The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Doesn't the iR safety racing hold back Mitja? Surely if he's a danger on the track, all you have to do is progress in iR while he's still stuck in a lesser car?
Quote from Crommi :Braking point for T1 is between 3-2 markers, I'd recommend that you practise braking at "3" and then move little bit forward if it feels good. I tend to turn car little bit towards the apex so I can brake into the corner and have car positioned on the inside banking. Outside edges of this turn are really slippery.

also, assuming your using pedals, build up the brake preasure so the weight settles on the front, the difference is very pronounced between when the wheels lock if you build the effort gradually and if you just push the brakes, i'm generally crap at driving but i can get away with braking when the 2 marker dissapears behind the left hand screen pillar
Just found out that my time sucked because within 2 laps I took nearly 4 seconds off it. I'm in the 51s now, and I know I lost time on at least 4 corners, so I rekon a 50 will be easy. I find I do better chucking the car into the turns, but its not good for the tyres and I've just had my first meeting with a wall after I pushed too hard.
NOD32 v.2.x

1. Click on the NOD32 icon in the lower right of the task bar.
2. When the Control Center window comes up, expand the Threat Protection Modules list.
3. Click on the IMON item.
4. Click on the Setup button to Adjust IMON settings.
5. Select the Miscellaneous tab.
6. In the Exclusion box, hit the Edit... button
7. On the dialog box that pops up, hit the Add button
8. Navigate to the folder in which you have the iRacing software installed C:Program FilesiRacing, by default).
9. C lick on iRacingLocalServer.exe, and then hit the Open button.
10. Repeast Steps (8) and (9) for the other executables in the iRacing folder. They are.
C:Program FilesiRacingiRacingService.exe
C:Program FilesiRacingiRacingSim.exe
C:Program FilesiRacingiRacingLocalserver.exe
C:Program FilesiRacingiRacingChat.exe
C:Program FilesiRacingiRacingLauncher.exe
C:Program FilesiRacingupdateriRacingUpdater.exe

11. Reboot Computer

NOD32 v3.x

1. Left click on the NOD32 icon on the task bar,and select Advanced Setup..
2. Twist open the "Antivirus and antispyware" section
3. Twist open the "Web access protection" section
4. Click on the "Exclusions" line
5. Click on the [Add] button and Navigate to the directory in which you installed the iRacing software

6. Click on the iRacingChat.exe program to highlight it
7. Click the [OK] button on the "Add exclusion" dialog" to add iRacingChat.exe to the exclusion list
8. Repeat steps (4) through (7), adding the f ollowing additionalprograms:

iRacingLauncher.exe

iRacingLocalServer.exe
iRacing Service.exe
iRacingSim.exe

9. Repeat steps (4) through (7) once more for the iRacingUpdater.exe program, which is in a folder named "updater", which is within the directory where you installed the iRacing software.
10. Press the [OK] button to close the NOD32 settings window.
11. Restart Windows

What would you guys say is a respectable lap for the Rookie Solstice at Lime Rock. I've just ran 7 laps not knowing the track at all and managed to get down to a 1.06.2. I imagine you can get below 1.04's?

After 7 laps in the game I absolutely love it, the FF is absolutely sublime and the bumps on the track at Lime rock are amazing!

Now down to a 1.04.6
Having just held a slide down the corkscrew in the Rookie Solstice I have to say I am impressed so far. I just need to string a good set of laps together then I will look for an online race. So far I am doing consistent 51s and getting closer to the 50s every lap, but usually take a big risk to try and find my limit, which results in crashes.
Quote from SamH :Doesn't the iR safety racing hold back Mitja? Surely if he's a danger on the track, all you have to do is progress in iR while he's still stuck in a lesser car?

This will only start having a serious effect in the later license levels. Right now he's license D, which only comes after Rookie.
The higher you get, the harsher you get punished for incidents. Most C-class drivers don't lose or gain anything in a 15 lap session with ~4-5 incidents.
This means that a single spin (2x incident points) requires you to drive roughly 6 laps to make up for it.

Right now he's still getting away with it relatively well, but if he gets promoted to C next season he'll be having some serious issues with promoting any further if he keeps his current driving style.
Quote from richard dk :
NOD32 v3.x

1. Left click on the NOD32 icon on the task bar,and select Advanced Setup..
2. Twist open the "Antivirus and antispyware" section
3. Twist open the "Web access protection" section
4. Click on the "Exclusions" line
5. Click on the [Add] button and Navigate to the directory in which you installed the iRacing software

6. Click on the iRacingChat.exe program to highlight it
7. Click the [OK] button on the "Add exclusion" dialog" to add iRacingChat.exe to the exclusion list
8. Repeat steps (4) through (7), adding the f ollowing additionalprograms:

iRacingLauncher.exe

iRacingLocalServer.exe
iRacing Service.exe
iRacingSim.exe

9. Repeat steps (4) through (7) once more for the iRacingUpdater.exe program, which is in a folder named "updater", which is within the directory where you installed the iRacing software.
10. Press the [OK] button to close the NOD32 settings window.
11. Restart Windows

I did this during the quick setup guide but it didn't help. As I said above, I don't think it's a NOD32 problem because it works ok on my Windows XP machine which also runs NOD32. I think it's a Vista problem.
Quote from jaws99 :What would you guys say is a respectable lap for the Rookie Solstice at Lime Rock. I've just ran 7 laps not knowing the track at all and managed to get down to a 1.06.2. I imagine you can get below 1.04's?

After 7 laps in the game I absolutely love it, the FF is absolutely sublime and the bumps on the track at Lime rock are amazing!

Front runners will be running 1.03 but I didn't put in enough laps to get there, 1.04's were enough for podium. Consistency and solid performance wins the day.

I'm glad you're liking it, I was worried we had been overhyping the driving feel just because we're so excited about the whole thing
I'm entered in the Lime Rock Solstice race starting in 4 minutes, only got down to a 1:06 but I am okay to race cleanly methinks. The idea is just to lap cleanly so I know what the online racing is like, I won't even try to push hard or do decent lap times, although I will probably still crash.
Fixed the problem (so far anyway, now it's updating...), using this post on rsc.

Another solution:
1. Open ESET NOD32 Antivirus by double-clicking the small icon in the right-hand side of the taskbar.
2. Toggle Advance mode by clicking on the bottom left corner of the NOD32 window; and answer "yes" to the pop-up window!
3.Push "F5" to see the complete setup tree!
4. Look on the left side from the Top:
Antivirus and antispyware -> Web access protection -> HTTP -> Web browsers
5. Look for your web browser (i.e. Internet Explorer, Firefox...)!
6. Click on the box left to its name until it shows a little red cross!
7. Click OK!
8. Now refresh the iracing website in your browser and the service should show up green and active!
1.03.9! I've only done 19 laps at the combo. Still too early to race though, making a lot of mistakes from pushing like a maniac.

Absolutely loving this so far though, and hard to beleive im less than a second behind the best drivers.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I'm entered in the Lime Rock Solstice race starting in 4 minutes, only got down to a 1:06 but I am okay to race cleanly methinks. The idea is just to lap cleanly so I know what the online racing is like, I won't even try to push hard or do decent lap times, although I will probably still crash.

Thats all you really need to do anyway. Race clean, be as incident free as possible and your SR will rise. Your 1:06 beats my 1:08
Quote from jaws99 :1.03.9! I've only done 19 laps at the combo. Still too early to race though, making a lot of mistakes from pushing like a maniac.

Absolutely loving this so far though, and hard to beleive im less than a second behind the best drivers.

That's really good. My quali lap was a 1:04.8 I think but I think I can get in the low 4s not sure about 3s because I'm usually a bit carefull for my Safety Rating. I'll try TEST sometime and see what I can get from pushin like a maniac. :P
2nd place in my first race, but I really should have won it easily. There was a big crash because a noob spun trying to rejoin the track, I thought I avoided it but for some reason the guy who hit the spinning car swerved into the side of me. That gave me bad damage, but I got myself up to 2nd place. Then stupidly ran wide when trying to overtake the leader round the outside and spun off. I fought back to within 5 seconds of the leader at the end.

On the whole a great first race, but it could have been a lot better.
I think I'll have to join you guys tomorrow for couple races in Solstice Madness.
We need to compile some sort of list for all the forumers with iracing. I'm Ben Grindle and you should recognise me easilly in the pink car
Well I'm taking a little break, that race was quite tough once I picked up damage, because I lost a lot of time on the only left hander. I was suprised how slow everyone was, I guess its because of the rating system matching up with slow guys. But the funny part was the highest rated guy was the one causing all the trouble.

Anyways, I have got some footage, of my first race and of my practice attempts and Laguna, so I am taking a time out to edit those into a video.
Quote from jaws99 :We need to compile some sort of list for all the forumers with iracing. I'm Ben Grindle and you should recognise me easilly in the pink car

Pink is more common than you'd think, I call my LM paintjob "strawberry cow". It has cow skin pattern with some pink flavor.
If there is anyone who wanted an invite but didnt get one, let me know. They sent me one even though Im already a member.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :2nd place in my first race, but I really should have won it easily. There was a big crash because a noob spun trying to rejoin the track, I thought I avoided it but for some reason the guy who hit the spinning car swerved into the side of me. That gave me bad damage, but I got myself up to 2nd place. Then stupidly ran wide when trying to overtake the leader round the outside and spun off. I fought back to within 5 seconds of the leader at the end.

On the whole a great first race, but it could have been a lot better.

Is it working out alright with a joypad then?
Very well, just need to be a bit more careful than LFS but its nowhere near as hard as GPL or GTL. I'm entered in the 11pm race at Lime Rock in the Solstice, not qualified, just hoping to have a safe race and not get caught up in someone elses accident again.
Oh, before I forget... Samuli, what do you use to edit just your pedal movement into your videos? do you fraps the lap twice with both interfaces and then crop one of them down to just the pedal activity? I thought it looked really neat and clean
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Very well, just need to be a bit more careful than LFS but its nowhere near as hard as GPL or GTL. I'm entered in the 11pm race at Lime Rock in the Solstice, not qualified, just hoping to have a safe race and not get caught up in someone elses accident again.

I thought that GPL was a little more forgiving then LFS. GTL is even softer.
just downloading iracing now...576MB of updates seem to be taking forever
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG