The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
I think 90% of the "problems" with the cars are down to the tyre physics modelling. I think with the V8, the modelling of the combined slip for the tyres (it seems to me lateral grip is fine, but longitudinal grip isn't affected as much as it should be at high lateral slip angles. In the DP it's much much worse though, you can exit corners completely sideways full throttle, and not lose any traction at all), and perhaps the torque effect on the lock diff is too great, but I'm just speculating. I really like driving the V8 though, it has character and requires good throttle and car control. I don't think it's half as bad as some people think either. I think the Indy Car is much more broken (though it feels brilliant with high tyre pressures, which reduces overall grip, but in the current tyre model loosens up the peak slip angles a fair bit).

TBH, I think the most convincing car to drive at the moment is now the Formula Mazda, which is funny because I used to hate it before the most recent tyre update to it.

Edit: What do you think is wrong with the V8 Andy? Is it the way it has more oversteer in right handers compared to left, or the corner entry understeer? Or the exit oversteer? These are all down to the locked diff.
I think 2 of the cars that feel the least broken at the moment are the Mazda and the Vette, which is interesting as you said Dave, since they seemed to have the most problems before the recent updates. Now they feel up there with the most realistic!

E: I really hope they get the Williams right. The Indycar feels way off in my opinion, not that I really have licence to comment having never driven one in real life, but I see Indycar drivers holding slides and catching the rear all the time, especially around street circuits. It's just not possible to do the same kind of thing with it in iRacing at the moment! The Formula One cars look quite catchable when watching on TV but then again the F1 drivers have the seat of their pants feeling that we won't have in a sim.
Quote from Gills4life :E: I really hope they get the Williams right. The Indycar feels way off in my opinion, not that I really have licence to comment having never driven one in real life, but I see Indycar drivers holding slides and catching the rear all the time, especially around street circuits. It's just not possible to do the same kind of thing with it in iRacing at the moment! The Formula One cars look quite catchable when watching on TV but then again the F1 drivers have the seat of their pants feeling that we won't have in a sim.

Totally agree, I'm really looking forward to that, probably more than any sim car yet. I really really hope it has a tyre model closer to the Mazda than the Indy Car too.
Quote from DaveWS :What do you think is wrong with the V8 Andy? Is it the way it has more oversteer in right handers compared to left, or the corner entry understeer? Or the exit oversteer? These are all down to the locked diff.

yeah, in the real car, the understeer isn't like that at all. There's a lot more grip to the car. I didn't find the oversteer different turning left to right either.....

I think you're a lot right about the tyre modelling. With that not right, it will really throw out the car handling. However, if you look at the setup screens, they seem more comparable to the impala than you'd expect on the V8, no?
I agree the Mazda is a whole lot better than it was, but it's still is liable to just snap away with no warning. Still, it's better than most cars in iRacing.

The Skippy still feels like the most perfect car in the sim. The Radical is right up there as well now.

As for the V8... you only have to watch the in-car shots of the real thing and see how those guys drive them to know something is very wrong in the sim.

Let's hope Dave pulls his finger out and gets the new tyre model finished soon, along with the transmission and some attempt at damage modelling.

iRacing may well update their sim regularly, but not a lot of real substance, car wise, has been done for a very long time now.

Kunos gets things done quicker, and that's saying something!
Quote from StableX :yeah, in the real car, the understeer isn't like that at all. There's a lot more grip to the car. I didn't find the oversteer different turning left to right either.....

I think you're a lot right about the tyre modelling. With that not right, it will really throw out the car handling. However, if you look at the setup screens, they seem more comparable to the impala than you'd expect on the V8, no?

A lot of, if not all the entry understeer can be dialled out with some setup changes. The default setups have absolutely terrible understeer. If you decrease front springrates, increase front bump and rear rebound, it cures a LOT of that. Possibly increase the rake too (lower the front rh and raise the rear rh), but you don't want to increase the on throttle oversteer too much.

I agree with you to an extent about the setup options, though fundamentally the car shares a lot of similarities with a stock car anyway. But it's silly we don't have a rear wing adjustment.
Mid-Ohio and Mustang screen shots
Attached images
iRacing_midohio_fr500s_1 (1440 x 844).jpg
iRacing_midohio_fr500s_2 (1440 x 844).jpg
iRacing_midohio_fr500s_3 (1440 x 844).jpg
iRacing_midohio_fr500s_4 (1440 x 844).jpg
iRacing_midohio_fr500s_6 (1440 x 844).jpg
Stunning.
hm i wonder when the iracing texture guys will finally look outside for once and fix the colour palette
Quote from Shotglass :hm i wonder when the iracing texture guys will finally look outside for once and fix the colour palette

Have you measured and calibrated the color output of your monitor and video card with a colorimeter? At least the texture guys have.
they have?
It's not perfect and lacks depth and contrast, but IMO each track they release has ever improved textures and colour. The detail is fantastic.
Quote from Gabkicks :they have?

Of course. Kirill Kryukov posted this a while back in response to criticism of grass and sky textures:

"The grass appearance depends a lot of a season, how long ago it was watered and an angle the sun rays come through grass blades. It doesn't have some only right color. It's always something in a scope of possible. Many games have the grass and other textures too dark imho that kills a general feeling of lighting.

p.s. Colors may vary a bit in real life but if you see the sky “too blue” you definitely need to calibrate your monitor. Many pc monitors and even expensive TVs come way over-saturated nowadays to attract buyers. The only way to see actual colors is a colorimeter (color calibrator)."
.. worst part of iRacing..
I bought Watkins Glen today, and forgot about it.

I am slowly amassing enough tracks to be able to do a full season in class D and C in both cars.
Quote from Liff :Have you measured and calibrated the color output of your monitor and video card with a colorimeter? At least the texture guys have.

the tft i use at work is profiled and has more or less the full adobergb gamut so i should get perfect srgb colours (albeit with a little bit of banding) on srgb jpegs and at home i use an uncalibated and unprofiled crt which without calibration should still give me reasonably good srgb colours by default (yay for crts) and on both iracing screenshots look equally awful in terms of colouring
Have you had an eye test lately? Maybe it's your eyes that are at fault?
well im certainly not colourblind
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Have you had an eye test lately? Maybe it's your eyes that are at fault?

Rofl maybe stop bagging on him?

The graphic artists have expressed many times that there are a lot of things missing from the sim, and it really needs an overhaul.

The mid ohio shots look really pretty nice though...not sure what your problem is with those.
I've never seen any sim that has got the colours right yet.

At least iRacing hasn't gone for the garish colours of the simbin games/most rFactor tracks.

I think the major factor in all these sims is the lack of decent lighting.
Jeez, your a hard to please bunch!

Anyone racing in the 22:30 gmt Radical/DP race? Or does that series have too many bugs for you?
Quote from AlienT. :Jeez, your a hard to please bunch!

Anyone racing in the 22:30 gmt Radical/DP race? Or does that series have too many bugs for you?

The thing is, the flaws in the tyre model are only really apparent to those that are driving on the limit, so you probably haven't noticed them

I'd love to be racing the Radical, but im not buying another car i dont want just so i can take part.

I'll be in the Radical next season though, no doubt about it Love that car.
Quote from The Moose :The thing is, the flaws in the tyre model are only really apparent to those that are driving on the limit, so you probably haven't noticed them

I'd love to be racing the Radical, but im not buying another car i dont want just so i can take part.

I'll be in the Radical next season though, no doubt about it Love that car.

You may have a point there Moose lol ya bugger!

The Radical is certainly my favourite car. I find the DP not bad as well, it's quite easy to drive, that'll be why!
i did a sugestion to the iracing devs,

i still have the starters package but when i want to buy a new car i also need to buy all the tracks to join the competition. that costs a lot of money.

i think it is a good idea to make a package with a car and the tracks for it's championship. and then somethink like 75% of the normal price. Now i get offers like 3 month membership for only 18$ but it would be nice if they did a offer like my idea.
Quote from henrico-20- : i still have the starters package but when i want to buy a new car i also need to buy all the tracks to join the competition. that costs a lot of money. i think it is a good idea to make a package with a car and the tracks for it's championship. and then somethink like 75% of the normal price.

You don´t have to buy all the tracks. When you buy a car and two tracks for example, you get a 10% discount, or buying 6 items at once a 20% discount. When the series is at a track you don´t own, you still can compete in one of the rookie series.
Quote from DaveWS :Stunning.

Quite so, those screenshots are probably the best I've seen of iRacing so far.

Come on, someone post some screenshots of the XRR at Aston to compare so we can have some laughs
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG