The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
I did the 1am race as well, previous race at 12 I raced with NASCAR driver Brad Keselowski. Anyways, back to the 1am race, not only did I get to race with Brad again, I also got to race with Dale Earnhardt Jr (as well with TJ Majors if any know him). But yeah, good fun, I have raced both before while in beta, but since you brought up the 1am race I had to bring up this info .

BTW, don't feel bad about your race, I honestly don't even look at the iRating and what not, as long as you do decent no matter how many races you do your rating will go up.
Attached images
iRacing_Sweet grid!.JPG
That's awesome PMD

P.S. Thanks for the invite I owe you.
I'm actually quite glad I didn't get my invite last night as i'm struggling for cash at the moment, the subscription might have finished me off!

I'm quite suprised by the good reviews too, I thought it would get slated to bits, but am I the only one who finds the incident points stupid? Someone spins off right in front of you with 0% chance of avoiding them and you get penalised for it!? If you can't implement a feature without proper support for it, then what's the point...
Quote from jaws99 :I'm quite suprised by the good reviews too, I thought it would get slated to bits

Thankfully most people who have used it so far are not blinkered fanboys that can't see past LFS.......

iR is a good sim, but as I have said before, a very different, and very expensive one, I am sure that people who have the time to commit to it will get a lot from iR.
Quote from DarrenMarsh :I just looked at the results of that race you were in and there was a guy who got 28 incident points in 13 laps. That's the kind of guy I'm talking about

I still think the race format is very wrong, the grid is too small, the race too long and given the stats and current lack of races there is an incentive not to retire. Driving round for 20 minutes in a car that is a handful on the straights trying to avoid other equally damaged cars isn't fun. I think if it was a 10 minute, 20 car race with more frequent races most people would finish and those that don't would likely just park it rather than becoming an pain for everybody else.
Quote from jaws99 :I'm actually quite glad I didn't get my invite last night as i'm struggling for cash at the moment, the subscription might have finished me off!

I'm quite suprised by the good reviews too, I thought it would get slated to bits, but am I the only one who finds the incident points stupid? Someone spins off right in front of you with 0% chance of avoiding them and you get penalised for it!? If you can't implement a feature without proper support for it, then what's the point...

It doesn't matter who is at fault for an individual incident if you get more frequently 'taken out' or in more incidents you 'can't avoid' then chances are you're half the problem, pushing too hard not backing off when things start to go wrong in front of you.

Does anybody know what the rookie rating is based on, I only seem to have one rating atm is it performance or safety or both? and do I go up a level when I get it to 5?
Does anyone feel like posting up a screenshot or two with full graphics settings?
Quote from Electrik Kar :Does anyone feel like posting up a screenshot or two with full graphics settings?

Or/and an onboard video?
I'm on dial-up, probably not a good idea

Just a nice big high res pic, all bells and whistles.

Static screens I've seen usually haven't looked that great, I'm wondering whether that's just because of somebody's low settings. I can appreciate that things might look better when in motion though..
Could anybody post a setup screen from IRacing and describe how does this changes really fell on the track?
Textures are not so colorful if you compare to GTR2 for an example, but attention to detail is quite amazing, especially on cars. Overall style is very concervative and graphics are not overloaded with special effects. Interior shadows look pretty neat but can be bit of a resource hog if used higher settings. Sounds are pretty damn decent too, driving Legends Ford is so much fun.

At max settings and 1280x960, 4xAA, 16xHQAF I get ~30fps, but reducing shadow quality bumps it up to ~50fps.
Specs: C2D E6750, 2Gb ram, x1950Pro@XT
Hm, still contemplating when I should sign up. Real Life ist just so busy atm that I feel I wouldn't really get all that much out of my 20 trial bucks. On the other hand I'd of course know rather sooner than later what iRacing really is like... Ah, decisions...

On the topic of gfx: anybody got a comparable system to mine and can tell me what framerate I could expect and how the Game would look? I got a C2DE6300@2.4GHz, Asus P5B, 2x1GB 667 CL5 Ram, 7600GT XXX. I would definitely want to run the game at full res, which would be 1.680x1.050.
Quote from danowat :Thankfully most people who have used it so far are not blinkered fanboys that can't see past LFS.......

Wait till (if) i've tried it
Quote from ajp71 :Driving round for 20 minutes in a car that is a handful on the straights trying to avoid other equally damaged cars isn't fun.

Shift-R. Hey presto, no more damaged car. I hope they take it out and replace it with working pitstops soon though

I agree that it needs more races and larger grids, but I think the race length is good.

Quote from ajp71 :Does anybody know what the rookie rating is based on, I only seem to have one rating atm is it performance or safety or both? and do I go up a level when I get it to 5?

The SR rating that you can see is based on incidents only. It's based on average corners per incident.
Slight change of mindset - After this weekend's racing, I've got something like 5 or 6 weeks 'free' to do as I please with. A lot will undoubtedly be taken up my real life stuff, be it fiddling with racing cars or doing laundry, but I'm hopeful that for some of the time I'll be able to get in some LFS and sim racing action again! Woot!! My G25 is starting to cry with joy and the prospect...

Anyway, I'd like to try iRacing during this time (as I won't have free time otherwise). If I can manage to find someone who has still got betatester handouts can I still get in on the first wave, or am I committed to waiting for the wholly public release now?
I got an access code last night but I have no intention of subscribing to the release product. Do I need to enter card details to sign up for the month's free trial? Beause I hate systems like that.
Wasn't aware there was a free trial...........
@Dajmin:
What they call "trial" still costs you $20.
Quote from tristancliffe :Anyway, I'd like to try iRacing during this time (as I won't have free time otherwise). If I can manage to find someone who has still got betatester handouts can I still get in on the first wave, or am I committed to waiting for the wholly public release now?

Have a look at this post over at RSC:

http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=322570

First wave is over, but if you've registered on the iRacing site you might be in the next wave is what it says.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Or/and an onboard video?

http://www.grentis-racing.de/iracing_VIR_Skippy_Cockpit.avi

Quote from Electrik Kar :I'm on dial-up, probably not a good idea

Just a nice big high res pic, all bells and whistles.

Static screens I've seen usually haven't looked that great, I'm wondering whether that's just because of somebody's low settings. I can appreciate that things might look better when in motion though..

Quote from tristancliffe :
Anyway, I'd like to try iRacing during this time (as I won't have free time otherwise). If I can manage to find someone who has still got betatester handouts can I still get in on the first wave, or am I committed to waiting for the wholly public release now?

Take a look in this Thread: http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=322570
I wonder.... will it work with softTH?
Registered on their website about an hour ago for 'updates'... Just got to wait then I guess. Hope I get access before my free time is over - that would be annoying.
I don't know, i think LFS could seriously look like that.. It only needs more polygons on the cars, track enviroments and everything looks just like LFS with high-res packs.. The colors and ambients are really kinda the same like LFS, which is a good thing, not cartoonish like many other titles..
The cars themselves look nice but I'm a little disappointed with the textures.

If you ask me, EK's pack for LFS are way better. A lot of it looks flat and lifeless, especially with the photos there to compare it with. But the car models are really good.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG