The online racing simulator
Quote from Matrixi :Drove a bit more with my wheel, had to stop as my Rift was turning in to an aquarium... bloody heat wave.

I have to say the VR implementation feels so damn good when driving with a wheel and using headphones. Presence or "I'm in another world" feeling is the strongest I've felt so far with the DK2. That combined with the perfectly nailed VR friendly UI deserves a big thumbs up.

Once chromatic aberration corrections and low persistence are enabled, I suspect LFS will be the go-to demo for VR conventions. It really is that good.

I agree, nice work! the game looks VERY good on DK2, very glad I bought this game!
Quote from Amynue :Oculus SDK v0.4.1 has been released, you may want to try it out Scawen. List of changes:
https://developer.oculusvr.com/?action=hist

Seems like they still need to work on the Direct Access Mode - if there's more than one monitor enabled in Windows, the Rift headtracking will stutter. With a single monitor (or Extended Mode) it's silk smooth.

I do hope Scawen will implement DAM once the SDK matures a bit more and they eliminate headtracking judder, as it does make running anything on the Rift very quick and easy.

Also, I just built my Unity demo with the 0.4.1 SDK, and it looks like DX11 finally works now, no more black screen. So atleast that has been fixed in the new version.
That list of changes doesn't appear to be relevant to LFS, so I don't think I'll install that SDK.
Looks like they fixed some issues that didn't affect LFS in any way, so no need to update.
Tested for the first time last night. To sum up it is a truly amazing experience!

I won't go over what others have said but add my own observations. With vsync on as I drive everything is buttery smooth when looking ahead etc however I do notice some juddering when I look 90 degrees left or right when a car is next to me. It's not the head movement, that is still smooth. It's the AI car I'm looking at slowly overtaking me that is stuttering slightly. Same goes for fixed scenery but I can only notice it judder when I'm looking out the side windows and staring at the fixed object. Nothing too bad but not seen anyone else mention that.

Having the vrx motion simulator actually helps with my sickness because for example when coming to a stop, my brain is expecting the feeling you get in a real car when coming to an abrupt stop. With motion off I get a bit queasy when I do that but with motion on there is a similar force to real life (no where near as powerful but a force non the less) which helps my brain to accept what I'm seeing. Did about 1 hour and was fine when concentrating but if I start looking at scenery and menus too much while moving then I get ill. Will see how that improves with time. I still believe we need more FOV to help with nausea & immersion although I don't notice it any worse than dk1.

I have had to turn down the motion effects because unlike real life the bouncing of the simulator moves my head and then the goggles kind of rattle on my head which makes it too difficult to focus on anything especially over curbs etc. Got it set up pretty good for a first try now.

For me vysnc on is much smoother than off at 300fps and induces no noticeable lag.

Can't wait to test more tonight & try different tracks / car combos. 3d mirrors will be the icing on the cake.
Quote from Scawen :That list of changes doesn't appear to be relevant to LFS, so I don't think I'll install that SDK.
Looks like they fixed some issues that didn't affect LFS in any way, so no need to update.

"Miscellaneous improvements in stability and timewarp precision." - Is there any timewarp in LFS at the moment?

Even if it's coming sounds like it would be better to start with something that's got a better implementation.

Surely keeping up to date with the SDK means you'll have less issues reported as people run into the problems they look to have addressed, like the SSE4.1 requirement.
Hi this is my first post and it's only to give Scawen a big applause and thank you for his amazing work.

I received yesterday my dk2 and the first thing that I try out beside that stupid desk scene was lfs.

I bought lfs years years ago (almost 10 years if the join date is correct omg ! I'm getting old) and it help me a lot with my real track days sessions.
And with the years going on I had no more time for going on real tracks

So I reinstall lfs and enable the rift support and for the first time since a long long time I have again a smile on my face when driving around.

Thank you Scawen.

Alex.
Quote from AH_Viper : Is there any timewarp in LFS at the moment?

Quote from Scawen :And that is without using Timewarp. I may implement Timewarp as an option as well, but may release a patch before I get that far.

_
my only requests are :

1)
fps cap isn't limited to 100 (I suspect setting at 151 would be good for me)

2)
replay cams are sorted (fixed so we move our heads to follow cars)

3)
+head movements (virtual following real head ) further improved

I'm happy with everything else

( no vsync , uncapped fps )
I believe I've followed all the instructions correctly, but I get an error when I try to start LFS in Rift mode that says "Could not initialise graphics".

Anyone seen this and have an idea of a possible fix (I'm running the new 0.4.1 runtime if that helps)?
as a test can any one connect to my server please ?

server name is: rift-users
Quote from AH_Viper :"Miscellaneous improvements in stability and timewarp precision." - Is there any timewarp in LFS at the moment?

Even if it's coming sounds like it would be better to start with something that's got a better implementation.

Surely keeping up to date with the SDK means you'll have less issues reported as people run into the problems they look to have addressed, like the SSE4.1 requirement.

No Timewarp yet and I'm not sure about it yet. The need to actually wait for the the Timewarp point (just before the vertical sync) is hard to deal with. If we just waited "stupidly" then there would be no physics calculation at all while the GPU did its drawing, then the GPU would do nothing during the physics calculation. Quite a bit of code rearrangement is needed so that the physics can carry on while we wait for the Timewarp point. And you can't risk missing the Timewarp point... so careful CPU time calculations would be needed, if I kind of hacked it into the current LFS structure. It sounds more suited to a multithreaded system where physics and graphics are on different threads.

I'm not convinced of the need for Timewarp in LFS at the moment. The predicted head position is so accurate, the image always seems to be in the right place.

Anyway that SSE4.1 requirement sounds like a reason to upgrade, but I'll let people try it out with other demos, don't want to risk breaking LFS right now, using an SDK that's still warm!

Quote from pab_ATR16 :I believe I've followed all the instructions correctly, but I get an error when I try to start LFS in Rift mode that says "Could not initialise graphics".

Anyone seen this and have an idea of a possible fix (I'm running the new 0.4.1 runtime if that helps)?

I think it's unlikely that is related to the new runtime, because the graphics is through DirectX rather than Rift drivers. But I have not heard of that... I think we need to hear from anyone else who has used the new runtime. Does your version work normally, in 2D mode?
LFS is running without any issues on the new 0.4.1 runtime here atleast.
works great ! thanks for joining !

some good little races too !
Scawen you are and have always been the man!

Your implementation of DK2 is superb! every other demo or game has troubles. LFS does not. I can even turn off the rift and get to desktop and then turn on the rift again and LFS is still running. Some devs could take a leaf out of your book mate. Well done.

Had a quick race with Adrian and some others, looking to do a lot more.

One thing that is annoying though is that I would like a button to turn off all the demo racers in the multiplayer lobby. Cheap so and so's. Buy the game ffs. I bought mine in 2003 and boy have I got my monies worth.
http://www.lfsworld.net/?win=h ... 0&carsex=0&sort=h

Use lfsworld, not sure why we don't have a button in the LFS internal serverlist too, but it works nicely via lfsw (you can also join servers directly)

edit: And you got the nice buddy list with lfsw too of course, tbh I never use the LFS internal serverlist anyway, its so much more convenient with lfsw.
Quote from Rank Outsider :One thing that is annoying though is that I would like a button to turn off all the demo racers in the multiplayer lobby. Cheap so and so's. Buy the game ffs. I bought mine in 2003 and boy have I got my monies worth.

If it helps a bit, you can do it on LFSWorld - Racers & Hosts online window.

And if you have set up lfs:// protocol with your LFS.exe, you can join a server from there as well (if not, download this).

But yes, there are more people who want the separated host lists back. I think a similar filter to the LFSWorld one wouldn't hurt in the in-game host list, where you could turn on/off demo, S1 or S2 servers.

Or you can try LFSLazy InSim application. It is a bit more advanced, though.

Edit: damn you leucat :<
Quote from Rank Outsider :One thing that is annoying though is that I would like a button to turn off all the demo racers in the multiplayer lobby. Cheap so and so's. Buy the game ffs. I bought mine in 2003 and boy have I got my monies worth.

You can easily set filters to make sure you don't see demo-servers.
My only wish on that subject is to have an option to add certain servers to your personal favorites, so you can easily find them.
thanks for the tips fellas. I forgot about LFS World browser. Doh.

One thing I noticed when looking at other rifters in LFS, I really wanted to

All in time.
Quote from Yisc[NL] :
My only wish on that subject is to have an option to add certain servers to your personal favorites, so you can easily find them.

Quote from Scawen :No Timewarp yet and I'm not sure about it yet. The need to actually wait for the the Timewarp point (just before the vertical sync) is hard to deal with.
[snip]
It sounds more suited to a multithreaded system where physics and graphics are on different threads.

Is there any kind of plan to go multithreaded with LFS? I reckon that would be a big win.

Quote from Scawen :I'm not convinced of the need for Timewarp in LFS at the moment. The predicted head position is so accurate, the image always seems to be in the right place.

Maybe you've already tried this, but perhaps you could fetch the timewarp point and not use it for the graphics - just log the difference between it and the point that was used for the rendering. That way you could quantify whether it's worth the work to implement it properly.
I remember there used to be Demo server filter ingame, but decision has been made to take it away some time ago. I'd welcome it back with open hands any time.
how hard would it be to have the driver models head turn to show where they are looking in multiplayer? like rift users. if they turn their head to look at another racer, it would be VERY cool if that head model looked over at them.

forgive me if this is already in the game. im still mulling over buying it.
That was added for Rift in Patch 0.6F5. It's a simple 5-position yaw version that uses the packets designed for the standard push button look system. I'm planning to do a 3 DOF version with higher resolution.
-
(Flame CZE) DELETED by Flame CZE : Scawen beat me to it :P
Could not load Oculus Rift DLL
I get the above error message when trying to enable Oculus mode in the view settings (and then no VR mode).

I've got the latest version of LFS (0.6F) along with the 0.6F6 patch (which show s on the start up screen). I've also tried the 0.6F5 patch which has the same problem.

I'm running a clean build of Windows 7 with the Oculus 0.4.1 Runtime. Graphics card is GTX650 if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6F12 (Rift DK2)
(832 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG