The online racing simulator
ciph - you surprise me. As I've learnt more about programming and starting working on driving games (including physics engines and vehicle modelling), I'm more impressed by what LFS has achieved, as I am hitting almost the exact same problems that Scawen must have solved long ago for LFS. As another professional programmer I thought you would have a similar viewpoint.

Also, although I'm not familiar with disassembling exes, I doubt that will really give you the full picture as to how Scawen organises and comments his code. And why the need for seperate dlls? To my knowledge, we don't use any at work, and our games as just as large scale.
Quote from ciph :I dont want to be rude but Scawen, seriously learn some coding.. browsing through the Disassembler the whole thing was a mess, only the fact that everything is inside the exe is not correct.

1. Create a game architecture.
2. Don't stick everything togheter, use seperate DLL's.
3. Do not make so many updates, if you do than 1 big one.

I dont know from where you know the basics of 3D programming but i believe not from an company or any programming classes, because there you learn this whole thing different.

Show us a project you've done that is better than LFS.

If you had done a complex program, you would understand that test patches are needed. No-one can write code for a month or two and not end up with bugs and issues to be tested. Test patches are not released for the fun of it. If it was possible to just get everything right first time and not test it then of course we'd go straight to Patch Z.

I think you are just out of university and don't really have a clue what you are talking about.
I think this quote from another thread applies perfectly to himself
Quote from ciph :You just know how to start your mouth and start talking shit that is totally unnecessary for anyone.

Hes just a kid that thinks he is the best and knows a lot more than anyone else.
Sorry for off-topic, but is it actually permitted to disassemble the lfs.exe?
Quote from MaximUK :There is only one big update. These are test patches for you to download if you are interested in helping with testing. If you just want one big patch then stop downloading the test patches and stay away from this part of the forum.

Maxim

We have similar opinion.
Ive found some of ciph's code!

Public Class Knob

'*** Bestist code in the world, by super me ***

Private Interface Functions

Sub Boast(ByRef Exagerate As Double)

Function Enlarge(ByVal Big as boolean) As Inch '*** Inch is a Single Byte object in measurements of One inch divided by 256

Function Insert(ByVal Enter as boolean) As Success '*** Primary Function, usually through the backdoor

Sub ExtendUsage(ByVal DoublePleasureTime as ThinkOfSonyaFromEastenders) '*** Adds 5 seconds to duration

End Interface

End Class

This is purely for scawen's entertainment, The speed that he can change and add things prove that his code is well organised and flexable, i can see no critasism that could ever be thrown at him for sloppy code. I hope you dont mind me currupting this thread with further rubbish
Come on now guys. Let this thread stay on topic please. Scawen doesnt need this kinda hassel.
Quote from FlintFredstone :Ive found some of ciph's code!

Public Class Knob

'*** Bestist code in the world, by super me ***

Private Interface Functions

Sub Boast(ByRef Exagerate As Double)

Function Enlarge(ByVal Big as boolean) As Inch '*** Inch is a Single Byte object in measurements of One inch divided by 256

Function Insert(ByVal Enter as boolean) As Success '*** Primary Function, usually through the backdoor

Sub ExtendUsage(ByVal DoublePleasureTime as ThinkOfSonyaFromEastenders) '*** Adds 5 seconds to duration

End Interface

End Class

Oh, it's Visual Basic code that seems very interesting.
But, I suggest don't continue talking about ciph in this thread.
Edit: Actually ignore this, I agree with Mcgas that we should get this back on topic.
Quote from Hoshimodo :Sorry for off-topic, but is it actually permitted to disassemble the lfs.exe?

DISASSEMBLY?I think it's absolutely prohibited.
What about a Trailer on tv
LFS Trailer

ekkk! i was driving around West hill in the XRT, then all of a sudden this started to happen, its only around the trees, but its freaking me out!
im using the Y14 patch with all graphics settins set to max.
i donno whats going on, any ideas guys?
Attached images
lfs_00000018.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg
looks like your card has had its lifespan.
lol, its fine now thought, i restarted LFS and everything was fine? the server i was on, the guys were talking about some night mod that the had going, maybe that affected it or something, but its fine now
Quote from mickyc30 :lol, its fine now thought, i restarted LFS and everything was fine? the server i was on, the guys were talking about some night mod that the had going, maybe that affected it or something, but its fine now

No, that's what broken card memory looks like. It screws up your textures in repeating patterns, just like on your screenshot. Maybe it was only temporary screwed up due to overheating. Whatever you do, make sure your card is adequately cooled, or the next time this happens it might be permanent.
eeeeeeeek :S what can i do to cool it? its just the normal fan, and my comp wasnt hot, i just turned it on. maybe dust or something? im not sure...
ok, well first of all the breathing holes for the fanes were facing towards the edge of my desk, so they wouldnt breath, so now ive moved it to the other side so its got lots of air.
Secondly, i opened up my computer and there was a dust bunny growing in there.
there was just so much dust, its was all cloged. i gave it a complete dusting and now its clean. i think it booted up quicker and feels smoother if you know what i mean, and its a hell of alot quieter, so i hope that should solve the problem

edit: sorry for double post, forgot i posted that before.
-
(ajp71) DELETED by ajp71
-
(davejah) DELETED by davejah : solved
-
(mcgas001) DELETED by mcgas001 : Found out - Not a bug
i found a bug, maybe it was reported or maybe not, dont know. I was just driving FO8 on AS GT. the thing is that when i shift up to 3rd gear i dont have to lift throttle, but from 4th to 6th i have to. And eaven from 4th up it sometimes doesent want to shift.

EDIT: i found out what the problem is. i had air intake restriction to 20 and added mass to 70. when i removed that it was ok.
Quote from Nadeo4441 :isnt that because the switched driver is female ?

You're maybe right, I always forget that. I'll go and check the replay .
Edit: Yeah, you are right, sorry
Female's have different field of view?

I wonder how long a normal tower looks like in the eye of a girl
It could be different zoom levels maybe? I don't see why female driver model would change view... Especially field of view. Idk
Yeah, I also need an explanation about why is diferent
This could become the LFS forums' most sexist thread ever.

Interesting to see why it is though
Quote from Victor :maybe because they're of different heights and as such their driving positions are slightly different.

That doesn't seem like a very safe position.

Then again what do I know? I've never raced before.
This thread is closed

Cleanup : Posts moved here after processing
(1871 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG