The online racing simulator
Hi simg, it looks like you have not extracted the patch correctly, because in the patch there is a DLL called LFSORDLL.dll and that should be in your LFS folder, where your LFS.exe is located. You may also be missing the shaders (which should be in a new folder data\shaders).

If you use the Self-Extracting Archive version of the patch:

1) Move or save the patch (.exe) into your main LFS folder
2) Double click the patch to extract it to that folder
3) When you see "Confirm File Replace" select "Yes to All"
4) Now you can start LFS in the normal way
thanks for the quick reply.

happy to be proved wrong, but I don't *think* it's as simple as not extracting the patch correctly. I've seen all the other posts where people have made this mistake and took care to ensure all the files were copied to the correct location.

I have a LFSORDLL.dll in the LFS folder and I also have data/shaders.

I initially used the "alternative zip" but just in case I've also tried the self-extracting archive version. No luck
That is really odd if the DLL is there but LFS can't load it!

It's using the standard "LoadLibrary" function.

Could it be anything to do with Windows permissions? For example would it work if you ran LFS as administrator?
'fraid not. just tried running as admin and same problem.

my "normal" user has read/execute permissions on the LFSORDLL.dll file anyway
latest patch gives replays great!
Quote from Scawen :I think it's unlikely that is related to the new runtime, because the graphics is through DirectX rather than Rift drivers. But I have not heard of that... I think we need to hear from anyone else who has used the new runtime. Does your version work normally, in 2D mode?

Yep, LFS runs fine in 2d mode.

Strange, just tried it again, and now it runs (wierd, because I didn't do anything different, I did a full reinstall, but it had still been not working after that, now it is), but it's in 2d mode in the rift. When I select 3D mode, and then the rift in the view menu, after it tells me to restart LFS in extended mode and I click OK it returns to the view menu and 2D is highlighted again, I assume 3D is highlighted for everyone else after they've gone through that process?
Quote from simg :'fraid not. just tried running as admin and same problem.

my "normal" user has read/execute permissions on the LFSORDLL.dll file anyway

Sorry, I don't know what this can be. I can't understand how LFS could not open LFSORDLL.dll if it's right there.

Where are they located on your hard drive? It's not recommended to put them in "program files" or whatever. It should be in something simple like C:\LFS

And if you are using a shortcut, is it definitely pointing to the right version, if there is more than one installation?
Files are in C:\LFS

I haven't tried to do anything "clever", just install LFS then copy over the 6F patch.

There are no other installations. The shortcut points to C:\LFS\LFS.exe (and the problem occurs even if I run the .exe directly)
Any screenshots of the 3rd person replay view? (It's hard to try out Rift mode sans rift now. Earlier tests would just go into rift display mode without device).
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Any screenshots of the 3rd person replay view? (It's hard to try out Rift mode sans rift now. Earlier tests would just go into rift display mode without device).

This I hope you get it solved, simg, I can't add any suggestions to that ... have you tried reinstalling LFS completely, with administrator?
>Any screenshots of the 3rd person replay view?

I didn't think this was related to my issue? (still not sure ?)

Tried re-installing, tried re-installing as admin (including applying the patch as admin)
worked no problem

a big thanks for the update, it's nice for them to keep coming

the replay system ....at last I can watch replays -thanks

I see you've done it this way to get implementation out quickly but it works totally fine, it's like watching a cinema screen

full spectator mode I guess is something different and would take a lot more
work

just one thing it's nice to have the 3d depth slider for the replay screen
is it a good idea to have this for driving too? or is there a particular 3d depth standard for the rift (that's suppose to match natural real world 3d) ???
Quote from adrianstealth :
just one thing it's nice to have the 3d depth slider for the replay screen
is it a good idea to have this for driving too? or is there a particular 3d depth standard for the rift (that's suppose to match natural real world 3d) ???

While playing you don't have a virtual screen, you ARE in the 3D world. That slider would only be used in the main menu, replays and maybe for the screen overlays.
Sorry for this super stupid question, but how do I get this to play on my Rift? I installed the patch but don't see any menu option for showing on the Rift.

It's DK2.

Thank you!
Quote from Scawen :

Changes from 0.6F2 to 0.6F3 :

Oculus Rift DK2 support :

- Set your DK2 to extended mode
- Windows settings - use extended desktop mode, not duplicated
- Make sure the DK2 screen is set to "portrait" mode in Windows
- Start LFS and click 3D on View Options Screen
- Select Oculus Rift and click OK
- You should be given the option to exit, ready to restart in Rift mode
- Start LFS after exiting by the previous method

The instructions a kinda hidden in the first post now, see above.
Issues with rift in extended mode
Hi guys, I've searched far and wide for help on this but can't find a solution so I'm turning to you. I'm hoping someone here has had this problem and figured out what was wrong.

When I put the rift in extended mode I just get flickering, which suggests that there is an incorrect refresh rate and/or resolution? I have been in every part of the display section for the past few hours, and no matter what setting I try, what pairing, orientation... anything at all, I can not get extended mode working on the rift. Often I get one of the eyes to work, but it is sideways and then the desktop ends up being upside down or sideways. Basically no matter what combination I try, it's never right.

The configuration demo works fine, although oddly enough once I exit it after the first time and try to launch it again, it will then start flickering as well. I've also managed to get Tuscany working.

VIDEO OF THE ISSUE
I apologize for the portrait video, wasn't thinking when I was recording.

As you can see from the video, I have got live for speed set up correctly and in oculus mode. I wouldn't associate the problem with live for speed, I have it as soon as it goes into extended mode as well.

Guys, I've been at this for hours and I am a long time sim racer dying to get in and have a go. Any help or pointers in the right direction would be really appreciated

Des
Wonderful Scawen! It installed with absolutely zero issues and runs great! Man is it ever beautiful and butter smooth! I really like the slider in the replay view too. Maybe it was there before but I just noticed it. And for some reason it looks like the resolution is higher than before. I can't say exactly what it is but it looks beautiful and seeing what is ahead is much easier than it was in 0.6F3 (the last patch I had installed before 0.6F6).

Side notes - I installed the Oculus 0.4.1 runtime over the 0.4.0 runtime and that went perfect. Then unzipped 0.6F6 into the LFS directory to overwrite the files there.

Couldn't be happier! It's really excellent work! Glad I bought S2 so I could try out the long version of the city track. Blew me away!
Quote from simg :>Any screenshots of the 3rd person replay view?

I didn't think this was related to my issue? (still not sure ?)

Tried re-installing, tried re-installing as admin (including applying the patch as admin)

Hi Simg.

I was able to reproduce the error by simply moving LFSORDLL.dll out of the installation path (c:\Program Files (x86)\LiveForSpeed for me). Here's what I'd suggest:

- You mentioned that you have read/execute permissions. As you may know, Windows has all sorts of lovely (detailed) user file/object permissions. I have no idea why yours would differ when you simply extract the files to your installation path, but mine look like this (using 8.1 x64... maybe not too different to 7):

SYSTEM - Full control
Administrators - Full control
Users - Read & execute
ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES - Read & execute

The dialog shows that these permissions are inherited from c:\Program Files (x86)\; since you're installing to LFS off of root, I wouldn't be surprised if they differ somehow. In any case, could you try granting "Full control" for all groups/users?

The dialog also shows that the file is owned by Administrators. You might want to try taking ownership of the file.

- You could try re-installing everything to C:\Program Files (x86)\LFS.

- Finally, you could use the excellent utility by SysInternals (now owned by MS, I believe) called Process Monitor and filter on the "path" to include "LFSORDLL.dll". That might provide more clues as to why the access is failing. You can download this excellent utility from MS TechNet here: http://technet.microsoft.com/e ... ysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Hope that helps.

PS - This should just work; it doesn't have to be an ordll.
You shouldn't install LFS to Program Files as the LFS does require admin permissions to operate on the LFS folder.

The default is set to C:\LFS specifically because writing the root of a drive doesn't require special permissions. That way,LFS can run under standard permissions while still being able to do everything.
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Quote from pab_ATR16 :Strange, just tried it again, and now it runs (wierd, because I didn't do anything different, I did a full reinstall, but it had still been not working after that, now it is), but it's in 2d mode in the rift.

I don't know how it got into that state, but if it is in 2D mode on the Rift, you can press ALT+F11 to instantly jump into Rift mode on the current device, in the current mode etc.

Quote from simg :There are no other installations. The shortcut points to C:\LFS\LFS.exe (and the problem occurs even if I run the .exe directly)

Thanks for trying! For the next patch I'll try to add more information if "LoadLibrary" fails. Windows may provide something in the error code.

Quote from adrianstealth :I see you've done it this way to get implementation out quickly but it works totally fine, it's like watching a cinema screen

It was the only way that really made sense to me, as the cameras are designed to work like TV cameras, it had to look like a TV or cinema.

Quote from adrianstealth :full spectator mode I guess is something different and would take a lot more work

Someone could do something with InSim, if you want to be continually jumped around the track chasing a selected car but not have the camera panning and zooming.

Quote from adrianstealth :just one thing it's nice to have the 3d depth slider for the replay screen is it a good idea to have this for driving too? or is there a particular 3d depth standard for the rift (that's suppose to match natural real world 3d) ???

Yes, Rift in driving view, SHIFT+U mode, helicopter / superman view, matches real world. The 3D slider in replay mode is viable because the camera is zoomed in and out, not matching true FOV from your viewpoint. For example the zero setting is reasonable, as most people watch TV and cinema that way. A 3D movie that you buy has the "3D slider" quite low in fact, because it needs to be able to work on a large TV without causing eye divergence.

Quote from Chriscic :Sorry for this super stupid question, but how do I get this to play on my Rift? I installed the patch but don't see any menu option for showing on the Rift.

After installing the patch, enter Options... View and there at the top you see a 3D button. LFS should help you from there!

Quote from ReallyDes :Hi guys, I've searched far and wide for help on this but can't find a solution so I'm turning to you. I'm hoping someone here has had this problem and figured out what was wrong.

When I put the rift in extended mode I just get flickering, which suggests that there is an incorrect refresh rate and/or resolution? I have been in every part of the display section for the past few hours, and no matter what setting I try, what pairing, orientation... anything at all, I can not get extended mode working on the rift. Often I get one of the eyes to work, but it is sideways and then the desktop ends up being upside down or sideways. Basically no matter what combination I try, it's never right.

Hi, I think it looks like you are using "Duplicate" or "Clone" mode on your desktop. But that doesn't really work now (it did on DK1 but not DK2 because it has a sideways screen). You need the ordinary extended desktop mode (Windows desktop setting) where you can slide a window across off your desktop and it slides into another part of the desktop that is shown on the Rift. The window that you slide onto the Rift must appear in the normal orientation and paradoxically, this is by setting "portrait" mode for that screen in your Windows settings. THEN you can make LFS work. After selecting 3D mode, LFS will do an auto-exit (after confirming with you first) and then when you start it again, it should take over the Rift device but not appear on the desktop.
Quote from Scawen :Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I don't know how it got into that state, but if it is in 2D mode on the Rift, you can press ALT+F11 to instantly jump into Rift mode on the current device, in the current mode etc.

Awesome, thanks, I'll give it a try when I get home tonight!
>Thanks for trying! For the next patch I'll try to add more information if "LoadLibrary" fails.

Sounds good, thanks for your help !

@TroutDeep: Good suggestion re: Process Monitor.

Attached a screenshot of the output related to LFSORDLL.dll which might provide some clues?

Also tried giving my user "Full Control" of the LFS folder but that didn't make any difference.
Do you have user access control turned on in windows?
>Do you have user access control turned on in windows?

Yes
simg, which CPU do you have?

I'm wondering if this is something to do with the AMD CPU issue in the Oculus SDK.

The Rift library (provided by Oculus) is included in the LFSORDLL.dll which is a simple wrapper allowing LFS access to the Rift library.

I don't know if any code is executed when the library is loaded. I guess not but then I don't know what the AMD CPU issue is all about.

EDIT : "FILE LOCKED WITH ONLY READERS" sounds a bit obscure, but have you tried restarting the computer?
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6F12 (Rift DK2)
(832 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG