The online racing simulator
Well, in my opinion it's simple in principle but it would just be quite a lot of work to implement. There is no "intermediate snapshot" system yet, or even any way to store a snapshot of a given point, to then interpolate between the two. There are just a lot of variables per car to store and interpolate, then there needs to be some careful work on timers just to choose those intermediate points and not trip over itself (getting the timer wrong etc). Just... complicated and a lot of work, when you consider the reality of implementing it, though the idea is indeed simple. Daniel's 1000 Hz method sounds a lot easier to implement and has some advantages but there is the issue of CPU usage. Anyway, I don't want to tackle these at this time, there is too much to do already.
Does anyone know a way to map escape to a wheel button? It's driving me nuts having to lift up the rift and find my keyboard! I tried Joy2key but it doesn't work.
try to map /press ESC to one of your wheel buttons from within LFS, no need to get complicated with joy2key and stuff.

Also check lfs\docs\Commands.txt

edit: You may also have a look at this: https://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=10956

There's some really useful ready made scripts there, they just need a bit of fine-tuning for your own situation but it's an easy way to get to know the LFS script system.
Yes, as try said, use /press ESC

In Controls Options, in the CTRL+ and ALT+ sections, that's where you can map a text command to an F key and wheel button.
Awesome thanks :-)
Anisotropic filtering on by default?
I just wanted to know what people think about switching AF on by default. It uses more memory and has a performance hit. I always want LFS to work well with good frame rate. People can turn up the settings then if they want.

But in the Rift you need to use less negative mip bias and this can make some oblique angled things (like the road) too blurred. You need to raise the "Texture filtering / AF" slider up a bit. [EDIT : not slider, but buttons]

But how about having it on by default? Not at the maximum value of 16x but somewhere... from a drive around Blackwood in the Rift (and not much more research so far) I am suggesting 4x as default, it seems to have the most effect. Current default is "1" which is no AF at all, just trilinear filtering.

Discuss!

By the way, the separate mip sliders in Rift mode are coming back in F7, but a separate lot of them for Rift mode, with less negative minimum and default values. Replacing the single mip slider in F6.
4x sounds good to me, I don't notice much of a visual improvement in LFS going any higher than that.
As far as I know AF has such a small impact on framerate it is hardly noticeable. I'm always keeping it up to 16x and trust me, I don't have a supercomputer.

I think Daniel should jump in to do some benchmarks

In other words 4\8 by default would sound good, unless Daniel (or someone else) proves that there's almost no diference between that and 16x.
No AF on car skins
Speaking of AF, I noticed something weird with skin rendering since 6F3.
The top image is from 6F (6F2 is the same) and the bottom one is from 6F6 (6F3 and above are the same).
In this particular case, the vertical lines are blurred, but it affects any detailed skin when viewed from a shallow angle.

All graphics settings are the same, only difference is the exe. AA & AF are at maximum.
If I turn off AF on 6F, it looks the same as 6F3+, so I assume AF isn't being applied to car skins for some reason.
Attached images
6F6_AF.png
I've never felt any performance hit with AF even with the oldest hardware I've tried, so I always put it to X16.

X4 seems acceptable to be the default.
i personally prefer af and aa to be off by default since i force them through the driver anyway (especially for aa where the driver offers much better lookign options than lfs)
Quote from Degats :Speaking of AF, I noticed something weird with skin rendering since 6F3.
The top image is from 6F (6F2 is the same) and the bottom one is from 6F6 (6F3 and above are the same).
In this particular case, the vertical lines are blurred, but it affects any detailed skin when viewed from a shallow angle.

All graphics settings are the same, only difference is the exe. AA & AF are at maximum.
If I turn off AF on 6F, it looks the same as 6F3+, so I assume AF isn't being applied to car skins for some reason.

I've already reported it here and here.
Has someone else noticed that the positional tracking does something weird with very small movements? I feel like it could be the prediction, because it feels my viewpoint is for a very short moment moved too far. With bigger and longer motions it's perfect, but for example in the menus it's very easy to notice and makes me feel a bit ill. Edit: Didn't notice this in the Oculus demo scene with the desk.

Would time warp perhaps help if the case is the prediction "predicts too much"? Time warp would update the view just before presenting so it would be much closer to where my head really is.

Btw, awesome work Scawen! In every other way your Rift integration is near perfect!
Quote from aikakana :Has someone else noticed that the positional tracking does something weird with very small movements? I feel like it could be the prediction, because it feels my viewpoint is for a very short moment moved too far. With bigger and longer motions it's perfect, but for example in the menus it's very easy to notice and makes me feel a bit ill. Edit: Didn't notice this in the Oculus demo scene with the desk.

Would time warp perhaps help if the case is the prediction "predicts too much"? Time warp would update the view just before presenting so it would be much closer to where my head really is.

Btw, awesome work Scawen! In every other way your Rift integration is near perfect!

Yes I've noticed that as well. I thought it might have been my camera placement which is at an angle but I've placed it exactly as recommended and it didn't make any difference.

Like you said, it's not really apparent in gameplay but it's a little weird in the menus.
everything tracking wise seems to work spot on for me,
I don't have the prediction turned on at all (in LFS menu)
or vsync
Quote from Flame CZE :I've already reported it here and here.

Ah, I remember seeing that now. Forgot about it then noticed it while doing some skin stuff the other week.

Mind like a sieve and all that...
Quote from Alric :Spent a long time testing last night. I'm starting to think my shadow ghosting problem isn't actually anything wrong with lfs and it's just my brain which has started to notice it. Therefore I believe it's just a trait of the display and the true black smearing. An oculus employee did twitter they know about the issue and already have a fix for it. I was sad it hasn't made the light of day yet though but I imagine there's pros & cons with the fix as it has to do with turning the pixel off etc.

The problem is forgotten about when racing, it's mainly noticeable when stationary and looking around the cars interior.

I found one other small issue, when driving down a straight and looking 90 degrees left or right, the scenery isn't smooth as you drive by, it stutters. Has anyone else noticed this?

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, lfs with a dk2 is just the best gaming experience I have ever had. It really is the next level. I can't begin to imagine lfs with the new tyre physics, new content and a rift CV1. Scawen, you have done an amazing job, in fact it's sooo good you've made the dk2 better than most people thought possible. Good times ahead hopefully

I tried the MRT5 last night which probably gives you the best sense of speed as you can see the ground right beneath you and tricks me into thinking the FOV is wider. Wow, what an experience even just driving with the AI. Slip streaming right up to another MRT5 gearbox and pulling out for an overtake and then watching the car next to you side by side before pulling off a move is just mind blowing. The other cars just seem so real and the right size. They seem big and look like they have mass which never happened on a monitor. As I was following close behind another MRT5 I thought I saw sparks as it bottomed out on the straight but it was actually just the low resolution of the screen but how cool would sparks be while wearing the rift! Anyway, getting carried away.

I'm pretty sure the ghosting you're experiencing is due to the game running in Extend mode. I noticed the same issue, and the "Demo Scene" in the Oculus Configuration Utility exhibits the same problem when viewed using Extend mode. In Direct HMD mode the ghosting is MUCH improved (only slightly noticeable) in the Demo Scene.
Yes I noticed the black smear when simcar stopped but then I stopped looking for it as I thought I'd start notice it all the time

With its imperfections the dk2 is much better than I thought it would be & a great stepping stone to the CV1 in a year or so

I'll keep my dk2 as a momento as my first useable VR headset
Quote from Shotglass : (especially for aa where the driver offers much better lookign options than lfs)

I agree but I have it the other way around. For some reason LFS doesn't listen to the driver settings.

Why can't LFS support CSAA, it should be possible with DX9.

Quote :and the benefit to your users is enormous; they get much higher image quality at almost zero performance loss, without the fuss and hassle of manipulating the control panel.

Supersampling and FXAA options would finish it off. Then finally this jagged Armco's can be gone maybe..
Quote from cargame.nl :Why can't LFS support CSAA, it should be possible with DX9.

Because then you need to also support EQAA for AMD which uses different modes, albeit a similar technology.
Quote from Shotglass :i personally prefer af and aa to be off by default since i force them through the driver anyway (especially for aa where the driver offers much better lookign options than lfs)

But if you force it through the driver, doesn't that stop the LFS setting having any effect anyway, so it shouldn't really matter what the default settings are?
16x AF vs none, for me its 7% FPS difference. Therefore I absolutely support enabling it by default.

Quote from Scawen :But if you force it through the driver, doesn't that stop the LFS setting having any effect anyway, so it shouldn't really matter what the default settings are?

Forcing AF will ignore settings in LFS.
Little bit more complex with AA at least on my ATI. If I force it and keep it on in LFS at first moment it will work, but as soon as device resets (full screen toggle, resize window,...) I got no AA at all. Disabling AA in LFS make it work even after device reset.
you just set everything to max ??

I use :

i7 @ 4.8ghz + gtx Titan @ 1140hz core all water cooled

& I turn down where I can

I do have a totally flawless faultless 1:1 tracking
no cap no vsync ( fps seems to stay at 333.3fps )

+ dosnt those mip map sliders being on max make it look to soft/slightly out of focus?
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6F12 (Rift DK2)
(832 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG