The online racing simulator
I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue I am having with my DK2. At random times my head position will reset to the drivers lap. I can't find a reliable way to reproduce the issue, and it doesn't seem to depend on any particular event in the game. I can be looking left or right through a turn, or even looking directly ahead and it will move my position.

After it happens I can quickly hit the button on my wheel to reset the rifts position, and it doesn't appear to happen again in that race, but I might not have played long enough after it happens to experience it again. I think I have had it happen twice in a row after ending a race and starting a new one at a new track.

I thought this might be because of the location I have the camera, I have a triple screen setup that makes it impossible to have the ideal camera position that Oculus recommends. I currently have the camera on a tripod behind the monitors pointed down to my position. I setup things away from my desk and put the camera in the recommended location, but I still experienced the issue.

Is there any debugging or logs I can take a look at that might help diagnose the issue? Has anyone else experienced this happening? I don't believe I've had any other rift demos / games have this issue for me. Elite dangerous has the g-force camera movements that are really annoying, but I don't believe I have had the camera position reset while playing.

Thanks!

Specs:
i5-2500K
780GTX
16gb ram
Win 7 64-bit
Latest Nvidia, Oculus drivers / software
Simvibe
LFS 0.6F8
Quote from Flame CZE :Scawen, is it really /reset rift, or have you changed it recently? Because it says /rift reset on the Oculus VR site, and also in your previous posts.

Thanks, I had that wrong in the first post, now fixed. It is /rift reset

Quote from ronin17 :Is there any debugging or logs I can take a look at that might help diagnose the issue?

No, there isn't any debug info on the LFS side. LFS just takes that value provided by the Rift SDK.

My camera is on a tripod behind my monitor, about 15 cm above it and pointing down at my seated eye position. I don't normally get any problems in LFS (but do get terrible "camera out of range" problems in the two Unity based demos I tried). I did get some random changes of position at first when there was some camera movement because it's a bit of a tight squeeze behind my monitor.
Tested yesterday the analglyph mode. - The onboard experience is awesome! It was way over my expectations.
Quote from Scawen :No, there isn't any debug info on the LFS side. LFS just takes that value provided by the Rift SDK.

So this is most likely a SDK issue, that is helpful in narrowing down things.

I'll see if anyone on the Oculus forum has experienced any issues like this. Thanks.
Quote from Scawen :I don't normally get any problems in LFS (but do get terrible "camera out of range" problems in the two Unity based demos I tried).

I also get the "Camera out of range" in nearly all Unity demos, despite the fact that I'm totaly within range. This can be solved by pressing F2 twice - which switches the possitional tracking on and off.
Quote from ronin17 :I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue I am having with my DK2. At random times my head position will reset to the drivers lap. I can't find a reliable way to reproduce the issue, and it doesn't seem to depend on any particular event in the game. I can be looking left or right through a turn, or even looking directly ahead and it will move my position.

I have no idea if it is related, but I noticed when I touch my monitor the head location jumps about half a meter. Doesn't happen every time and works only for a while, then the monitor needs to "recharge" hehe. Some magnetic / electrical interference might cause some jumps.
Quote from DaveK :Looks great. If LFS could implement any kind of hand tracking I'd buy it.

Why would you need this for LFS? Driving without the actual wheel?
Quote from sermilan :Why would you need this for LFS? Driving without the actual wheel?

I can think of a couple of hand gestures I'd like to do to other drivers after some manouvers
Quote from dawesdust_12 :A couple of minutes? I don't think you understand how long it takes to implement things.

this is just writting text in the end .... or only 0 and 1
I think he was kind of joking about the couple of minutes.
Quote from Scawen :I think he was kind of joking about the couple of minutes.

With this community, I'm not so sure.
Quote from sermilan :Why would you need this for LFS? Driving without the actual wheel?

Well I guess you could do that but personally I'd love to see the in-game hands follow my own hands. Positioning the hands correctly, scaling, inverse kinematics and whatnot... Would be a pretty good challenge and that's assuming Leap's SDK gives reliable results, which isn't a given looking at their past offerings.

That was a joke though. While it makes no doubt in my mind this will be standard fare a few years from now, Scawen isn't going to spend weeks working on something all 3 of us might give a shit about.
Quote from Scawen :I think he was kind of joking about the couple of minutes.

of course he was
Anyway, talented hard worker do good things pretty quickly . See what you did recently with VR and 3D and in the past are good examples

If you can't work that out you shouldn't be using VR!
I dont know how they went with leap motion... I preordered it, gqve it a try and sold it right away. The second hand market was already saturated. I was not the only one disappointed.
Quote from Whiskey :I can think of a couple of hand gestures I'd like to do to other drivers after some manouvers

Joke aside, "live" driver animation would be pretty awesome. And to top it off, visible by others in MP . The ultimate sim. (and no more: when should driver reach for the gear lever, if animated shift).

DISCLAIMER: Please do not even start dreaming about this Scawen, otherwise we'll loose you forever in the realms of endless possibilities => VR coding.. Your service is still needed by the non-rift mortals.
It would be nice for gestures. There's something quite tough about dealing with steering wheels and gearshifts that aren't exactly the same size and position as the ones in game...! Sometimes they would be free, sometimes kind of "snap to" the position of the in-game object. Tough! Anyway I am obviously not looking into this now.

My time is all about the DK2 patch 0.6G then the Westhill support.

I had hoped to get the 0.6G released this weekend but while dealing with the names over cars, I tried a method that can be used to improve edges of alphatest textures, which must be used when polygon sorting isn't feasible. For example on trees, ironwork and some railings. I got into a test these last couple of days, on this work which is on my Westhill list. Delayed the 0.6G patch but that's how it goes. See these comparison FE and SO shots. This is without supersampling. I don't use supersampling, I know some people with super graphics cards do, but this is about improving the situation with ordinary multisampling AA.
Attached images
lfs_00000039.jpg
lfs_00000040.jpg
lfs_00000041.jpg
lfs_00000042.jpg
re.VR

leave hand movements etc for now
fluid virtual head movement (matching tracking) would be good
& look brill in replays

in the future I'm sure they'll be cheap/effective gloves
(hopefully the sort with the half fingers cut off) that will allow virtual hands to track actual hands ( update maybe when this becomes the norm etc)
Those improved edges look much better! Although it is a subtle change, the jagged edges look bad on screenshots. Looking forward to that.
Quote from Flame CZE :Those improved edges look much better! Although it is a subtle change, the jagged edges look bad on screenshots. Looking forward to that.

The graphics are looking way better in your comparisons, trees and fences look way more natural and less pixel art!

As for Leap Motion, I loved the idea, tried it, but it was too new, too laggy, too unprecise, too useless. It might get good with time.
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6F12 (Rift DK2)
(832 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG