iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
I raced the legends yesterday, i started last....well in the bottom third, and pulled off just so i wouldnt be a T1 casualty xD But they were fun but i had no setup to drive to the max the car could give sadly. Seems damn fun though.
Almost like the V8 supercar only smaller :P
Legends are siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick. Ran a 53.9xx in race at Summit Point Jefferson Course just now
Down for maintenence.... Anyone know why and for how long? Facebook and Twitter are useless. I haven't had a chance to check web for a couple days till now.
I don't remember it being known why either. Was just wondering myself. I know about the one next Thursday, but not today.
They updated the 'down for maintenance' page with the reason....

Quote :It appears we suffered a partial power loss
in our data center.

We are experiencing a snow storm, but we do not
know if it is related

At this time, we are unsure why the redundant power
systems at the data center failed.

We are expecting that full recovery is going to require
braving the storm to physically be in the data center.

It is not uncommon for there to be hardware failures
when there is unexpected power loss. Such failures
might increase downtime.

We will keep you posted, but downtime could be multiple hours.

How dare they blame mother nature!

Well it's back up now.
Quote from S3ANPukekoh3 :thought I'd try iRacing today since it's only $12 for 3 months. 20 minutes later the entire server crashes, apparently not only can you not race but you can't test in single player mode at all. How often does this happen? It seems to be back up now but there are no 'rookie' servers at all. Starting to think this was a waste of 12 bucks. All up I worked out that it will cost about $820 dollars for all content plus sub fees... My god.

There are rookie series atm, Legends Road series and Street Stock series, but ignore the week 13 series for now, it will go back to normal soon.

Server downtime I'm not sure of, yea it sucks that you can't test offline (but I think there's a hack to enable that) because iRacing is based all from the central web-page which acts as a gateway to test sessions, online practice, time trials, qualy and race series.

But, you've only paid 12 dollars for 3months, and within a day you're already thinking it's a waste of money? Well I know I was definately not an advocate of iRacing in the slightest before I got it, but I didn't think it was a waste of 12$ for 3 months within 1 day..
Quote from BlueFlame :But, you've only paid 12 dollars for 3months, and within a day you're already thinking it's a waste of money? Well I know I was definately not an advocate of iRacing in the slightest before I got it, but I didn't think it was a waste of 12$ for 3 months within 1 day..

That isn't what he said, it's what you read into what he said.

He gets a cheap deal to try it out and while there he has a look at the cost of content and adds it all up and says my god. It's not easy to find out the cost of content unless you are a member.

S3ANPukekoh3, two things

1. you don't have to buy all the content and would be waste (in my mind) to buy it all at once anyway. To get the best out of it you should spend time concentrating on one or two cars at a time. Unless you are an alien that doesn't have to practice and learn cars/tracks.

2. You get discounts when you buy 3 or more bits of content in one go.
Quote from S3ANPukekoh3 :thought I'd try iRacing today since it's only $12 for 3 months. 20 minutes later the entire server crashes, apparently not only can you not race but you can't test in single player mode at all. How often does this happen? It seems to be back up now but there are no 'rookie' servers at all. Starting to think this was a waste of 12 bucks. All up I worked out that it will cost about $820 dollars for all content plus sub fees... My god.

Well, slightly different to a "server crash" when there's a problem at the data centre. I suppose if you compare it to having 500 servers as your sole server provider, it's 100x better I've only seen unscheduled maintenance a handful of times in the couple of years I've had iRacing.

You get 6 cars and 10 tracks free, which allows you to do the 2 Rookie series on both road and oval, without paying anything other than your subscription. I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to buy anything at all until they've done 1 season in the Rookie cars, and understand how things work in iRacing.

Of course, as with everything in life, you get what you pay for. I'm not in the habit of extravagant spending, and I'm certainly not wanting to give iRacing a lot of money, so I have wisely bought the minimum amount of cars and tracks to do the series I like to race in. As you can see from season 4 schedule, buying a track like Watkins Glen or Mid Ohio means you get to use it in almost every series, so although the $621.68 (20% off for 6 items) in content fees may seem a lot, buying a couple of the most used tracks will certainly mean you can get your moneys worth.

At the end of the day, it depends on what you want to race as well - you don't buy oval content if you're a road racer, etc. so unless you want to race everything under the sun, you don't need to spend too much.
Buying everything is 25% off. As is puts you into 100% club automatically.

Not advising anyone to do it though.
Seems there is no Corvette championship any more. Which means i cant race the C6 i paid for.
Quote from menantoll :
He gets a cheap deal to try it out and while there he has a look at the cost of content and adds it all up and says my god. It's not easy to find out the cost of content unless you are a member.

When you are using a deal on iRacing you are ALREADY a member. I don't understand this statement. The only difficulty he would have is because the servers were down...

E : nice to see you online anyway boothy, you're quick man!
Quote from BlueFlame :When you are using a deal on iRacing you are ALREADY a member. I don't understand this statement. The only difficulty he would have is because the servers were down...

E : nice to see you online anyway boothy, you're quick man!

Because you didn't read it apparantly. The statement makes perfect sense.
Quote from PMD9409 :Because you didn't read it apparantly. The statement makes perfect sense.

Meh I guess I didn't.

On a side note. Oxford Plains oval is shit. You could make a better oval on a car parking lot.
He is saying you can't really understand the price of iRacing until you become a member. By the guy getting the deal, he is now a member and now understands how much it truly costs. It's just a suckers scheme really.

And Oxford is boss in hosted because you can nudge people out of the way . That makes it crap of course for official sessions.
Quote from PMD9409 :He is saying you can't really understand the price of iRacing until you become a member. By the guy getting the deal, he is now a member and now understands how much it truly costs. It's just a suckers scheme really.

And Oxford is boss in hosted because you can nudge people out of the way . That makes it crap of course for official sessions.

I don't like the payment scheme as much as the next bloke, but fact is, it's just like LFS, people actually adore the product they just WANT to whine about SOMETHING.

Nevertheless I've been really ingrossed in oval-racing. My favourite combo so far is definately the street-stock at Charlotte, that should definately be permanent on the street-stock series schedule rotation.
Quote from BlueFlame :I don't like the payment scheme as much as the next bloke, but fact is, it's just like LFS, people actually adore the product they just WANT to whine about SOMETHING.

Then you agree with him, why argue with what me and he had to say? (I too have spent way more than I should have on content at iRacing but this fact does not make my defence of his observations any less valid)

Quote from BlueFlame :Nevertheless I've been really ingrossed in oval-racing. My favourite combo so far is definately the street-stock at Charlotte, that should definately be permanent on the street-stock series schedule rotation.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but I thought the street stock already runs at charlotte.

Personally, when I first started at iRacing, once I got out of rookie I ran the late models. Loved it. Purchased loads of tracks. Then I got to C class and tried out the trucks! Rarely race late models or short tracks now.

Do I blame iRacing?

No.

My own fault for purchasing in the moment instead of using my brain.

My point?

Yes iRacing can be expensive if you follow your heart and ignore your brain.

The marketing hype and scheduling is another kettle of fish altogether though. I don't even think about defending that shit anymore.
Quote from menantoll :

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but I thought the street stock already runs at charlotte.

They race on the Legends Oval more as of late. I looked and I guess they used to run Charlotte Oval with Street Stocks previously, but nothign that recently.
Quote from BlueFlame :They race on the Legends Oval more as of late. I looked and I guess they used to run Charlotte Oval with Street Stocks previously, but nothign that recently.

They ran Charlotte full oval week commencing 27/9/11 and before that 16/8/11. That's two weeks in 12. They ran the legends oval 2 weeks in 12 too.

Maybe because they ran the legends in week commencing 11/10/11 which is the closer it makes you think that they run it more than the full oval?
Legends oval SUCKS that's why it feels like they run it more.
Quote from S3ANPukekoh3 :this game has a real LFS feel to it IMO, kinda like half rfactor half lfs, I'm liking it after day 2. Just bought the ford v8 supercar which is pretty cool to drive, especially on laguna (although I can only test it). The only things I don't like are obviously the sub fees and paying for cars + tracks,

oh and those legends cars are absolutely HORRIBLE to drive. It's like trying to race a milk truck. Not much fun at all.

I don't really understand how this safety rating thing works? So far I've entered 2 races, crashed out in both of them. How do they calculate it? Atm its 2.3 for road and 2.5 for ovals...

It starts at 2.5 I believe, if you get incidents during a race (the green text at the top of the screen), if you have so many your SR will start to decrease, if you have clean races, it increases and thus you'll level up once you get to 4.99 iirc.
iRacing pay scheme is shocking and justs saps your money, but if you earn lots for doing not alot like i did when i bought alot of the stuff it doesnt really bother me
I like most of the stuff in the game, except for half empty road races, since everyone loves ovals?

Btw to earn lots with minimal work, get a job in the rail or construction.
SR is a measure of corners per incident (CPI) over your last couple of thousand corners. To promote you need you need to be 3.0 by the end of the season and have done your MPR, or 4.0 and you get promoted instantly. Read the sporting code to learn more about things.

Maybe you should try a decent setup for the Legend, those things are nimble so hardly a milk float...
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG