The online racing simulator
I'm wondering why the default interface / text mip bias is at -0.5 and not -1.0? Why is it even an option? I don't see the point of having the texts blurred
I think that is just a user preference. Some people would say that -1 is too "sharpened" and it doesn't deal with the gaps between the letters, which from one point of view become more "correct" by blending between the two mipmaps (in the same way that antialiasing looks better than non-antialiased even though it is more blurred). The default value (on the graphics card) is zero so we are already aiming sharper than that.
OK, fair enough.
Quote from Scawen :FIX : Names above cars (N key) now stay still when view rolls

It goes crazy in helicopter mode
Attached images
lfs_00000902.jpg
Just tried it out, the default interface / text mip bias at -0.5 by default seems perfect to me, yet -1 seems too sharp.
EDIT: sorry for making another page, Flame posted a picture about the heli view at the end of the last page.
And the names appear as if they were behind some textures with alpha? Maybe it's to do with some of the mip map changes since it seems ok when the texture is some distance away from the name.
Attached images
lfs_00000903.jpg
That is because I disabled writing to the Z buffer with those letters. The reason I did that was because of the way they are now drawn in 3D, there was a Z buffer issue with the letter é because the e and the accent were having a Z fight!

Anyway, the result is now that the nearby letters can sometimes be seen as if behind a nearby fence, as you pointed out. But in those situations before, there was a ghostly alpha outline around the letters. So they were wrong then anyway. I'm not really sure what's worse of those two, but the Z fight was definitely bad. Hmm, maybe there is another solution, will consider...

I think in helicopter view the names should be aligned with the cars. They just need something to align with in 3D space so they don't change with head angle. Using "vertical" as a reference is usually good but not in helicopter view where it is close to the viewing direction.
It is also noticeable on the oval, but it will probably take some time to get used to.
Attached images
names_F7.jpg
Hmmyes, interesting...
Please put Scawen to be defined by Car Shine Skin in the garage of the game and not the cfg. I would like to have in certain skins glow and not others understand? It would be great if you did, thank you.
Dunno if this has been mentioned, or if it's been configurable, but is it possible to bring in the near-clipping plane of the camera a bit, at least when using the Rift? it's pretty distracting when the cockpit of your car is clipping out, particularly with the open-wheel vehicles.
Some street cars roof seems to also be clipping a bit when looking up with the Rift.
I'm getting an Invalid Texture message every time I go into AU1 Autocross track.

It's for the AC_uni_sign (aka Royal Hospital sign) not being square.

EDIT: Added image of where sign should be.
Attached images
Invalid Texture.png
AU1 Hospital Sign.png
No Oculus Rift here but today I had this message popup. I never ever saw it before.
It was with the 0.6F6 patch though.

And, needless to say, my LFS is indeed installed on a hard drive.
I quit and restarted LFS, and never saw it again.
Quote from Tresch :Dunno if this has been mentioned, or if it's been configurable, but is it possible to bring in the near-clipping plane of the camera a bit, at least when using the Rift? it's pretty distracting when the cockpit of your car is clipping out, particularly with the open-wheel vehicles.

Agreed this really needs sorting out. Also can the mirror and default draw distance be increased as cars and scenery disappear or pop in too muc which is also ruining the immersion.

Thanks
Scawen, can you update to SDK 0.4.1? With 0.4, when looking up and down quickly my eyes are out of sync, and causes headaches. This is not tearing from v sync being disabled, it was an issue with the old SDK that is now fixed in the latest SDK and firmware.

Great progress by the way!
Quote from sinanju :I'm getting an Invalid Texture message every time I go into AU1 Autocross track.

Hm, I'm not getting errors on that texture. However, I don't have that hospital texture at all. I have a "U. M. S. A University of Kent" logo there. (see pic) I have no mods installed.
EDIT: I don't know why, if I press the Ctrl+S* key combo to do a screenshot, the "screenshot saved at" message is not displayed in the corner (even not in the chat history), but the screenshot is saved.
EDIT2: Sorry, of course it's Ctrl+S, not Shift+S.
Attached images
lfs_00000076.png
Is it possible to change the viewing distance of the menu screens?

When I load the game the menu screen seems to be about a foot in front of my face, even after pressing F8 to reset position.

It would be nice to move it back a bit, kind of like the way the screen in the Office demo in the Oculus Util is across the room, as navigating it at such close quarters makes me nauseous.

I might be doing something wrong as this is my first VR experience.

The driving position is perfect when I'm racing, it's just the menus that feel too close.

Tip: If, like me, you are new to VR and get a little nauseous now and again, try driving behind one of the AI cars for awhile. Having the 3D model of the car in front fill up your vision helps keep your eyes in the sweetspot and also is very, very cool. The formula cars look great.

Brilliant job by the developers, LFS is an excellent VR experience, delighted I got S2 for the extra cars and tracks.
Quote from sinanju :I'm getting an Invalid Texture message every time I go into AU1 Autocross track.

It's for the AC_uni_sign (aka Royal Hospital sign) not being square.

There's your answer - don't use non-square custom textures!

Quote from hexagon99 :Scawen, can you update to SDK 0.4.1? With 0.4, when looking up and down quickly my eyes are out of sync, and causes headaches. This is not tearing from v sync being disabled, it was an issue with the old SDK that is now fixed in the latest SDK and firmware.

There is nothing in the list of updates in the SDK that suggests that has been changed. There were changes in the Timewarp system that LFS is not using.

Quote from MandulAA :EDIT: I don't know why, if I press the Shift+S key combo to do a screenshot, the "screenshot saved at" message is not displayed in the corner (even not in the chat history), but the screenshot is saved.

OK, you mean CTRL+S. But I think this is because the message is displayed for a very short time. I'll have a look at that. I don't remember it being so brief in the past.

Quote from DigitalCrowe :Is it possible to change the viewing distance of the menu screens?

Options... View... HUD distance
Quote from DaveK :Agreed this really needs sorting out. Also can the mirror and default draw distance be increased as cars and scenery disappear or pop in too muc which is also ruining the immersion.

Thanks

I guess you have already turned up User LOD and Mirror LOD to maximum? (Graphics Options)

Then there is dynamic LOD reduction which you can turn down to the minimum. (Misc Options)

That should sort out the draw distances for cars. There is still some slight scenery popup due to issues with the path position based "optimiser" system which maintains a list of supposedly visible objects. You could verify this is the case by comparing it with what you see on an Open config (X or Y) because there is no optimiser used on those tracks. But lower frame rate. I am in the middle of a new optimiser system which works out which objects are visible in a more accurate way.
Quote from Scawen :
OK, you mean CTRL+S. But I think this is because the message is displayed for a very short time. I'll have a look at that. I don't remember it being so brief in the past.

Of course I meant Ctrl+S, sorry. Checked older versions, and I can see that message, just because it was saved in bmp, which takes longer. I usually save in png, which is very fast. For some reason I thought it should be a grey text in the chat, not a text instead the FPS counter. Sorry for the false alarm then. (anyway, I think it would be better to actually see that message longer in the chat to confirm that I saved that screenshot correctly - but this whole thing is a very minor thing)
Texture loading time is so fast now, good job!
Quote from mrgreen72 :Scawen, if you're still working on VR enhancements could you please share your plans with us?

I won't write my whole list of things to do. But my general plan is to simply finish to an acceptable standard, that is just like now but with a few issues fixed and the H&S warning added.

This is to get a decent DK2 full version on our site so new people can use DK2 without installing a test patch, and to get LFS into the DK2 section on Oculus Share.

Other improvements will come later. I have a whole list of them that I'm not doing for version G.

Quote from mrgreen72 :
Stuff I'd like to see implemented:
  • Direct mode with the mirror window. I'm planning on demoing VR LFS to a bunch of friends and having the mirror window on my projector would be awesome.
  • Supersampling. The Oculus best practices guide suggests implementing this as well as anti-aliasing to remedy to the low apparent resolution. If you look at their demos you'll see that they render to a much larger framebuffer. I don't recall the exact resolution but it's much higher that 1920x1080.
  • Brightness boost for low persistence. I'm not sure this is even feasible but it would be great to get some of that sunlight back.
  • Complete mouse-less UI navigation. I've mapped the ESC and Enter keys to my wheel which helps a lot but you still need to use the mouse for a few things.

- Direct mode is on the list for further consideration when the SDK matures. The Oculus SDK is full of bugs and issues at the moment. I won't use myself and LFS as guinea pigs any more than I have to already.

- Supersampling is worth considering. The thing to do is to render to a buffer of 4 times greater area than we currently do. LFS uses multisampling AA to the render target. The current pre-distortion render target is the DK2 recommended size of 2364x1461. I'm not quite brave enough yet to render to a 4278x2922 render texture, distort that to a 3840x2160 render texture and finally supersample onto the 1920x1080 backbuffer.

- Brightness, you can't increase the max brightness, because it's already doing all it can with short time pixel illumination. However you may be able to boost up the lower levels (with some saturation) in a simple edit of data\shaders\Rift.psh

- Mouseless navigation and a virtual keyboard are on my list, but not for this weekend's planned first full version.
using very low AA ( multisample only )

and keeping the mipmap sliders as low as possible

LFS is actually looking fairly sharp and a totally presentable visual res.

best I've seen on the dk2 yet

-I've tweeted every little thing in the nvidia control panel
(using a dedicated LFS profile in 3d settings)
high quality
clamp

etc, very very happy with the performance of the dk2 (as a non consumer version) & LFS is bringing out the best in it
Quote from Flame CZE :It is also noticeable on the oval, but it will probably take some time to get used to.

What's wrong in that pic? I can't see any glitches there.
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6F12 (Rift DK2)
(832 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG