The online racing simulator
dk2 with motion rig working great
the 1:1 direct feel that I get with the dk2 is zero ( ok ....unnoticeabe/extremely low ) & no messing fov + no diddling around with triple screens or trying to get best & most realistic view etc, the dk2 is giving 1:1 feel of vision + seamless tracking, to me this video sums it up

( the resolution inside the dk2 is a better than this YouTube vid )

http://youtu.be/GTJZTc1U1tM

done a pretty decent motion profile for my rig too & VR works extremely well with it

what I've been doing in live for speed (which is what reminded me of the senna vid ) (not my upload)

http://youtu.be/wqMQPuuMXuo

I'm at over 300fps -no vsync, no tearing, no judder, no track problems at all

getting close to those walls at speed & on the edge with a 3d VR headset on is incredible

p.s trying to crack 40 secs .....anyone else trying?

( i7 @ 4.8ghz, Titan @1130mhz all water cooled )
Quote from Scawen :
EDIT: LFS doesn't restart automatically, you do have to start LFS in the normal way after clicking "Exit LFS to restart using the Rift device".

Perhaps restart it this way:
void RestartProgram()
{
char name[MAX_PATH];
GetModuleFileName(NULL, name, MAX_PATH);
ShellExecute(GetDesktopWindow(), "OPEN", name, NULL, NULL, SW_SHOWDEFAULT);
exit(0);
}

That work on Windows 7, but for some reason not on XP I think. In the end it doesn't matter as Rift is Win 7+.
What about, uhm... the LFS_restart.exe?
Thanks a lot scawen, this integration is almost perfect
And so fast!

My view use to be to law when i'm in the car, i can see it by my shoulder when i turn my head. I resolve this pb by restart the game and when i have to say "ok" at the beginning, i put my head law (to center the DK2 like that), so in game it's become the good position.
Maybe it will be nice to have this option inside the game. or it's my configuration, don't know if it's the same for someone else.

I notice to, that usually i have to put the mask (DK2) higher that i will do naturally. The "best point a view" for the 3d and no distortion stuff is a little bit to law for me.(sorry for this english, i'm not english)
It doesn't do that on the desktop demo. I don't know where it coming from.
Sorry Scawen, do we have PORTRAIT and LANDSCAPE confused?

PORTRAIT = 1080 wide x 1920 tall
LANDSCAPE = 1920 wide x 1080 tall
Quote from wywywywy :Sorry Scawen, do we have PORTRAIT and LANDSCAPE confused?

It probably has to do with the fact that the OR screen is a mobile phone screen used in portrait mode.
Quote from Khiput :My view use to be to law when i'm in the car, i can see it by my shoulder when i turn my head. I resolve this pb by restart the game and when i have to say "ok" at the beginning, i put my head law (to center the DK2 like that), so in game it's become the good position.
Maybe it will be nice to have this option inside the game. or it's my configuration, don't know if it's the same for someone else.

You can press F8 at any time to centre the view at your current head position.

That is, if you have default LFS keys. LFS assigns the text /rift reset to the F8 key, which you can also assign to a wheel button.

Quote from wywywywy :Sorry Scawen, do we have PORTRAIT and LANDSCAPE confused?

It's confusing, but the rift's screen comes from a phone and the default orientation is vertical.

So, as seen in the Windows settings...

"landscape" turns out to mean "not rotated" and that means the image is 1080 wide x 1920 high, appearing sideways in the Rift, totally useless.

"portrait" turns out to mean "rotated" and that means the image is 1920 wide x 1080 high, which is what we want.

Actually this setting is nothing special for LFS, all Rift programs in extended mode require the Rift to be set to so-called portrait mode, so they come out as landscape orientation to any one who doesn't work at Microsoft. It's annoying and confusing but you only have to set it once per computer.
Suggestion: In Rift mode, since the replay "TV" cameras feel very weird as they force your view to be moved, how about leaving the TV camera positions static where they are, but letting the player control the view with head tracking? Zoom would propably have to be disabled too, but I think it would still be a much more comfortable VR experience.

I found myself creating a custom viewpoint for every car in the passengers position and watching replays from there... but that only works if the other driver has their steering wheel on the same side as I do. It does feel really immersive and awesome, just like sitting in a passenger seat in real life.
I agree the replay TV cameras are quite a bad experience in the Rift. It's just about possible to watch without puking as long as you keep your head dead still!

I don't really like the idea of making it completely static and just looking around from where you are. As it's supposed to represent TV cameras I still think the best thing would be to project the image onto a virtual 3D monitor in front of you.

EDIT: I am only concerned about the resolution / pixelation / aliasing problems that might come up. The obvious way to do this is with an intermediate render target texture, but it's one more step in the process. In a way it's a bit like the background texture in menu screens, combined with the rendering to mirror system. I think I just need to try a quick test and see.
Quote from Scawen :I don't really like the idea of making it completely static and just looking around from where you are. As it's supposed to represent TV cameras I still think the best thing would be to project the image onto a virtual 3D monitor in front of you.

That sounds like a pretty comfortable solution. My idea was more like making the player feel like a spectator around the track... then again once the cars would pass the camera and the view would switch to the next camera, it would propably feel uncomfortable for VR aswell.

It's interesting how developing for the Rift includes solving cases like this that don't exist on 2D monitors at all.
Changing the mip bias sliders to all zeroes does seem to make the world look a lot more solid. Removes some of the shimmering and flickering.

I don't see any reason for working on vsync or low persistence at this point. With vsync off and fps limiter off it runs at 300+ fps and the headtracking is extremely smooth. I see no screen tearing either.

The chromatic aberation is by far the biggest issue now.
Quote from ctuchik :Changing the mip bias sliders to all zeroes does seem to make the world look a lot more solid. Removes some of the shimmering and flickering.

Yes, it was surprising to me how helpful this is. In normal monitor view, the default values are helpful for keeping things sharp, when Anisotroping Filtering is not used. I suppose in the Rift we don't suffer much from fuzzy road textures in the distance, because it's so low res anyway, so zero mip bias becomes good. Maybe mip bias should be disabled entirely in Rift mode, or provide a single slider from -1 to 0 for those users who prefer sharpness and don't mind a little shimmering?

Quote from ctuchik :I don't see any reason for working on vsync or low persistence at this point. With vsync off and fps limiter off it runs at 300+ fps and the headtracking is extremely smooth. I see no screen tearing either.

It's surprising how much difference it makes. When you look around in test patch F3 (for example in car on an options screen) everything seems blurred when you move your head. The one good thing is the low lag. In my version when I switch on low persistence (which is a simple switch) then I can see clearly the tearing or juddering that was masked by the high persistence blurring. To me it seems worst if I nod my head up and down. But when vertical sync is enabled it all becomes really smooth. Only problem then is the lag (which I have cut down to about half of that in F3). With predicted position (20 ms ahead, sitting in a car on autocross) the problem is reduced a lot, but a fixed times prediction will not account for variation in CPU / GPU processing times.

The solution to this final problem is the Timewarp system. After rendering the image for a frame, we can apparently get an accurate time prediction for when the frame will actually be displayed, and apply a rotation to the view that corrects that. You can even go further and wait a few milliseconds for that final step, to get one last reading from the headset, just before the distortion function, so the lag will be imperceptible.

Nice video about Timewarp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvtEXMlQQtI

Quote from ctuchik :The chromatic aberation is by far the biggest issue now.

In the shader examples provided for supporting Timewarp, chromatic aberration is also handled, so maybe that will be the way.
Wow, that is some incredibly cool stuff.

I really only saw the flickering on things like curbs and billboards. Gonna experiment a bit more with it.
Low persistence is extremely important indeed. Without it, the DK2 is basically the same as DK1 with a small resolution upgrade. I'm really surprised the F3 test patch is as great as it is without it.

By the sound of things, implementing Timewarp for low latency vsync and getting chromatic aberration correction with it is the way to. Is it a difficult task to get it working with the LFS engine?

Edit: It's interesting that Oculus hasn't mentioned much about the built-in latency tester, only found this thread about it on the dev forum. Apparently Timewarp makes use of it though.
Quote from Matrixi :Low persistence is extremely important indeed. Without it, the DK2 is basically the same as DK1 with a small resolution upgrade.

The DK1 integration in LFS was also incredible But without positional tracking i get sick in about 20 min playing. So the dk2 is also without low persistence a major upgrade.

Im getting my dk2 on monday then i will test it and share my video on youtube.
I run uncapped & no vsync,
fps 333.3

what is this low persistence switch?
Quote from adrianstealth :what is this low persistence switch?

Something in the SDK you can just switch on, so I've now added that as an option in LFS (in my version). Default is low persistence YES.

It lights up the pixels for a shorter time so they don't linger, causing blur, when you move your head. It's just a little dimmer so I guess that might be a problem if you are in a very brightly lit room, but I think it'll be fine normally.
Hi

Watching videos of Oculus Rift on YouTube I noticed that the problem is how he wants to use the keyboard on your computer. Perhaps a good solution was to oversell display the virtual keyboard on the screen after pressing the shortcut key, which would have been to handle the mouse. What do you think?

Regards
Interesting idea. Added to list for consideration.
Quote from Lucas McFly :Hi

Watching videos of Oculus Rift on YouTube I noticed that the problem is how he wants to use the keyboard on your computer. Perhaps a good solution was to oversell display the virtual keyboard on the screen after pressing the shortcut key, which would have been to handle the mouse. What do you think?

Regards

I made a similar suggestion in the early rift days in December regarding the mouse handling in VR:

Quote from just2fast :
Can you couple the mouse pointer with the rifts view. So that the mouse pointer is like attached to the nose, but on HUD level? And the possibility to assign a wheel button as left mouse button? That would be really great.
In this way there would be no need to lift the Rift always up and search for the mouse. Instead the whole navigation through the menus can be done with the Rift!

For example I am sitting in a racing seat which stays 1m away from my desk.
A wirelwss keyboard is next to me, but the mouse is on the desk. So it´s a bit annoying when switching some settings in lfs. Always lift the Rift up, leave the chair, make settings, go back to the seat, put rift on again...

This implementation might be also a good basis for future improvements. For example in this way the whole buttons (lights, horn...) in the virtual cockpit can be pressed!

Scawen seems to be of aware of this also, but with with low priority so far. Hopefully when the most important stuff like low persistance, chromatic abberation correction, timewarp(?) and 3D mirrors are done, the chances are good that the input system gets a fine-tuning, too
I already find lfs really nice to use in VR.

Only thing missing for me / or I don't know how to setup is using the buttons on my shifter to navigate menu's and such. That would be awsome.
monitors gone!
monitors gone, VR all the way from now on!

( one monitor going on wall for windows desktop )

Quote from AntonieB :I already find lfs really nice to use in VR.

Yes indeed it is, compared with other games.
But it still can be a lot better with less development effort (in my opinion) !
Quote from adrianstealth :monitors gone, VR all the way from now on!

( one monitor going on wall for windows desktop )

This is what I was predicting a year before

Quote from just2fast :
When the high res prototyp or at least the consumer version comes out, all 3 monitor setups can be thrown away.

Oculus Rift is not a gimmick, it seems to be the future for games! Pls devs spent 300 bucks for a Rift and implement native support!

Awesome Job ! The current functionality is already great and the Immersion is just incredible.

Made a small Video. I am not the best Driver ;-) 2nd time where I drove Aston :-)

http://youtu.be/tk1NztKIt7o

Looking forward to further improvements but this is already at a very high Level.
I drove in over 45 min and no Motion sickness, no focus problems in the "real world" after I took the rift off.

But you will sweat more because you are so deep in the race itself ! This is what I was looking for when I made first steering wheel YEARS ago.

A dream became true with the Oculus .....

Keep up the good work with LFS
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6F12 (Rift DK2)
(832 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG