The online racing simulator
Finally got my DK2, and jumped straight into LFS. Butter smooth both with and without v-sync. World feels solid, but the CA is very bad. But it was as bad in the desk demo, so I guess that needs to be fixed in the SDK.

It's a whole new ballgame compared to the DK1, but it could still use some more resolution. I guess it'll look better once they nail the CA down.
Good that you liked it in the Rift!
If you are interested to see it without any chromatic aberration correction, rename the Rift.psh file in the shaders folder.
Health and risk
I appreciate the documentation

BUT, it would'nt be against regulation if there was an undocumentet switch saying something like:
Warning = Off
in the config file?

Seeing the state of documents from the oculus guys, an undocumented switch should be in the right spirit!
OK, so basically you are asking me to document an undocumented switch?
Scawen i am glad to hear you think of an open world but bummed that you push the s3. I am going to be blunt at the risk ob being an ass.
You have a tresure here. I've known lfs for a long time and always loved it. When i got my dk1 i was bummed because there was no true VR experince. Then i got your first lfs pach and it blew my brains out. I said to myself this is the future of driving games. To hell with triple monitor setups.
Couple of days ago i purchased the s2 thinking i will play in a sea of s2 users. Nope...just two servers. Going in cyrcles on a race track gets redundant. With Project C.A.R.S and Asseto Corsa coming out you have competition. On the other hand you have the best rift implementation on the market and the engine is so easy on the computer that most people can run the game with no problems.
Think about what i am saying now. You already have the game, people already know that is the best VR expreince...go on kickstarter and make it open world. People will back you. They back all sorts of stupid stuff so there will be no problem backing the best VR car game. You already have everything that you need to make this pure awasome. With an open world you can take this game to the masses because the averege player wants to just drive around.
Just think hard about this and imagine how would it look. I am telling you when i play in the rift i want to break the bariers and shoot for the montains in the backround. Just think about a kickstarter campaign.
And meanwhile, all regular racers who want to enjoy racing in this simulator will wait forever for new cars/tracks for racing. :/ It's already taken a long time, please don't make it last even longer. Many people got bored of racing on the same tracks for years.

Fair enough, I'm not against including more open areas, but I just don't see it as a priority.

Oh well, it's up to Scawen & co. anyway.
Thats the problem with being close sourced concerning track data. If people could create their own stuff like unofficial Nordschleife and some other tracks seen elsewhere (AC/Rfactor2) it would already be a superb boost.
If he goes on kick starter he could get alot of money right of the bat. That would mean that the developement would be faster. What racers? 22 people ? The rest of them are free users. And don't tell me you wouldn't like to race in an open world, down a high way with cops on your tale.
The fact that you can have 2 people in one car bouth using the oculus rift is beyond any gameplay mechanics on the market. The hud is just beautifull and woks great.If handdled right this game could be the definitive VR experience.
I know i am new here but trust me when i say...i know games and i know how to sell stuff
Quote from danielduinea :If he goes on kick starter he could get alot of money right of the bat. That would mean that the developement would be faster. What racers? 22 people ? The rest of them are free users. And don't tell me you wouldn't like to race in an open world, down a high way with cops on your tale.
The fact that you can have 2 people in one car bouth using the oculus rift is beyond any gameplay mechanics on the market. The hud is just beautifull and woks great.If handdled right this game could be the definitive VR experience.
I know i am new here but trust me when i say...i know games and i know how to sell stuff

I'm afraid money is not a problem here. More money wouldn't suddenly speed up the development of LFS.
Quote from danielduinea :If he goes on kick starter he could get alot of money right of the bat. That would mean that the developement would be faster. What racers? 22 people ? The rest of them are free users.

As Flame said, money != instant development.

Quote :And don't tell me you wouldn't like to race in an open world, down a high way with cops on your tale.

I'll tell you exactly that. This isn't Need for Speed, it's Live for Speed. I highly doubt the majority of LFS' fanbase would prefer an open map with cop chases to the true to life racing experience we have now.

Quote :The fact that you can have 2 people in one car bouth using the oculus rift is beyond any gameplay mechanics on the market. The hud is just beautifull and woks great.If handdled right this game could be the definitive VR experience.

Even not having an Occulus, from what I hear LFS is already at the front of the VR curve. So it seems to me Scavier is handling this sim (not game) just fine.

(Sorry if any of this comes off as rude, it certainly wasn't my intention.)
Money can get things done. And 30 people on two s2 servers it's not a fan base.The rest are just free users crashing cars and going in cyrcles in the free tracks. I am going to be rude now. This attitude is exactly what holds human progress in every domain. Guys saying '' I higly doubt that bla bla blabidy bla''. I know i'll get a lot of stink from you guys but you know i am right. Sim not a game? Are you kidding me? It's a video game dude come back to reality. Anyway i am done with this. If this is the mentality here there is to much stupid and closed mind for my taste
Money won't get things done in our case. Eric and I have worked in game companies before and we prefer our way of doing things. We work from home, as inspiration takes us. It's not about deadlines, running a company, keeping the income high, paying the staff, interviewing people, firing lazy people and all those nasty things that come in. We aren't interested in that, at all. What happens if you go down that route is you start looking at what can make the most money, as you have to, to pay all the staff. We don't subscribe to this twisted capitalist view that the purpose of life is to make the most money possible. We just want to work from home, at our own pace, getting all the things done that we want to do. It takes longer than everyone hopes, but we keep on going. LFS isn't here today and gone tomorrow like most games.

EDIT: We are interested in the idea of open (or limited release) editors, with moderated content, in some way, paid or unpaid but it's not going to happen with an S2 license. We need to get to the S3 license and updated tyre physics, some sort of stable level before opening up things to the S3 licensed users. It's not a finished product and it is not ready for community development support. That is a big subject and this isn't really the place to discuss it, as it has nothing to do with this test patch.
I stand corrected. But it's a damn shame.
-
(bogdani.cojocaru) DELETED by bogdani.cojocaru
The way we work is the reason why LFS is like it is. Think of it that way. And the things you want may be there in the end, only you'll have to wait a few more years than you want to.

EDIT: The online activity has reduced in recent times while people wait for new content. There's still some good racing there though but not nearly what we want to see. The Westhill patch should definitely improve that at least for a while. But it is the additional content and new tyre physics we are working on, that will cause a more prolonged step up in activity.
Quote from danielduinea :30 people on two s2 servers it's not a fan base

LFS Lazy reports that I've had 2575 encounters with unique usernames in the past 3 months. I guess you have to stay connected to a server more than half an hour. You also have to race to have fun, not just spectate. Also participate in leagues. But in your case I think cruise servers suits you since you're asking for highway chases with cops and flying f*cks and all that. I don't judge. Whatever floats your boat, but to be honest your attitude is a bit spicy. You can't expect the Developers to stop everything they are doing now, just to please you and your wishes in particular. Come on.
I respect and understand what you are saying. I'll just have to wait. Good luck. I'll be back once my DK2 arrives
To;Dr let us help u

There are lots of talented guys around this forum, not saying how much of them gone already. LFS could gain a lot if content development was made more open to enthusiasts, while being supervised by devs. Spending decades on polygons adjusting and textures mapping for decades seems kinda uneffective.
-
(danielduinea) DELETED by Flame CZE
-
(bogdani.cojocaru) DELETED by Flame CZE
-
(CZE) DELETED by Flame CZE
-
(CodeLyoko1) DELETED by Flame CZE : spam
Quote :OK, so basically you are asking me to document an undocumented switch?

He he.. actually no, I just want you to implement it. Then, the fantastic LFS community will discover it, and share it in our secret society of rift users.. It will be very hard of course, because leaks off all kinds have more or less been abolished today... you know, with the internet and all...

/om
#669 - CZE
Quote from loopingz :
I guess it is AGP card. I might check my latest AGP card and mail it to you if it is better. I dont remember what model it is exactly.
Well I just checked it is written on it 7800 series from nvidia. If I remember correctly it is one of the best agp card I could buy back in the time (as I did not want to update my mobo by then). I dont know if it is still reliable but I guess it would be huge bump in fps. I dont know if it is support shaders.

Hey.I sent you a pm...
hey scawen!

first of all! WONDERFUL JOB! :-) i have now played many many hours with my dk2 and lfs. and i can say that it is the best gaming experience i had to this point in my life. the feeling of being in the car is the sickest and best thing ever.

i have only one problem. i made a custom resolution (2560 * 1440) in my nvidia panel for downsampling. i can choose that resoltion from the menu and it works great and makes text more readable. the only problem is i cant reach the whole screen now with my mouse. in the right bottom corner there is a patch i cant reach. its blocked somehow. i tried the option at the top of the screen (connect mouse to screen) in on and off state. but it doesnt help in my custom resolution.

i suspect that it has to do something with my main screen not running at the same resolution. i guess with a downsampled resolution the mouse gets off the screen to the other monitor and if the monitor isnt at that resolution there is that part that cant be reached with the mouse. (if you understand what i mean - sry english aint my first language)

i dont know if that is something you can adress directly. but if not, is there something planned like controller or full keyboard support for the ingame menus? or did i miss something and that is already implemented?

sry for the long text

greetings from germany
mtojay

edit:
also another thing came to my mind just now. i think it would be an awesome feature to be able to sit on the passenger seat in replays. i just discoevered the option to sit a passenger next to you. would be kind of cool to show other people your racereplays as a passenger.
#671 - CZE
@ Flame CZE : Why you delete my post for cargame.nl??Why not delete his post??!!Hes only annoying me with my old card and you delete may post.Cool job Flame!
Quote from mtojay :edit:
also another thing came to my mind just now. i think it would be an awesome feature to be able to sit on the passenger seat in replays. i just discoevered the option to sit a passenger next to you. would be kind of cool to show other people your racereplays as a passenger.

You can already do that by changing the viewpoint of the custom camera manually, but it would be nice if it was in the custom camera position presets.
Quote from mtojay :i have only one problem. i made a custom resolution (2560 * 1440) in my nvidia panel for downsampling. i can choose that resoltion from the menu and it works great and makes text more readable. the only problem is i cant reach the whole screen now with my mouse. in the right bottom corner there is a patch i cant reach. its blocked somehow. i tried the option at the top of the screen (connect mouse to screen) in on and off state. but it doesnt help in my custom resolution.

i suspect that it has to do something with my main screen not running at the same resolution. i guess with a downsampled resolution the mouse gets off the screen to the other monitor and if the monitor isnt at that resolution there is that part that cant be reached with the mouse. (if you understand what i mean - sry english aint my first language)

i dont know if that is something you can adress directly. but if not, is there something planned like controller or full keyboard support for the ingame menus? or did i miss something and that is already implemented?

I don't know what that mouse problem is with your custom resolution. It sounds like some kind of Windows or drivers bug or conflict. Somehow the mouse position isn't reported to LFS when it is in some parts of the screen...? And you say it's only at the bottom right? Do you mean the entire screen is OK except for a square in the bottom right corner? The only thing I can suggest is put your Rift part of the desktop on the other side. So if it is the right side of the desktop, try putting it on the left size of the main screen and see if that makes a difference. Some people could only make it work when the Rift was on the left...

There is a plan to allow head tracking and crosshairs to replace the mouse pointer. I think of this as one key/button to switch from mouse to crosshairs and another key/button for left mouse click. I don't know which patch this will come in though.
Hi Scawen,
now after my DK2 also arrived I could test it with LFS and I have to say that it was fantastic. Thanks for that really good work. Yesterday we played nearly two hours, switched driver every 10 Laps. Until know the second Person could look at the monitor while the other was driving, but in LFS with the Osulus Rift there is only at the Rift a image of the game. Will there be a Window with ingame image at the other screen in the future like in the Demos I tested?

For the next time we will try a HDMI splittter that my Friend will bring from home, maybe this is already the solution for us.

Another Point:
I was looking around for DK2 Demos and stuff like that and found something interesting.
"Leap Motion" for the Oculus Rift. It detects Hands and Fingers in the air as you can see in the Video (start @ 0:54 language german). Sure the range is not so much (see @ 3:12 in the Video) but maybe enough to put it at the Virtual / Real wheel and back. Maybe also a little bit to the left or right to use virtual buttons in the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FKODr6hFp4

Don't know how good it already is but maybe it is something for the future.
And sorry for my bad englisch.
Quote from THE WIZARD DK :why are these testpatches fly around forums? why not keep it in one thread easy to find and WITH the patch files attached so you can either choose to go back to the one working best for you, instead you need to search ,like 5 or more threads to see if the new patch is there... why make it like that.. dont get it !

Test patches are basically for testers (players who decide to test for Scawen the new things before "production" release at main page), so some additional barrier and non-friendliness in user experience is usually acceptable (although I bet it's not intentional, just about cutting down time invested in the release process, so they can focus on the development itself).

Current test patch is always accessible from the very first post of Scawen in current test thread (other threads are usually locked anyway).
Older test patches are gone, as usually there's no point to access those, in case of newly introduced bug you should report it here, and then either revert to official version, or wait for another test patch, which will hopefully fix it.

So I sort of don't get your post, I can see some users may have right now problem with F8 and Oculus driver position reset, but mind you, this is just temporary test patch, which will soon ("soon" in LFS way ) turn into official version, so the affected users should exercise some understanding and try to help Scawen with testing, which includes occasional inconveniences.
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6F12 (Rift DK2)
(832 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG