The online racing simulator
Test Patch 0.6Q3 (now Q9)
(298 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Scawen :I have been to cruise servers! It's important to know what people get up to in LFS! Smile

But I do look at maps a lot, specially these days for cycling routes, and I never rotate the map around, because it would be confusing! Big grin

However the small zoomed in map (breadcrumb trail) on my Garmin is rotated to my direction and that is helpful.

Hi Scawen,

Breadcrumb trail on my Garmin 25 is pretty useful indeed...

I don't actually use map rotation in LFS either, however I noticed it because there also seems to be a rotation that is applied regardless of this setting depending on the chosen layout. Sometimes it's rotated 180 degrees -- this is also missing in this update.
Quote from PeterN :Breadcrumb trail on my Garmin 25 is pretty useful indeed...

Yep, I've got an Edge 500 and for long rides to new places I use ridewithgps.com to make routes to download as a tcx file for the Garmin. Smile

Quote from PeterN :I don't actually use map rotation in LFS either, however I noticed it because there also seems to be a rotation that is applied regardless of this setting depending on the chosen layout. Sometimes it's rotated 180 degrees -- this is also missing in this update.

That was related to the direction of the pole position grid slot. I decided to stick with the rotation of zero in the case of the open config map, so it always looks the same. I think I'll stick with that if you don't select rotate. I suppose for the individual track maps I'll still rotate it using grid slot one direction.
I find that some new players, to simulators in general, like the rotating map. It helps them know if the next corner is a right/left turn. It can be confusing in the 1 second you look up to determine if your going up one side of the track, or down the other, which in newbies heads, can flip a right to a left or visa versa, kind of like newbies with RC cars that turn the wrong way when the car is coming toward them.

The rotating map could be zoomed in to only show the current location of the car, and the next umpteen meters of track ahead, the ends could then ghost away or fade into invisibility to help it look better. Some sims have done this. This could save screen space. It could also be done in a semi 3D-ish way too. This would help when learning new tracks.
Quote from Scawen :So I'll code for two different positions of the centre point, making best use of space when the map is not rotating.

You could instead perhaps code it not for a fixed centre point, but to adaptively hug the sides of the screen, sliding across/up at each new angle until the non-transparent pixels are within N pixels of the boundary in both X and Y directions... (if that is reasonably clear Smile)
The new open config maps are awesome. With the size of a map like Westhill, I don't think the whole map needs to be visible at once. A more zoomed in rotating map would probably be more useful, maybe with zoom radius proportional to vehicle speed.
Moved some of the off topic posts to a cleanup thread.
Test Patch 0.6Q7:

Small map rotation enabled on new open configuration maps
Small map is now available on car park and autocross areas
Improvements on track selection screen using the area maps
Improved and cleaned up the Westhill, Rockingham, Kyoto maps

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/90208
Quote from Scawen :Test Patch 0.6Q7:

Small map rotation enabled on new open configuration maps
Small map is now available on car park and autocross areas
Improvements on track selection screen using the area maps
Improved and cleaned up the Westhill, Rockingham, Kyoto maps

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/90208

Awesome, thanks!
Quote from Scawen :Small map is now available on car park and autocross areas

This is nice! Smile

Quote from Scawen :Improvements on track selection screen using the area maps

What do you mean?
super Thumbs up
Quote from nacim :What do you mean?

When you select a car park or autocross area, you can see that area highlighted on the map (in the track selection screen).

Also some other minor improvements on that screen. Positioning of maps and and how it works when a demo racer clicks around, so they can see all configs and open configs.
I love it Scawen, I have a little request if you can do it easy and fast. I Think if you add opacity maps for we adjust can be really nice, on AU1 i have solid map "closing" my mirror center. I know I can put it on the driver side, but it was not the same feeling Especially if I use a large map.

Cheers
Quote from Abone :I love it Scawen, I have a little request if you can do it easy and fast. I Think if you add opacity maps for we adjust can be really nice, on AU1 i have solid map "closing" my mirror center. I know I can put it on the driver side, but it was not the same feeling Especially if I use a large map.

Cheers

Good idea!
Quote from Scawen :When you select a car park or autocross area, you can see that area highlighted on the map (in the track selection screen).

Oh okay, thanks Smile

Quote from Scawen :Positioning of maps and and how it works when a demo racer clicks around, so they can see all configs and open configs.

Good idea, it will help demo user see the various possibilities for licensed users. Thumbs up
A question about the skidmarks - has the maximum amount of skidmarks on track changed? I wonder if it should be made bigger now that it persists between races, so more of it can be seen at once.
I know it is an old bug but Scawen should find a way to fix it... Smile
Attached images
bug.png
Quote from crazyboy232 :I know it is an old bug but Scawen should find a way to fix it... Smile

How do you make that happen? I may have a way to deal with this but to help me spend less time, I'd like to know a quick way to see these bad cases of vanishing ground.
I don't know, it happened to me several times, and always when i drive there... It's stop vanishing when i'm on the that part
Quote from Scawen :How do you make that happen? I may have a way to deal with this but to help me spend less time, I'd like to know a quick way to see these bad cases of vanishing ground.

I used to have that too a while back, it somehow fixed itself. I may have just updated my drivers or smth.
Something similar to what happened on the grass above the bottom tunnel.
https://youtu.be/pT4NwRdalEE

Scawen, did you fix that? If no, then I guess I updated my drivers.
Quote from crazyboy232 :I know it is an old bug but Scawen should find a way to fix it... Smile

The same thing happens to me at the same place too. Sometimes it gets annoying... Would be nice if there would be a way to fix it. Smile

It's also present in the original 0.6Q

I have that as well, it happens at random points on Westhill
Quote from Scawen :How do you make that happen? I may have a way to deal with this but to help me spend less time, I'd like to know a quick way to see these bad cases of vanishing ground.

There is an easy way to do it:
Just select Westhill with an open configuration (example: Westhill National X) and drive up there and you'll see it, but you can only see it if you are from the inside view/custom view, otherwise on cinematic and third person views is just normal.

I guess you should be able to reproduce the bug on the rest of open configurations.
Yes, it happens to me also,

I think that the problem is that it happens cause game detets that you're on a track, and when it have to load another part of the track (Talking about open configs), it dosen't have it loaded till you get over it. Maybe it's a system for don't have the full track loaded, and it only loads the track that you're on.

If you drive towards the roundabout from the western outer road, it happens basically every time: https://youtu.be/Xr1nTJVUoP4

There are a lot other places where a small area doesn't load in fast enough, but it happens so fast you only really see a flicker. I spotted a few while driving around, but most don't happen the second time through.
I also had it happen quite badly, where most of a bridge didn't render until I was a couple of feet away, but I can't reproduce it now even by re-tracing my route.

Edit: Caught it from the replay: https://youtu.be/-yeBGBV4shU Happens if you stick to the far left of the bridge after joining from the track and hug/cut the apex onto the bridge - it won't do it if you go too far right at any point.

Also spotted a gap in the skidmarks while trying to reproduce:
Attached images
lfs_00000370.jpg
Just found 2 more bugs and took screenshots! (There are more bugs!) Also bugs in mirrors!
Attached images
asdasd.png
asd.png
This thread is closed

Test Patch 0.6Q3 (now Q9)
(298 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG