The online racing simulator
Regarding the "Headset" word, that looks more like a legal term rather than a name for the device. I can imagine this word to be defined somewhere in the terms & conditions, which could go like "The term 'Headset' shall hereinafter be used collectively to refer to XXX" or something similar. And every time you'd mention Headset, you'd be referring to that term.

But it looks weird in that text indeed.
Imagine the Germans doing that with all nouns
Quote from nacim :Can you add a little trick to disable it for us ? (like a little option in the .cfg)

Quote from nacim :Can you add a little trick to disable it for us ? (like a little option in the .cfg)

I couldn't give you any tips on how to disable it!

It's very dangerous. You have to read that message every time, otherwise you might forget to stop using it "if you experience any discomfort or health reactions"
I can understand why they're doing it - good old-fashioned arse-covering, but the way it's being done doesn't make too much sense. Even as a non-Rift user it appears that this Rift stuff is not only the future, but good for LFS.

Anyway, in terms of dodgy latin quotes, Illegitimi non carborundum.
Quote from Scawen :
Also their own one will swing around with your head, rather than remaining in place. So you have to swivel your eyes to read it. This is against their own code of best practice!

In the desk test demo it does actually stay in place. Might have changed between the two version 4 SDKs, I didn't see the previous one at all.
You're going home past 30 gangstas with guns in their pants, to read dizzy-floating warning about dangers of virtual cruising - only in 'Murica
First time trying the patch. Let it install, switched to 3d in the settings and selected the oculus rift as per the first post. However, I never see a button to exit lfs, just the usual Back button from the options menu.

When i do exit LFS the normal way, I cant seem to restart it until i delete cfg.txt.
Quote from pasibrzuch :you're going home past 30 gangstas with guns in their pants, to read dizzy-floating warning about dangers of virtual cruising - only in 'murica

lol
Quote from Scawen :I couldn't give you any tips on how to disable it!

Don´t worry, we will find out
Quote from aikakana :In the desk test demo it does actually stay in place. Might have changed between the two version 4 SDKs, I didn't see the previous one at all.

I think it depends what we mean by "staying in place". My understanding is the warning stays in place relative to the headset, so it would still be visible if you looked sideways (that's what I mean by moving around with your head). But that is not what Oculus themselves recommend, as they suggest things should stay in place in the 3d space, so you can look around them (like LFS menus).

I haven't run the latest SDK but the previous one's demos don't work on my computer and there was no mention of any related fixes, so I haven't installed it as I don't want to break anything.

Quote from agm_ultimatex :First time trying the patch. Let it install, switched to 3d in the settings and selected the oculus rift as per the first post. However, I never see a button to exit lfs, just the usual Back button from the options menu.

When i do exit LFS the normal way, I cant seem to restart it until i delete cfg.txt.

After you select Oculus Rift in the "Options for 3D device :" dialog (first attached image) and click OK, then this other dialog (second attached image) should appear and you just click OK on this one to exit LFS. Please tell me what you do see, because it seems that a few people have a different way to click things and somehow don't end up seeing this.
Attached images
lfs_00000034.jpg
lfs_00000035.jpg
I would think it a fair assumption that everyone will be on the latest SDK at any given time, though. That's how I would develop, anyway.
Well it had support for some other OS that I don't have and a fix for a mode which we don't use.

It's a rushed out SDK which doesn't contain any fixes for anything LFS does use, so it would have been a total waste of time to update it.
Question for Scawen
Hey mate, ta very much for making such a great adaption so that we can all enjoy sim racing as it should be enjoyed.

I was wondering about direct mode, is there a big difference between direct mode and extended mode? Or is it a coding question that prevents direct mode from working?

Cheers mate, AussieStig
Direct mode is on the list for further consideration when the SDK matures.

It is quite different to code. Quite a few changes would need to be made. Hopefully not a massive task but definitely substantial. The Oculus SDK is full of bugs and issues at the moment, so I don't want to get involved in trying to support a mode that fails on quite a few people's computers, yet.

I know it would be nice to have LFS displayed on the other monitor, a feature provided by Direct mode.

As there's only one of me and loads to do, it makes sense to wait until the SDK settles down before considering it again.
Quote from Scawen :Direct mode is on the list for further consideration when the SDK matures.

It is quite different to code. Quite a few changes would need to be made. Hopefully not a massive task but definitely substantial. The Oculus SDK is full of bugs and issues at the moment, so I don't want to get involved in trying to support a mode that fails on quite a few people's computers, yet.

I know it would be nice to have LFS displayed on the other monitor, a feature provided by Direct mode.

As there's only one of me and loads to do, it makes sense to wait until the SDK settles down before considering it again.

No worries mate, thanks for your answer, I am just curious though, is direct mode better in terms of image quality or latency? I guess that is what I meant with what the difference may be. I have an AMD HD7970 and nearly nothing works in direct mode, so not having the option to test the DK2 on an Nvidia card I don't know if we AMD users are missing out on something?

I appreciate your quick reply, cheers mate, AussieStig
I don't really think Direct mode is necessarily better.

It uses Timewarp which can help reduce the difference between where your head is when the image is finally presented to the screen and where it was when the frame started to be drawn.

But I find the prediction used when vertical sync is on is really accurate. Though apparently not on some people's computers (*). So maybe they would benefit from Timewarp.

But Timewarp can be used in non-direct mode as well. It's just maybe harder to implement without using Direct Mode. Thing is, Timewarp isn't a true representation of where your head is either. It's also based on prediction, but using a smaller prediction time step and rotating the image to compensate, distorting the image as well though this is probably imperceptible.

(*) By the way, as mentioned before, anyone who found lag with vertical sync enables, please make sure you don't have "force triple buffering" switched on in your drivers. This will definitely cause lag without bringing any benefits.
Thanks again Scawen,

In the game I have v sync on and frames limited to 76 fps. This gives me the smoothest result. I have tried v sync off and no fps cap, but I get a slight motion blur so I think the former settings are the best for me right now.

In the catalyst I have no supersampeling and AA set to use in game settings. If there are better settings for AMD cards I would be very interested to see what other people are using.

Cheers mate, AussieStig
I know it's suppose not to make any difference once fps gets over 75fps
(the refresh rate of the device)

but I really do see & feel the difference at figures over 100fps

I run uncapped & no vsync with excellent results

if it's easy to do a higher figure on the frame cap would be very nice
(higher than 100fps, 250fps or 300fps as a max would be great so I can find the perfect figure under that)

at the moment the fps seems to stick at 333.3fps

thanks
Quote from Scawen :
After you select Oculus Rift in the "Options for 3D device :" dialog (first attached image) and click OK, then this other dialog (second attached image) should appear and you just click OK on this one to exit LFS. Please tell me what you do see, because it seems that a few people have a different way to click things and somehow don't end up seeing this.

Hey Scawen,

Yeah i have the first image, but once I click okay I just see the regular video settings screen after. I do not receive a second dialog. I'll make a quick video of it when i get home if it helps.
Can you make sure you definitely installed the patch correctly? When you start LFS and you are at the entry screen, the version number 0.6F7 must be displayed at the bottom there. Just to check you aren't running the DK1 version.
Ghosting Solved?
@Scawen: Looks like ghosting is a known issue with a workaround if using DX11.

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus ... e8wmp/unite_vr_breakdown/

"DX11 currently has the edge in the current SDK as it has these unique features:

Has a feature called color overdrive to reduce ghosting. It speeds up pixel color transitions by sending an 'overshot' pixel to the screen before settling on the destination. I could probably describe this better."
Respect Cro Bro :banana_ra
New Test Patch 0.6F8

Now includes the dreaded health and safety warning, implemented the best way I could think of, complying with the requirements but not getting in the way too much.

Also has an option "Store driving position" to avoid setting your driving position every time you start up.

https://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=86202
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6F12 (Rift DK2)
(832 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG