The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from henrico-20- :i did a sugestion to the iracing devs,

i still have the starters package but when i want to buy a new car i also need to buy all the tracks to join the competition. that costs a lot of money.

i think it is a good idea to make a package with a car and the tracks for it's championship. and then somethink like 75% of the normal price. Now i get offers like 3 month membership for only 18$ but it would be nice if they did a offer like my idea.

The thing they need to do is to not use so many bloody tracks in the D class series. I'll repost what I said on the forums:

Personally I think all the D class roadies should double-up on the purchased tracks to control costs. For instance, buying Watkins then running the boot configuration and the cup configuration later on in the series. It allows people to run the series for half price essentially. Somewhat like the Spec Racer only less extreme.

1. Mid Ohio full no chicane
2. Sebring Club
3. VIR North
4. Watkins Glen Classic Boot
5. Lime Rock no chicane
6. Barber Short A
7. Laguna Seca
8. Sebring Modified
9. VIR South
10. Mid Ohio short
11. Barber Full
12. Watkins Glen Cup

That cuts the entry cost down from 120 or so to about 70. AND we get to run the little short configurations that seem unused. That initial bump up to a full season in D is the most expensive single moment in most drivers careers.

Also, Mid Ohio. Go watch. Nowz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsnp1ClexQg
I felt so happy. I did a full race with 0 incident points. Gotta boost my safety rating after ****ig with the skippy.
Video - Dallara on Mid-Ohio...

Great watch..
Do the series keep the same tracks each season?

I just wondering whether to buy the Late Model tracks or wait until I get promoted at the end of the month and get the Nascar Class C (I'll have an D Class SR 4 licence by then which will allow me to race in it).
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I felt so happy. I did a full race with 0 incident points.

Welcome to the club

I'm averaging 1.22 inc per race in 2010. Would have been nicer if I wasn't taken out by an idiot earlier in the season.

I'm going to try for ten 0 incident point races in a row...
I try not to worry too much about safety rating. If you just race prepared and focus you won't have many incidents anyway. I managed to go 6 in a row incident free when boosting my SR for Pro promotions, but I don't think I'd be able to do 10, without it ruining the fun.
On the topic of Shotglass vs the World. I do have a problem with the 3rd Mustang screenshot. Just look at it the car has no shine. Even LEGO bricks are better than that!

In the other shots it's less noticeable because there's more shanding, but the third one has basically none, so the car looks like a big, screaming Kodak red blot in the middle of the screen ...it's plain awful
Quote from DaveWS :I try not to worry too much about safety rating. If you just race prepared and focus you won't have many incidents anyway. I managed to go 6 in a row incident free when boosting my SR for Pro promotions, but I don't think I'd be able to do 10, without it ruining the fun.

To be honest I don't even think about it when I'm racing. First time i joined iRacing it was all i could think about and it totally ruined the racing for me. Now I just race and usually I end up with very few incidents. It would be great to get a run of ten incident free races, but that's never what I'm thinking about in the heat of the battle
When I stopped worrying about SR it went back up to 4.99 (only briefly mind :tilt. Unless you're actually an unsafe driver then there should be no need to worry about SR.

I suppose for the guys needing SR to get to the next license level in a hurry then maybe it's a bit different.

I remember the good old days when we had to wait 12 weeks for promotion, non of this fast track nonsense......when men were made of steel and cars were made of wood and all that......I remember when I used to have to sim race in a cardboard box by the side of the road, after working 26hrs a day down't pit!
cardboard box? thats nothing !!
i remember when i used to have to push toy cars around the track and send their position by carrier pigeon and wait a week to find out where the other car was, and before that we had dial up

+1 about SR

if you're a half decent driver i.e. one that no one tries to kick from a server in LFS (apart from when you go faster than the server owner), then SR shouldn't hold any worries for you unless you collect a huge amount of 1X for cutting the corners.

part of the problem that a lot have is that, just like in LFS, they drive the setup the fastest driver uses and their talent isn't up to it. even if they can drive it on a clear track, they can't cope with being needed to move away from their line to avoid another car
Can anyone advise me on what to do please? Buy the Late Models now, or wait until I get to D Class and go for the Silverados?
Quote from Xaid0n :Can anyone advise me on what to do please? Buy the Late Models now, or wait until I get to D Class and go for the Silverados?

Late Model is a great introducing to oval racing - infact I did not race that car (bought it later when i got in the 100% club) but jumped in the Silverado when my D license was above 4.0...It`s up to you to decide..
For those who don't know there is a broadcast race tonight, the final of the "GP Masters", where the top 20 qualifying iracers who entered will race against an F1 driver (Di Grassi) and the current Star Mazda champ leader for some pretty hot prizes.

The stream is at 21:30 GTM here: www.iracing.com/multimedia/live-broadcasts/

And we each have a paint job / colour assigned for the event:
I just drive too hard. And go off a lot. Focusing on a 0 incident race, lets me back off, race at 90% rather than 110%. So im trying to negate my SR freefall.
Quote from richard dk :Late Model is a great introducing to oval racing - infact I did not race that car (bought it later when i got in the 100% club) but jumped in the Silverado when my D license was above 4.0...It`s up to you to decide..

Well I like the small ovals, but I think I'd enjoy the larger ovals more, and I know the Late Models mainly use the smaller tracks, but I like the look of the car more lol. I'll have to see at the end of the month
Quote from DaveWS :For those who don't know there is a broadcast race tonight, the final of the "GP Masters", where the top 20 qualifying iracers who entered will race against an F1 driver (Di Grassi) and the current Star Mazda champ leader for some pretty hot prizes.

The stream is at 21:30 GTM here: www.iracing.com/multimedia/live-broadcasts/

And we each have a paint job / colour assigned for the event:

I'm tuning in! Good luck Dave.

10 minutes to go.. come join guys!
Are there C class races throughout the day as well? It seems all of the series only run at night unless I am mistaken. I bloody hope so!
Best of luck Dave !
di grassi failed large. at least from what part of it i saw.
Ouch.. that didn't look good Dave. He sure is fast for his age, but apparently has a thing or two to learn about race conduct.

And yeah, I was pretty disappointed with di Grassi and Daly. It seems they were just more or less thrown into this race without sufficient practice time. Which makes you wonder what the point of the whole event was, and why Dell even bothered sponsoring them with the prizes and all... I thought the idea was to have a "sim-racing vs real world show-off".

Oh well, it was entertaining to watch, so who am I to complain?
Hmmm, not good at all Dave. The yellow car ended up 3rd as well.

I watched the race and there were far too many incidents for the class of field that was driving. Unfortunately not much of an advertisment for quality sim racing TBH.

The later DWC race was top drawer though. Never mind you'll be in that next year with a bit of luck!
Quote from AlienT. :Unfortunately not much of an advertisment for quality sim racing TBH.

using a modified nascar game from 2003 might have something to do with that... :hidesbehi
Quote from mcintyrej :Are there C class races throughout the day as well? It seems all of the series only run at night unless I am mistaken. I bloody hope so!

a
No all the races stop at 3am GMT and don't start until 12 hrs later
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG