The online racing simulator
Test Patch 0.6Q3 (now Q9)
(298 posts, closed, started )
Quote from SergoMorello :Sorry, for off topic, Scawen. Is it possible to make a little more adjustment for steering angle for rear wheel drive cars? As you already know how big drifting community is in LFS. Maybe just a few more degrees. It will not affect grip racing and mess with hotlaps. But it will help LFS drifters a lot, and will bring new emotions.

thank you

+1 It will be rly awesome for drift community!
Is this going to be released as a stable build soon or is there more to come?
Scawen,

Can you make LFS also for the OS, so MacBook Air & Pro and the iMac?
Quote from joordy599 :Can you make LFS also for the OS, so MacBook Air & Pro and the iMac?

Can you please edit your message and remove the quote to the first post? Thanks.

And Scawen is actually really busy, and porting LFS to Linux/macOS would take a long time, so it's definitely not for now. Use Bootcamp and play LFS on a Windows installation or use Wine. Wink
So shadows dissapeared from places they shouldn't be.

Will they come up to where they should be? e.g. yellow lines in pit entry/exit areas, layout surfaces or some 3d objects?

ps. btw of lyt surface, any texture for it + visible skid marks? :]
Quote from nacim :Can you please edit your message and remove the quote to the first post? Thanks.

And Scawen is actually really busy, and porting LFS to Linux/macOS would take a long time, so it's definitely not for now. Use Bootcamp and play LFS on a Windows installation or use Wine. Wink

I use already bootcamp at the moment but it would be great is if porting for macbooks/imac's.
Can we see more of what is to be expected from this patch? It has been almost a month with no changes...
Hey, aren't you interpreting his words the way you want Big grin?.. I'd love to see tyre physics aswell, but he didn't mention it'll be on this test patch. Nevertheless, one can have hope!
Hey Scawen there is a problem with one option called "Input when window is inactive" all is good when i have it OFF but when i change this to ON force fedback change to very stiff and have weird feel when i turned it off is like normal soft. I'm on logitech DFGT but as i know g25/7 also have this bug and this come when You add this option i don't really know why this change force fedback.
Dear Scawen, since everyone is waiting and expecting "wow" content I cannot do something else but stop and ask myself , what can we do to help other than suggesting and demanding improvements? What is our part other than contributing with the licence upgrade?
Quote from jujek :Hey Scawen there is a problem with one option called "Input when window is inactive" all is good when i have it OFF but when i change this to ON force fedback change to very stiff and have weird feel when i turned it off is like normal soft. I'm on logitech DFGT but as i know g25/7 also have this bug and this come when You add this option i don't really know why this change force fedback.

Your wheel probably changes from per-profile setting, to global settings. Try to match these 2
Quote from DarkKostas :Your wheel probably changes from per-profile setting, to global settings. Try to match these 2

Thanks that fix this. Sorry for false report.
Quote from SergoMorello :Sorry, for off topic, Scawen. Is it possible to make a little more adjustment for steering angle for rear wheel drive cars? As you already know how big drifting community is in LFS. Maybe just a few more degrees. It will not affect grip racing and mess with hotlaps. But it will help LFS drifters a lot, and will bring new emotions.

thank you

I don't know if this can be done without messing up all the hotlaps for those cars. But as it seems so popular, I can look into it. If it would mess up the hotlaps then I won't do it, an increase in steering range would have to wait for the new tyre physics, which I have been working on.

But, to help me, can you tell me exactly which cars need more steering angle to help with drift and how much that extra angle should be? It really must remain within the realms of "realistic" and I guess that means it should not include any cars with front drive.

Quote from mbutcher :Is this going to be released as a stable build soon or is there more to come?

There is more to come. Explanation below.

Quote from pasibrzuch :So shadows dissapeared from places they shouldn't be.

Will they come up to where they should be? e.g. yellow lines in pit entry/exit areas, layout surfaces or some 3d objects?

ps. btw of lyt surface, any texture for it + visible skid marks? :]

At the moment the shadows do not affect transparency, and I didn't do anything to change that. It's a good point and I haven't even thought about that! I think with all the other things I am working on, the shadows on alpha surfaces will not be changed in this update.

The problem with skid marks on concrete is if the concrete object disappears, we could have floating skid marks. I haven't yet worked out a system to solve this. Though I haven't put much time into it. I suppose it's possible by registering every bit of skid on an object, so they can vanish if the object is deleted... again, probably not in this update.

Quote from k_badam :Can we see more of what is to be expected from this patch? It has been almost a month with no changes...

I've been diverted onto some updates on the tyre physics, because I needed to send Eric an update with new editor functions, but the new tyre physics were in an "intermediate" state. Now I've brought them to a driveable state, I can update Eric's dev version and I can get back to some patch things.

But I don't want to try and say what else will be in the patch.

Quote from Jacobys :Dear Scawen, since everyone is waiting and expecting "wow" content I cannot do something else but stop and ask myself , what can we do to help other than suggesting and demanding improvements? What is our part other than contributing with the licence upgrade?

Yeah, normally the test patch threads are more lively and I keep adding more updates. This time, the shadows were tested, no serious bugs exist and then I've been diverted onto other things and there was also two weeks with the kids at home.

I'm back to work now so hopefully there should be more to test soon!
Thanks for your interest in steering lock Scawen. XRT and FZ5 are the most common drift cars due to their power and caster/overall feel they have(especially XRT).

Their lock now is 36. I believe we would all be greatful if it goes to 45. Could be more, but i don't think it's really that useful as we don't have the horsepower to keep the angle in that big lock. So, 45 should be enough.

Also RB4 has 30, can this be increased as well? At least 36 as all the other cars.

If people have more into that, we can create a new topic to discuss this. Even though, at least in my opinion, that's all we need. 45 for XRT/FZ5/RB4. RAC and the 2 LXs are used as well, but the other 3 are the most common.
Quote from Scawen :I don't know if this can be done without messing up all the hotlaps for those cars. But as it seems so popular, I can look into it. If it would mess up the hotlaps then I won't do it, an increase in steering range would have to wait for the new tyre physics, which I have been working on.

But, to help me, can you tell me exactly which cars need more steering angle to help with drift and how much that extra angle should be? It really must remain within the realms of "realistic" and I guess that means it should not include any cars with front drive.

XRG XRT FZ5 RAC and maybe LX4 LX6 but for me steering range is fine and i don't really have problem with this and propably LFS don't need that becouse 99% people don't use full lock while drifting and this don't help much becouse more angle need more power but this is my opinion really what i want is ability to have option to change Caster it will be help wheel users when You will add that option to cars XRG XRT FZ5 RB4 FXO becouse in FZ5 caster is a bit to much but XRT is to low for me RAC LX4 LX6 have that option some others car also it will be nice when XRG XRT FZ5 RB4 FXO have Caster adjustment also.

Sorry for bad quote skills.
Quote from Scawen :I don't know if this can be done without messing up all the hotlaps for those cars. But as it seems so popular, I can look into it. If it would mess up the hotlaps then I won't do it, an increase in steering range would have to wait for the new tyre physics, which I have been working on.

honestly, as much as I would like to see steering angle added to cars like the XRT & FZ5 I feel like the current combination of steering lock, power and the way physics are is pretty much spot on (Without the overall of the physics that might be coming). I feel like more steering lock would not bring any benefit and just make drifting in the game too easy especially when tires get over 100 degrees.

But, if more lock does get added before the physics that might be coming get released then you should base it on the more basic cars that get used and not the top level cars with WiseFab kits that have up to 90 degrees of lock some times. A realistic amount for a car running this sort of power would be about 40 degrees honestly, maybe 45 at a push with some basic setups.

In this video https://youtu.be/fZIgskqlhMU, it shows you a reasonable amount of lock for a basic car, but honestly, we don't really need more lock with the way the tires work in LFS and the power levels we have.
Quote from Scawen :I've been diverted onto some updates on the tyre physics, because I needed to send Eric an update with new editor functions, but the new tyre physics were in an "intermediate" state. Now I've brought them to a driveable state, I can update Eric's dev version and I can get back to some patch things.

Are you saying that the new tire physics are related to editor functions, or that you wanted to update Eric's build a single time after you had both physics and editor functions ready? I'm a bit confused if the two are somehow linked or not.
Quote from pik_d :Are you saying that the new tire physics are related to editor functions, or that you wanted to update Eric's build a single time after you had both physics and editor functions ready? I'm a bit confused if the two are somehow linked or not.

My guess is that Scawen wouldn't want to give Eric a broken version of the physics that would prevent him play-testing whatever he's working on. (Assuming the editor is part of/intertwined with the main game code somehow or would otherwise make changes incompatible)

Edit: To clarify, I wouldn't think Eric would need a new version for every physics change, but it would need to generally be in a working state when giving Eric updates that he needs.
...or just to make sure that there isn't new curb bug... Taped Shut
Quote from pik_d :Are you saying that the new tire physics are related to editor functions, or that you wanted to update Eric's build a single time after you had both physics and editor functions ready? I'm a bit confused if the two are somehow linked or not.

Scawen did mention he has two versions of LFS, one "development" with new tyre physics (and being up to date with editor(s)) and one "stable" = what players have (and these test patches in this thread are related to the "stable" one).

But Eric is working with new tyre physics version all the time (for several years). So when the version in such state, that you can't even do a couple of laps, it would be impossible to use it for testing of modified scenery. The "stable" version maybe doesn't provide the editor updates, plus at one point few years ago Eric mentioned he does like the "feel" of new tyres more, and doesn't want to test with old tyre physics (when he was addressing some comments about flow of chicanes and difficulty of turns, saying that any new content is already judged by the future tyre physics, not current one).
Why so impatient? Relax ^^
Quote from Scawen :At the moment the shadows do not affect transparency

Shadow on transparency would be a really nice improvement indeed! Smile

Thanks for the update on the tyre physics and test patch state! As usual, I'm hyped up for the next test patch (probably a bit more than usual) Smile

Small off-topic question if you don't mind: I'm working on a mini car physics myself, and I've integrated the Magic Formula from Pacejka. If you have any experience with it, how would you recommend me to handle low speed physics ? Smile
This thread is closed

Test Patch 0.6Q3 (now Q9)
(298 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG