The online racing simulator
Test Patch 0.6Q3 (now Q9)
(298 posts, closed, started )
Absolutely fantastic!!

EDIT: Westhill looks like pretty hi-tech minimap Smile
Quote from Scawen :New map view for open configurations and track selection screen

I like this Smile There is no highlighted area for BL Car Park, WE Car Park and all Autocross tracks, though.
Quote from MandulAA :I like this Smile There is no highlighted area for BL Car Park and all Autocross tracks, though.

I second this
Quote from Scawen :Test Patch 0.6Q5 is now available with fixes and improvements!

Changes from 0.6Q3 to 0.6Q5 :

New map view for open configurations and track selection screen
Skid marks now remain when race restarts (excluding replays)
Skid marks are now visible on unmovable layout objects

FIX : Missing part of shadows at rear of LX4 and LX6
FIX : Shadows seen from a distance were not affected by haze effect

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/90208

Some other requests I still considering. Some requests, including the drift maximum lock increase, would cause an incompatibility issue. I do expect to release an incompatible version in the near future, so it looks like that should be possible, up to 45 degrees (no new tracks, cars or tyre physics in the incompatible version).

Nice news for the next version! Looking forward to it!
Does rubber persist between a qualifying and race session too as well as between races? Unable to check at the moment.
Quote from mbutcher :Does rubber persist between a qualifying and race session too as well as between races? Unable to check at the moment.

Yep it does persist between a Q and a R session, also between multiple race sessions. Tested on WE1 offline.
I want mooor booost...!

Lol, Really want more degreees!
Shame about no tyre physics or anything. Frown
Quote from k_badam :Shame about no tyre physics or anything. Frown

Tyre physics just isn't ready. But I'm working on it.
The carcass works quite nicely and I'll be on the tread simulation soon.
Quote from mbutcher :Does rubber persist between a qualifying and race session too as well as between races? Unable to check at the moment.

The rubber resets now take place on these events:

- Exit from in-game
- Start or restart replay
Was this part got cut off to save space in minimap? Because it was quite a nice bit of road and now my layout fails at that part. Also it seems that concrete slabs become nonsolid once they are out of map bounds although that was in previous patches aswell.
Attached images
LFS 2017-01-14 20-15-33-97.png
LFS 2017-01-14 20-16-00-52.png
Yes, I did switch off the physics on some "out of bounds" surfaces at Westhill as they were increasing the size of the map squares system. It was related to the map because my task at the time was to restrict the physical area to the actual area we want to have mapped. That is important because the map only has a limited area available on the screen, and we don't want the map to appear too small.

It also has the side effect of making the map squares smaller which can have a performance benefit (though I have not tested this specifically).

I know what you mean but that area is really meant to be "scenery".
Scawen, I wonder why BL1 Car Park doesn't have a minimap?.

And also what MandulAA said, BL1 Car Park doesn't have a highlighted area.
Quote from Scawen :Yes, I did switch off the physics on some "out of bounds" surfaces at Westhill as they were increasing the size of the map squares system. It was related to the map because my task at the time was to restrict the physical area to the actual area we want to have mapped. That is important because the map only has a limited area available on the screen, and we don't want the map to appear too small.

It also has the side effect of making the map squares smaller which can have a performance benefit (though I have not tested this specifically).

I know what you mean but that area is really meant to be "scenery".

Oh no... Oh no... You don't say...

This is bad news for me and for my server

Quote from Drifteris :Was this part got cut off to save space in minimap? Because it was quite a nice bit of road and now my layout fails at that part. Also it seems that concrete slabs become nonsolid once they are out of map bounds although that was in previous patches aswell.

Yeah...
I wonder how many people drive outside the outer boundary fences at Westhill. I spent quite a while on this taking care not remove physics on any areas that you could drive to. I wasn't expecting to find out that people like to drive beyond the outer boundary fences!

Quote :Also it seems that concrete slabs become nonsolid once they are out of map bounds although that was in previous patches aswell.

There is no physics on objects beyond the map squares system because there is no map square to register them on.

Map squares are a typical optimisation used in games, so you only need to check objects that are registered on nearby map squares, instead of running through huge lists of objects.
Quote from Scawen :I wonder how many people drive outside the outer boundary fences at Westhill. I spent quite a while on this taking care not remove physics on any areas that you could drive to. I wasn't expecting to find out that people like to drive beyond the outer boundary fences!

Well...! I know, actually many! Sorry. Check out this thread: https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/89282-MTDZX--Flat-Out%21

Here is some pics

EDIT: If I only had know before better about this, I would had plan things much better. There is also event series planned to have on this certain layouts...

Do not get me wrong, the minimap thing is still awesome, I just could not thought this one coming...

Feelings for me gets crossed. I feel fine for having this, but also feel disappointment cutting this off. Hours and even WEEKS will be wasted to trash can... uggh... ( But, are every track area sizes decreased? )

But, you did not know this one, and we did not know either... After all, it is okay, I think I have to spend weeks again to do these, hehe

P.S. Yes, there is actually QUITE many driving out of boundaries, because, it is indeed fun to find some spots and other things to create. That's why LFS is so addict. If there is not so much actual racing, there is so much everything else gathered in this one masterpiece you develop.

Oh well, but hey, this is still a test patch, and there is always way to do alternative, after all, not bad at all anyway.

Quote from Scawen :
Map squares are a typical optimisation used in games, so you only need to check objects that are registered on nearby map squares, instead of running through huge lists of objects.

That's what we did found all by ourselves
Attached images
lfs_00000155.jpg
lfs_00000156.jpg
lfs_00000159.jpg
lfs_00000160.jpg
lfs_00000161.jpg
lfs_00000162.jpg
lfs_00000163.jpg
I like the new update Scawen. Sorry to read that you spent alot of time to create this update but i have to agree with UM21.

There are also rally servers with layouts on those area's.

So i hope you could think about a good fix for this.
Quote from Bass-Driver :I like the new update Scawen. Sorry to read that you spent alot of time to create this update but i have to agree with UM21.

There are also rally servers with layouts on those area's.

So i hope you could think about a good fix for this.

Yeah! We'll see... meanwhile in LFS:
Attached images
lfs_00000165.jpg
Wait, this new update makes UM's layouts unusable? nonononononono Frown
Just to point out - the out of bounds layouts still work on stable version... Wink
Otherwise - let's see if Scawen comes out with a solution...
Yeah, I don't want to spoil the fun. I'll remove the code that switches off the physics in those areas, the map squares system will be the same size as before.

I'll need to figure out a different solution for the Westhill map, but it shouldn't be too complicated.
An Excellent decision!
Skid Marks!
Now, for first impressions:

Great! This is helpful for many people, including autocross tracks, custom configs, and many more! And specially for drifters!
Attached images
lfs_00000166.jpg
Oh this is so gorgeous! Skid marks make concrete much more "alive"! One thing I noticed - is WE car park supposed to go off screen (picture)?
One possibility would be to allow users to move the map around with mouse, maybe even zoom? OK, I'm going off track...

E: Oh and yes, off-track parts are very important. There's "Finnish Rally Server", it makes layouts which utilize most of the track but as I see everything's fine so I'm happy! Smile
Attached images
lfs_00000040.jpg
This thread is closed

Test Patch 0.6Q3 (now Q9)
(298 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG