in line required for trail braking into and accelerating hard out of a corner. Likewise, because I can't just hit the restart button, I don't have that exacting learned response for what to when things go completey pear-shaped.

Once I actually get all that stuff figured out and I find myself taking corners close to the limit, though, I can feel every little squirm of the tires and every little bump. Knowing how to differentiate between a large and small squirms and bumps are the key.

IMO, there's nothing like it in simracing. You don't really get those small squirms that tell you you're getting close, only the big ones that tell you you went too far and it's time to react.

Quote from JeffR :Perhaps to reduce incidents, and reduce the strain on the car parts. I assume the days of drivers doing a standing start sprint to their cars, strapping in and taking off for the start of a race are gone also. I think USA motorcycle races are still done using standing starts.

At the start of this season, AMA (under DMG's new ownership) did rolling starts. Only after much complaining from fans (and maybe riders too) did they switch back to standing starts.

Quote from UncleBenny :Is a standing start really that much of a spectacle to see? I would think rolling starts would be cooler, its a big pack of cars closer together at a much higher speed. I've never seen a standing start in person though, so its hard to tell without witnessing both.

With rolling starts, you generally see a single-file line into T1. Otherwise, it's complete carnage.

Standing starts tend to mix things up a bit better and the slow speeds mean it's a bit safer to pass into the first corner. Also, the reduced certainty of where to brake for T1 at a slower speed adds to both the safety and passing opportunities. IMO, standing starts are potentially more dangerous because the field ends up getting bunched together so much more, but it ends up being safer because drivers tend to be more careful.
The best thing about iRacing is that you have to pay monthly.
This thing helps people to have real fun, racing without any drivers who crash you on purpose or just being stupid on track.

I just cant handle the drustration how people are dumb not to look at mirrors and just take the corner while im just passing them on the inside of the corner and they spun me out...

Im thinking of going to iRacing, cause LFS doesnt have that real racing kind of a feeling, just crashing and crashing...
Quote from count.bazley :The Germans hosted a really great 45 minute Skip Barber race at Road America last night.

Darn it, i missed that one. Skip races on the bigger tracks are a hoot.

@ spanks : tbh its not that good when your sat in a mazda doing 44mph around watkins. They need to introduce server side pace car speed settings me thinks.
Quote from D.Navickas :The best thing about iRacing is that you have to pay monthly.
This thing helps people to have real fun, racing without any drivers who crash you on purpose or just being stupid on track.

I just cant handle the drustration how people are dumb not to look at mirrors and just take the corner while im just passing them on the inside of the corner and they spun me out...

Im thinking of going to iRacing, cause LFS doesnt have that real racing kind of a feeling, just crashing and crashing...

Try S2. I won't say there aren't stupid people, but it's not exactly like the demo either.
iRacing site/forums are down for maintenance, that can only mean one thing.
Are you guys interested in having a hosted LFS event btw? We could determine what to race and where, and then narrow down some possible times and see what we can come up with, seems like fun =D
Quote from UncleBenny :iRacing site/forums are down for maintenance, that can only mean one thing.

- Allow SoftTH 1.09RC.

- Reduce occurance of Load Error 67 on certain XP installs.

- Fix long names overrunning in new F1 black box ahead/behind fields.

- Restored a force feedback setting back to the way it was, as it unintentionally changed how some member's force feedback feels.

- You can no longer share setups to drivers in different types of car.

- Show "Club" instead of "Team Members" in setup sharing.

- Improved initial fuel mileage estimate.

- Star Mazda's speedometer is recalibrated to match the shorter tires.

- Added some extra time to hosted lone qualify sessions to accommodate the out lap.

- Fixed the hosted session race’s to not cut off the last few laps before 4 hours has elapsed.

- Corvette C6.R is now available

- Dallara IndyCar is now available

Know issue: Setup sharing with just club members is not working. Is already fixed but did not make this update.
Quote from tinvek :spanks can you or any other american explain to me why rolling starts are so prevelant in road racing on your side of the pond? not being critical, just wondering why when most of the motoring world uses standing starts for most of it's racing

Well I'm not sure why there is more of a difference across the world, but in iRacing we mostly have cars that don't work really well for standing starts.

The solstice...0-60 in about a century
The skippy..such a long 1st gear very slow off the line
The old mazda..no wheelspin or any kind of exciting takeoff
The riley...jam the clutch in and out to get a better start than the other guy?

The radical was really the only car that had some acceleration off the line.

That and rolling starts are just fun. I agree that 45 mph around a giant track would suck haha.

I've done both rolling starts and standing starts in karting. The junior karts I ran did rolling starts because they had no beans and the clutches weren't made for aggressive standing starts. The higher power karts started at rolling starts and people didn't have enough talent to keep from wrecking the entire field so they moved to standing starts.

I'll tell you 60 mph into turn 1 3 wide with people directly in front and behind you is terrifying...Standing starts still got you to near the same speed but it was much more sorted out by then.

___

WOOOOOOoooooooo downloaded

Taking the vette to watkins brb ;D

WOW I'M BACK

The sound is gnarly. It backfires like mad too. Its got a real grunt to it. It has a big tendency to understeer, but then snaps into oversteer big time if you stand on it. I don't think this setup is too grand but it sure is fun haha.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG