The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Jertje :Well, I didn't race Grand East last time it was up so I have no real experience around VIR (and I hate the track ;p) but I think I did a 2.14.9 in the couple of 'fast' laps that I managed a couple of days back.

I think I'll dedicate Saturday to practicing hardcore.

I like that red kitty
I don't think I had him Crommi :S
I think I had him but no idea which one is it, I already have plenty of people on my list
Quote from alland44 :Hillbillies scares the SHIT out of me
/REALLY HIDE !

EDIT :
But i don`t race the ovals - What are the chances that we`ll meet, then
(Okay - I like the long ovals - Not the perverted ones)

Just because I live in the south doesnt make me a hillbilly. Im actually a northerner re-located to the south. :P

We will meet, grasshopper, we will.

Im starting to do more than just ovals, just havent done a race yet. Im still trying to get my time down and get a little more consistent (sp?).

But, how can you NOT like South Boston Speedway or Martinsville?
New best time in the Solstice at Lime Rock 01:03.922. Just won my 2nd race ever, took the lead after 5 laps.
I've just had a bloody awful race. Going into T1 i was in the lead and then the guy in p2 came in far too hot and gave me no room causing me to spin which caused a massive pileup! Then later in the race someone left me room to pass on the inside and then decided to shut the door as I was alongside him. Grrr
Quote from th84 :Just because I live in the south doesnt make me a hillbilly. Im actually a northerner re-located to the south. :P

We will meet, grasshopper, we will.

Im starting to do more than just ovals, just havent done a race yet. Im still trying to get my time down and get a little more consistent (sp?).

But, how can you NOT like South Boston Speedway or Martinsville?

I like many racetracks - But speedways. NOPES !

That isn`t true. I like Lowes and Daytona

We will meet there, and you`ll suffer !!

Can suffer stand alone or do I have to expand my explanation ?
Quote from Crommi :I think I had him but no idea which one is it, I already have plenty of people on my list

Me too. I have no idea who all those people are mostly.

On a more serious note: it would be nice if we could attach, erm, notes to our "friends". I can remember nick names much better than real names.
I have a free invite I can't use feel free to PM if you want it.
Just had my worst race so far. I was leading from pole position and made a few mistakes, one time I ran off the track. But I kept the lead and a good pace, but the backmarkers were all terrible, they cost me at least 20 seconds.

One guy wanted to race me for 5 laps, holding me up constantly, and I had to pass him Mika style around another backmarker going 3 wide on the straight to get the inside line.

Then I come up behind him again, and distracted thinking he was deliberately trying to hold me up or something, I lost my braking and spun into the wall in turn 1. I reset in 2nd place, but despite setting a new pb (01:03.822) on the last lap I couldn't get back my lead.
I see one welcome change in the new sporting code for which some people had concernes about before. Now it is possible to skip (not buy) one car, that someone maybe don't have interest in, and still be able to earn the next licence in that next car if your SR is over 4.0. If you really want to race Racidal, now you don't have to buy both Skip Barber and Mazda, either of them is enough. Just keep this in mind when you're buying bunch of stuff and really want to save $15.
Quote from Misko :I see one welcome change in the new sporting code for which some people had concernes about before. Now it is possible to skip (not buy) one car, that someone maybe don't have interest in, and still be able to earn the next licence in that next car if your SR is over 4.0. If you really want to race Racidal, now you don't have to buy both Skip Barber and Mazda, either of them is enough. Just keep this in mind when you're buying bunch of stuff and really want to save $15.

Yeah, it's quite nice but it will be damn tough to get there and different cars add some variation. Let's assume that Radical will be B class car and you've just signed up and started as a Rookie, it will take minimum of 6 months to get into Radical assuming you'll have 4.0 SR the day you get C licence. Now keeping in mind how hard it is to get +3.0 SR on C-class, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Skippy is good for learning tracks since it relies on mechanical grip and Mazda could be good practise for racing with high downforce, just don't have much seat time in it as I'm focusing on Skippy season. But neither of them come even close to Radical's performance and taking that car to the limit is like watching a video on fast-forward.
Well after 2 races it's won me over for a year subscription
That's it I'm selling my G25 and CST pedals and getting a joypad! I can only do 1.05's last time I raced there.
You really don't want a gamepad, I am quite certain I will end up a middle aged man with claws for hands talking about my legendary iRacing days and how it welded my joints shut. I was actually putting ice on my hands after 3 races today, because I was pushing so hard to get into the 1:03s that I tensed up way too much. You can't relax on the straights either, because there is no real dead zone, so you need to steer to keep in a straight line.
Just had my first taste of Iracing - solstice and legends on limerock.

did about 1 hour of running in total, and first of all it didn't blow me away, and secondly I don't really feel a stronge urge to load it up again. It's good for sure but not special enough......if you don't mind. I'm downloading summit point and leguna, see if those will turn up my excitement.
Quote from JJ72 :did about 1 hour of running in total, and first of all it didn't blow me away, and secondly I don't really feel a stronge urge to load it up again. It's good for sure but not special enough......

Me too and my thoughts almost exactly. I don't know if it's because I haven't/can't tweak the views and controls to my liking.. maybe it's the 2 initial cars I find a bit uninspiring, but this just hasn't excited me like I was expecting.

I've been lapping both the Solstice and Legends around Laguna Seca and Summit Point (Short). There's certainly not much to fault with the physics model; it feels really good. But, I can't say that it feels better than LFS. Sence of weight is slighly better and colision detection is, but overall close to par I reckon. Graphics might be 'fancier' but I wouldn't judge them higher either as they're not as solid as LFS (there are some noticable clitches where the tyres meet road), and I definitely don't like the interface and displays at all, although I admit that I haven't spent hours tweaking things like I have for LFS. And I don't like the default racing view. Too much cockpit and not enough track. The sounds are better.

In the end though, I don't think iRacing provides the 'sandbox' feel LFS gives me, and I just don't have as much fun playing it. I like to shift+u to replay that moment from whatever angle I like. I like uploading people's skins and when I'm offline, I like just mucking with things. I don't think I can get the same satisfaction in these respects from iRacing.

Having said all that, I think that LFS has a really important lesson to learn from iRacing.
- A Structure.
I know that there are leagues etc, but LFS clearly needs to do more to promote competetive and clean racing for the masses. The sandbox approach leaves it aimless in many respects, with all these silly cruise and drift servers. It would benefit greatly from some sort of ranking structure to promote clean racing and so that drivers have something to aim for. CTRA achieves this to a small degree, but a structure needs to be integrated in to the game and not left to in-sim apps and leagues.

Anyway, my 2 cents are now spent...
Quote from farcar :Me too and my thoughts almost exactly. I don't know if it's because I haven't/can't tweak the views and controls to my liking.. maybe it's the 2 initial cars I find a bit uninspiring, but this just hasn't excited me like I was expecting.

I've been lapping both the Solstice and Legends around Laguna Seca and Summit Point (Short). There's certainly not much to fault with the physics model; it feels really good. But, I can't say that it feels better than LFS. Sence of weight is slighly better and colision detection is, but overall close to par I reckon. Graphics might be 'fancier' but I wouldn't judge them higher either as they're not as solid as LFS (there are some noticable clitches where the tyres meet road), and I definitely don't like the interface and displays at all, although I admit that I haven't spent hours tweaking things like I have for LFS. And I don't like the default racing view. Too much cockpit and not enough track. The sounds are better.

In the end though, I don't think iRacing provides the 'sandbox' feel LFS gives me, and I just don't have as much fun playing it. I like to shift+u to replay that moment from whatever angle I like. I like uploading people's skins and when I'm offline, I like just mucking with things. I don't think I can get the same satisfaction in these respects from iRacing.

Having said all that, I think that LFS has a really important lesson to learn from iRacing.
- A Structure.
I know that there are leagues etc, but LFS clearly needs to do more to promote competetive and clean racing for the masses. The sandbox approach leaves it aimless in many respects, with all these silly cruise and drift servers. It would benefit greatly from some sort of ranking structure to promote clean racing and so that drivers have something to aim for. CTRA achieves this to a small degree, but a structure needs to be integrated in to the game and not left to in-sim apps and leagues.

Anyway, my 2 cents are now spent...

Some good thoughts there. The structure then, I guess, is both iRacing's strong point as well as its weak point. You can't adjust your cockpit position and many other things that can be customised in LFS, but not in iRacing, because iRacing attempts to make a completely level field on the technical level. There's not really anything you can tweak at all besides your paintjob.

In the end, iRacing just aims to be something that LFS is not. Apart from that they both have solid physics, the sims are almost polar opposites I suppose.
Phew, 48laps of VIR Long done. Coincidentally as I was getting hungry, car ran out of fuel
Just finish (not really) my first ever race.

I qualified third (unexpectedly, I cut almsot 2 second after watching people drifting like mad through corners, so I just copied it and it seem to work), I get up to second in the race, everything fine but suddenly on lap three there's a huge shutter, the game freezes for two second and I'm in the wall.

race is not over so I can't check the damage on my rating yet (nothing much to lose maybe).

is it network related or something else?

and btw the driving experience is glowing on me a bit, the difference is in the finer feedbacks, where in Rf you will find the texture of the road a bit rough, in Iracing it's smoother and contains more information. The way the Solstice is driven reminds me a lot of the XRG, but a lot more forgiving.

edit: another point, the attitude online is more like a racing RPG...people seem to care too much about their safety rating and ain't actually "racing", the faster the driver is the more he like to hotlap on his own (lol), which sometimes leads to some overreaction in their car movement, for me I just drive it like in LFS and it's fine....no need to be too tense.
JJ I agree with your post but not the forgiving part. It is forgiving, but once your sideways it's WAY harder to save it then an XRG.

I use to not find it very interusting but slowly got more and more interusted as it is really good. You just need a goal to find it interusting. Right now my goal is to get a 1:03.9 @ LRP with the Rookie Solstice. I'm down to 1:04.5 so still got quite a bit of work. :P
Watching other drivers online can only work as a guide, there's only so much information that can be sent without completely choking up the server. Cars seem to be sliding a little bit more than they actually are. Basically just look where they go, not how they go.

Stutter you mentioned is related to own client and comp, I've experienced big pause like that once and it's not related to connection, none of the other drivers noticed any stuttering.

Btw, it's always best to finish the race than retire if you want to maintain SR, incidents are calculated per corner. On rookie series I think there's 3 resets available so you should be able to make it through even if you're few laps behind,
how long have you been on it?

I did a 1:04.5 today and I was surprised (I was expecting to be 3 second off pace and was doing the qualify, just hoping to see other lifeforms on this planet )

yeah when you get REALLY crossed with the Solstice it's hard, plus it is pretty fast too so the odds of hitting something is rather high, there's a difference between quali pace and race pace, I don't think I can drive 20 laps in hotlap mode without going off.

I'll see why the shuttering is happening before I will try another race though, that was totally out of the blues.
Quote from Crommi :Btw, it's always best to finish the race than retire if you want to maintain SR, incidents are calculated per corner. On rookie series I think there's 3 resets available so you should be able to make it through even if you're few laps behind,

Stupidity on my part, I assumed that it's hardcore no mercy land and retired.

My feeling the shutter is a bit sound card related, sometimes i get shutters like this in games with lots of effects, it's an onboard card and maybe it ran out of juice. all i remembered was a green car catching up underbraking.
That happens to me @ Laguna Seca at my dads. It gets stuck at the start and then stuck again at like T3 then its stuck for like 5 mins then i reappear in the wall. I get pissed. Punch the wall, wrap my knuckles so that I don't bleed everywere, and play LFS.

I don't play much. I do like 2 races a day for maybe a week now. But LRP only started this week. Last week it was the special events at Laguna Seca and Summit Point with the Legends and Solstice together. I get consistent 1:04.5-7's during races were I'm doin ggood. I've had some races were I start off with a 1:05.0 and then end up bearly hitting someone in front of me and it smudges up the front completly and then I can't see the curbs anymore so I end up slow during the whole race. My last race won was liuke that :P
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG