The online racing simulator
Test Patch 0.6Q3 (now Q9)
(298 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Charlieh18 :This patch stops RevBouncer from working from as far as i know

Every patch stop RevBouncer from working, this happens every time. The author only updates it after a major patch, not these mini ones.
I have a suggestion, the pitstops could work only on one elevation, because you can be pitted on the roof of a house (example) if the pit is on downstairs
Quote from Scawen :assuming they don't use some kind of exe hack

It's a memory hack, every update changes the memory usage pattern. It would be much more complicated to hack if memory usage gets randomized on every LFS init (I guess).
Just noticed, you can see trees in KY track which are behind the stand

pic:
Here too
Quote from Scawen :I don't know what that could be. I don't know of any changes affecting external programs (assuming they don't use some kind of exe hack).

The problem is that the concrete isn't casting a shadow. It's not really a bug that the car casts a shadow there. Really everything should cast a shadow, including the layout objects. That would be great, and I hope to do that one day, but it's a big project, not for this patch, and not until after the new tyre physics.

I hope and someday you can, Live For Speed has a lot of future, it is a great simulator since I have seen many simulators but none met my expectations, most are simulators with closed circuits, what I like most are the tracks with free driving as Whesthill!

I hope they continue to add more tracks like that, freestyle like cities, what is most striking is the Cruise, driving freely in the city as in real life...

Regards!

Sorry for my bad english Wave
@Scawen - It seems that the track map wont rotate now. The option is still there but multiple people have confirmed that it does not rotate for them.
Nice update Scawen! Thumbs up

I like the new map! Smile
However, now that it's as much detailed, I'd like to see an option to make it zoomed (seeing only the 200m and dezooming when speed increases) or totally visible (as it is now). Smile
Quote from pik_d :@Scawen - It seems that the track map wont rotate now. The option is still there but multiple people have confirmed that it does not rotate for them.

I deliberately avoided the rotation of the open config map. The individual race track maps do still rotate if the option is selected, and I can see that may be helpful if you want to see the corners ahead of you. But having the open map rotating is quite undesirable and confusing so I thought it would be better not to allow it. Also, without rotation, the map can be made to fit exactly into the available part of the screen. If it was allowed to rotate, some parts might go off the screen or over some text.
Quote from Scawen :I deliberately avoided the rotation of the open config map. The individual race track maps do still rotate if the option is selected, and I can see that may be helpful if you want to see the corners ahead of you. But having the open map rotating is quite undesirable and confusing so I thought it would be better not to allow it. Also, without rotation, the map can be made to fit exactly into the available part of the screen. If it was allowed to rotate, some parts might go off the screen or over some text.

A lot of people, especially those in the cruise community, still use map rotation. Since there is still the option to enable/disable map rotation, would it hurt to leave the option available for open configs?
Also, couldn't you make the map go behind the text, if you mean the lap times and position etc.
I'm interested to hear a description of why anyone would want the map rotating. Otherwise I'd just be deliberately coding a mistake.
People cruising like to be able to glance up to see if people are coming toward them, or at cross streets. Generally people (cruisers) have used it for ages and are just used to it, and like it.
Quote from Scawen :I'm interested to hear a description of why anyone would want the map rotating. Otherwise I'd just be deliberately coding a mistake.

We at cruise servers, use the map for search other cars, and for check if someone is coming into us in the other direction. If map is rotation-able, it's more easy to find your car and if someone is near you.

As said above, having the option for have this OFF, you should activate this options for those ones who are interested on this tool Smile
Quote from Scawen :I'm interested to hear a description of why anyone would want the map rotating. Otherwise I'd just be deliberately coding a mistake.

Obviously, if it really looks dodgy when the new open-config maps rotate, I appreciate your decision to not rotate it. But when it has already been an option in the game for 15 years, a lot of people will have got used to it and will expect it to be an option going forward.

I personally do not use a rotating map but I know that many people in the cruising community use it for the reasons pik_d has just highlighted.

When I used to cruise, I used the rotating map because I was more easily able to discern what the traffic was doing around me, at junctions, roundabouts and just generally on regular roads.

I also don't use rotating map but removing that option will be not nice or any other option becouse people what play LFS do this for very long time so when we lost some option for e.g. map rotation people will be not happy with it so please don't remove any options what we already have.
Quote from jujek :I also don't use rotating map but removing that option will be not nice or any other option becouse people what play LFS do this for very long time so when we lost some option for e.g. map rotation people will be not happy with it so please don't remove any options what we already have.

I am fine with removing the options we already have but only if very little use them, as Scawen have discovered here, people use the rotating track map. I can understand why Scawen didn't know as he has probably never been to a cruise server.
I don´t play on cruise servers, but yesterday we had our first 2017 league race in cesav. It was Open Config Track and It was a nightmare trying to check where I was and If there were someone joining track after his pit-stop without map rotation ( I always play with map rotation turned on ).

So please Scawen, don´t remove that option.
New open config maps are big, so the solution might be an on/off button zoom switch. Just a loose thought.

edit: to precise, zoom in could switch rotation on, like in GTA Shrug
Quote from k_badam :I can understand why Scawen didn't know as he has probably never been to a cruise server.

I have been to cruise servers! It's important to know what people get up to in LFS! Smile

But I do look at maps a lot, specially these days for cycling routes, and I never rotate the map around, because it would be confusing! Big grin

However the small zoomed in map (breadcrumb trail) on my Garmin is rotated to my direction and that is helpful.

Quote from NeOn_sp :I don´t play on cruise servers, but yesterday we had our first 2017 league race in cesav. It was Open Config Track and It was a nightmare trying to check where I was and If there were someone joining track after his pit-stop without map rotation ( I always play with map rotation turned on ).

OK, I'm only quoting yours but also read the others. I'll try it out.

Only thing is, I think with rotation switched off I'll be able to get the map squeezed up nicely on the right side of the screen (better than it is now - it's unfinished). With rotation, it'll need to be out about where is is now, and there could be a bit of overlap. So I'll code for two different positions of the centre point, making best use of space when the map is not rotating.

We'll see how that goes. I expect to be able to work on that tomorrow.
Quote from Scawen :and I never rotate the map around, because it would be confusing! Big grin

I agree with that, one of the reasons I don't rotate the map at all. Confusing.
If there's just a small amount of players using rotation still, I'd say just squeeze it to a corner and remove the rotation feature.
Quote from Scawen :
Only thing is, I think with rotation switched off I'll be able to get the map squeezed up nicely on the right side of the screen (better than it is now - it's unfinished). With rotation, it'll need to be out about where is is now, and there could be a bit of overlap. So I'll code for two different positions of the centre point, making best use of space when the map is not rotating.

A slider for a map scale factor would be nice as well, like for the message text size. If it's not too much trouble.

Edit:
On second thought, it would be even better to have two slidersSmile
One to set the size of the drawn image on the screen and another one to control the clipping. I mean to show only the part of the track that is close to you. That would be useful either way, whether it's rotating or not.
When using maps and flying it is very usual to rotate the maps, but that is not lfs related.

Anyway I would really enjoy to allow custom map on top or replacing the existing one for special layout. These maps already exists for main special layout and it would avoid casual racer to get lost too much.
Quote from Scawen :
OK, I'm only quoting yours but also read the others. I'll try it out.

I was about to sugggest to use a code similar to the Mirror codes, where you can either choose a fixed position(right corner as you suggested) or, for the map, rotating, but then you can slide it to what ever position,left and right, as you (the player) likes? But within the screen border?
This thread is closed

Test Patch 0.6Q3 (now Q9)
(298 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG