The online racing simulator
Making LFS Movies!
(561 posts, started )
Having a spot of bother with Vegas 7.0b. I've moved from Vegas v4, but now when Vegas is rendering a movie built with 60fps clips, it's no longer performing any multi-frame blur to compensate for dropping from 60fps to the final 25fps in the WMV.

Do I need to go back down to v4, or is there a setting somewhere deep inside 7.0b that I need to tick/click? The featureset of 7 is excellent, but if the results are going to be pants, I'm stuck.
Quote from T5T :I can't seem to get LFS to show me a replay on the Car Park. Is there any way of getting LFS to show/save replays of things i do at the Car park?

Make sure you've enabled Single player replay save (as well as Multiplayer) in Options > Game.
Quote from Don :Capture at 0.5x replay speed to 15FPS and then speed up the captured movie to 30FPS.

okay what exectly do you mean by this? When I record I get about 8 fps nowhere 15 fps?
#179 - Don
then propably your harwdare isnt capable of capturing lfs movies...
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :okay what exectly do you mean by this? When I record I get about 8 fps nowhere 15 fps?

Quote from Don :then propably your harwdare isnt capable of capturing lfs movies...

I also get 8fps when recording LFS using FRAPS, if LFS is in 32-bit colour mode. In 16bit, I can record at a fixed 30fps. Switch to 32-bit, and I'm back to 8fps.

It doesn't happen for me this way when I record in Battlefield2 or UT2004, only LFS.

That's all on an AMD64 3000+, 1Gb TwinXS RAM, XFX 6600GT 128MB, recording to a secondary Maxtor 250GB SATA.
Anybody tried CamStudio -- free opensource software? Not so easy to get in fast, but when do it may produce good movie
I figured if you press restart on single player you have to pit or the replay does not record. Try that.
i have this prob, i recorded using fraps, i viewed it , it seems clear,once i edited with adobe premiere ,export it ,the quality becomes low ,whichs blury. this is my 1st time making a movie,so anyone can help me
aight guys i have a question. i record mpr with fraps,and then do something in windows movie maker. so after that how do i save my work in .avi? or i must save in wmm and then convert it in avi? if so which program does that? thanks in advance!
Quote from magicius :aight guys i have a question. i record mpr with fraps,and then do something in windows movie maker. so after that how do i save my work in .avi? or i must save in wmm and then convert it in avi? if so which program does that? thanks in advance!

I've only used Movie Maker very briefly, but i'm pretty sure .wmv is the only format it will export. Converting wmv to avi is pretty simple as long as you're not trying to do it for free, using Adobe Premiere for example. Converting for free becomes a bit less straightforward, i haven't tried it myself but this guide looks alright.
Quote from Da Mc Style :Program doesn't work, what now?
i get this:

It seems something is still using the fraps codec. Make sure Any other program is closed that might use it. (Mediaplayers, Fraps itself, Adobe Premiere..)

Quote from Dragonnovo :i have this prob, i recorded using fraps, i viewed it , it seems clear,once i edited with adobe premiere ,export it ,the quality becomes low ,whichs blury. this is my 1st time making a movie,so anyone can help me

Export as uncompressed then open it in VirtualDub, choose a codec and export it. (See the first post.)
Quote from SamH :That's all on an AMD64 3000+, 1Gb TwinXS RAM, XFX 6600GT 128MB, recording to a secondary Maxtor 250GB SATA.

Have you actually noticed any slight performance increase when recording to a secondary HD?
Quote from deggis :Have you actually noticed any slight performance increase when recording to a secondary HD?

Not directly, but my C/Windows drive is IDE and my other HDs are SATA. There's definitely a difference in performance between those two types of drive, but I don't know how much of that is down to it being a secondary drive

Quote from (SaM) :Export as uncompressed then open it in VirtualDub, choose a codec and export it. (See the first post.)

I've been messing about pretty extensively recently with different settings, and I've found that with Sony Vegas, outputting to WMV format yields much better quality renders than DivX at the same file size. I think DivX is ideally suited to content originating in film/24p than LFS. WMV handles LFS content much better.

I'm not sure of the intricacies of the reasons for this, but I suspect it comes down to the natural motion blur of film content, and I think DivX compression algorythm is devised to handle that best. WMV on the other hand seems to be quite a bit happier handling content originating from digital media (which I would categorise LFS as).

VirtualDub is a godsend, no question on that score at all. Couldn't get by without it!
Quote from SamH :Not directly, but my C/Windows drive is IDE and my other HDs are SATA. There's definitely a difference in performance between those two types of drive, but I don't know how much of that is down to it being a secondary drive

Ok... I've just numerious times heard that using secondary drive is faster. I have not noticed a difference. I have two IDE drives. Maybe it just might reduce possible stuttering.
Quote from SamH :
I've been messing about ...

I know what you mean, for short clips I recommend everyone to use WMV. WMV is an excellent format in spite of the criticism going on about it.
For longer clips, divx is a better option. No wonder you see those illegal movies in divx format wich are obviously alot longer AND! require higher quality.

WMV would mean a huge file for the same quality and length of a divx movie.

The content being real or game footage is irrelevant though, as LFS makes very realistic footage. For the codec there is no difference since it's all dynamic moving pictures without any stills. (Apart from the lousy clips where people forget to use SHIFT F, heh)

The real difference in filesize based on footage is when it displays alot of text or photos, or when a steady cam is used throughout the main part of the clip. As most of the image stays in place, theres no need for the compressor to write much new information per frame or keypoint.
I have a question or two for you movie makers

Usually wich resolution do you use in LFS to record your movies?

For the guys who use Vegas, could you please tell wich project settings do you use when creating and when rendering?

Some posts back, some said it captured in LFS and FRAPS at 15 FPS, i see no setting in Fraps for 15, just 25+.

Thanks
Maybe your fraps version is too old.

In all recent versions you can set a custom frame rate.

As for the settings it depends on what you want and your pc capabilities.
For project settings I use the resolution of the source video a have recorded with fraps and the fps I have decided to use fore my movie.

The rendering settings depend on the use of the final video file.
Remember always to keep the same aspect ratio when setting a different resolution.
don what codecs do u use and could u do a screenshot of ur recorder settings(fraps ex)
#194 - Don
divx and fraps settings differ depending on what movie i do. usually its 15FPS / 0.5x replay speed in lfs. Now i have new HW, so i might be able to capture 30FPS with sound, but didnt yet try.
ok thnx, but bout divx codecs. if i choose the divx codecs in virtual dube i get that kinda message.
what is this about
Attached images
saaa.JPG
#196 - Don
what message? i dont see any
sry for so many posts. another question bout vegas . i know how to put titles into clips in premiere but how can i set titles into clips in vegas (6) .?
I use 7 but it should be similar in 6. Look under Media Generators -> Text.
Quote from d6nn :... i know how to put titles into clips in premiere...

i got a little problem with the titles in premiere... maybe you could help me i know how to set a text, but if i do so its always blurred after exporting the movie... maybe u got advice ?

mfg zockmachine
Quote from zockmachine :i got a little problem with the titles in premiere... maybe you could help me i know how to set a text, but if i do so its always blurred after exporting the movie... maybe u got advice ?

mfg zockmachine

i make a file in photoshop ( where i write stuff) and then i import it to premiere and set it onto the clip i need it to.. and i see no blurring,

maybe if u use text tools they might blur away( not sure)

Making LFS Movies!
(561 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG