Test Patch 0.6Q3 (now Q9)
(298 posts, closed, started )
WARNING : THIS IS A TEST

NOTE : THIS DOES NOT CONTAIN NEW TYRE PHYSICS OR ANY NEW CONTENT

PLEASE TEST BEFORE YOU POST

Hello Racers,

Here is a new TEST PATCH : 0.6Q9

This is only a minor update as I have mainly been working on the tyre physics.
There is an improvement in the car shadow system, which until now could cast shadows in the wrong direction.
Skid marks now remain remain when the race restarts and are visible on layout objects.
There is a new map view for open configurations and the track selection screen.
Please read the list of changes below for more information.

0.6Q9 is fully compatible with 0.6Q

- You can connect online with 0.6Q
- You can play replays from 0.6Q

You cannot upload hotlaps made with this test patch because it is only a test patch, not an official patch.

Please keep a backup of your LFS.exe from 0.6Q so you can easily go back if there are any problems.

Changes from 0.6Q7 to 0.6Q9 :

Small map opacity can now be set for light and dark map colours
Westhill paths adjusted and regenerated to avoid graphical holes
Autocross paths regenerated and physical hole fixed at skid pad

Changes from 0.6Q6 to 0.6Q7 :

Small map rotation enabled on new open configuration maps
Small map is now available on car park and autocross areas
Improvements on track selection screen using the area maps
Improved and cleaned up the Westhill, Rockingham, Kyoto maps

Changes from 0.6Q3 to 0.6Q6 :

New map view for open configurations and track selection screen
Skid marks now remain when race restarts (excluding replays)
Skid marks are now visible on unmovable layout objects

FIX : Missing part of shadows at rear of LX4 and LX6
FIX : Shadows seen from a distance were not affected by haze effect

Changes from 0.6Q to 0.6Q3 :

Shadows are no longer cast upwards or towards the light
Ambient (non-direct) shadow darkness now depends on distance
New text command /lang X to load language (data\language\X.txt)
Increased LOD distances of humans / drivers / marshalls

FIX : LFS could crash using /axload with a long layout name
FIX : Traffic lights did not work after texture resolution change

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS :

A FULL version of LFS 0.6Q must already be installed

To install the PATCH using the SELF EXTRACTING ARCHIVE :

1) Move or save the patch into your main LFS folder
2) Double click the patch to extract it to that folder
3) When you see "Confirm File Replace" select "Yes to All"
4) Now you can start LFS in the normal way

NOTE : You can see if the patch is correctly installed when you run
the program (LFS.exe). At the bottom of the entry screen : 0.6Q9

DOWNLOADS :

PATCH 0.6Q TO 0.6Q9 (SELF EXTRACTING ARCHIVE) (if you already have 0.6Q) :
www.lfs.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_PATCH_6Q_TO_6Q9.exe (13 MB)
Attached images
Q_to_Q3.jpg
This little bug has always bugged me so i am happy! Smile

Also, it is great that you are working on tyre physics!
Scawen. A1 job on this update, really needed
Just noticed the raceline (the famous "4" line) vanishing some distance behind sector by sector when watching someone driving from tv view. Is this intentional? I don't recall seeing this before.
Noticed that on WE1 now.
Great job Scawen, A long needed fix is here, thank you!
Don't know if this is new or a coincidence, but the LX4 (at least) has some gaps in its shadow.

#7 - BeNoM
Those look like they're from the windows.
Quote from PeterN :Don't know if this is new or a coincidence, but the LX4 (at least) has some gaps in its shadow.

Good bug find, this is because the LOD mesh has some holes in it.

I can think of two ways to fix it.
Yipee, no more phantom shadows! Big grin
Quote from Eclipsed :Just noticed the raceline (the famous "4" line) vanishing some distance behind sector by sector when watching someone driving from tv view. Is this intentional? I don't recall seeing this before.
Noticed that on WE1 now.

I noticed that as well on WE1 when I'm using TV-view. I also noticed that on WE4 when I'm watching someone driving from helicopter-view. On WE4, it also vanishes from some distance ahead, not just from behind.

By the way, I'm just curious, but why is this test patch named as Q3 and not as Q2? I haven't seen test patch Q2 at all in here.
Quote from Eclipsed :Just noticed the raceline (the famous "4" line) vanishing some distance behind sector by sector when watching someone driving from tv view. Is this intentional? I don't recall seeing this before.
Noticed that on WE1 now.

This has been around quite a long time. I imagine it is intentional as there's little point in rendering the line on parts of the track you can't currently see from your car.
Quote from tankslacno :why is this test patch named as Q3 and not as Q2? I haven't seen test patch Q2 at all in here.

I suppose Q2 wasn't public test patch.
Quote from mbutcher :This has been around quite a long time.

Weird - I haven't noticed it before... Shrug
Thanks for the update Scawen, but for the first time ever, my LFS install crashes. And I can't find why. I tried removing ReShade and LFS Lazy, no changes.

Here's my deb.log:
Spoiler - click to revealDec 11 09:54:37 LFS : 0.6Q3
Dec 11 09:54:37 timer resolution 1 ms
Dec 11 09:54:37 read config
Dec 11 09:54:37 get command line
Dec 11 09:54:37 preinit d3d
Dec 11 09:54:37 started Direct3D 9Ex
Dec 11 09:54:37 number of adapters : 1
Dec 11 09:54:37 adapter 0 - valid modes : 42
Dec 11 09:54:38 load font
Dec 11 09:54:38 -----
Dec 11 09:54:38 max texture size 16384
Dec 11 09:54:38 can do shadows
Dec 11 09:54:38 can do multi tex
Dec 11 09:54:38 create english file
Dec 11 09:54:38 load language
Dec 11 09:54:38 initialisations
Dec 11 09:54:38 human system
Dec 11 09:54:38 tables
Dec 11 09:54:38 helmet
Dec 11 09:54:38 controllers
Dec 11 09:54:38 load objects
Dec 11 09:54:38 start intro
Dec 11 09:54:38 end of initialisation
Dec 11 09:54:38 init sound

BTW: "end of initialisation" isn't true since "init sound" is done just after Tongue
Quote from nacim :Thanks for the update Scawen, but for the first time ever, my LFS install crashes. And I can't find why. I tried removing ReShade and LFS Lazy, no changes.

Thanks, but please can you give some information about this?

1) Any information about when the crash happens. At startup / in game?

2) Does the crash happen every time?

3) A crash address (and exception code) may be very helpful or a call stack if possible.
Hi Scawen, had a goosebump for a moment when I saw the test patch thread lol Big grin.

So no crash so far, but it seems like there is "holes" in the ambiante shadow under the car, near the tyres, also if you can make it darker because IMO it's still barely visible.

Attached images
lfs_00000002.jpg
1) At startup.

2) Yup, every time, I can't play right now.

3) Better yet, here's a dump file!
I can't run this either, just freezes at startup without even reaching the menu screen. Running on Win 8.1
Thanks for the dump file. I've tracked it down to a point where it enables a vertex declaration for the post-processing shader.

I don't yet know why that goes wrong. It seems to work fine on my computer, but I think if you remove the "Screen Flags" line in cfg.txt then post-processing will be switched off, so maybe it will work.

Please try that and let me know:

1) Does LFS run now?
2) If so, what happens if you enable post-processing again?
I tried to remove that line, and it still doesn't work.

I've made my own investigations too, and I think it's related to the latest Windows Insider build. Nearly every DirectX 9 game I have now crashes, except GTA San Andreas (actually it sometimes crashes at start) and my own DX9 renderer, for no apparent reasons. I think I'll just reinstall Windows 10 without insider builds, I'm getting tired of theses bullshits, it's not the first time that they broke DX9 like that, but the previous time, my renderer didn't worked, and it was one of the reasons I upgraded my engine to DX11 (maybe it's their plan lol, knowing them...).

Sorry for wasting your time with this, should have seen that before (LFS is one of the few DX9 game I still play actually).
Removing that line worked for me and it also works after enabling post-processing.
Quote from baartlomiej :Removing that line worked for me and it also works after enabling post-processing.

Nice to hear, at least it would have been useful to someone Smile
Still seems good using WINE. Maybe windows users need to run Windows Subsystem for Linux to run WINE for better support Ya right .
Quote from nacim :I've made my own investigations too, and I think it's related to the latest Windows Insider build.

Sorry for wasting your time with this, should have seen that before (LFS is one of the few DX9 game I still play actually).

OK, good to hear it's not an LFS bug. My investigation yesterday was drawing a blank - the crash was in the DirectX code and it seemed to be in a simple call to CreateVertexDeclaration done in a safe way.

Quote from baartlomiej :Removing that line worked for me and it also works after enabling post-processing.

Mysterious! Anyway good to hear it it working now. I won't look into this any more unless someone else gets a similar issue.
Downloading it when I get home. Thank you Scawen I know it's not easy to continue giving us content. You guys rock, and keep up the good work.
Tested => no issue for me. Works fine.
This thread is closed

(298 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG